PDA

View Full Version : What is your Greatest Playoff Memory?

AppMAN04
November 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Its the most wonderful time of the year!!

In my opinion the 2007 playoffs were amazing for ASU... I have 2 great memories of from the 07 playoffs

1. "The fumble" JMU is moving the ball down the field ASU is up only by 1 point and instead of kicking the field goal and winning the game JMU rushes the ball and fumbles on the ASU 8 yrd line... CROWD GOES NUTS...

2. "The Armanti show" vs Richmond.. AE torches the spiders with 7 combined TD's 3 passing and 4 rushing in route to winning a third straight championship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RZt-Y2F9Q

Green26
November 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Various things for Montana. The first championship win over Marshall in '95. Thrilling. Being on the sidelines for UM's second quarter 97 or so yard drive for UM's only TD in the 2001 championship against Furman, and literally following the progress from several feet from the sidelines (except in the middle where the players were). My buddy and I split a sideline pass, and I had the second quarter. The win over JMU in '08. One of the most exciting games I've ever attended. All of the good times in Chattanooga for UM's championship games, win or lose. The App St game in Missoula in '09, eventually in the swirling snow and darkness, with the famous Armanti Edwards on the field and the crowd and stadium rocking. Truly magical. Another of the most exciting games I've ever attended. I absolutely love the playoffs. The most exciting time of the year for me.

slostang
November 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Beating Montana in Missoula in 2005.

achrist70
November 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Live: Either "The Catch" to beat UNH, or Sean McMoore's pick 6 against UNH the next year

TV: Texas State

ur2k
November 20th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Live: Either "The Catch" to beat UNH, or Sean McMoore's pick 6 against UNH the next year

TV: Texas State

The drive to beat UNI in the dome

tractorapp
November 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
'05 thru '07 were all great, but UNI in '05 had to be the top for me. Marques Murrell forcing fumble in 4th quarter and Jason Hunter running it in for winning score and the first championship! After all those years of App falling short in the playoffs I didn't know if I would ever see a National Championship. Great, great memory.

AppMAN04
November 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
'05 thru '07 were all great, but UNI in '05 had to be the top for me. Marques Murrell forcing fumble in 4th quarter and Jason Hunter running it in for winning score and the first championship! After all those years of App falling short in the playoffs I didn't know if I would ever see a National Championship. Great, great memory.

YES! I was at that NC game... I just remember i lost my mind when that happened, both of the guys were beast

AppChicago
November 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
The App St game in Missoula in '09, eventually in the swirling snow and darkness, with the famous Armanti Edwards on the field and the crowd and stadium rocking. Truly magical. Another of the most exciting games I've ever attended. I absolutely love the playoffs. The most exciting time of the year for me.

I am sure that was an incredible game, regardless of the outcome. I remember pacing in my living room, crapping my pants as the 'neers almost pulled it out. I'm sure I narrowly avoided an aneurysm, and I was thousands of miles from the action.

mainejeff
November 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM
2001 First Round game at McNeese State.......great tailgate, great fans, great game and BIG WIN for Maine! :)

BlueHenSinfonian
November 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM
The entire 2003 playoff season was great. No one scored more than a single touchdown against Delaware throughout the playoffs and we dominated each game, we won the CAA title and then the unofficial MVFC title at home (though I think at the time it was still the Gateway Conference, which was a better name anyway), and I carpooled down with some friends to 'Nooga for the title game where the tailgating was great and was able to bear witness to the most dominant performance in a NC game before or since.

SpeedkingATL
November 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM

The 05 NC game was it for me too. Having graduted in 77 and seeing all the playoff failures it was amazing to witness that first National Championship in Chatty. It was my kind of win with the App D taking over the game in the 2nd half.

ASU_Fanatic
November 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
The 2005 playoffs were amazing, the game against Furman when Richie goes down and Elder comes in, late in the game the great Ingle Martin had Furman on the move for the game winning score but he dropped back to pass on a play and got sacked, losing the ball in the process, everyone stormed the field. Then that national championship game was amazing too, the scoop and score...wow. 2007 JMU would be my next favorite.

UNIFanSince1983
November 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Just look at everyone else's greatest playoff moment and you will see why I do not have one xbawlingx

EKUSteve
November 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Mine still goes back to 1979. EKU/Nevada.

EKU up 23 - 3 with 10 min to go.
Nevada rallies to tie the game with 45 sec left and setting up to kick the XP to take the lead. EKU's noseguard Joe Richard gets his hand up in the middle of the line to block the XP and send the game into OT where EKU wins in 2OT to go to the final against Lehigh.

blueballs
November 20th, 2011, 04:19 PM
1) "The Catch" Tracy Ham to Frankie Johnson for the game winner with 14 seconds left in the 1985 title game. Erk Russell's miracle was realized that day as that was the first title for GSU and gave birth to a dynasty.

2) "The Run" Adrian Peterson abused the entire YSU defense on one play on his way to 247 yards ruching as GSU swamped YSU 59-24 for title #5.

3) "Son of the Run" After Montana stormed back to take the lead, Adrian Peterson turns the tables in one play and goes the distance for the game winner for title #6.

4) "You Can't Tackle Smoke" Arkansas State head coach Larry Lacewell's tribute to Tracy Ham after Ham had torched Arkansas State for 306 yards passing and 180 yards rushing in the 1986 title game...

But I saved the best for last...

5) "15-0-0" In the 1989 title game GSU defeats SFA 37-34 for their 3rd championship and sends Erk Russell into retirement with his 3rd title in 5 years and the first 15-0-0 season in division 1 history.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 20th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Obviously there are many, but the 1999 Quarterfinals vs UMass were the most gratifying. After handing over what would've been our 5th NC and second undefeated season to them in 1998, we had to listen/read crap from them for a year about how tough their conference was. Adrian Peterson rushed for 333 yards on their "tough" defense that day and we haven't heard from them since.

AppMAN04
November 20th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Obviously there are many, but the 1999 Quarterfinals vs UMass were the most gratifying. After handing over what would've been our 5th NC and second undefeated season to them in 1998, we had to listen/read crap from them for a year about how tough their conference was. Adrian Peterson rushed for 333 yards on their "tough" defense that day and we haven't heard from them since.

I remember seeing Peterson play.. Probably the best back I have ever seen in person.. I hated when GSU came to town because it didnt matter how well you played AP was going to light the field up

Silenoz
November 20th, 2011, 04:49 PM
The catch by Erhardt

The catch 2 by Farris

The catch 3 by Sambrano

..or Napier being blown up on one of his passes in 2001. I can't remember who hit him

Strommer10
November 20th, 2011, 05:09 PM
MSU last year @ Bozeman. 42-17 throttling of the kitties. Only one year in the playoffs doesn't get you much, but I'm hoping for more great memories this season. xthumbsupx

smcwildcat
November 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
"The Statement" 2004 at GSU who was 17-0 all time in first round home games....still don't know how we beat that team with chaz williams austin etc. and that offense from that year .....david ball got hurt and we still won with ricky santos as a fresh. has to be one of the biggest upsets in playoff history not to mention ever since then the mindset at UNH has changed in the right direction.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 20th, 2011, 06:04 PM
"The Statement" 2004 at GSU who was 17-0 all time in first round home games....still don't know how we beat that team with chaz williams austin etc. and that offense from that year .....david ball got hurt and we still won with ricky santos as a fresh. has to be one of the biggest upsets in playoff history not to mention ever since then the mindset at UNH has changed in the right direction.

UNH had a great QB in Santos. Eagle fans might tell you that game was indicative of the Sewak Era when playing a good team also meant we'd be out coached. Wofford started a 4 of 5 win streak against Sewak coached teams in 2002 because outwitting Sewak was a contest against oneself. I remember UNH earning a lot of respect from that game that they have continued to prove.

Appalachian
November 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I remember in the 2005 national championship game against UNI when Richie Williams came into the game on one leg and lifted the offense and every ASU fan in attendance. Couldn't have been scripted any better.

And aside from the three national championships, the 2000 playoffs, all road games. First at Troy State then on to Western Kentucky and ending in Missoula for a great overtime game. Wasn't happy with the outcome of the Montana game, but I was at all three games and it was a great ride. Just had to wait another 5 years for that first national championship.

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
2004 the "drive" against EWU to win the game.

ngineer
November 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM
The most positive experience was the dismantling of Western Illinois in 2000, at their place and who had a tremendous set of linebackers. Everyone picking us to lose by 24 or so. Finals was as unbelieveable 37-7 throttling. Still, the one memory that still stays with me is the tremendous goal line stand Lehigh put up against JMU in 2004 and the very controversial call that allowed JMU another set of downs...the ol' "seven shots from the one". JMU wins 14-13 and goes on to the national title.

Da Coach
November 20th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Western Illinois University being 2-0 over Montana in the playoffs. Blowout at WIU and a field goal in overtime at Montana.

Da Coach
November 20th, 2011, 08:39 PM
(though I think at the time it was still the Gateway Conference, which was a better name anyway),

AMEN!!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Being in the stands at Marshall in 1995.

Being in the stands in 2001 at Chatty.

Being in the stands for every playoff win in Missoula, but mostly the App games, and the payback against GSU.

DOME
November 20th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Beating UNH
Beating UNH
Beating UNH
It's a great Panther past time :)

Go...gate
November 20th, 2011, 09:00 PM
The 2003 Colgate quarterfinal win over Western Illinois in a blizzard at Hamilton and then one week later in the semifinals at Florida Atlantic on a hot day at Fort Lauderdale. I also have a soft spot on my heart for the win over Boston University in 1982 in snow and wind at Hamilton which put us in the quarterfinals.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
the 2003 playoffs were gratifying.....but I can't remember them.

For the Wofford fanbase, the miracle in Missoula is definitely at the top

GSUhooligan
November 20th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I've only been around the program since '03, so I guess my best memory would be last year at Wofford. I was one of many GSU fans that stood on "Wofford's" side of the stadium and was able to chant GEORGIA..........across the field to the "visitor's" side who would yell .......SOUTHERN! Oh yeah, and the game in itself was pretty good too.

WWII
November 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
It was going to the game in Frisco, in January. Soon it will be going to the game in Stony Brook.

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM
16257......49-48!.................xnodxxrotatehxxnodx......BRAWK !

Grizzaholic
November 20th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Playoffs? What are Playoffs?

tojo70
November 20th, 2011, 10:14 PM
South Dakota State leads the Griz 48-21 in 2009. Mariana runs a kickoff back 98 yards in the 3rd quarter to spark the grizzlies to a 61-48 win.

Redhawk2010
November 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Just SEMO making the playoffs last year. Picked to have like a 2-9 season and instead go out with a 9-3 record. Losing to the eventual National Champs. The biggest thing I remember is SEMO had to go out and buy all brand new winter apparel for the players, coaches, and support staff. They had never been in the playoffs before, likely never played in snow, and they had recently signed a contract with NIKE. They spent over $20k on sideline apparel! A couple of my classmates were so excited when they were given jackets that were like $200 jackets for them to travel out to EWU...

HailSzczur
November 20th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Playoffs? What are Playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

HailSzczur
November 20th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Easily the 2009 Championship game over Montana with Szczur and Co. mounting a great 2nd half comeback.

Also very gratifying for me was the UNH win in the snow 2 games prior to that.

Grizzaholic
November 20th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Tailgating and getting to converse with friends that I only see during Griz games....for 1 or 3 more weeks.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2011, 11:05 PM
16257......49-48!.................xnodxxrotatehxxnodx......BRAWK !

That was a crazy game! Not my "greatest" playoff memory, but certainly a memorable one. You know the difference was an extra point. There is a moral there somewhere. Oh yeah, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER allow a game to come down to a kick!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 21st, 2011, 04:00 AM
You would think winning the NC is #1, but honestly, the whole electric atmosphere of the night game (W&M's first) on the road at W&M was epic. We had signs of "Expect Severe Pounding of Nerds 2night", our fans made up 30% or so of the people there, running through the frat gauntlet to get to the game from the tailgate, seeing diving TD catches, key interceptions, and just a tremendous back and forth game between two very different style teams. It was football bliss. The stuff rivalries are made of, and chanting "Chattanooga" in their stadium was the icing on the cake.

The NC game was less thrilling, in part because of that notorious damn turf in 2004. The Griz fans had been there before and acted like it - courteous, yet self-confident bordering on arrogant. I remember meeting Helmet Head from Delaware and just having a general good feeling of unity among FCS fans. It was an event, like the SuperBowl. But somehow, beating your rivals to make the SuperBowl is a bit more satisfying in a perverted kind of way. The road trip and tailgate was awesome, but the atmosphere was not as electric.

Another memory was seeing the lights a good mile before I got to the stadium from I-81 on the way to JMU for the semi-final game vs. Montana. It was like a premonition of things to come (or not come as the case may be this year with EKU). Just seeing those lights gave me goose bumps knowing that one day, it will be a mainstay, not an ESPN import for one night TV game.

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM
The first NC I remember is the Bison defeating Montana in the Camellia Bowl 30-3 to win it's 3rd College Division Championship in 1969.

AppStsGr8
November 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
2005 NC - Richie Williams hobbling down the field and still making plays, Marques Murrell and Jason Hunter teaming up for the defensive touchdown proving that defense does, indeed, win championships

2010 WIU game at KBS - band played half-time show from the stands so the plows could scrape the snow from the field

Bam
November 21st, 2011, 07:55 AM
EKU beating App St on 11-30-1991 1st Rd of PO's on a nasty rainy day in Richmond, KY. Fellas had a great run that yr.

Grizo406
November 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Sitting right next to Ursus, West side of Washington/Grizzly Stadium, 12 rows up, on the 48 yard line, during the 2009 ASU/Griz semi-final game!!!

I knew letting you hang out with me would pay some dividends, and I thank you for the great seats! But, that was 2 years ago, and you haven't done squat for me lately...what's up with that!??!xcoffeex

molly
November 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
2004 quarterfinals: W&M came back from 21 points down in the 4th quarter to beat UD in double overtime, earning a trip to the semis for the first time in school history.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2011, 05:45 PM
100 yard INT return for a touchdown against Rhode Island. Jump start to our secound national title.

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Beating the breaks off of UMASS in the 06 Championship game..

bojeta
November 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
Beating Montana in Missoula in 2005.

+1

AppMAN04
November 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Sitting right next to Ursus, West side of Washington/Grizzly Stadium, 12 rows up, on the 48 yard line, during the 2009 ASU/Griz semi-final game!!!

I knew letting you hang out with me would pay some dividends, and I thank you for the great seats! But, that was 2 years ago, and you haven't done squat for me lately...what's up with that!??!xcoffeex

That game played out like a movie, great ratings and respect for the Griz.. We were on the wrong side of the happy ending

BEAR
November 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Saturday November 26, 2011. UCA's first playoff opportunity in a VERY LONG transition from division II. While many of you here have had the honor and enjoyment of the FCS playoffs for years, the Bear Nation is the new guy to the party and Saturday they can finally say, "I'm In!" xnodxxlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
2004 the "drive" against EWU to win the game.

There was more than one. *****in' prevent defense... xthumbsdownx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM
1. The last 17 minutes of the NC game. :D

2. "The Drive" against NDSU to tie the game, then immediately afterwards, the TD on the very first play of OT.

3. The entire Nova game on ESPN.

4. Upsetting #1 SIU in 2004.

5. Upsetting #2 McNeese in 2007.

Engineer86
November 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Both memories are heartbreakers against eventual Champions. Holding JMU for 4 downs inside the 1 only to be flagged for unsportsmanship when a 21 year celebrates and then almost doing it again. It really was an incredible stand considering the weight differential of the two lines. The more painful memory is 1st and goal from the 9 with a minute to go down 27-21 against UMass in 1998 quarters , and all we had in the playbook were fade patterns that were not close.

Redhawk2010
November 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Saturday November 26, 2011. UCA's first playoff opportunity in a VERY LONG transition from division II. While many of you here have had the honor and enjoyment of the FCS playoffs for years, the Bear Nation is the new guy to the party and Saturday they can finally say, "I'm In!" xnodxxlolx

Right on! Enjoy it. Although our trip was short-lived last year, the Redhawks sure enjoyed it. Was our first trip to the playoffs in school history..

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
No question about it: Jason Hunter fumble return touchdown against Northern Iowa to win the 2005 National Championship.

That entire night was amazing. When Richie Williams came out to play in the 2nd half after being injured in the National Semifinals against Furman, the intensity went up a level for ASU and our program has not been the same since.

Apphole
November 21st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Aside from those mentioned, @Richmond in 2009. Elder makes the top ten catching a ball laying on his back. We had it in the bag, Cadet gets stripped an they run it back for a TD. AE marches down the field in under 2 minutes and throws the game winning TD to Elder as time expires.

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Not playoffs, I know I know, but the Missoula Encounter in 2008. So many memories that will never go away.

asumike83
November 21st, 2011, 07:13 PM
Aside from those mentioned, @Richmond in 2009. Elder makes the top ten catching a ball laying on his back. We had it in the bag, Cadet gets stripped an they run it back for a TD. AE marches down the field in under 2 minutes and throws the game winning TD to Elder as time expires.

I hate to nit-pick but it was Matt Cline who caught the game-winning TD in that game. I agree though, it was right up there with my favorite playoff moments as well. I was able to attend that game as well as the prior year when they smacked us around at home. That win felt great, it was nice to see Armanti get some retribution.

GSU Eagle
November 21st, 2011, 07:15 PM
Stting in a driving rain storm in Chatty and watching the Eagles hold off Montana in a great game. Looked like we might run over them in the first half, only to have the Griz come back and then Peterson makes an incredible run on a slop of a field. Montana had chance after chance in the last quarter to win it but somehow we kept them out of the endzone.

That is the worst weather game I have ever been to. It was raining sideways so hard you could barely see the play on the field.

AppStsGr8
November 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM
I hate to nit-pick but it was Matt Cline who caught the game-winning TD in that game. I agree though, it was right up there with my favorite playoff moments as well. I was able to attend that game as well as the prior year when they smacked us around at home. That win felt great, it was nice to see Armanti get some retribution.

Matt Cline was a rock. He just kept coming back and getting the job done. No chest thumping, no bravado ... just good, hard work.

Grizo406
November 21st, 2011, 07:58 PM
That game played out like a movie, great ratings and respect for the Griz.. We were on the wrong side of the happy ending

Seen a ton of playoff games in Washington/Grizzly, and, IMO, that was THE BEST one!

Too bad someone had to lose it!

Other than the McNeese/Cal Poly fans, I've NEVER seen a classier/knowledgeable fan base than the Mountaineer fans that made the trip to this game!

They were awesome!!!xthumbsupx

Catbooster
November 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM
100 yard INT return for a touchdown against Rhode Island. Jump start to our secound national title.

Same for me.

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM
Seen a ton of playoff games in Washington/Grizzly, and, IMO, that was THE BEST one!

Other than the McNeese/Cal Poly fans, I've NEVER seen a classier/knowledgeable fan base than the Mountaineer fans that made the trip to this game!

THIS. And that Matt Cline guy was an animal from the games that I watched. Nothing but class.

Block-A
November 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Matt Cline was a rock. He just kept coming back and getting the job done. No chest thumping, no bravado ... just good, hard work.

THIS. And that Matt Cline guy was an animal from the games that I watched. Nothing but class.

http://youtu.be/rBgu7GtFhGY

Can't say this was my BEST playoff memory, but it was definitely memorable. Normally, he would have made that catch....

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 11:37 PM
http://youtu.be/rBgu7GtFhGY

Can't say this was my BEST playoff memory, but it was definitely memorable. Normally, he would have made that catch....

I have watched that game 10 times, that and the SDSU game (thanks to VIDAV), and I sit back every time Keith Thompson hits him and that poor SDSU TE (?).

Block-A
November 21st, 2011, 11:43 PM
I said here earlier this year that I thought part of the reason Presley was struggling was because Cline (& Hilary) were gone and he was having trouble w/ the new receivers. Cline wasn't terribly fast or flashy but he always seemed to be one yard past the 1st down line & make the tough catch.

Grizzaholic
November 21st, 2011, 11:45 PM
I said here earlier this year that I thought part of the reason Presley was struggling was because Cline (& Hilary) were gone and he was having trouble w/ the new receivers. Cline wasn't terribly fast or flashy but he always seemed to be one yard past the 1st down line & make the tough catch.

And that folks is what make a great TE/WR/RB. And it sure helps out the QB to know that you have a go-to guy that will be there when you need him.

Squealofthepig
November 22nd, 2011, 03:18 AM
...that and the SDSU game...

I can't count that as a top playoff memory. I mean, I definitely remember it, and it was an incredible turnaround/come-back. But it was a fluke, and I really felt for the Jackrabbit fans after the game. AE's last game was a great battle, and both teams could walk away with head held high; the SDSU collapse was an entirely different beast. I'll take the win, but it wasn't without a bit of a feeling that we'd been handed some karma.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 22nd, 2011, 03:25 AM
Not playoffs, I know I know, but the Missoula Encounter in 2008. So many memories that will never go away.

Your asshole still hurts, huh? xlolx

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
I would have to say the 05 semi-final game against FUrple. To win a game we had been to before and never won, to do it at home, and to do it against a rival--priceless. The game was so back-and-forth, but the fumble by Ingle Martin and run-back was the culmination of all of those years waiting to get to the NC. Of course, the second would be winning the championship that year, in similar fashion, against UNI.

Venaros
November 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Haven't been to many playoffs seeing as how I started at GSU in the slump of 2006-2009, but my favorite playoff memory is from last year when we visited Paulson North in Spartanboro. Wofford's stadium is like a home away from home now. xrotatehx

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 08:17 AM

I wanted to make it so badly, but could not. Are any of you guys making the trip to Boone next year? We're planning on making a the return trip in 2013 a week-long vacation.

asumike83
November 22nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
I wanted to make it so badly, but could not. Are any of you guys making the trip to Boone next year? We're planning on making a the return trip in 2013 a week-long vacation.

Unfortunately, I could not make it to that game either and had to do the next best thing with a viewing party at my house. With the limited planning time and travel expense, I just couldn't swing it. I will 100% be making the trip in 2013!

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
We've had happy memories in playoffs?

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
I have watched that game 10 times, that and the SDSU game (thanks to VIDAV), and I sit back every time Keith Thompson hits him and that poor SDSU TE (?).

I kept that game on my DVR for over a year, but never could watch it again. It was an epic battle...

appfan2008
November 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
05 game against lafayette in the freezing rain was fun... the furman game in 05!... the montana st game with there trash talking kids from california was fun to shut them up... the uni game was awesome bc it was the first... the umass game bc we dominated that season... the jmu fumble game... the game at richmond in 09... the game against coastal that was a breeze... the 2 years in a row starting with scsu... the game last year with wiu was my favorite though in the deep snow!

Apphole
November 22nd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Oops you're right. I don't know what I was thinking. I too was fortunate enough to bear witness to all the App-Richmond battles from 2007-2009. Great series.

Grizzaholic
November 22nd, 2011, 09:47 AM
I kept that game on my DVR for over a year, but never could watch it again. It was an epic battle...

It was a good football game. I sure hope you are fibbing when you said you couldn't watch it again.

Grizzaholic
November 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM

Well you....Then there was that time.....But back in '95..........yeah. Not all that great.

Grizzaholic
November 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM

Yes. Yes we are. I believe Ursus will tell me what to do and I then give him money and many Griz fans fly to your place for drinking, eating, possibly some more drinking, football....and NO COPS

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
It was a good football game. I sure hope you are fibbing when you said you couldn't watch it again.

Unfortunately, I'm not. I watched it live. I was a sophomore when we lost to you guys in the semis, in OT, in 2000. Watching us get so close again in 2009, was just too much. I would think about watching it every time I would see it in the list, but I just didn't want to. We switched carriers, so I had to turn the DVR back in. I don't have the game anymore. I can still pretty much replay it in my head. However, if anyone has it on DVD and could burn it, I'd give it a go...maybe after you guys come to Boone next year. :)

ASUMountaineer
November 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Yes. Yes we are. I believe Ursus will tell me what to do and I then give him money and many Griz fans fly to your place for drinking, eating, possibly some more drinking, football....and NO COPS

I can assure you NO COPS. As to the drinking, eating, possibly some more drinking, and football...that can certainly be arranged. No doubt, we will have to organize a big tailgate. I just hope that POS, punk ***** AZGrizFan makes the trip. No doubt, this has to be a tailgate of epic proportions, as I expect nothing less than that when we come out in 2013.

TheRevSFA
November 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Well you....Then there was that time.....But back in '95..........yeah. Not all that great.

Let's see..in 89 we made the NC then were forced to vacate due to issues regarding an eligible player and players doing jobs (not Penn State jobs) for the coach...

99..we tanked
2009 we beat EWU then tanked
2010 we....yeah...atleast the Nova fans I met were nice.

Walkon79
November 22nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Same for me.

Yeah, Had to go back a ways to find a memorable moment. Maybe the 2011 version can help us out.

Catbooster
November 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I hope so.

I was a student at the game in '84. It had to be an exciting game for me to remember much. The pre-game (and post-game) festivities made for somewhat hazy memories that day.

JMUNJ08
November 22nd, 2011, 05:28 PM

Your QB got drunk in Missoula that 1 time right? He must have had a good/happy time then?

Grizcountry420
November 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Your QB got drunk in Missoula that 1 time right? He must have had a good/happy time then?

Now thats some funny *****! HA!

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Seven years of completely miserable ends to the season makes this a tough one.

Certainly, 2004 against Georgia Southern was a statement. No one expected us to win that game. We then got COMPLETELY dismantled by Craig Ochs.
In 2005, we won the first and only home playoff game that we've won since I've watched against Colgate.

Kramden
November 22nd, 2011, 09:09 PM
I remember watching the Western Illinois-Colgate Game in the snow in 2003. 1 point win for the 'Gate. knucklehead shirtless fans carrying the goalpost .
ts the most wonderful time of the year!!

In my opinion the 2007 playoffs were amazing for ASU... I have 2 great memories of from the 07 playoffs

1. "The fumble" JMU is moving the ball down the field ASU is up only by 1 point and instead of kicking the field goal and winning the game JMU rushes the ball and fumbles on the ASU 8 yrd line... CROWD GOES NUTS...

2. "The Armanti show" vs Richmond.. AE torches the spiders with 7 combined TD's 3 passing and 4 rushing in route to winning a third straight championship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RZt-Y2F9Q[/QUOTE]

TTUEagles
November 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
My greatest playoff memory was the Selection Show this year...

Grizo406
November 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM

I'd like to echo Grizza's comment...except the part about Ursus tellin' me what to do, and me givin' him money!xsmhx

My Mom lives in Frankin, NC. So, myself, and some of my best friends plan on makin' this trip to "The Rock"!

If the fans we meet in Boone are anything like the ASU fans we met in Missoula, in 2009, I know that it will be money well spent! Regardless of the outcome of the game!!

I'm looking forward to it...unless I have to share a hotel room with Ursus, or Grizza!

TheValleyRaider
November 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
The 2003 Colgate quarterfinal win over Western Illinois in a blizzard at Hamilton and then one week later in the semifinals at Florida Atlantic on a hot day at Fort Lauderdale.

You could throw in that snowy 1st Round win against UMass as well. Not as classic as the WIU win (though snowy), but satisfying like the FAU victory. What a great run that season was...

AppMAN04
November 23rd, 2011, 06:19 AM
"The snap" 2 years in a row SCSU came to Boone.. They were solid and to be honest I did not want to play them.. in 2009 They all but had the game won until they got a bad snap on the field goal kick and ASU takes it back for the score to win the game...

TheRevSFA
November 23rd, 2011, 07:37 AM

Wait...you're surprised he got drunk in Missoula? I didn't think anyone was sober there.

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
For me in person would be the 2004 Lehigh/JMU game. That goal line stand was ridiculous with 7 plays at the 1 as already mentioned from some still smarting Lehigh fans...Always love away games in general and it was a good beginning to JMU traveling better.

Otherwise, even with the loss, would be the 3 home games in the 2008 playoffs. Great atmosphere, extra tailgating, and each game decided just by 1 score if I remember correctly. That was a special team (minus their special teams in the semis...)

The game at Youngstown St was HEART BREAKING. I have yet to think a 4th quarter lead is safe again with my Dukes because of it...

Looking to create more good memories this yearxsmileyclapx

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
"The snap" 2 years in a row SCSU came to Boone.. They were solid and to be honest I did not want to play them.. in 2009 They all but had the game won until they got a bad snap on the field goal kick and ASU takes it back for the score to win the game...

The just wanted to sit with "The fumble" group in Boone lore....

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
Wait...you're surprised he got drunk in Missoula? I didn't think anyone was sober there.

Not surprised, just figured it was your best playoff moment?

TheRevSFA
November 23rd, 2011, 07:43 AM

Sadly it was for him.

Tubby Raymond
November 23rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
No question the win against Wooford @ home in the Semi's of 2003. That triple option attack was good and made me nervous. After the game the students outsmarted the coppers and tore down one of the goal posts. Classic

We knew if we got by them we were gonna kick Colgates azz, they were not deserving to be on the same field.

Grizzaholic
November 23rd, 2011, 09:38 AM

pssst. Don't mention 1995.

TheRevSFA
November 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
pssst. Don't mention 1995.

That too..

DetroitFlyer
November 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Well, let's see.... Since the founding of the league in 1993, a PFL team has never been invited to the FCS playoffs, so I do not have any memories....

Grizalltheway
November 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Well, let's see.... Since the founding of the league in 1993, a PFL team has never been invited to the FCS playoffs, so I do not have any memories....

xbabycryx

JMUNJ08
November 23rd, 2011, 11:30 AM

Maybe when a few of those great 11-0/10-1 teams were just mentioned in the conversation?

TwoFeathers
November 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Had to be the Tribe coming from behind and in OT to beat Delaware after losing to them earlier that year for a spot in the semi's back in 2004.

(Only to lose at home to eventual champion JMU in the semi's).

Walkon79
November 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
I hope so.

I was a student at the game in '84. It had to be an exciting game for me to remember much. The pre-game (and post-game) festivities made for somewhat hazy memories that day.

I had recently graduated and was moved to Glasgow for work. Bought a Black Pontiac Fiero GT (Poor Man's Sports Car but it went 110) and bought season tickets and a fuzz buster. Me and a buddy made it back for every home and playoff game that year. I still remember sitting in sec. 109 on that end thinking the game was over, and then it happened!! There's a YouTube video on the play out there, but I'm a little technology challenged in that area. Anybody out there that can help a Brother out? It's a pretty cool video especially since it's the 80's.

Bear84
November 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM

xthumbsupx

Mountaineer
November 23rd, 2011, 05:41 PM

xnodx

Seven teams in for the first time this year.

Albany Great Danes
Central Arkansas Bears
Norfolk State Spartans
Old Dominion Monarchs
Stony Brook Seawolves
Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles
Towson Tigers

Hope y'all have a blast.

JohnStOnge
November 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
McNeese hitting a field goal at the end of the game at Delaware in the 1997 semifinals. I was on my knees watching and waiting for it to go through. Too bad they bungled the championship game against Youngstown State the next week.

ericsaid
November 23rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
I don't understand how the drudging of Dela-Where? hasn't been mentioned through the first 8 pages i've read(I know there are 11 right now.) Sitting in the middle of a huge group of Delaware students, I was in high school at the time mind you, able to educate them a bit to prepare them for the beat down that was about to come was priceless.

"You're team has never seen a quarterback like Joe Flacco, he's the best QB in the country at any level." Mind you, this is the same year App beat Michigan with Chad Henne, and we now know, the 2007 senior class from Michigan is the highest paid graduating class in NFL history.

That entire 2007 playoffs were better than the 2006 just because I was knew to the playoff scene in 06. Still Kevin Richardson's monster performance against UMass was pretty awesome to witness.

AppMAN04
November 23rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
I don't understand how the drudging of Dela-Where? hasn't been mentioned through the first 8 pages i've read(I know there are 11 right now.) Sitting in the middle of a huge group of Delaware students, I was in high school at the time mind you, able to educate them a bit to prepare them for the beat down that was about to come was priceless.

"You're team has never seen a quarterback like Joe Flacco, he's the best QB in the country at any level." Mind you, this is the same year App beat Michigan with Chad Henne, and we now know, the 2007 senior class from Michigan is the highest paid graduating class in NFL history.

That entire 2007 playoffs were better than the 2006 just because I was knew to the playoff scene in 06. Still Kevin Richardson's monster performance against UMass was pretty awesome to witness.

You are absolutely correct! the Blue Hens talked a lot of trash that year.. riding Flaccos sack the entire Playoffs.. And to be honest the 07 Championship game was over before it started.. Armanti and KR smashed UD... And Trey Elder capped it off with a rush straight up the middle for 50 yrds to cap off his senior year

kfkolonel
November 23rd, 2011, 09:47 PM
1995, EKU at Missoula. We had a good time until the game started. Muddy field. No cover? Their kickoff splats and dies in the mud on our 3 yard line. Then things got worse. Anyway, after getting down 0-48 at half the EKU defense toughened up and held them scoreless the entire second half. If only our offense had scored!

Oh, you asked for GREATEST memories. The problem is that my STRONGEST memories seem to be of losses. Last second loss to Youngstown in '89, or to Georgia Southern in '88, or to NE Louisanna in '87.

I love the playoffs rather than that FBS BS, but it is a shame that every team except one ends its season with a loss. Good teams all, but their final memory is a loss. Teams that lose games the next few weeks are not losers--they are champions who made the playoffs.

soccerguy315
November 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
probably 2004 when W&M came back from down 21 in the 4th quarter against Delaware to win in 2OT

Tubby Raymond
November 24th, 2011, 03:28 AM

You are one witty hillbilly ain't you...Dela-Where, WOW, nobodies ever heard that one before.

I'm pretty certain you and education are distant aquaintences

AppStsGr8
November 24th, 2011, 06:54 AM

That game and the years that have followed have pointed out the differences in college and pro football. Flacco is, indeed, a very good quarterback now playing that position in the NFL where taller, stronger pocket QB's are the rule rather than the exception. App had plenty of speed and quickness that year and didn't allow Flacco any time in the pocket. On the offensive side of the ball App had even more speed and quickness.

I enjoyed that game and the 3-peat. I laughed when the ref called Delaware "Delaware St". It was a great night but not the most amazing playoff memory for me.

gsu6trophies
November 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM
You are one witty hillbilly ain't you...Dela-Where, WOW, nobodies ever heard that one before.

I'm pretty certain you and education are distant aquaintences

I guess this post reminds me that one of my favorite recent memories is CAA fans crowing dominance last year only to not only have an all CAA championship, but not even a CAA champion.

veinup
November 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM
there are a ton, so i'll just go with the most recent.. storming the snowy field in missoula after app state montana.

AUtigersGSUeagles
November 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Stting in a driving rain storm in Chatty and watching the Eagles hold off Montana in a great game. Looked like we might run over them in the first half, only to have the Griz come back and then Peterson makes an incredible run on a slop of a field. Montana had chance after chance in the last quarter to win it but somehow we kept them out of the endzone.

That is the worst weather game I have ever been to. It was raining sideways so hard you could barely see the play on the field.

I was at that game. I also remember the 1989 game against Montana. We were hoping for some nice south Georgia weather and ended up getting temperatures in the 30s and sleet all game. The Eagles still held out and put a good whoopin' on the Griz. I've always loved playing Montana. Had a great experience with their fans in Chatty in 2001. I was there for 89, 90, 99, 00, and unfortunately also in 98. I have too many great GSU playoff memories to count. I missed last year due to being overseas, and I'll have drill the weekend of GSU's first playoff game this year. I certainly hope the Eagles pull that one out so I can enjoy another game in Paulson Stadium, this year. Right now I'd say my best playoff memory is my next one... it's been a while since GSU has been this good, so I'm enjoying every game we get from here on in.

MR. CHICKEN
November 24th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I was at that game. I also remember the 1989 game against Montana. We were hoping for some nice south Georgia weather and ended up getting temperatures in the 30s and sleet all game. The Eagles still held out and put a good whoopin' on the Griz. I've always loved playing Montana. Had a great experience with their fans in Chatty in 2001. I was there for 89, 90, 99, 00, and unfortunately also in 98. I have too many great GSU playoff memories to count. I missed last year due to being overseas, and I'll have drill the weekend of GSU's first playoff game this year. I certainly hope the Eagles pull that one out so I can enjoy another game in Paulson Stadium, this year. Right now I'd say my best playoff memory is my next one... it's been a while since GSU has been this good, so I'm enjoying every game we get from here on in.

16271.....WELL PUT...SIR.........xnodx...BRAWK!

GridCaptain
November 25th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Youngstown at Marshall in the snow in 1993 - rematch of 1992 and a heck of a game. The Vest got his second title that day. That was back in the day when crowds showed up for the FCS title game. Frisco had 13,027 announced in the house last year for UD v EWU, the 3 lowest neutral site attendance total for modern era FCS and only superceded in a negative way by the 2001 and 2002 crowds in Chatty. Appalachian State pushed the only 20K+ respectable crowds in recent memory. FCS title games have only drawn 20k+ on 4 occasions since 1997. Great football, but even the fans and alumni of the schools are not travelling in large numbers to support.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 25th, 2011, 10:06 AM
After reading so many comments about the unparalleled speed of GaSoU, it was even more gratifying to watch RJ Harvey break around end near midfield and then outrun all those GaSoU speedsters to the end zone for a game winning TD in 2004 at Paulson. It's going to take some form of dementia to erase that image from my memory!! IIRC, it was the first ever GaSoU loss in the first round and their first home playoff loss. All of this in UNH's first playoff game in about a decade and David Ball going down in the 1st half made this my greatest memory from the 11 playoff games that I've attended.

Honorable mention: (1) Corey Graham's 99 yard kickoff return in the 2004 game at GaSoU after the Eagles took a 14-0 lead. (2) The Ricky Santos to Chad Kackert game winning 25 yard TD pass on a 4th and 15 at Hampton in 2006. (3) The Ricky Santos to David Ball home run TD pass to end the 1st half and break open the game with Colgate at a snowy Dungeon in 2005.

Grizalltheway
November 25th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Youngstown at Marshall in the snow in 1993 - rematch of 1992 and a heck of a game. The Vest got his second title that day. That was back in the day when crowds showed up for the FCS title game. Frisco had 13,027 announced in the house last year for UD v EWU, the 3 lowest neutral site attendance total for modern era FCS and only superceded in a negative way by the 2001 and 2002 crowds in Chatty. Appalachian State pushed the only 20K+ respectable crowds in recent memory. FCS title games have only drawn 20k+ on 4 occasions since 1997. Great football, but even the fans and alumni of the schools are not travelling in large numbers to support.

Wow, this revelation that you're a YSU fan makes your post smacking the playoff outlook of UM and MSU all the more laughable. Hope you enjoy yet another year of watching other teams compete while the Guins sit at home.

OL FU
November 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM

This obviously isn't my favorite playoff memory but the thing I will always remember about your 05 championship is the wounded warrior QB coming in and leading the team to a victory. He Hobbled, he limped, he could barely walk but his presence on the field help give you guys the extra jolt needed to win that game. Was always a begrudging fan of Williams, but that game sealed the deal. A real on the field leader.xthumbsupx

OL FU
November 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM
1) "The Catch" Tracy Ham to Frankie Johnson for the game winner with 14 seconds left in the 1985 title game. Erk Russell's miracle was realized that day as that was the first title for GSU and gave birth to a dynasty.

Someone's greatest is always someone's worst:p

bobcathpdevil56
November 25th, 2011, 03:10 PM
On this day five years ago the powerful SoCon traveled up to the weakly second team in for the Big Sky. The Bobcats rolled the Furman Paladins 31-13. One of my favorite memories of my life. Best quote ever "Is it me or is it getting warmer." "Nope you are just getting drunker" "Yep that is probably it".

AUtigersGSUeagles
November 25th, 2011, 06:12 PM
After reading so many comments about the unparalleled speed of GaSoU, it was even more gratifying to watch RJ Harvey break around end near midfield and then outrun all those GaSoU speedsters to the end zone for a game winning TD in 2004 at Paulson. It's going to take some form of dementia to erase that image from my memory!! IIRC, it was the first ever GaSoU loss in the first round and their first home playoff loss. All of this in UNH's first playoff game in about a decade and David Ball going down in the 1st half made this my greatest memory from the 11 playoff games that I've attended.

Honorable mention: (1) Corey Graham's 99 yard kickoff return in the 2004 game at GaSoU after the Eagles took a 14-0 lead. (2) The Ricky Santos to Chad Kackert game winning 25 yard TD pass on a 4th and 15 at Hampton in 2006. (3) The Ricky Santos to David Ball home run TD pass to end the 1st half and break open the game with Colgate at a snowy Dungeon in 2005.

Partially correct. It was the first ever first-round exit for the Eagles. However, we had two previous home playoff losses before that... 2001 to Furman in the semi-finals and 2002 to Western Kentucky in the semis.

Appbio91
November 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM
These are both great memories. I would add the Trey Elder TD against Delaware in the NC that same year. Overall 2007 was a great year for the Mountaineers.

Appbio91
November 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Beating the breaks off Delaware and their NFL caliber QB in 2007!

LakesBison
November 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Dancing on the sidelines in BOBCAT stadium with Jose, DJ & BROCK as their fans file out saying "WHAT WAS THE LICENSE PLATE # ON THAT BUS??"

Grizzaholic
November 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Dancing on the sidelines in BOBCAT stadium with Jose, DJ & BROCK as their fans file out saying "WHAT WAS THE LICENSE PLATE # ON THAT BUS??"

http://sayanythingblog.com/files/2010/05/isnogod.png

DJKyR0
November 26th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I'm embarrassed to say that I only made it to one of NDSU's three playoff games last season. A group of fans made a thread on Bisonville narrating their adventure as they traveled from Fargo to Bozeman for the game through a blizzard in a short bus, and it has since made the site's Hall of Fame for greatest threads. If you've got an hour to kill, take a gander: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?22195-Live-from-the-Battlewagon

Grizzaholic
November 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I'm embarrassed to say that I only made it to one of NDSU's three playoff games last season. A group of fans made a thread on Bisonville narrating their adventure as they traveled from Fargo to Bozeman for the game through a blizzard in a short bus, and it has since made the site's Hall of Fame for greatest threads. If you've got an hour to kill, take a gander: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?22195-Live-from-the-Battlewagon

In a short bus....I will leave that one on a tee for someone else to knock out of the park.

BEAR
November 26th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Getting ready for the 7 hour drive from Conway to Cookeville! This is the first memory I'm about to make! 3 a.m. sausage, egg and cheese buiscut, 5 hour energy(two of them), and a car loaded with bear-a-fan-ilia! Go BEARS!

Bossanova
November 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Obviously, the 2009 run, but,also the game at App. St. last year, where Matt Sczur caught, ran, and threw for 5 TD's. Some App. St. folks were telling me that Villanova was the best team they ever saw play in Boone.

Great football atmosphere and some really great bars.

Brad82
November 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Rhody beating Richmond in 84 and Akron in 85.
Rhody actually got off to relatively good start in beginnings of 1-AA football.

LehighGuy
November 27th, 2011, 12:42 PM
This is an awesome thread! My contributions:

Best Playoff Memory:

Lehigh splitting the uprights with 8 seconds left at Richmond to win. NO ONE (Lehigh fans included) ever imagined winning that game.

Worst Playoff Memory:

Playing Furman in the second round on a lovely South Carolina afternoon. Watching a REAL F'N PALADIN lead the team out onto the field. Then watching Furman flawless execute a wedge on the opening kickoff and return for a TD. Definitely one of those "You're out of your element, Donny" moments.

AppMAN04
November 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Obviously, the 2009 run, but,also the game at App. St. last year, where Matt Sczur caught, ran, and threw for 5 TD's. Some App. St. folks were telling me that Villanova was the best team they ever saw play in Boone.

Great football atmosphere and some really great bars.

I would def say he is up there with some of the greatest performances by an opposing player... He was that team though..

DaBigBlue
November 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Mine's easy. ODU's first playoff win last Saturday against Norfolk St.

Grizzlies82
November 28th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I would def say he is up there with some of the greatest performances by an opposing player... He was that team though..

Yeah, Matt Sczur (sp? "Caesar") was a one man wrecking crew against the Grizzlies in 2009. Though he didn't have 5 TDs as in Boone during 2010, he single handedly killed us in the 2009 Championship game. I believe he had about 2/3rds of their yards and essentially every big Villanova play during the game. I'm glad he graduated!

93henfan
November 28th, 2011, 06:49 PM
The entire 2003 playoff season was great. No one scored more than a single touchdown against Delaware throughout the playoffs and we dominated each game, we won the CAA title and then the unofficial MVFC title at home (though I think at the time it was still the Gateway Conference, which was a better name anyway), and I carpooled down with some friends to 'Nooga for the title game where the tailgating was great and was able to bear witness to the most dominant performance in a NC game before or since.

This.

Every playoff game that year was a blast:

1. Pummeling SIU. The hit against their QB Sambursky at the goal line.
2. The snow game versus UNI. Sitting on snow banks in the stands. Pummeling another Gateway team.
3. Semi versus Wofford. Students gathering in the south end zone, mounted police forming a horse shield around the south goal post, students charging the field and running down to the north end zone for goal post carnage. (this game was my favorite - see below image)
4. Chatty - awesome chili cookoff in the pavillion, pregame snow shower, complete domination of Colgate, fun drive down and back

http://cmsimg.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=BL&Date=20101216&Category=SPORTS07&ArtNo=12160803&Ref=PH&Item=1&Maxw=620&Maxh=465&q=60

AppMAN04
November 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Yeah, Matt Sczur (sp? "Caesar") was a one man wrecking crew against the Grizzlies in 2009. Though he didn't have 5 TDs as in Boone during 2010, he single handedly killed us in the 2009 Championship game. I believe he had about 2/3rds of their yards and essentially every big Villanova play during the game. I'm glad he graduated!

DITTO!

HailSzczur
November 28th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Szczur....close. Maybe we can all pull together and buy the guy another vowel or two for Christmas.

But yeah, he did have about 1/2 the teams yards, 2 of the 3 touchdowns (the 3rd one he set up), and ran the wildcat offense to pick up the first downs at the end to run out the clock. The 2nd half was very much Szczur's time and if it wasn't for his performance I'd be here talking about Mark Mariani's domination in the first half (180 yds, 20 yds per catch and 1TD in 30 minutes). I've never seen one player dominate us like that, especially with how well our defense played that season.

HailSzczur
November 28th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah, Matt Sczur (sp? "Caesar") was a one man wrecking crew against the Grizzlies in 2009.

Also can't forget Brandyn Harvey who wrecked a Montana defender. This was one of my favorite moments of my favorite playoff memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u3RPy1AMm0

Grizalltheway
November 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Man, it hurts watching highlights from that game; especially the second half. :(

matfu
November 28th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Best playoff memory-my only trip to Statesboro when Furman beat Ga Southern in the 2001 semis.

Worst memories-Furman losing to SF Austin in the SNOW in the 1989 semis in Greenville when we had the best team in IAA.

Also losing to App in 2005 semis when Ingle Martin could have walked into the end-zone and slipped on the ice.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 29th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Not during the playoffs, and surprisingly not the run to 'nooga, but the 2008 season:

- Hail Mary from Rodney Landers to Bosco Williams to beat Villanova as time expired.
- Punt return by Scotty McGee to beat Richmond as time expired.
- Being down 21 points to App at the 1/2 in Bridgeforth. That might be one of the best football games I've ever watched in my life.

If there is such a thing as "mojo" for a football team................we had it that season............and then it ran out against Montana.

ur2k
November 29th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The drive to beat UNI in the dome

Now with Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM6yCPJbBr8

appmaj
November 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM
'07 vs JMU or '05 Furman

GtFllsGriz
November 29th, 2011, 10:06 AM
The Griz have played in alot of playoff games so this is difficult. Two moments that stand out though are one during the "95" season when we were steamrolling one of the southern teams that we played. I was sitting just above the visitors bench. The crowd was yelling "we are #1" and one of the players looked up into the crowd with a smile on his face and raised his finger (not the middle finger)...and shook his head affirmatively saying "you are #1". It was just a proud moment.

But the best memory was not even a championship win. It was in 2008 when no one from the, dare I say, arrogant CAA, gave the Griz a chance in a playoff victory at JMU. There were so many threads with CAA fans thumping their chests about the dominance of the CAA that year. The Griz travelled across country and completely stuck it to the Dukes. That was a rewarding moment.

ASUMountaineer
November 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM
This obviously isn't my favorite playoff memory but the thing I will always remember about your 05 championship is the wounded warrior QB coming in and leading the team to a victory. He Hobbled, he limped, he could barely walk but his presence on the field help give you guys the extra jolt needed to win that game. Was always a begrudging fan of Williams, but that game sealed the deal. A real on the field leader.xthumbsupx

Great post--tried to rep, but no-go. Richie has taken a back seat to AE in the record books, but he will always be the first, the innovator, the legend that led ASU to the promised land.

asumike83
November 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OL FU again."

I loved Richie, he was a joy to watch. Glad to see the opponents respected him as well. I was at ASU for the same 4 years as Richie and in all the games I saw him play, I can't recall one time where he did not represent ASU in a favorable manner.

boogereagle
November 29th, 2011, 05:35 PM
The 2000 title game because it was Georgia Southern's last. Freezin cold and wet and the outlook was bleak and then there went AP on the son of the run. Lord a mercy.

asujch
November 29th, 2011, 08:20 PM
2009 ASU at Richmond

The final drive by AE and Devon Moore, it was my first road trip for an app game as a student. The fake hand off by AE after Moore had marched almost the length of the field was AMAZING. One the most exciting ASU games I have ever been to.

AppMAN04
December 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Today will be a great day of memories for some and not soo great for others....