PDA

View Full Version : Albany at Stony Brook - Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Albany Great Danes at Stony Brook Seawolves
November 26, 2011 · TBD · Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium · Stony Brook, N.Y.
Winner Advances to Face Sam Houston State in NCAA Second Round

Following the Game
GameTracker: TBA
Live Video: ESPN3 & ESPN3.com
Live Audio: Albany (http://www.foxsports980.com/mediaplayer/) ·Stony Brook (http://stream.wusb.stonybrook.edu:8090/listen.pls)

Game Day Weather Information (courtesy of Weather Underground) -
Stony Brook, N.Y. (http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:11790.1.99999)

Game Notes
Albany - TBD
Stony Brook - TBD

Twitter Feeds
@ualbanysports (http://twitter.com/ualbanysports)
@SBAthletics (http://twitter.com/SBAthletics)

Team Web Sites
Albany (http://www.ualbanysports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=15800&SPID=8009&SPSID=70366)
Stony Brook (http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/ston-m-footbl-spec-rel.html)

Other Helpful Links
UAlbany Blog Spot (http://uofalbany.blogspot.com/)
Sartogian (http://saratogian.com/) (covering Sarasota Springs, N.Y. region)
Stony Brook Statesman (http://www.sbstatesman.com/)
Albany Times Union (http://www.timesunion.com/)
Troy Record (http://therecordsports.blogspot.com/)

Team Fan Sites
Albany (http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com)
Stony Brook (http://sbufan.createaforum.com/)

oceandogs
November 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Stony Brook, Albany, and SHS seem to be very similar teams, especially SBU and SHS. It will be an interesting two games. Stony Brook kind of looks like SHS-lite so if Albany can get by Stony Brook, they should be have some confidence heading to Texas. If Stony Brook wins, it will be ineteresting matchup between two very similar teams.

superman7515
November 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Either way, someone is getting their first D1 playoff win. Fans ought to be excited for this one.

danefan
November 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Albany fan site

bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com

You can ignore the Saratogian. That coverage sucks.

The Troy Record is much better. Andrew Santillo is a good writer and has started following FCS more generally.

His blog http://therecordsports.blogspot.com/

Dane96
November 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Stony Brook, Albany, and SHS seem to be very similar teams, especially SBU and SHS. It will be an interesting two games. Stony Brook kind of looks like SHS-lite so if Albany can get by Stony Brook, they should be have some confidence heading to Texas. If Stony Brook wins, it will be ineteresting matchup between two very similar teams.

You're smoking something. SHSU is on another playing field right now.

Lafalumni29
November 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Don't know much about Albany but Stony Brook has the best backs youl have seen all season in Maysonet and Jackolski. If you can force them to 3rd and longs, you will win the game. They want to run 35-45 times a game.

Dane96
November 20th, 2011, 04:59 PM
If you don't know much about Albany...how can you say that?

Faced Nate Eachus...before his injury. Pushaun Brown of Maine 'aint too shabby either. Other dude...he goes by the name of Larry McCoy. Check him out on the Duquense website.

Oh....and there is this other guy, Jordan Brown...who may be the best running back in the FCS...and at the very least is in the Top 5. Jordan, rushed for nearly 2000 yards...yes...that's right...2000 yards (He finished with 1815 yards).

Folks...the NEC is a running league...we face good backs on a weekly basis. I didn't even include Harbridge and Williams (SFPA and Wagner respectively). Let's not act like Stony Brook has LaDanian over there...and UA has the run defense of Swiss Cheese.

That said...Maysonet is a tremendous back.

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM
In some key categories...

RUSHING OFFENSE
No. 3 Stony Brook 287.36 ypg
No. 7 Sam Houston State 250.00 ypg
No. 27 Albany 190.73 ypg

SCORING OFFENSE
No. 1 Stony Brook 39.64 ppg
No. 2 Sam Houston State 39.45 ppg
No. 16 Albany 34.18 ppg

RUSHING DEFENSE
No. 1 Sam Houston State 59.00 ypg
No. 9 Stony Brook 95.36 ypg
No. 60 Albany 151.45 ypg

SCORING DEFENSE
No. 1 Sam Houston State 12.64 ppg
No. 30 Stony Brook 21.91 ppg
No. 35 Albany 22.45 ppg

PASS EFFICIENCY
No. 3 Sam Houston State 160.71
No. 9 Albany 153.48
No. 20 Stony Brook 145.40

KICKOFF RETURNS
No. 1 Stony Brook 28.10 ypr
No. 68 Sam Houston State 20.32 ypr
No. 107 Albany 17.79 ypr

TURNOVER MARGIN
No. 2 Sam Houston State 2.18
No. 4 Stony Brook 1.45
No. 24 Albany .73

Tim James
November 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Why are these schools not in the same conference ?

oceandogs
November 20th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Why are these schools not in the same conference ?

Stony Brook left the NEC to go full scholarship.

Tim James
November 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah I remember now it was about scholarships. Still seems odd this is a non conference game. The Big South doesnt seem like a "full scholarship" quality kind of league to me. From an outsider's perspective it doesnt seem like its much better than the NEC.

oceandogs
November 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM
If you don't know much about Albany...how can you say that?

Faced Nate Eachus...before his injury. Pushaun Brown of Maine 'aint too shabby either. Other dude...he goes by the name of Larry McCoy. Check him out on the Duquense website.

Oh....and there is this other guy, Jordan Brown...who may be the best running back in the FCS...and at the very least is in the Top 5. Jordan, rushed for nearly 2000 yards...yes...that's right...2000 yards (He finished with 1815 yards).

Folks...the NEC is a running league...we face good backs on a weekly basis. I didn't even include Harbridge and Williams (SFPA and Wagner respectively). Let's not act like Stony Brook has LaDanian over there...and UA has the run defense of Swiss Cheese.

That said...Maysonet is a tremendous back.

You're in for a big surprise if you think this is a run of the mill NEC backfield.

dgreco
November 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM
You're in for a big surprise if you think this is a run of the mill NEC backfield.

I think his point was the NEC is the run of the mill backfields. The NEC historically has been a run first league and has had great backs year in and year out

oceandogs
November 20th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I still don't think Albany has seen anything like what Stony Brook will bring to the table offensively. Stony Brook beat Coastal Carolina 42-0 during the nor'easter without completing a pass. Stony Brook beat Lafayette 37-20 completing only one pass(There was a change at quarterback after the Lafayette game who has one of the highest qb ratings in FCS football at 172.89). They're currently averaging 287 rushing yards per game. I have no doubt there are some very talented backs in the NEC, but I think Stony Brook has a IA backfield.

Lafalumni29
November 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Lafalumni29
November 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I still don't think Albany has seen anything like what Stony Brook will bring to the table offensively. Stony Brook beat Coastal Carolina 42-0 during the nor'easter without completing a pass. Stony Brook beat Lafayette 37-20 completing only one pass(There was a change at quarterback after the Lafayette game who has one of the highest qb ratings in FCS football at 172.89). They're currently averaging 287 rushing yards per game. I have no doubt there are some very talented backs in the NEC, but I think Stony Brook has a IA backfield.

Maysonet and Jackolski turned down Syracuse and UCONN, respectively.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
The SUNY Super Bowl!xthumbsupx

Dane96
November 20th, 2011, 07:56 PM

How many FCS games other than Stony Brook have you watched and / or attended in the NEC this year...

Dane96
November 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I think his point was the NEC is the run of the mill backfields. The NEC historically has been a run first league and has had great backs year in and year out

Thank you.

This is par for the course with Ocean Dogs on the AE boards. Hasn't been around long enough to register on a Geigermeter...but knows all about FCS football and each league....

Dane96
November 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Maysonet and Jackolski turned down Syracuse and UCONN, respectively.

Ummmmm....yeah...Maysonet turned FBS teams down (more than one) for instant playing time at SBU...as would I and anyone else on the board after the Hofstra debacle.

I NEVER SAID MAYSONET WASN'T GOOD. HE IS VERY GOOD-- YES I PUT THIS IN CAPS.

That said, stop acting like Albany hasn't faced a cache of backs over the years and this year. This year alone we have faced some of the premier running backs out there.

And for the record, Dan DiLella turned down UCONN, and both teams have numerous players who decided to play FCS for one reason or another instead of FBS. Same with about every FCS team left.

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
As a fan of Northeast football I am very interested in this game. Just watched Stony Brook defeat Liberty---very exciting game! Good luck to both!

danefan
November 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Another part of this that adds some interest:

The active Division I wins leader (Bob Ford - 255 wins) is matched up against one of his disciples in Chuch Priore.

Priore not only coached under Bob Ford at Albany, but he also played for CoachFord and is a member of the UAlbany athletics hall of fame.

Great story lines here.

danefan
November 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Albany also has 23 players from NYC and Long Island on the roster tht were probably all looked at by SBU at some point.

I'm sure there are going to be a lot of former teammates playing against each other this weekend!

Dane96
November 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Indeed.

You know the committee salivated over this matchup as soon as Stony Brook beat Liberty.

My guess, the conversation in the room went something like this:

Playoff Chair: "So, Albany didn't put in a bid for a home game, would have been nice to reward Bob...so what time should we slot the Albany at Stony Brook matchup on Saturday. On a side note, are they getting a damned Stadium already?" (OK...so the last part probably never happened...)

Committee: "Whatever time ESPN gives us for ESPN3".

Playoff Chair: "Ok, moving on...so ODU has become a power in a short time...and they will pack the stadium. How long will it take the Norkfolk State crowd to drive up the road."

Committee: "Meh, are we talking traffic...or no traffic...remember, it's a holiday weekend."

Playoff Chair: "Now on to real decisions..."

Seawolf97
November 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
In some key categories...

RUSHING OFFENSE
No. 3 Stony Brook 287.36 ypg
No. 7 Sam Houston State 250.00 ypg
No. 27 Albany 190.73 ypg

SCORING OFFENSE
No. 1 Stony Brook 39.64 ppg
No. 2 Sam Houston State 39.45 ppg
No. 16 Albany 34.18 ppg

RUSHING DEFENSE
No. 1 Sam Houston State 59.00 ypg
No. 9 Stony Brook 95.36 ypg
No. 60 Albany 151.45 ypg

SCORING DEFENSE
No. 1 Sam Houston State 12.64 ppg
No. 30 Stony Brook 21.91 ppg
No. 35 Albany 22.45 ppg

PASS EFFICIENCY
No. 3 Sam Houston State 160.71
No. 9 Albany 153.48
No. 20 Stony Brook 145.40

KICKOFF RETURNS
No. 1 Stony Brook 28.10 ypr
No. 68 Sam Houston State 20.32 ypr
No. 107 Albany 17.79 ypr

TURNOVER MARGIN
No. 2 Sam Houston State 2.18
No. 4 Stony Brook 1.45
No. 24 Albany .73

The tale of the tape. But it will still come down to Saturday on the field.

oceandogs
November 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Thank you.

This is par for the course with Ocean Dogs on the AE boards. Hasn't been around long enough to register on a Geigermeter...but knows all about FCS football and each league....

Dane, who do you think Albany has played that runs the ball better than Stony Brook? Albany may very well be better prepared for Stony Brook's running game than maybe Liberty was because of NEC play. I don't really know. I honestly think Stony Brook will have the two of the best backs Albany will have seen all season, and they will be a part of the best rushing offense they have seen. It's just my opinion. We'll see how things go.

Redwyn
November 20th, 2011, 11:14 PM
A very intriguing matchup, and another chapter to a Seawolf/Great Dane rivalry that has heated up over the last year or so.

Looking forward to this Saturday :-)

danefan
November 21st, 2011, 05:27 AM
The jabs are starting:

UAlbany junior tailback Drew Smith said he thought the Great Danes would draw "a big-time'' team Saturday, rather than Stony Brook, also making its first FCS playoff*appearance.
"It's perfect, someone we've beaten in the past,'' Smith said. "If we beat them, it wouldn't be a surprise to any of*us."

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-draws-former-rival-Stony-Brook-2279798.php#ixzz1eL2FtnZK

Dane96
November 21st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Yikes...love Drew...love the enthusiasm...but Holy Baby Jesus...that's some serious bulletin board material he provided.

danefan
November 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM
Yikes...love Drew...love the enthusiasm...but Holy Baby Jesus...that's some serious bulletin board material he provided.

I'm almost 100% positive Singleas interpreted it that way more than Drew actually saying it, but it's good message board fodder nonetheless.

But there's nothing untrue about it. This is the 19 vs 20 matchup in the field.

Dane96
November 21st, 2011, 06:51 AM
True (though I think NSU is the worst team in the field)

danefan
November 21st, 2011, 07:37 AM
True (though I think NSU is the worst team in the field)

True, I do think both SBU and Albany are better than NSU.

danefan
November 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM

For what its worth, I think Jordan Brown from Bryant is the best RB in the entire FCS this year. He did get 155 against Albany, but it took him 34 carries to do it.

TexasTerror
November 21st, 2011, 08:21 AM
SHSU head coach on possible second round foes...

“I don’t know anything about either one of those clubs and I doubt anyone on our staff knows anything about either one,” Sam Houston head coach Willie Fritz said. “We’re going to have to start doing our homework and finding things out about those clubs so we can start game-planning. They’re good, quality teams, we just don’t know much about them right now.”

http://itemonline.com/sports/x229373187/Returning-to-the-playoffs-for-the-first-time-in-seven-years-and-the-news-just-keeps-getting-better

M Ruler
November 21st, 2011, 08:29 AM
First off I LOVE what Drew Smith has put out there!!! Good for him. It will serve as a motivator and it shows the mindset of the team. This is the mindset that let them run through the NEC(with the exception of the Bryant game where they thought too much of themselves) If they dont think like this then they shouldnt have made the playoffs and will have an early exit.

As for SBU's running backs, yes they are good. OceanDog needs to calm down. UA is not facing Emmit Smith & Eric Dickerson on Saturday they are playing a Hofstra transfer and a kid that for one reason or another didnt make it to UCONN or Temple or wherever. Don't kid yourself Ocean Dog, Jordan Brown from Bryant and Nate Eachus from Colgate, when healthy are every bit as good as Batman and Robin from SBU.

And for the record, everyone for this game needs to put things in perspective, SBU & Albany are not Georgia Southern or SHSU. In fact along with the Norfolk, these are the 3 weakest teams at the dance.

Good luck to SBU because the pressure is all on you.

danefan
November 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
First off I LOVE what Drew Smith has put out there!!! Good for him. It will serve as a motivator and it shows the mindset of the team. This is the mindset that let them run through the NEC(with the exception of the Bryant game where they thought too much of themselves) If they dont think like this then they shouldnt have made the playoffs and will have an early exit.

As for SBU's running backs, yes they are good. OceanDog needs to calm down. UA is not facing Emmit Smith & Eric Dickerson on Saturday they are playing a Hofstra transfer and a kid that for one reason or another didnt make it to UCONN or Temple or wherever. Don't kid yourself Ocean Dog, Jordan Brown from Bryant and Nate Eachus from Colgate, when healthy are every bit as good as Batman and Robin from SBU.

And for the record, everyone for this game needs to put things in perspective, SBU & Albany are not Georgia Southern or SHSU. In fact along with the Norfolk, these are the 3 weakest teams at the dance.

Good luck to SBU because the pressure is all on you.

Ruler - you got your "That's all you get with 63 scholarships" signs dusted off from the Hofstra game a few years ago?

Man - what a nightmare for SBU if they lose this game.....especially for recruiting Long Island.

M Ruler
November 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Ruler - you got your "That's all you get with 63 scholarships" signs dusted off from the Hofstra game a few years ago?

Man - what a nightmare for SBU if they lose this game.....especially for recruiting Long Island.

LOLOLOLOL I remember that game. I should of been beaten up when I kept shouting that to the Hofstra faithful. A few too many martini's at pregame I suppose.

Thats the point I have been saying all along. Lose this game to a team with 40ish scholarships and thats a problem for SBU.

I watched their game against Liberty and frankly was not that impressed with Liberty. They had a terriffic qb & wr that shredded SBU. When push came to shove SBU used the Bob Ford formula of 3 yards annd a cloud of dust...and it worked. BTW I am not sure who #98 for Liberty was but he looked bigger than most NFL d lineman. Just huge but was gassed at games end.

Redwyn
November 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM
BTW I am not sure who #98 for Liberty was but he looked bigger than most NFL d lineman. Just huge but was gassed at games end.

Asa Chapman. Huge player, but was tremendously out of shape all season. It also doesn't help when you're charged with cocaine possession....then reinstated by a "purist" Christian University. But I digress.

Stony Brook is clearly in the same position against Albany that Hofstra puts itself in every time they play us:
win = expected, whatever
lose = that's a big hit

SBU will do fine - there's a reason, afterall, why Bob Ford refuses to play us. More schollies take a huge toll late in games. But Albany is a solid squad, and clearly hungry. Will be a hard fought game from gun to gun, that's clear.

M Ruler
November 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
Asa Chapman. Huge player, but was tremendously out of shape all season. It also doesn't help when you're charged with cocaine possession....then reinstated by a "purist" Christian University. But I digress.

Stony Brook is clearly in the same position against Albany that Hofstra puts itself in every time they play us:
win = expected, whatever
lose = that's a big hit

SBU will do fine - there's a reason, afterall, why Bob Ford refuses to play us. More schollies take a huge toll late in games. But Albany is a solid squad, and clearly hungry. Will be a hard fought game from gun to gun, that's clear.

Lose and that is a huge hit. The pressure is clearly on SBU. You should be favored. You guys have the superior facilities as well as an advantage in scholarships for the time being, but you can only play 11 at a time. I agree, late in the game is where SBU will have the advantage.

I believe Albany's advantage is they have absolutly nothing to lose in this game. They will match up well size wise. Not sure about speed as I am not familiar with SBU's speed, although I hear SBU has the two best backs in the history of college football.

This will be an interesting game for sure. IMHO Albany has a few advantagges. Albany's punter is one of the best at this level. Ford will have them ready to play.

I really dont think Ford is "dodging SBU" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL have you seen our schedule over the years??? Montana, Georgia Southern, Delaware. I am pretty sure Ford doesnt dodge anyone.To be honest, I always heard that Chuck was the one who didnt want to play Albany. I do hope this rivalry is revitalized.

Personally, I think our AD made a mistake when we didnt go to the Big south in tandem with SBU.

mainejeff
November 21st, 2011, 11:39 AM
Personally, I think our AD made a mistake when we didnt go to the Big south in tandem with SBU.

Agreed. Looking toward the future, the problem for Albany is that Stony Brook is ready to step into CAA Football membership if it is offered while Albany still has to ramp up on scholarships and stadium.

TheRevSFA
November 21st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Gooooo Canine Animal from New York!?!?!

Guess that's too general of a cheer...

oceandogs
November 21st, 2011, 01:05 PM
I believe Albany's advantage is they have absolutly nothing to lose in this game. They will match up well size wise. Not sure about speed as I am not familiar with SBU's speed, although I hear SBU has the two best backs in the history of college football.

Come on, I said Stony Brook will have two of the best backs Albany will have seen all year. I think that's reasonable.

Lafalumni29
November 21st, 2011, 02:01 PM
Ummmmm....yeah...Maysonet turned FBS teams down (more than one) for instant playing time at SBU...as would I and anyone else on the board after the Hofstra debacle.

I NEVER SAID MAYSONET WASN'T GOOD. HE IS VERY GOOD-- YES I PUT THIS IN CAPS.

That said, stop acting like Albany hasn't faced a cache of backs over the years and this year. This year alone we have faced some of the premier running backs out there.

And for the record, Dan DiLella turned down UCONN, and both teams have numerous players who decided to play FCS for one reason or another instead of FBS. Same with about every FCS team left.

Geez, stop the whining. No one ever said Albany DIDN'T have some athletes of its own. My simple point was that they will have their hands full with those two.

I also said that if you can stop their run game, you will win.

xbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawl ingx

M Ruler
November 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM
Come on, I said Stony Brook will have two of the best backs Albany will have seen all year. I think that's reasonable.

LOL I know I just wanted to get the board going. I was impressed with their running game when I watched them on Saturday against Liberty. I still think Jordan brown was the best UA has faced.

IaaScribe
November 21st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Stony Brook's quarterback is very smart, very efficient. Can't sleep on him. Chuck Priore is a hell of a coach.

oceandogs
November 21st, 2011, 02:33 PM
Stony Brook's quarterback is very smart, very efficient. Can't sleep on him. Chuck Priore is a hell of a coach.

In my opinion, Stony Brook would be 10 and 1 right now if Essington started the first four games.

IaaScribe
November 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case. It's hard to call him just a game manager, because he can make some throws and is mobile to boot. But at least Saturday, when talking to the Liberty defensive players, they noted that SBU never put Essington in a position to fail with the play calls they made. He wasn't forced to throw into bad spots or anything like that. I'm not sure he'll ever be with that running game. And Norrell did a great job finding dead spots in the zone to make big catches on second and long. I think Stony Brook could be a dangerous team in this tournament.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 22nd, 2011, 01:44 AM
SBU might be the most underrated team in the tournament. Since that brutal 3 game stretch to start the season SBU has been extremely dominant. The Seawolves have won their last 8 games by an average of 48-19.

danefan
November 22nd, 2011, 06:34 AM
SBU might be the most underrated team in the tournament. Since that brutal 3 game stretch to start the season SBU has been extremely dominant. The Seawolves have won their last 8 games by an average of 48-19.

Against teams with a combined record of 20-50 (13 of those wins were by two teams).

No doubt SBU ran through the rest of their schedule.

oceandogs
November 22nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
No argument that the Big South isn't a strong conference, but would anyone agree that Big South has some of the toughest non conference schedules in the country? By my count the 7 Big South teams played 10 IA games, 7 socon, and 3 caa. Presbyterian in particular played a ridiculous schedule-How many wins did coach Nichols think his team was going to walk away with when he scheduled Cal, Wofford, Furman, and Georgia Southern?

TexasTerror
November 23rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sports Network prediction...

ALBANY GREAT DANES (8-3) at No. 22 STONY BROOK SEAWOLVES (8-3)

DATE & TIME: Saturday, Nov. 26, 2 p.m. (et).

FACTS & STATS: Site: Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium (8,136) - Stony Brook, NY. Surface: FieldTurf. Television: ESPN3.com. Announcers; Shawn Kenney and Rob Harley. Home record: Albany 4-2, Stony Brook 5-1. Away record: Albany 4-1, Stony Brook 3-2. Conference: Albany - Northeast; Stony Brook - Big South. Nicknames: Albany Great Danes; Stony Brook Seawolves. Series record: Stony Brook (9-4). Last meeting: Oct. 6, 2007 (Albany, 24-23 at Albany 24). Series Streak: Stony Brook has won two of the last three meetings. Head coaches: Albany - Bob Ford (43rd season, 255-177-1 at Albany and overall); Stony Brook - Chuck Priore (sixth season, 36-30 at Stony Brook; 75-39 overall). FCS playoff records: Albany 0-0; Stony Brook 0-0. Previous FCS Playoff Appearances: Albany 0; Stony Brook 0. Sports Network/Fathead.com Rankings: Albany (NR); Stony Brook (22).

GAME NOTES: Stony Brook head coach Chuck Priore will face his alma mater and his mentor, Albany head coach Bob Ford, when both programs make FCS playoff debuts. The two have squared off twice before as head coaches, with the home team winning each time.

A fullback in Ford's wingbone offense and still among the top-10 rushers in Albany history, Priore may not run the option, but with a running back tandem of Miguel Maysonet (135 ypg) and Brock Jackolski (111.7 ypg) the Seawolves attack is a run-oriented unit. With a rotating-back system, Stony Brook always seems to have a fresh pair of legs carrying the ball, a dangerous weapon in an offense that has scored 40-plus points in seven straight games.

Albany's offense has been explosive as well, scoring 40-or-more points in four games, three of which have come on the road. However, a track-meet-style contest would favor Stony Brook, so Albany's game plan will likely consist of controlling the clock with multi-purpose back Andrew Smith (101.1 ypg) and relying on quarterback Dan Di Lella to make smart decisions and limit turnovers.

Since its bye in Week 5, Stony Brook's defense hasn't been tested much and has benefited from playing with the lead. Practicing against the nation's top- ranked scoring offense hasn't hurt, either. Albany's defense may allow close to 350 yards per game, but the unit has buckled down in the red zone and opponents have scored touchdowns just 58 percent of the time (21 of 36).

Both teams have been playing playoff-style football for much of the season coming from one-bid leagues. Albany lost to Bryant in Week 9 and needed to win out to keep Duquesne from claiming the trip to the playoffs. Stony Brook defeated Liberty last weekend, 41-31, becoming the first team in Big South history to finish 6-0 in conference play.

Prediction: Stony Brook 44, Albany 31.

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/shapiro/index.htm

Seawolf97
November 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Sports Network prediction...

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/shapiro/index.htm

Almost the same score as last week. I think our depth will wear down the Great Danes in the 2nd half just as we wore down Liberty.This will be more of problem for Albany with the disparity in scholarship players than it was for Liberty. Final SBU 42 U of A 28.

danefan
November 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
The series record is wrong. Im pretty sure Albany leads it 10-4.

jaghatai
November 24th, 2011, 11:37 AM
They do have it wrong. Officially, Albany leads the series 9-4.

danefan
November 24th, 2011, 05:07 PM
They do have it wrong. Officially, Albany leads the series 9-4.

Looks like I got ahead of myself with the 10 wins. xsmiley_wix

Welcome to the board Jag

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM
lets go Stony Brook...

UAalum72
November 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Albany media guide says 10-4, but that includes 1973 when SBU was still a club team, doesn't include 1972 when both were clubs (also an Albany win).

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Stony Brook in a romp - not even close. 45-10 Wolves

danefan
November 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM
ALBANY — University at Albany football coach Bob Ford is more than happy to portray Saturday's UAlbany-Stony Brook FCS playoff game as a battle between New York's favored sons and the kids from the wrong side of the Long Island Rail Road*tracks.
One school has all the chips — in resources, facilities, and scholarships (63 for Stony Brook, 36 for*UA).
What does UAlbany have in its*favor?
A single chip, one it doesn't have to fabricate. Oh, and it's a big one, resting large on its collective*shoulder.
"Those guys are good, but, I mean, you look at their stadium and their jerseys; they look like they got all the state money," UAlbany running back Drew Smith said. "Their stadium is unreal. They have black Nike jerseys. Kind of wish that was us. I wish we got all that stuff. We've been dying for it, struggling, kicking and scratching for every last*penny."

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-bets-chip-vs-chips-2291592.php#ixzz1ejPxnASm

jaghatai
November 25th, 2011, 07:21 PM
It's going to be an ugly one. I don't think Albany is as "high-powered" as Liberty was as far as offense goes, and I think SBU's size wears down Albany's line as the game progresses. SBU had problems with stopping the big play early in the year, and they've gotten very conservative defensively to correct that. If Albany can take advantage of the soft zone, it could get very interesting.

My prediction: SBU 35 - Albany 28

It could easily go the other way, and regardless of the outcome, it's not going to be easy.

danefan
November 26th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Lots of good coverage leading up to this game:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Morgan-s-added-incentive-2293316.php

http://troyrecord.com/articles/2011/11/26/sports/doc4ed07b1a9f20c877029054.txt?viewmode=fullstory

http://troyrecord.com/articles/2011/11/26/sports/doc4ed07c05e0810621223946.txt?viewmode=fullstory

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 01:02 PM
no stream for this game?

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:06 PM
And it's game on. Good coverage for Albany on the kickoff and no gain for SBU on the first play.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Very nice crowd for Stony Brook. The home side is filled. Third and four upcoming from the 26.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Third down short completion is turned into a big play and a PF to boot on a late hit out of bounds. First down for SBU at the UA 16.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Unbalanced line and a run by Jackolski to the 7.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:10 PM
A lot of shifting and again an unbalanced line for SBU, but a loss on a run brings up third and two.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Maynoset is short by inches. Fourth down and our first big play.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Short-side sweep by Maynoset, loss of one. Very curious call on fourth and inches. Albany ball.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM
We're watching JMU-EKU in the press box. EKU is showing it belongs in the playoffs thus far with a 17-7 lead in the third.

Third and six for UA at its own 12.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM
First down pass from Di Lella to Nick Hutcherson at the 20.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Lots of good coverage leading up to this game:

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Morgan-s-added-incentive-2293316.php

http://troyrecord.com/articles/2011/11/26/sports/doc4ed07b1a9f20c877029054.txt?viewmode=fullstory

http://troyrecord.com/articles/2011/11/26/sports/doc4ed07c05e0810621223946.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Are you in the house, today?

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Third and 10 for Albany. Pass is overthrown out of bounds, intended for Kirchner.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Stony Brook takes over at its own 46 for its second drive.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I hate the NCAA media time outs. Long waits ...

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Great play fake by Essington on first down and a bump gets separation in the secondary, but the pass incomplete.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM
SBU is getting its running game unleashed now. Second and four from the UA 36.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Essington misfires on a waggle that was open. Third and four and Jackolski goes for a first down at the 29.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Jackolski again to the 17 for a first down. A push by SBU after a false start results in an unsportsmanlike penalty.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Albany holds and SBU will try a field goal from 48 yards out. Wesley Skiffington hits it long, but it strikes the left upright. 0-0 with 3:58 left in the first period.

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Looks like a nice crowd....not a sellout but close. My guess is most students are home.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
A screwed up reverse pass almost ends in disaster for UA, but instead the Danes get a complete of an awful pass at the SBU 45.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Kirchner completion at the SBU 34 for a first down for the Danes.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Wide open in the flat on the Stony Brook zone is Kirchner for a first down at the 21.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Di Lella scrambles down to the goal line, but an illegal block wipes it out and Albany will be backed up to the 20 with a first down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Pass interference in the end zone on Stony Brook will give the Danes a first down on the two.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Smith is stopped at the one, second down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Smith leaps into the end zone for the TD and it is Albany 7, Stony Brook 0 with 19.8 second left in the first period.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Looks like a nice crowd....not a sellout but close. My guess is most students are home.

There are just a handful of empty seats here. I've heard it is the best crowd of the year for Stony Brook. A handful of Albany fans made it down as well.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Nice blocking for Stony Brook on the kickoff return and Jackolski returns it 30 yards to the SBU 40.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Drop for Matt Brevi on a slant that was open.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Jackolski counters for two on second down as the first quarter ends. Third and 8 upcoming.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Good TV game for ESPNU as JMU has tied EKU at 17 in the fourth period.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Essington is pressure and throws short on third down to force a punt. SBU has killed itself with poor execution and penalties. And the punt is blocked and returned for a TD by Brian Parker. Albany 14, Stony Brook 0 at the 14:47 mark of the second period. It looked like Parker also blocked the punt.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Stony Brook is the top scoring team in FCS, averaging 40 points per game. The Seawolves are going to need to get untracked to make this a game.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
SBU avoids a three and out with a pass completion for a first down at the UA 49.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Jackolski works for a first down run to the UA 37 with a 9-yard gain.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Jackolski finds a small hole and turns it into five more yards.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
The Seawolves seem to have seen something in the films to attack UA on weakside sweeps to the right side of the line. First down for Maysonet at the 24.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Sack for UA on second down and it will be third and long from the 27 after a six-yard loss.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM
SBU completes a slant to the 22 to set up Skiffington for a 39-yard FG. The snap is a little low, but he drills it through to make it Albany 14, Stony Brook 3 with 9:04 left in the half.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Fumble by UA's Smith on the kickoff at the one and he is stopped at the 11.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Waggle pass falls incomplete on first down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Good tackle on a bubble screen and it brings up third and five for UA at the 16.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Di Lella dumps a swing pass out in the flat for two yards and UA will have to punt.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:00 PM
One of the top punters in the country, Paul Layton hit his second bad kick of the day for 33 yards and SBU will take over at the midfield stripe midway through the second period.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Maysonet used a counter to go for eight and then finished off a first down a play later to the UA 39.

UNHFan
November 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM
This game is cleary getting one of ESPN's top Broadcast Crews this is A1 coverage great Editing, instant replays and the announcers are excellent.

The JMU Game is pretty low end coverage

Go!Seawolvves

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Offsides on UA gives SBU another five yards to the 34. Low pass in the flat is incomplete by Essington. Second and five upcoming.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
SBU gets down to the 22 on a first-down run and a face mask adds yardage to the UA 11. First and 10.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Matt Brevi is one of numerous players open on a waggle and Essington hits him for the 11-yard TD pass. Albany 14, Stony Brook 10 with 5:44 left in the half.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Good return for UA to the 40.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:11 PM
JMU just beat EKU on a final-play field goal to win 20-17.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Third and seven from the UA 43and Albany will use a time out with 5:04 left in the second period. Near interception goes off the hands of a defender. UA avoids a costly mistake and Layton is on to punt again.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Finally a good, high 41-yard punt for Layton and it is a fair catch at the SBU 12.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Albany is doing a good, scrappy job along the defensive front against SBU's strong rushing attack.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Second-down pass to the 22 for a first down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Maysonet slides off tacklers on a pitch play and cuts inside for 9 yards.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Good coverage on a dangerous slant and safety Jake Ciccarello makes another play. He has been all over the place.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Nice blocking on a sweep and Maysonet goes to the 43 of SBU for another first down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Essington slips and is hit hard for a sack at the SBU 35 on play-action on first down. Second and 18.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Maysonet on a draw to the 43. Third and 10 upcoming.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Essington is holding the ball way too long and takes another sack. SBU will punt from its own 39. The Seawolves need to just line up and run the ball and forget about the cutsy play-action stuff. 46 seconds left in the half.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Another pressure on the punt by the same guy. Albany will try to getting something going at the 22.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
First down pass for UA to the 32.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Pass to Kirchner at the UA 38. 29 seconds left.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Nice counter screen set up well and takes the ball to the SBU 44. Final Albany time out with 18.8 seconds left.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Big strike for 44-yard from Di Lella to Cole King on a skinny post for a shocking TD and it is Albany 21, Stony Brook 10 as the half nears an end.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Di Lella did a good job of looking to both sidelines and then going back in the middle, where King was one-on-one. Nice play. Earlier in the drive, Coach Bob Ford got hit on the first play along the sidelines, but appears to be okay. Coach Ford is one of my favorite people in FCS.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Stony Brook returns the kickoff to the 32, runs one play and it is halftime.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:30 PM
This game is cleary getting one of ESPN's top Broadcast Crews this is A1 coverage great Editing, instant replays and the announcers are excellent.

The JMU Game is pretty low end coverage

Go!Seawolvves

Good to hear. I only had video of the JMU-EKU game up here. The sound was turned down. Some people like Pam Ward, others don't. She was doing play-by-play for JMU-EKU. It seemed to be a sloppy game dominated by the defenses. JMU could be a dangerous opponent, however, against NDSU with the way the Dukes defend the run.

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Albany came ready to play!

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Coach Ford suffered a torn MCL on the final Albany drive of the first half, but he will be on the sideline coaching in the second half. I feel your pain, Coach Ford. I sprained an MCL, stepping in a groundhog hole while mowing the lawn on Father's Day. It took a couple of months to heal.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Dillon Romain ran for big yardage on the first play of the second half for Albany and the Danes are already down to the SBU 43 with a first down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Smith throws an option pass for a TD from 43 yards and it is Albany 28, Stony Brook 10 with 13:25 left.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Stony Brook better get things together defensively, or this is going to be a long day.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Smith has completed four passes this season, all for touchdowns.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Third and long for SBU.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Throw underneath is short of a first down and SBU has to punt. UA ball with 12:13 at the 26.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM
First down to the UA 40 on another waggle completion for 11 yards.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Another long pass to King is almost picked by safety Dan Mulrooney.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Third and 8 upcoming after a Smith draw.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:00 PM
A screen pass is defended and UA will punt from its own 45.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Layton's long, high punt was almost downed at the one, but trickled into the end zone, past a coverage guy. SBU ball at the 20 with 9:51 left in the third period.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Another third and long for SBU and Essington avoids running and completes a pass to Arce to the UA 43.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:05 PM
You have to give Albany a lot of credit for its defensive line play in keeping the SBU running attack in check.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Nice slotback screen for 15 and a first down at the UA 32.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Two yards for Jackolski to the 30 on first down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Maysonet off-tackle for three. Third and five from the 27.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Nice play design to get Brevi open on play action and Essington is just off for an incompletion. Fourth down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Essington fakes a dive and keeps it for a first down to the 18.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Jackolski battles down to the six for a 12-yard gain, breaking a couple of tackles.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Jackolski goes off-tackle and hits the corner for six points.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Albany 28, Stony Brook 17 after the extra point with 4:10 left in the third period. Now the pressure begins to go onto the Stony Brook defense.

Wildcat80
November 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Any more Albany scores and SB is done.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Good coverage by SBU on the kickoff and Albany will start at the 19.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Any more Albany scores and SB is done.

Stony Brook can score with anyone. This is a long way from over. But the Seawolves don't want to have to be put in total passing mode.

slostang
November 26th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Score and time left?

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:17 PM
A great break on a pass by cornerback Donald Porter looked like an interception, but the officials said it hit the turf inside the 35. Albany picked up a first down at the 30 on third and one.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Ball hit the ground, TV replay showed it clearly.

Mr. C
Albany is mixing plays well and has a first down passing to the UA 46 with 2:23 left in the third period.

Mr. C
Interception this time by Porter is good and SBU is in business at its own 47.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
That one was a pick for sure!!

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Ball hit the ground, TV replay showed it clearly.

The play was on the other side of the field and we are not getting replays for some reason up here. Thanks for the update.

slostang
November 26th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Got it. 28-17 Albany 2:05 left in the 3rd.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:20 PM
That one was a pick for sure!!

Indeed. Big play in this game. Albany went to the well too often.

Bogus Megapardus
This has been the best of all the first-round games this afternoon. Plus, a very good sized, enthusiastic crowd.

Mr. C
Jacolski on a wheel route for a long TD pass and it is suddenly a game. Albany 28, Stony Brook 24 with 1:16 left in the third.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
This has been the best of all the first-round games this afternoon. Plus, a very good sized, enthusiastic crowd.

It wasn't a very enthusiastic crowd earlier in this quarter, but it is now. Considering the bad atmosphere I had seen here previously, this is a big difference.

Wildcat80
If there is a home field advantage SB just got it back.

Mr. C
UA will start at the 27 after the kickoff.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:23 PM
If there is a home field advantage SB just got it back.

It is getting loud here.

Mr. C
Smith stopped for a loss of one.

Dane96
McCarthy...shat the pooch with his playcalling in that last series...and now he wants to run the clock? Suspect.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Another waggle and Albany has the play almost blow up. The Danes have used the bootleg action too many times today. Third and 11.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
What looked like a Statue of Liberty counter screen play is dropped. Fourth down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Another nice punt and coverage for Layton and the punt team. Stony Brook takes the ball at its own 20. 16 seconds left in the period.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Kevin Norell on a double move for 38 yards to the UA 42 on the final play of the third period. Norell went out of bounds on the play, but reestablished himself on the field.

UMass922
Terrific throw there . . . SB will start the quarter in Albany territory.

Dane96
I will give SBU huge credit for taking advantage of what we have just decided to do...they have executed flawlessly in the last 5 minutes...but holy ****, Albany's coaching really owns this.

Terribly hard pass called; go to the well to often; running game was working...should have run the clock...boom then an INT. Huge swing...and that ****'s on the coaching staff.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Essington, the much-maligned SBU QB, has over 240 yards passing from what I've been told.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I will give SBU huge credit for taking advantage of what we have just decided to do...they have executed flawlessly in the last 5 minutes...but holy ****, Albany's coaching really owns this.

Terribly hard pass called; go to the well to often; running game was working...should have run the clock...boom then an INT. Huge swing...and that ****'s on the coaching staff.
The passing game has been working well, just one too many times to it, IMO. At least you've got to say that the Danes didn't get conservative and sit on the lead.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Essington is officially 11-of-21 for 241 yards passing.

Dane96
November 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I'd rather have run the ball...up 18 with 20 min to go.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Completion to Jordan Gush at the 11 for another first down.

UMass922
November 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Wow, SB now in the lead. This game has turned around fast.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Nice off-tackle blocking springs Jackolski for a touchdown from 11 yards out. 12:40 left and it is Stony Brook 31, Albany 28.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM
This game is sort of like what happened to Robert Morris in its game with North Dakota State in the first round last year. The Bison wore RMU down in the second half and turned a good game into a rout.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'd rather have run the ball...up 18 with 20 min to go.

I thought you old quarterbacks always liked to throw.

Mr. C
Albany has to get it done on offense right now.

Dane96
I was a WR/DB...not a QB.

Catbooster
November 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Score?

I can't get ESPN3, and can't find this on the other sites people posted earlier. I was able to catch the end of the JMU/EKU game on one of them.

Dane96
That...was a cheap shot.

Mr. C
Good coverage on the kickoff and tempers are flaring on the field as an Albany helmet goes flying. Dead ball personal foul on the Danes.

Dane96
November 26th, 2011, 03:36 PM
And now SMith is hurt. TO THE HEAD.

WTF.

Mr. C
That...was a cheap shot.

What happened? We could only see a big pile of players and a helmet go flying.

Dane96
Good coverage on the kickoff and tempers are flaring on the field as an Albany helmet goes flying. Dead ball personal foul on the Danes.

It was on STONY BROOK...a total cheap shot to a defenseless player going down. He was folded up....and down and an SBU player speared him in the head when down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:37 PM
The officials had the penalty on UA, but then marked it off on SBU, correctly. First down at the 36.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Kevin Norell on a double move for 38 yards to the UA 42 on the final play of the third period. Norell went out of bounds on the play, but reestablished himself on the field.

After the game Mr. C., please show me the NCAA rule that allows reestablishing yourself because this is all I could find:

Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds during a
down shall touch a legal forward pass in the field of play or end zones or while
airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I-II).
[Exception: This does not apply to an eligible offensive player who attempts
to return inbounds immediately after going out of bounds due to contact by an
opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)].

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR12.pdf

By this rule, a receiver can't come back into play unless he has been forced out or the ball was touched by an opponent/official, correct? Is the reestablishing you talk about an NFL rule?

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:38 PM
It was on STONY BROOK...a total cheap shot to a defenseless player going down. He was folded up....and down and an SBU player speared him in the head when down.
The official got mixed up briefly.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Third and long.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Kirchner makes a great catch along the sideline for what would have been a first down, but he was forced out by the defense on a great hit.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM
No force out in NCAA rules, correct?

Mr. C
After the game Mr. C., please show me the NCAA rule that allows reestablishing yourself because this is all I could find:

Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds during a
down shall touch a legal forward pass in the field of play or end zones or while
airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official (A.R. 7-3-4-I-II).
[Exception: This does not apply to an eligible offensive player who attempts
to return inbounds immediately after going out of bounds due to contact by an
opponent (A.R. 7-3-4-III)].

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR12.pdf

By this rule, a receiver can't come back into play unless he has been forced out or the ball was touched by an opponent/official, correct? Is the reestablishing you talk about an NFL rule?

The side judge clearly threw down his hat to show that he had indeed gone out of bounds and then the same official ruled it a legal catch.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
A great catch and throw though!!

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
No force out in NCAA rules, correct?

You have to establish a foot in bounds. Correct.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
A great catch and throw though!!

And a great defensive play as well. Well-played game.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM
First down for Stony Brook at the SBU 46. This is what the Seawolves do so well.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Essington again holds the ball too long and gets sacked for a 9-yard loss. Good pressure, however for the Danes.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 03:43 PM
The side judge clearly threw down his hat to show that he had indeed gone out of bounds and then the same official ruled it a legal catch.

Then he must have been forced out by contact. I didn't see the play, watching three games. :D xbangx

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Third down and 18 from the 38.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I think a receiver fell down on that interception for Albany at the UA 38. Nicely done getting the feet down.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM
A big play for Albany is negated by a block in the back by center Eric Laporta. First down and 20 from the 27.

caribbeanhen
Then he must have been forced out by contact. I didn't see the play, watching three games. :D xbangx

online?

Catbooster
Any chance one of you guys can post the score and time left?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Looked like the QB was hit while throwing.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Any chance one of you guys can post the score and time left?

Third and long from the 29 with 7:34 left and SBU up 31-28

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM
31-28 SBU 7:30 left

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Incomplete passes bring up another Layton punt.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Stony Brook will take over at the SBU 39 with 7:20 on the clock. Albany's defense has to stop the Seawolves now to stay afloat.

Catbooster
November 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM
thanks

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Norfolk State is making a nice comeback at ODU, but it looks like it will come up short. ODU up 35-18 with three minutes left.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Jackolski was the star of the game for Hofstra the last time I was here for a game. Today he has been tough as nails for SBU.

kdinva
Norfolk State is making a nice comeback at ODU, but it looks like it will come up short. ODU up 35-18 with three minutes left.
that's the final.........35-18 ODU

Mr. C
Third and eight from the 41 for SBU. Huge play for UA.

kdinva
thanks

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId=81&seasonYear=2011&seasonType=2&weekNumber=13

you can go there, and click on gamecast.......

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM

not really a comeback though, game already decided but ok

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Holding on third down for SBU is declined. Fourth down with 5:51 left and Albany will get the ball back.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Skiffington shanked a punt and it goes out at the UA 45. Two or three first downs and the Danes could be in range for a tying field goal.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
OMG, what a horrid punt! Good field position for Albany.

Lehigh Football Nation
Priore bangs his clipboard in frustration.

Sader87
What a classic mullet on the SBU punter lol!!!!

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Porter could have had three picks in this game, but he dropped one on second down when he tried to run too soon.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:54 PM
First down catch for UA at the SBU 43 is not liked by the crowd.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Bad throw on first down by Di Lella.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
No definitive replay on that one.

Mr. C
Third and 11 for Albany at the 44.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM
In other news, UCA's Eddie Kinnerak converts a 35 yard FG making it 20-7 over TTU.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Nice footwork for Di Lella, but his throw into traffic is incomplete. Fourth and 11.

kdinva
November 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM
In other news, UCA's Eddie Kinnerak converts a 35 yard FG making it 20-7 over TTU.

OVC w/TWO home games today.......not lookin' good so far.

Mr. C
Hutcherson falls forward for the first down on a nice Di Lella throw.

UMass922
Huge conversion for Albany!

Mr. C
Di Lella keeper on the follow play to the SBU 29. Second and seven.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
The Danes QB keeps forcing the ball into double coverage. Then makes a good throw for a first down.

Catbooster
November 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard?confId=81&seasonYear=2011&seasonType=2&weekNumber=13

you can go there, and click on gamecast.......

thanks

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Near pick by the linebacker on a Di Lella pass. Third and 7.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Shovel pass for 9 and a first down at the 20. 2:32 left.

Mr. C
Smith is back in there and goes for 7 to the 13. Second and 3.

Lehigh Football Nation
Albany making big conversion after big conversion.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Smith up the gut to the 11. Third and about a half-yard with 1:34 left and time out for the Danes. Each team has two time out left.