PDA

View Full Version : Conference Opponents

GeauxColonels
May 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM
OK, I want to find out how well travelled all you other I-AA fans are.

Which stadiums in your conference have you visited, other than your home team's stadium? And what were your thoughts?

My Team - Nicholls State

Schools Visited:
McNeese State - GREAT stadium; always full

Northwestern State - Nice facility; sightlines are good; wish they had a different playing surface though.

Sam Houston State - Nice stadium; glad to see they are going to replace that astroturf; the trip would have been better except we let the Kats drop 69 points on us.

Southeastern Louisiana - Facility in GREAT shape after years of sitting there. I LOVE the playing surface. Good fan support and I enjoyed sitting in the end zone and talking trash this past season!

Stephen F. Austin - Decent stadium; kinda bland; did I mention that I HATE astroturf?

Texas State - Been there multiple times BEFORE and AFTER the rennovations; INCREDIBLE improvements with a very nice stadium; great field and beautiful building/fieldhouse in the endzone

I know I said CONFERENCE opponents, but I have also visited the stadiums as former SLC schools: Troy and UL-Monroe, as well as Samford.

Troy - nice facility, good field and large fanbase

UL-Monroe - good facility; poor fan following; should still be a I-AA team.

Samford - BEAUTIFUL campus; the stadium blends in well with the campus and into the natural hills; one of my favorite stadiums I have been to.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 17th, 2006, 11:43 PM

Which stadiums in your conference have you visited, other than your home team's stadium? And what were your thoughts?

My Team - Nicholls State

Schools Visited:

Northwestern State - Nice facility; sightlines are good; wish they had a different playing surface though.

Sam Houston State - Nice stadium; glad to see they are going to replace that astroturf; the trip would have been better except we let the Kats drop 69 points on us.

Southeastern Louisiana - Facility in GREAT shape after years of sitting there. I LOVE the playing surface. Good fan support and I enjoyed sitting in the end zone and talking trash this past season!

Stephen F. Austin - Decent stadium; kinda bland; did I mention that I HATE astroturf?

Texas State - Been there multiple times BEFORE and AFTER the rennovations; INCREDIBLE improvements with a very nice stadium; great field and beautiful building/fieldhouse in the endzone

I know I said CONFERENCE opponents, but I have also visited the stadiums as former SLC schools: Troy and UL-Monroe, as well as Samford.

Samford - BEAUTIFUL campus; the stadium blends in well with the campus and into the natural hills; one of my favorite stadiums I have been to.

We have to have the "turf". It rains entirely too dag-gon (to watch my language) much for us to have grass. Trust me....we have people that hate it also...At least it's better than the turf we HAD (ouch).

By da way, McNeese and there fans are King of the Southland --- Great Food, They travel "well", and Home games are almost always full. What more do ya want (besides the title Neither of us have:bawling: )

YET.....;)

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Forgot the reason I wrote.....:doh: :doh: :doh:

I blame McNeese:p

Other then Lake Charles (McNeese) and Monroe (ULM -- my cousin was a starting Weakside LB there), I haven't traveled to any of the other stadiums "Yet".

ULM used to have a decent fanbase while my cousin was there. But then again, Winning and ULM having Rosevelt Potts and Greg Robinson (The Thunder and Lightning Duo that carried ULM (ahem....Northeast Louisiana back then)) drew huge crowds. Oh, and I forgot Philyaw..he was a pretty decent QB.

I guess ULM is not used to losing (except to us and McNeese;) It's been forever (and I do mean forever for ULM fans) since that 87 National Title squad.

aggie6thman
May 17th, 2006, 11:56 PM
The only one I have been to is Mustang Stadium at Cal Poly. The student budget restricts where I can go, and since all of the other schools in the GWFC are out of state, I am kind of limited. But I really want to go to the Fargo Dome and Brookings. SUU, still don't know where the hell that is.

WYOBISONMAN
May 18th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I have been to Coughlin at SDSU, SUU, Weber, Montana State, and UNC at Greeley. This year I think I will hit the Metrodome for the Minnesota/NDSU game.....

slostang
May 18th, 2006, 12:46 AM
In the GWFC I have been to only UC Davis. In the Big Sky I have been to Eastern Washington, Montana and Sac State. Last year I made the trip to Troy, Montana (twice) and Texas State. This year I will make it to Sac State, San Jose State, San Diego State and Montana for sure and I am still working on North Dakota State.

Of the I-AA stadiums I have visited, Montana wins hands down. Texas State would come in second.

golionsgo
May 18th, 2006, 01:52 AM

My Team - Nicholls State

Schools Visited:

Glad you enjoyed your visit to our place. Strawberry Stadium is small and the press box is way outdated but it's a great place to watch a football game. Others are bigger and have more amenities but I wouldn't trade the "friendly confines" for anything!!!

The Gadfly
May 18th, 2006, 02:13 AM
VMI = CRAP

Charleston Southern = CRAP

Liberty = Bigger but still CRAP

Gardner-Webb = Nicer since the rennovations

Coastal Carolina = Nicest in the Big South but needs to grow

MR. CHICKEN
May 18th, 2006, 07:00 AM
WM & MARY........QUAINT!
TOWSON............SMALL BUT NICE
VILLANOVA.........DUMP!

BEEN TA NAVY A FEW TIMES...........GREAT!
BEEN TA TEMPLE AT DUH VET..........EARLY VET WAS NICE!.....:rotateh:.....AWK!

OH YEAH...AN' CHATTANOOGA........:hyped:xprost2x:hyped:......BRA WK!

MAH GOAL IS TA SEE EVERAH STADIUM IN A-10/CAA :bow:

NSUDemon98
May 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM

My Team - Nicholls State

Schools Visited:

Not sure how long it has been since you went to a game at NSU but we have had the "sprint-turf" or "astroplay" since 2001...coincidently, it is the same surface that SLU and TxSt. use and that most colleges are going to.

colgate13
May 18th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I've been to all of my conference's stadiums, except Georgetown, as both a player and fan. Most of the Ivy too: Cornell, Brown, Harvard, Princeton, and Dartmouth.

OL FU
May 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM
ASU - I have been to a couple of games although none recently. Always had fun.
WCU - Have not been since the visitor side of the stadium was completed. Everybody sitting on one side caused some problems back in those days. :eek:
GSU - Once you get past the dorms, everything is ok:D Great Atmosphere for football.
Citadel - The tradition and fan support is outstanding. Have not seen the renovated stadium.

Past SoCon Teams - Davidson, ETSU and VMI. I absolutely hated ETSU's dome. The worst place ever to see a football game.

This year definitely going to Wofford. Considering they are only 25 miles away I surprises even me that I have not been,

As you can see, most of my travels have been in days gone by. With kids, I am very slow to take them to away games.

OL FU
May 18th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Oh yeah I forgot, former Socon - Marshallxpumpukex

Pard4Life
May 18th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Fisher Field is our home field, but technically I have not been there yet since it is getting completely renovated.

But others:

Bucknell - Christy Matthewson Stadium, excellent view of the Appalachians, the stadium is only a few rows deep, about 20-25 perhaps, but it is a horshoe with Bucknell written with bushes in the south endzone. The stadium reminds me of a garden.

Lehigh - Gooodman Stadium, large, loud, excellent view of South Mountain, good view of the field, sits in a bowl, only complaint is that at the 50, the stands arch to form a wide curve.. bad design.

Fordham - One of my favorites, view of the Botanical Gardens, campus buildings off to your right, only have home stands though and a basbeall field on the visitors side. FieldTurf just installed with lights last year.. have not seen that yet.

Princeton - an ideal stadium, carpet grass, wide concourses, country/suburban setting, seats are close to the field

Columbia - view of the Hudson and the cliffs, horrible field though.. it's Astroturf. The facility itself is pretty good. I was able to park my car on a baseball diamond and not have it leave my eyes while sitting in the visitors stand.

Marist - the field has great potential but what is there now is very poor. If you sit in the first five rows, you can't see any action. It's literally a high school field with imported wooden bleachers. It has lights though in an area surrounded by trees, nice campus, and route 9 in the background.

Delaware - big stadium, nice field.. um, what else can I add that is not already known? parking can be a problem if you don't have a pass I guess

Miche Stadium - very nice, what more could you ask for during a football game? oh.. real grass or FieldTurf

On the schedule...

I'd say a 50/50 chance of getting up to the Harvard game this year..

I'd really like to go to Colgate.. something always comes up that week so I've never went...

Monmouth, Franklin Field in 2007.. maybe the Yale Bowl if it's scheduled.

Ronbo
May 18th, 2006, 09:13 AM
WM & MARY........QUAINT!
TOWSON............SMALL BUT NICE
VILLANOVA.........DUMP!

BEEN TA NAVY A FEW TIMES...........GREAT!
BEEN TA TEMPLE AT DUH VET..........EARLY VET WAS NICE!.....:rotateh:.....AWK!

OH YEAH...AN' CHATTANOOGA........:hyped:xprost2x:hyped:......BRA WK!

MAH GOAL IS TA SEE EVERAH STADIUM IN A-10/CAA :bow:

We want you out here for a game. Chickenman will be here during your bye week. Why don't you come see us too my avian friend. Monte really wants to meet you, know what I mean?:smiley_wi

GannonFan
May 18th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I've been to most of the A10/CAA ones - just haven't made it to Rhode Island's or New Hampshire's yet - but apparently I'm not missing much in terms of facilities. Here's my take:

UD - my home stadium, easily one of the best venues in all of IAA. A bit old but great sight lines and attendance. Great tailgating - best in the conference.

W&M - gorgeous stadium, great setting, did have a great looking field (moving to plastic now) - only complaint is a significant one - the sight lines are horrible - tough to see the game unless you're near the top of the stadium. Oh, and parking is just very difficult for an out of town visitor - definitely hinders tailgating. Oh, and no marching band.

Richmond - not much to get excited about - decent sized stadium but no one goes to the games - they use a local high school band for the marching band. Parking is real easy and right next to the stadium. Not a bad stadium, just no buzz to it.

JMU - definite up and comer. Tailgating is extensive and all over the place. They have a band that is active, the stadium is pretty good except for the track, but still good sight lines. Nice setting as well. Second best venue in the conference after UD.

Towson - Imagine if they had fans. Great looking stadium, chairbacks for all seats, tailgating is right at the stadium which is nestled onto the campus. There's a reason people think Towson is a sleeping giant - great facilities, now if they could only get some fans and a following. 5 years down the road Towson will be a perrenial contender in the conference. I think they have a band, but not sure.

villanova - Admittedly the smallness of the stadium (it's built for track and field) makes the atmosphere fun inside, but I've been there for UD games and for games not involving UD and the difference is like night and day - electric at UD games and dead as can be at non-UD games. But as venues go it's not all bad - tailgating is right across the street (supposedly there are laws against tailgating but that never seems to stop us), you're on top of the action. The band is horrible though.

Hofstra - first school in conference with a video board, but they can't get anybody in that stadium - dead atmosphere. Tailgating is right close by but this place is forgettable - could be real good but the stadium is almost twice as big as the people who go to the games.

UMass - I never liked the sight lines at this stadium - it always feels like you're too far away from the game, and I can't even remember if there is a track around the stadium - either way you're too far away. Everything else is good - good band, decent tailgating for a northern school, just a sense of being removed from the action inside.

Northeastern - well, it's intimate. That's about the best you can say about it. Way, way too small. Oh, it's in a real pretty neighborhood so it has that going for it.

Maine - actually, the best venue in the A10/CAA North - they don't get many people to the games, but I think that has more to do with the weather (and they still start some games too late in the afternoon - who's going to sit out for Maine games after 4 PM when it's dark and cold in early October, let alone November?).

If I had to rank 'em it'd go:

UD, JMU, Towson, W&M, Maine, Richmond, UMass, nova, Hofstra, Northeastern - figure that UNH and URI would be after Hofstra based on what I've seen and heard.

carney2
May 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I'm spoiled. All of the games - home and away - are on TV. It's tough to move myself out the door for a long drive when I can curse at those same 20 year olds in the comfort of my own home. Visited very few of our opponents' facilities:

Lehigh - Great stadium. Could do without the pregame stuff such as the mandatory tailgating (It's the 3rd Saturday in November, for God's sake. The wind is howling; the temps are moving down, down, down; and I'm standing there spilling beer and mustard on my brand new winter coat.); parking in the mud flats (because it's a full house); and - above all - the assinine sobriety checks that one is subjected to just to gain access to the joys of the parking lot.

Penn - Franklin Field is one of my all time favorite places to see a game. Parking is hell.

Cornell - Early season "on the crescent" is marvelous.

This year I hope to visit Bucknell, Princeton and Harvard. We'll see.

GeauxColonels
May 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Not sure how long it has been since you went to a game at NSU but we have had the "sprint-turf" or "astroplay" since 2001...coincidently, it is the same surface that SLU and TxSt. use and that most colleges are going to.

That's true. I completely forgot you guys changed to the astroplay surface...MUCH better than the old astroturf.

I've only been to Northwestern once...this year. I didn't pay too much attention to the surface because the game was actually important this year and meant something more than just "The Battle of the NSUs"

I really enjoyed my trip up there (except for the fact that they forced us to sit on the home side).

Freightliner
May 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
woohoo...my 100th post!!!xprost2x

Well - Here goes. Decided not to add D-II's.

Southland:All of them

Big Sky:Montana State (ahh..the walk), EWU (ahh the walk pt II), NAU (remembers the Harley salute), PSU(wierd playing on a baseball field) Cal Sacramento (remembers the wooden benches)

Southern:: App. State (GREAT PLACE!!!)

GWFC:: Southern Utah, Cal Poly (no rain in 4 months eh?)

OVC: Jacksonville St. (LOVED the wing place right down the street! Female kicker didnt play that week...but I saw her....PADS :nod: :eek: )

Gateway: Illinois St, Northern Iowa (Kurt Warner Era), SIU

SWAC: PVSU (remembers the arguement with the AD there), Alcorn State (before their new stadium was built)

Big South: Liberty (back in the Sam Rutigliano days)

A10:Hofstra (remembers getting lost in Queens after the game trying to get back to the hotel)

Former I-AA's
Lamar (Dropped FB)
FAU - playing in a converted soccer stadium.
Idaho - like playing in a barn
LA-Monroe
Arkansas State - back in the Larry Lacewell Days.
Troy State -(remembers watching a drunken frat guy get nailed by one of the TXST players on the sideline and the State troopers watching it all happen and laughing at the guy)
South Florida - they debuted their band..and it rained all first half.
North Texas - yeah yeah...home of the armadillos!

Current I-A's
Ok State
Minnesota
Missouri
Baylor
Texas A&M
Tulsa
New Mexico - Katie Hnida anyone?
UTEP
Pacific (dropped FB)
ULALAF

Pard4Life
May 18th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I'm spoiled. All of the games - home and away - are on TV. It's tough to move myself out the door for a long drive when I can curse at those same 20 year olds in the comfort of my own home. Visited very few of our opponents' facilities:

Lehigh - Great stadium. Could do without the pregame stuff such as the mandatory tailgating (It's the 3rd Saturday in November, for God's sake. The wind is howling; the temps are moving down, down, down; and I'm standing there spilling beer and mustard on my brand new winter coat.); parking in the mud flats (because it's a full house); and - above all - the assinine sobriety checks that one is subjected to just to gain access to the joys of the parking lot.

Penn - Franklin Field is one of my all time favorite places to see a game. Parking is hell.

Cornell - Early season "on the crescent" is marvelous.

This year I hope to visit Bucknell, Princeton and Harvard. We'll see.

xlolx I recommend chairs and a card table for that activity. And yeah, those Lehigh people don't know how to manage anything.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 18th, 2006, 11:58 AM
A-10: UNH, Northeastern, UMass, URI, Villanova, Delaware, Towson
Other I-AA: Central CT, Yale, Dartmouth, Holy Cross, Georgia Southern
Former I-AA: UConn (Memorial Field), Boston Univ.
I-A: Army, Rutgers, UConn (Rentschler Field)
Other: West Chester State, Springfield College (MA)
I-AA Walk/Drive By: Maine, Harvard, Columbia, Penn, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate, Cornell, Stony Brook, Citadel, James Madison

2006 Goal: Northwestern
End of Decade Goal: Maine, Hofstra, JMU, W&M, Richmond

Toughest Goal: Maine -- usually on a family vacation in Florida during late November
Most glaring ommission: Maine -- but when you can easily get to so many games from CT the trek to Orono never was a priority (Towson is closer).

MR. CHICKEN
May 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
We want you out here for a game. Chickenman will be here during your bye week. Why don't you come see us too my avian friend. Monte really wants to meet you, know what I mean?:smiley_wi

GRIZZWALD RON.....THKS FO' DUH INVATATION...WOULD LUV TA ATTEND UH WASHINGTON-GRIZ......PIGGY PARTY.......&...TA HEAR DUH ROAR O' DAT CROWD...MAYBEAH SOMEDAY...........................:nod:......AWK!

ErkPeterson
May 18th, 2006, 12:13 PM
FURMAN: Beautiful campus, Personally I have never had any problems with their fans ( However its always heated between us)
APP ST : Boone is gorgeous. Not a big fan of the track around the field, can't stand those-places fans too far away. Have had numerous run-ins with their fans, very obnoxious,- as are we xlolx .
THE CITADEL : Charleston is the greatest city on earth. Haven't been since their stadium has been re-done. Great fans, always a great time.
UTC : Beautiful stadium. Honestly have never been to Chattanooga for a "UTC" game. been to several National Championship games though. descent town.

Demon Fan
May 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Big Sky:Montana State (ahh..the walk), EWU (ahh the walk pt II), NAU (remembers the Harley salute), PSU(wierd playing on a baseball field) Cal Sacramento (remembers the wooden benches)

OVC: Jacksonville St. (LOVED the wing place right down the street! Female kicker didnt play that week...but I saw her....PADS :nod: :eek: )

SWAC: PVSU (remembers the arguement with the AD there), Alcorn State (before their new stadium was built)

A10:Hofstra (remembers getting lost in Queens after the game trying to get back to the hotel)

Former I-AA's
Lamar (Dropped FB)
LA-Monroe
Troy State -(remembers watching a drunken frat guy get nailed by one of the TXST players on the sideline and the State troopers watching it all happen and laughing at the guy)

Current I-A's
Ok State
Minnesota
Missouri
Baylor
Texas A&M
Tulsa
UTEP
Pacific (dropped FB)
ULALAF

My goodness Freightliner, that's an impressive list! You must be single and independently wealthy; Either that, or your work sent you to all those games.

colgate13
May 18th, 2006, 12:36 PM
My goodness Freightliner, that's an impressive list! You must be single and independently wealthy; Either that, or your work sent you to all those games.

You forgot option 3. He's 86 years old! :p

Demon Fan
May 18th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Good One!xlolx

walliver
May 18th, 2006, 12:49 PM
SoCon:

Furman - nice stadium, except late in the season the sun shines right in the eyes of fans sitting in the visitors stands. The PA announcer also manages to read at least one ad between each play.

Citadel - Haven't been in a good while

Out of Conference:

SC State - Nice stadium with good field, but concessions are bad. They didn't have diet coke and the other drinks were warm. Fans were friendly.

Gardner-Webb - Tickets were cheap but that's about all I can say good about it. Visitors restrooms are tiny. They don't carry Coke or Pepsi products - I think they use RC drinks. They put annoying loudspeakers in front of visitors stands.

I-A
South Carolina - Very big, but a high school stadium at its core. Seats given to I-AA visitors are horrible.

89Hen
May 18th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I have seen the Hens play at: JMU, W&M, Richmond, Towson, Villanova, UMass, URI and UNH in conference. Not a whole lot of chance I will be adding the other three A10 North teams though. :(

DUPFLFan
May 18th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Here is where we have gone to:

San Diego......... Beautiful setting, beautiful campus, great stadium
Dayton............. Welcome stadium is a good place to see a game. Little cold looking on the outside but inside is pretty good.
Valparaiso.......... A poor facility - Most high school stadiums are nicer.
Butler................ Looking forward to seeing the upgrade - beautiful setting, stadium looked very run down and in need of repair.
Morehead State... Good stadium and nice place to see a game.
Jacksonville........ High school stadium
Davidson............ Not been there yet.

Freightliner
May 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Good One!xlolx

Well sometimes I feel like im 86 years old but alas...no Im not.

I'll just say that work is how i've visited all of those places. HARD work indeed.

ucdtim17
May 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Just Sac State, which is an overgrown Toomey Field, which is an overgrown high school field - they do let you drink on campus before games, which is more than can be said for Davis. And there's a beer garden

Russ B
May 18th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Current Conference opponents:
Cal Poly SLO -- good atmosphere, good weather

Current 1-AA OOC Opponents:
Sac State -- big stadium, good weather

Previous 1-AA OOC opponents:
Portland St. -- baseball stadium, crappy turf (when I marched on it, at least), hit-or-miss weather (generally miss)
Montana -- great atmosphere, nice stadium
St. Mary's -- good atmosphere, but wee little stadium. Visitor's side wasn't even seats when I first marched there.
Yale -- ok, we were playing New Haven, but the game was held at the Yale Bowl. :D Big place, run down at the time.
UOP -- nice stadium, shame they don't play football there any more.
Northridge -- good weather, but stadium was no better than Toomey
Santa Clara -- baseball field.

Unfortunately, most of my travelling was done during our D-II days, to exotic locales such as Kingsville, Arcata, and Jefferson City. :D

catamount man
May 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM
App.State- nice, hate the track, HATE the portajohns on the visitors sides, get some damn restrooms! Boone is beautiful though and when the sun sets behind those hills, KBS is nice.

Citadel- trashy, run-down, bathrooms smell like week old piss. For the jack they're shelling out, JH better be good. Not much would improve it.

Chattanooga- the best in the SoCon hands down, although us and Furman are a close second. 'Nooga has a pretty good nightlife and it's just on the border of the mountains but still away from them to have a gorgeous view at night time. If that city ever gets behind the Mocs and they start winning on a regular basis, look out.

Furman-very nice and the view of Paris Mountain and the on campus church is nice on a cool fall day/evening.

GSU-nice, most obnoxious fans in the SoCon, moreso than the college kids in Boone. But with a winner, I guess they've earned it. LONG drive from where I live in upstate SC and going on down Hwy 25 past Augusta, nothing but woods.

Elon-nice, but nothing special.

Wofford-never been there, but that changes in 2006.

I-A schools
Clemson
South Carolina

Division II
Lenoir-Rhyne

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

CCUCheer
May 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I've been to...

Elon- Gorgeous school, Loved the style, had a nice stadium and friendly fans... well except one small group who would not leave us alone.

Liberty- Pretty nice stadium, it was alright

Charleston Southern- Not impressed... enough said ;)

Savannah State- Again... not impressed... they had millions of little bugs too, they were awful, and the restrooms were quite gross

App. State- Very nice, Liked the stadium and environment

SC State- Nice stadium, friendly fans, although a few tried to pick a fight out of no where with some of our teamates... ahhh the memories. hehe :)

Maroons
May 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
My Team: Eastern Kentucky

In the OVC

Tennessee State - They play in Titan's Stadium in Nashville so the facilities and field are top notch. Unfortunately, they don't fill the place when they play us and it feels like an empty bowl.

Murray State - Monolithicaly one sided. However, the track surrounding the field makes the action feel distant and the empty seats don't help. The field is ancient astroturf. It's dangerous and I'm glad we don't go there this year.

Former OVC

Western Kentucky - Will be first class after the renovation. For now, it is sadly one-sided and little more than a large concrete frame. The crowds are always rediculous... but I have only been for Eastern/Western games.

Morehead State - Nice field but the stadium feels like a high school. Largely bleachers.

DaGriz
May 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Unfortunately, most of my travelling was done during our D-II days, to exotic locales such as Kingsville, Arcata, and Jefferson City.

Arcata, I have to work there on occasion. I can't imagine locals going to a Humboldt game from that town. The crowd must be an interesting one to say the least.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM
That's true. I completely forgot you guys changed to the astroplay surface...MUCH better than the old astroturf.

I've only been to Northwestern once...this year. I didn't pay too much attention to the surface because the game was actually important this year and meant something more than just "The Battle of the NSUs"

I really enjoyed my trip up there (except for the fact that they forced us to sit on the home side).

They normally don't do that to fans here....Hmmm...U must have met the "geezer" at the gate. Next time you visit...if you want to sit on the East Side...get ya tickets and just walk over there (Security don't care much). With that said....I was on the east side next to a Nichollis Fan whom I forgot his name but his son was a DE and played special teams. Nice fella....Of course he had to smile and slightly "rub it in" when I told him Vinson is not good at reading Zones and threw an INT the very next play. Oh well...maybe I'll see him again someday.

Oh....You should be happy to sit on the home side though. I rather be in the shade with the chairbacks then on that hard *** brick we have on the East Side.

Next Alumni Objective --- Chairback on BOTH SIDES. If we have to come and watch cupcakes...at least provide us comfort...:rolleyes:

Ok I'm just blabbling now.....I better go.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 18th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Former I-AA's
Lamar (Dropped FB)
LA-Monroe

Current I-A's
Ok State
Minnesota
Missouri
Baylor
Texas A&M
Tulsa
UTEP
Pacific (dropped FB)
ULALAF

As a Colorado Buffaloes Fan as Well....I only have 2 words to say.....

No Comment :rolleyes:

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 18th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I've been to...

Elon- Gorgeous school, Loved the style, had a nice stadium and friendly fans... well except one small group who would not leave us alone.

Liberty- Pretty nice stadium, it was alright

Charleston Southern- Not impressed... enough said ;)

Savannah State- Again... not impressed... they had millions of little bugs too, they were awful, and the restrooms were quite gross

App. State- Very nice, Liked the stadium and environment

SC State- Nice stadium, friendly fans, although a few tried to pick a fight out of no where with some of our teamates... ahhh the memories. hehe :)

Gotta love the lovebugs and the nats:D

NSUDemon98
May 18th, 2006, 08:01 PM
[/B]

They normally don't do that to fans here....Hmmm...U must have met the "geezer" at the gate. Next time you visit...if you want to sit on the East Side...get ya tickets and just walk over there (Security don't care much). With that said....I was on the east side next to a Nichollis Fan whom I forgot his name but his son was a DE and played special teams. Nice fella....Of course he had to smile and slightly "rub it in" when I told him Vinson is not good at reading Zones and threw an INT the very next play. Oh well...maybe I'll see him again someday.

Oh....You should be happy to sit on the home side though. I rather be in the shade with the chairbacks then on that hard *** brick we have on the East Side.

Next Alumni Objective --- Chairback on BOTH SIDES. If we have to come and watch cupcakes...at least provide us comfort...:rolleyes:

Ok I'm just blabbling now.....I better go.

And decrease our stadium capacity?

Well, we don't come close to filling the place so it couldn't hurt.

DaGriz
May 18th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I have only been to:

I-AA:
Sac. St.
Portland State-that's an interesting stadium. In a baseball stadium right in down town Portland. You can walk along the street and look down into the stadium.
Montana State
Hopefully this year I will be able to add Chatt. to the list. :smiley_wi
I-A:
Colorado
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
Add University of Tennessee to the list after this year.

I have been to these stadiums but not during football season, just stopped to look at the stadiums:

SW Missouri St
Penn St.
Yale
Cornell
UCLA
Lehigh
University of Washington
Oregon State

Green Cookie Monster
May 18th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Attended game:

Sac State
UC Davis
Cal Poly
McNeese State
Texas State
SFA
Sam Houston
Rice
Texas
Nevada
Portland State
North Carolina
Duke
UOP
Illinois

Explored football facility: Richmond, Houston, Lamar, S. Mississippi, E. Tennessee, Utah State, Elon, W. Carolina, Montana State, Idaho State, Boise State, Fresno State, Santa Clara, NC State, Tulsa, Texas Tech, NM State, Kansas, Arkansas State, La. Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane, CSU Fullerton, UNLV, Wyoming, N. Arizona, Arizona, UTEP, Virginia, Virginia Tech, JMU, S. Illinois, Penn, Wisconsin, Youngstown State, Kent State, Toledo, San Jose State, Stanford, California, St. Mary's, Oregon State, S. Utah and N. Illinois, Liberty, Coastal Carolina

D2: too many to list

in no particular order.

SochorField
May 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I-A:
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
Washington State
San Jose State
Fresno State

I-AA
UC Davis
Sac State
Cal Poly

D-II
Humboldt State

McNeese75
May 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM

:nod: xlolx

elkmcc
May 19th, 2006, 12:49 AM
BSC: MSU, PSU, NAU, EWU - (Woodward and Joe Albi), Weber St., Idaho St.

Former BSC: Idaho, Boise St.

Other I-AA: Marshall, Chattanooga, SFA,

I-AA wish list: McNeese St., UD, YSU, App St., UNI

I-A wish list: ND, USC

colgate13
May 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM
I have been to these stadiums but not during football season, just stopped to look at the stadiums:

SW Missouri St
Penn St.
Yale
Cornell
UCLA
Lehigh
University of Washington
Oregon State

You're in central New York and you waste time on Cornell and Ithaca? Head an hour east next time to the Chenango valley and Colgate, especially if it is summertime! :nod:

Freightliner
May 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Explored football facility: Lamar

When did you see that decrepid old place?

GeauxColonels
May 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Explored football facility: Richmond, Houston, Lamar, S. Mississippi, E. Tennessee, Utah State, Elon, W. Carolina, Montana State, Idaho State, Boise State, Fresno State, Santa Clara, NC State, Tulsa, Texas Tech, NM State, Kansas, Arkansas State, La. Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Tulane, CSU Fullerton, UNLV, Wyoming, N. Arizona, Arizona, UTEP, Virginia, Virginia Tech, JMU, S. Illinois, Penn, Wisconsin, Youngstown State, Kent State, Toledo, San Jose State, Stanford, California, St. Mary's, Oregon State, S. Utah and N. Illinois, Liberty, Coastal Carolina

Now when you say that you explored their football facility...do you mean stadium or practice facilities?

Eagle_77
May 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Here is my list:

SoCon

Citadel- I have been here 4 times I believe. The stadium was in horrible condidtion but they have been working on it for a while now. I cant wait to make another trip this year and see the finished result. Its gonna look that the Bone Yard is gaurded by a Castle. Oh and did I say that Charlestown is awesome?

Furman- I believe I have been here 4 times as well half the time was great the other half I left pretty pissed. I think as far as their campus goes its one of the nicest I have been on. Up there with Dukes campus honeslty. As for the stadium the sun is a killer. Nicely set in the hills and a small mountain as the back drop.

Wofford- Been here 3 times. Not much fan support kills the atmosphere a little but not a bad place. I believe this is a better place to watch a game under the lights. Over all not bad but not great either.

Chattanooga- Top notch stadium! I have been to this stadium 6 times (3 regular season games and 3 Championship games) and its great. It is set in historic Chattanooga and is a very fun place to watch a game. I cant wait to make another trip this year and see the new turf. If you have not been to this place then you need to make the trip and then you will understand why it host the NC game.

Other I-AA Stadiums
Savannah St- This place is a dump. They share the field with a local HS team and the turf is never in good shape. The state of this stadium reflects the state of its football team.

USF (former I-AA)- I went and saw GSU v. USF when USF was still I-AA. They played at the old Bucs stadium and it was wild. Fun times and because it was an off campus stadium they sold beer at the game.

Div II Stadiums
Valdosta St- They call this place Death Valley for a reason. You might actually die from the poor conditions of the Stadium. They share this stadium with Valdosta St which is one of the best HS in the state and at one time one of the best in the Country. I hear they are redoing the stadium or building a new one. That would be a really good idea because this place is horrible.

I-A Stadiums
Duke- This is the nicest campus I have ever been on but I was highly dissapointed in their stadium. The track around the field and all just not very impressive at all. You could tell this was a basketball school.

UGA- I have been to this stadium more than I would like to admit. I have been there 3 times to see GSU play and a few others with friends from HS that went there. Did I mention that I HATE UGA? Nice place though. 90,000+ at a football game is a site to see and a great atmoshpere. As much as I hate them they know how to tailgate and party.

Georgia Tech- This was my first stadium visited other than GSU's when I was about 12. I went with my father and didnt really get to "discover" what all it had to offer. It was fun though and I remeber it being a nice place. Kinda cool seing the ATL Skyline on top of you while you watching a football game.

Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party- I know its not a college stadium but UGA/FL in Jacksonville is an unreal environment. Party Party Party and that stadium ROCKS with all the fans in it. I have seen the Jags play in that same stadium and that atmosphere can not hold the jock of UGA/FL game in it. The only bad thing about this game was that UGA won. They never beat FL accept the one year I go.

Demon Fan
May 19th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I guess that depends on your definition of close.

The top four games in attendance exceeded stadium capacity (15,971):
#1 17,528 - 110% (2000)
#4 16,222 - 102% (1996)
#6 14,591 - 91% (2004)
#9 14,247 - 89% (1998)
#10 13,600 - 85% (1987)

You are however correct in saying that it should be better.

The past four seasons (2002-2005) the average home attendance was 9,683 - 61% of capacity.

For a school of about 10,000 (6,500 on the main campus) and a town of 18,000, that may not be all that bad.

I attend all the home games by driving from Shreveport, 80 miles away.

ucdtim17
May 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I-A - many games at Stanford Stadium which was a dump but has the best tailgating anywhere. New stadium is going to be beautiful and a HUGE improvement.

Memorial Stadium in Berkeley is definitely due for a remodel as well. Tailgating is nonexistent compared to Stanford and getting there is a bitch. Beautiful location though.

Notre Dame Stadium is everything it's cracked up to be. Gameday on campus is just an amazing atmosphere - watching the band line up at the administration building (dome) and march to the stadium playing the Victory March - it doesn't get any better.

Been to many other stadiums all over but I guess those are the only ones I've been to games at in addition to Davis and Sac. The Big House is mighty big but Virginia is tops on my list for beautiful stadiums.

Russ B
May 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Arcata, I have to work there on occasion. I can't imagine locals going to a Humboldt game from that town. The crowd must be an interesting one to say the least.

Pretty mixed...locals (Arcata, Eureka, other smaller towns), some students, and we generally brought a fairly large travelling contingent. Fairly picturesque setting, though a dinky stadium capacity-wise.

PapaBear
May 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Maine - actually, the best venue in the A10/CAA North - they don't get many people to the games, but I think that has more to do with the weather (and they still start some games too late in the afternoon - who's going to sit out for Maine games after 4 PM when it's dark and cold in early October, let alone November?).

You're right, GF. From what I've seen, Alfond is one of the nicer venues in the A10 North. Scenic. Great parking. Easy on/off from Rt 95.

Frankly, it's nicer than many of the A10 South and even Patriot sites I've seen, too.

But I'll quibble a bit with your argument that weather keeps our fan base down. Maine's fall weather is the nicest I've ever seen for football. Most games played in New Engand, and moreso in MidAtlantic States, are played in oppressively hot weather (by football standards) during September and much of October. 50 degrees is simply too hot for that sport, let alone the 80s and 90s you get in Virginia and Maryland in early fall.

Maine has 30-degree daytime temps for most of football season. That's perfect for football. Ask a player, if you doubt me.

Even in September the days are more in the 40- or 45-degree range instead of 50s and 60s.

No, weather isn't Maine's problem. To me, it's more about population density. There aren't as many potential fans within driving distance of Orono to support a 10,000 average, consistently. I don't think Maine could draw 10,000 consistently even if temps stayed in the 60s through November.

Winning can and will cure that, though.:nod: :nod: :nod:

paytonlives
May 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Portland State- Its a Baseball field- Enough said

Eastern Washington- At Joe Alby in Spokane nice enough. In Cheney, A glorified High School field. And thats being generous.

Idaho State- Crappy Dome in a Crappy city. I always love it (tongue in cheek) when the football bounces off a wall and he goal posts never touch the ground.

Montana State- Cow Pasture

Montana- THE BEST in 1AA

eagle1
May 19th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Big Sky Conference
Eastern Washington (Not a HS Stadium:nono: , Nice Press Box, best grass surface)
Idaho State (Crappy dome, lots of thundersticks)
Montana (Great stadium, fans are rude)
Montana State (Nice Press Box but the field sucks)
Northern Arizona (Nice dome, very laid back fans)
Portland State (Nice Baseball Stadium, horrible turf)
Sacramento State (All the bleachers are temporary, decent field)
Weber State (Best Press Box, also very laid back fans)

Other I-AA
Nicholls State (Mosquitoes, run down stadium, bermuda grass)
Northern Iowa (Best dome stadium, loud crowd)
Southern Illinois (Very run down stadium, nice turf)
Villanova (Decent stadium, laid back crowd)

I-A
Air Force Academy (Best atmosphere, nice grass field)
Ohio University (Good stadium, nice turf surface)
San Diego State (Dirt patches from baseball, big time feel)
San Jose State (Nice location, very laid back fans)
University of Kansas (Decent atmosphere, cool waving of wheat by fans)
University of Oklahoma (Awesome atmosphere, loud crowd, sea of red fans)

D2
Central Missouri State (Some of the best facilities in D2)

McTailGator
May 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=GeauxColonels]OK, I want to find out how well travelled all you other I-AA fans are.

My Team - Nicholls State

Schools Visited:

QUOTE]

ALL SLC Schools including the past ones, UNT, UTA, ULL, ULM, Troy, Jacksonville State, and Lamar...

Plus,

Nichols;
Southern;
Maine;
Grambling (Nice folks)
P-View (AstroDome);
Youngstown (Great Fans)
GeoSouthern (More Great Fans)
and of course

Chattanooga (twice) (;

Great I-A's that we have played:

Miami;
Texas A&M;
Nebraska; and
K-State

And Tiger Stadium at LSU, but it was on a McNeese Open Date in 2003 when they played Florida.

swaghook
May 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Northern Iowa (Best dome stadium, loud crowd)

The best, our just the best you've been too.:eyebrow:

kats89
May 19th, 2006, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=GeauxColonels]OK, I want to find out how well travelled all you other I-AA fans are.

My Team - Nicholls State

Schools Visited:

QUOTE]

ALL SLC Schools including the past ones, UNT, UTA, ULL, ULM, Troy, Jacksonville State, and Lamar...

Plus,

Nichols;
Southern;
Maine;
Grambling (Nice folks)
P-View (AstroDome);
Youngstown (Great Fans)
GeoSouthern (More Great Fans)
and of course

Chattanooga (twice) (;

Great I-A's that we have played:

Miami;
Texas A&M;
Nebraska; and
K-State

And Tiger Stadium at LSU, but it was on a McNeese Open Date in 2003 when they played Florida.

With the new scoreboard going up, new weight facility about completed overlooking the stadium, 6 suites on home side and new SpinTurf in '07, Bowers Stadium will be a top notch venue in years to come. Bowers will never have natural grass because SHSU and Huntsville High both play there and SHSU always hosts a full schedule of high school playoff games during the year.

My take on conference stadiums....

Tx State...nice improvements. Nice place to see a game.

Northwestern St.. Stadium has a big time D-I feel, needs major work. Not my favorite place to travel to.

SFA... I will agree stadium is bland, but has a lot of potential. Lumberjacks still suck and so does Homer/Bryce Stadium.

McNeese St.. Great atmosphere and place is normally rocking. But, the nickname does fit "The Hole".

SE La.. Nice facility for sitting up for so long.

Nicholls St.. Only thing good about this place is the sound system.

I-A's we have played and I have traveled...

Tx A&M................ stadium does the talking! One of the greatest college atmospheres on game day.

Univ of Houston...Nice facility for a crappy program. They even sell beer at Robertson Stadium.

Rice Stadium....Place is huge (72K), but really needs work.

Baylor Univ... Nice stadium!

La. Lafayette... Nice facility.

Also, any Central Arkansas fans have any pics of your facilities you can post? Just curious what ya'll are bringing to the Southland.

Kill'em
May 20th, 2006, 12:33 AM
In the SoCon:
Furman- Not impressed with the stadium, but the campus is absolutely stunning, especially in November. I figured Greenville to be a Statesboro-sized town but I was shocked to see how big it actually is.

Chattanooga- Been there for three Title Games.:hurray: It is the nicest sadium I've been to see a game. Downtown Chattanooga is a nice place.

Out of Conference:
South Carolina St- Big stadium and very friendly folks. Great road trip!

Savannah St- I've lived in this area for almost 30 years and T. Wright Stadium is a toilet! xpumpukex I've been there several times to see high school games but I wouldn't waste time on seeing SSC. They don't play home to just one high school team but several.

I-A:
uga- Just the thought of this place makes me sick. I hope it falls to the ground! There is nothing nice to say about it. And their fans actually bark!

McNeeserocket
May 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM

I have been to all the present Southland stadiums.

Northwestern State - this place rocks everytime McNeese plays there
Nicholls State - stadium is nice and fans are nice, but they need to get more of their fans to the game
Southeastern LA - Nice stadium, has a lot of potential as time goes on. Team is definitely on the rise
SFA - Stadium is ok, but not well planned for refreshments or restrooms. Fans are great
Sam Houston State - Nice fans, nice stadium and field. We always have a fun time there
Texas State - really top notch facilities. Admin. needs to move students away from visitors as they are just plain rude to visitors, especially older visitor fans. Good atmosphere when they have a winning team (like this last year) otherwise stadium is rather bare

Past Southland Stadiums I have been to:

Troy State - Nice Stadium, Fans were hostile
Jacksonville State - Stadium ok, but could use updtate. Fans were nice
UL-Monroe - Stadium ok, should have been more fans
UL-Lafayette (USL) great atmosphere when McNeese fans were there
Lamar State - Always a great game when we played as it was almost a home game

I-AA OOC Stadiums I have been to:
Youngstown State - great atmosphere, friendly fans, fun time
Georgia Southern - great tailgating, friendly fans, great atmosphere
Western Kentucky - Some of the nicest fans, stadium only one sided though
Southern Utah - small stadium, but nice field
Southern - Unbelievable tailgating, good stadium, fans were nice
Grambling - Great overall atmosphere, great stadium, fans and football day atmosphere is top notch!!!
Portland State - fans were nice but not many of them. Stadium is nice in that it is covered in most areas. This is a very different stadium as I believe it serves for all clubs and venues.

I-A Stadums I have been to for a McNeese game:
Nebraska - best atomosphere ever in a stadium. Fans were the nicest and friendliest of all
Texas A&M - You cannot believe the this place. The noise and traditions are awsome! Everyone stands the entire game! Nice fans
Miami - Big time stadium. Good atmosphere. One thing stood out was that they served beer until half time.
Kansas State - Nuce stadium, Tailgating was very average, fans were not friendly

Places I want to go:
Montana - Got to visit the place that legends are made of
Delaware - heard this is a must for a great game atmosphere
Northern Iowa - Have heard so much about this stadium and I know their fans are top notch
Appalachian State - want to see and feel it for myself
Maine - can't imagine anything in Maine not being beautiful. Their fans were some of the nicest I have ever met when they came to our house
Montana State - heard this is also a great football atmosphere

griz&beer
May 20th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I have been to 3 southland stadums. MSU , SHSU and Nic state. Got to see the last game of the year between The Cowboys and Nic State. Nic State got a nice home.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 20th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I guess that depends on your definition of close.

The top four games in attendance exceeded stadium capacity (15,971):
#1 17,528 - 110% (2000)
#4 16,222 - 102% (1996)
#6 14,591 - 91% (2004)
#9 14,247 - 89% (1998)
#10 13,600 - 85% (1987)

You are however correct in saying that it should be better.

The past four seasons (2002-2005) the average home attendance was 9,683 - 61% of capacity.

For a school of about 10,000 (6,500 on the main campus) and a town of 18,000, that may not be all that bad.

I attend all the home games by driving from Shreveport, 80 miles away.

Those gotta be either McNeese games or Homecoming. Am I right...I'm too lazy to check.

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM

U have a point there (U also see my point..hehe).

GAD
May 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Those gotta be either McNeese games or Homecoming. Am I right...I'm too lazy to check.
I doubt you are right on that one lol.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 20th, 2006, 09:44 PM
In the SLC:

McNeese--great atmosphere, great stadium. experienced some verbal abuse from drunk fans but what is college football without drunk fans!? Fans travel well.

SHS--well, the last time I went there, it still looked like an average/above average high school stadium (much like ours did a few years ago). hopefully with the improvements, it looks better. (no more astroturf please)

SFA--i agree with some of the other SLC posters--this stadium is blaaaand. but, the fans can be fun (if you have thick skin). and for god's sake, pull up the turf! lol.

Nicholls St.--Stadium leaves alot to be desired but Nicholls State has the best sound system in the SLC. Upgrades to the stadium would be nice (still looks a bit archaic). don't remember seeing many fans from Nicholls State last time they visited SM...hopefully they will come out this year.

Northwestern St.--nice, big stadium.

I haven't been to SELA yet.

ngineer
May 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I've been to all the PL's for games, except Colgate, though I did see it while taking my daughter on the 'college tour' in 1997.
Bucknell-nice old horseshoe. Visitors, though, sit looking into the sun.
Colgate-nice homestand, but the visitors could be a little higher--but I understand insufficient need to do so. Needs a dome.:p
Georgetown--worse than most high schools' I played in. HOwever, I'm looking forward to the revist to the remodeled this year.
Holy Cross---classic old stadium. good sight lines.
Fordham--one-sided makes it odd, but good view.
Lafayette--currently a pit, but help is on the way.
Lehigh--Goodman is a beautiful setting--especially when the trees are turning colors on South Mountain. Only criticism is that the stands are a little too far back--but that was planned because the stadium was designed to accomodate soccer, as well and in following the natural contour of the bowl.
Navy and Michie--Navy and Army or PL in the other sports. Both are great venues, although's Navy's could have a steeper pitch for the lower level.
OOC's:
Delaware--great venue. good sight lines and convenient facilities
Penn--Franklin Field is my favorite stadium--sentimental due to watching the Eagles there in the '60's. Great sight lines--so long as you don't have a post.
Harvard--bring a cushion--old poured concrete ledges to sit on.
Cornell--too far away from the field.
Hofstra--nice little stadium. Too bad they don't have any fans to fill it.
Princeton--IMO the best stadium in I-AA that I have seen. Great location close to the field, good pitch and sight lines, convenient facilities.
William & Mary--lovely stadium and beautiful campus. Saw Lehigh game there in early '90's.
I-A's I've been to (besides Navy and Army):
Michigan aka "The Big House"--despite the hoopla--a lousy place to watch a game. Too far away from the field. Might as welll watch on a 13" TV.
Mich. State--Spartan Stadium--much better venue. great atmosphere.
Notre Dame--What an atmosphere. I was there in 1976 to see the Alabama game when both were ranked #1 and #2. ND won 21-16, with 'Bama on the one yard line when the clock ran out.

blukeys
May 20th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I have been to all the present Southland stadiums.

Northwestern State - this place rocks everytime McNeese plays there
Nicholls State - stadium is nice and fans are nice, but they need to get more of their fans to the game
Southeastern LA - Nice stadium, has a lot of potential as time goes on. Team is definitely on the rise
SFA - Stadium is ok, but not well planned for refreshments or restrooms. Fans are great
Sam Houston State - Nice fans, nice stadium and field. We always have a fun time their
Texas State - really top notch facilities. Admin. needs to move students away from visitors as they are just plain rude to visitors, especially older visitor fans. Good atmosphere when they have a winning team (like this last year) otherwise stadium is rather bare

Past Southland Stadiums I have been to:

Troy State - Nice Stadium, Fans were hostile
Jacksonville State - Stadium ok, but could use updtate. Fans were nice
UL-Monroe - Stadium ok, should have been more fans
UL-Lafayette (USL) great atmosphere when McNeese fans were there
Lamar State - Always a great game when we played as it was almost a home game

I-AA OOC Stadiums I have been to:
Youngstown State - great atmosphere, friendly fans, fun time
Georgia Southern - great tailgating, friendly fans, great atmosphere
Western Kentucky - Some of the nicest fans, stadium only one sided though
Southern Utah - small stadium, but nice field
Southern - Unbelievable tailgating, good stadium, fans were nice
Grambling - Great overall atmosphere, great stadium, fans and football day atmosphere is top notch!!!
Portland State - fans were nice but not many of them. Stadium is nice in that it is covered in most areas. This is a very different stadium as I believe it serves for all clubs and venues.

I-A Stadums I have been to for a McNeese game:
Nebraska - best atomosphere ever in a stadium. Fans were the nicest and friendliest of all
Texas A&M - You cannot believe the this place. The noise and traditions are awsome! Everyone stands the entire game! Nice fans
Miami - Big time stadium. Good atmosphere. One thing stood out was that they served beer until half time.
Kansas State - Nuce stadium, Tailgating was very average, fans were not friendly

Places I want to go:
Montana - Got to visit the place that legends are made of
Delaware - heard this is a most for a great game atmosphere
Northern Iowa - Have heard so much about this stadium and I know their fans are top notch
Appalachian State - want to see and feel it for myself
Maine - can't image anything in Maine not being beautiful. Their fans were some of the nicest I have ever met when they came to our house
Montana State - heard this is also a great football atmosphere

You must be our guest!!! I have friends who played in the '74 game and we do party before the game. Of Course you won't get to experience the ultimate in UD football and that is the WALL.

Demon Fan
May 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM

Breaking down the opponents of the top 10 attended games in Turpin Stadium:
Southern - 4
McNeese State - 4
Northeast Lousiana (now ULM) - 1
Tarleton State (TX) - 1

Homecomings - 2

Fox TV/Thursday - 1

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 21st, 2006, 02:48 PM
Breaking down the opponents of the top 10 attended games in Turpin Stadium:
Southern - 4
McNeese State - 4
Northeast Lousiana (now ULM) - 1
Tarleton State (TX) - 1

Homecomings - 2

Fox TV/Thursday - 1

My bad....Forgot da Jags (WE GOTTA RENEW THAT SERIES...somehow...someway).

GAD
May 21st, 2006, 03:48 PM
My bad....Forgot da Jags (WE GOTTA RENEW THAT SERIES...somehow...someway).
Ya got that right (somehow...anyway)

McNeese75
May 21st, 2006, 04:02 PM
You must be our guest!!! I have friends who played in the '74 game and we do party before the game. Of Course you won't get to experience the ultimate in UD football and that is the WALL.

I blessed that "Shrine" in 1997!! :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 21st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Bucknell- Nice stadiumd and great place to watch a game, gotta love the chairbacks
Fordham- Not as bad as some make it out to be. If they put a 1,500 seat visitor side it would pretty competent
Colgate- Home side is nice the away side needs some work but i think that's in the future.
Lafayette- the worst stadium in the league in terms of condition but should be one of the nicest once it's redone
Georgetown- worse then most high schools and with Gtowns financial troubles will continue to be so

Other 1-AA's
Delaware- Big and loud the closest big time atmosphere there is in the northeast without actually being at a 1-A game. Needs some updating though, showing it's age
Hofstra-'99 playoff game; Nice stadium, wouldn't want sit in it during and lightning storm though.
Princeton- Nicest 1-AA stadium i've been to. If it ever got filled, (27,000) it would be an awesome place to be.
Franklin Field- I've been here for numerous Temple games and the Lehigh Penn game in 2002. Really cool architecture and seems even bigger then 50,000.
Cornell- was there in '01, Big old Concrete away side with a great view of Lake Cuyuga i think? Home side is much smaller and newer.
Umass- '98 playoff game; A smaller UD Stadium, although the pressbox is even concrete at Umass.
Towson- one of the nicest stadiums i've been to. Before it was expanded it was like Fordham but on a big hill.
Yale- was there in '04, You can feel the history. You could easily miss it driving around as it's almost completely underground. Can't wait to get back this year and see how the restoration process is going.
Michia Stadium- '95; Prolly the coolest stadium i've been there, i've been to ND and the Big House. It's setting is awesome and with the cadets jumping around the place rocks.

blukeys
May 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
I blessed that "Shrine" in 1997!! :D

UGH!!!!!!! False start kick a field goal!:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

GSUhooligan
May 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM
Furman-fine, with the exception of the sun in your eyes on the visiting side

Wofford-reminded me of my high school stadium

Citadel- When I was there, everyone was on one side (except the cadets), thank God I only had to hear that cannon twice(and only once because of a score)

Elon- visito side is a joke, but I like the brick

App- Nice scenery, visitors have to use porta potties(I guess all you can get in Boone is modern out houses) and there were too many run-ins with the opposing fans.

UTC- Pretty ok. Glad they fixed the field surface

OOC

Northeastern-biggest joke of a football stadium I've ever seen. I've seen better pee-wee stadiums. Was that a house in the endzone?

FL connection
May 23rd, 2006, 10:00 PM
Have been to all the OVC stadiums at least once.......

JSU- classy place if you don't have to sit by the band, have seen two great games there

TSU- fortunate to play for two of their Homecoming crowds, great time

EKU- tough place to play and will have to be prepared this coming year for the CHAMPIONSHIP game in the OVC

TTU, MSU- old turf...........hurts my knees and elbows watching

Martin- no comment

Samford- quaint

SEMO- uneventful

Gateway stadiums

Ill St.- fun place to play against in-state rival

Ind. St.- one of one hundred people there

UNI-Dome- awesome football setting

D I-A

Eastern Michigan
BYU
Missouri
Illinois (this yr.)
Hawaii (this yr.)
UF
UM
FSU
USF
UCF

high School and college days

U of Iowa
Iowa st

connection out!!

RabidRabbit....let's have a beer at the SLIPKNOT!!!!! :hurray:

griz37
May 23rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Big Sky
Montana St.- Nice enough stadium, great tailgating. The end zone bleachers were kind of sketchy though. The outcome of the game was horrible & I blame the people of Bozeman. xlolx

Idaho St.- The Mini-Dome is a glorified potato barn. There is not enough room between rows for people to pass, its 900 degrees inside & the food sucks.

Portland St.- Saw the Griz play them at the high school stadium in Hillsboro in 2000. Actually a very nice high school stadium.

EWU- Both times were at Joe Albi in Spokane, each time it looked like there were more Griz than EWU fans. Both games were at night, love college football in the evenings. Again a pretty nice high school complex.

Griz vs. I-A

Idaho- Watched the 1st game at Martin stadium at WSU. Probably the best Griz game I have ever seen. Joe Glenns 1st win w/the Griz. Very nice stadium in Pullman.

Idaho at the Kibbie Dome. Once again a great outcome but another potato barn. Does the whole town of Moscow always smell like that?

Oregon- Loved Autzen stadium. The town of Eugene is great. The stadium is the loudest I have been to & the fans are knowledgable & nice.

Others- Watched Michigan play at both Autzen, once again great. Also watched them play the Huskies in Seattle. The track around the field is weak & the fans were rude. Not a big fan of Husky stadium.

Husky Alum
May 24th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Here's my list...

A-10: Northeastern, BU (RIP), UConn (Alumni Stadium), UMass, UNH, URI, W&M, Delaware (walk by), Maine (walk by)

PL: Holy Cross, Georgetown (walk by)

Ivy: Yale, Harvard, Penn, Brown, Columbia, Cornell

I-A: Arizona, USC, Air Force, Army, Navy, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Clemson, Arizona State

Other I-AA: Youngstown, ND State (this year), Illinois State (drive by)

The "House" in NU's endzone is the original "fieldhouse" that goes back to the 1920s and is the home lockerroom.

TheValleyRaider
May 24th, 2006, 10:01 PM
PL
Colgate-Home, sweet home. Although it's a little too big, especially on the visitor's side.
Lehigh-Nicest PL stadium I've been to, but the parking lot could stand to be a bit closer. Good atmosphere to go along with the surroundings.
Lafayette-Well, the stadium as it was is, well, a dump. Couldn't say much for the crowd either, but overall the stands an amenities were lacking.
Holy Cross-Concessions stands were a little difficult to find, and the stadium was a bit too big for their current needs.

Ivy
Dartmouth-It was nice. Nothing too bad, nothing special about it. Just nice.
Cornell-A larger version of Andy Kerr, really. Seemed slightly too big for them as well, but overall not too bad. Crowd was decent both times in terms of noise and atmosphere.
Princeton-The crowd was kinda dead both times (although one was a 30-3 Colgate blowout, and the other in a monsoon), and the stadium (again) seemed too big. But oh man what a stadium. Probably the best I-AA I've seen.
Yale-The Bowl, while impressive at first sight, is slightly less so when you notice it's falling apart. Luckly, they are renovating it, but I can't say when I'll be able to make a trip back there anytime soon.

Other
UMass-Atmosphere was good, stadium was full. However it should be noted that it was the largest crowd they had seen since the 1970s, so I'm guessing the lights and night game had something to do with it. So please tell me the schedule is wrong saying this year's game is at 1 pm.
UTC-Well, it wasn't for a Chattanooga game, but the stadium itself was nice, looked very professional.

MR. CHICKEN
May 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Here's my list...

A-10: Northeastern, BU (RIP), UConn (Alumni Stadium), UMass, UNH, URI, W&M, Delaware (walk by), Maine (walk by)

PL: Holy Cross, Georgetown (walk by)

Ivy: Yale, Harvard, Penn, Brown, Columbia, Cornell

I-A: Arizona, USC, Air Force, Army, Navy, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Clemson, Arizona State

Other I-AA: Youngstown, ND State (this year), Illinois State (drive by)

The "House" in NU's endzone is the original "fieldhouse" that goes back to the 1920s and is the home lockerroom.

WHAT DUH HEY...IS UH WALK BY?....DID YA GET IN OR NOT?.....:confused:.....AWK!

BaylorTitan
May 24th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Watch this list for a junior in high School:

D1-A
Notre Dame
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Florida
Texas Tech
LSU
Vanderbilt
Florida State
Ole Miss
Alabama
New Mexico
Baylor
SMU
Tulsa
TCU
La Tech
UL-Lafeyette
UL-Monroe
UNT (worst ever in any division)
Illinois
Rice
Houston

D1-AA

TX St.
SHSU
SFA
Samford(beautiful)
Texas Southern
NW St.
Missouri St.

My family is very sports oriented and we love to follow Baylor and go to other college sporting events

Bear Fan 101
May 24th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Man you SLC guys have me worried a bit that we might run out of room when you guys show up in Conway starting with the 2007 football season. I am looking forward to traveling to all the SLC stadiums at every opportunity I get!

I wish some of you other SLC posters would come on over to our board and start explaining to our fans what we can, and can't expect on our home field, and on the road as far as attendance and fans go. Our stadium will hold over 10-11K with all the standing room, but I just think once you SLC guys start traveling to Conway, if we have any kind of home crowd, we will run out of room or it will be a tight fit, which actually wouldnt be a bad thing really! It would mean our fans are coming out in bunches as well.

As far as all the different stadiums I've been to or visited, I'm a little limited

Duke
UNC
NC State
Univ. of Arkansas (both stadiums)
UAPB, when I was way younger
Ark St (as both a 1-AA and current Sun Belt)
Illinois
Louisiana Tech
Memphis' Liberty Bowl
Memorial Stadium - Lincoln, Neb
Murray State
Kansas Univ.
Southern Miss.
UT Martin
Vandy
Neyland Stadium, TN
Missouri State (SMS back then)

and of course UCA's Estes Stadium...and all the D2 stadiums in the state of Arkansas. I have yet to visit any of the SLC conference venues, which as I stated before I cant wait to get to those and get into the SLC!

GeauxColonels
May 25th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Man you SLC guys have me worried a bit that we might run out of room when you guys show up in Conway starting with the 2007 football season. I am looking forward to traveling to all the SLC stadiums at every opportunity I get!

The teams you'll probably have to worry about the most are McNeese and Northwestern. Both fan bases travel well and Northwestern is probably the closest SLC school to UCA.

Overall, from my experiences, McNeese is easily the best travelled school in the SLC (I guess that comes from years of success on the field).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM
WHAT DUH HEY...IS UH WALK BY?....DID YA GET IN OR NOT?.....:confused:.....AWK!

In my case, since reading all the threads about stadiums and looking at the pics of stadiums, I now go out of my way to look at any I-AA stadium that I can! Example, after my trip to Villanova in 2004, I returned home via Bethlehem and Easton so that I could see the Lehigh and Lafayette stadiums. Unless UNH happens to play there, I doubt I'd see a game there.

Sometimes, you just happen to be near a campus in the off season or during basketball season. That's how I managed to see Colgate, Cornell and Stony Brook's stadium.

The important thing is that it is another sign of having that affliction known as I-AA Fever. If this makes me a sick puppy, well then I'm just fine with that. There are much worse addictions than I-AA Football, craft beers and bikini threads!!!! :nod: xlolx xlolx

GeauxColonels
May 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
In my case, since reading all the threads about stadiums and looking at the pics of stadiums, I now go out of my way to look at any I-AA stadium that I can![QUOTE=UNH_Alum_In_CT]

That's an EXCELLENT idea! I'm going to have to try that. I've seen the Chatanooga stadium while passing on the interstate on the way to the Smokies last year. I don't travel much, but I think now, I'm going to make a point to check into I-AA stadiums on (or close to :D) my route.

My dad travels a good bit for his job and makes sure to look at the local college stadiums. He wass unimpressed by The Big House @ Michigan; LOVED the stadium at U of Illinois; and had ok things to say about the stadium at Kansas State.

[QUOTE=UNH_Alum_In_CT]There are much worse addictions than I-AA Football, craft beers and bikini threads!!!! :nod: xlolx xlolx

Sounds like a good time!!
:beerchug:
xprost2x

JaxStateManager
May 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Ok, here is my list of stadiums since 2001;

~Southland~
McNeese
Nicholls
Northwestern State
Texas State
Sam Houston
Stephen F. Austin

~OVC~
Austin Peay
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Kentucky
Tennessee Tech
Tennessee State
Tennessee Martin
Southeast Missouri
Samford
Murray State

~Pioneer~
Morehead State

~Southern~
Tennessee Chattanooga
Furman
Georgia Southern

~SWAC~
Alabama A&M
Alabama State

~SEC~
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

~Sun Belt~
Arkansas State
Troy State
South Florida

~Big 12~
Kansas

~ACC~
Georgia Tech
Florida State
Duke
Clemson

Fordham
May 25th, 2006, 02:33 PM
PL
Colgate-Home, sweet home. Although it's a little too big, especially on the visitor's side.
Lehigh-Nicest PL stadium I've been to, but the parking lot could stand to be a bit closer. Good atmosphere to go along with the surroundings.
Lafayette-Well, the stadium as it was is, well, a dump. Couldn't say much for the crowd either, but overall the stands an amenities were lacking.
Holy Cross-Concessions stands were a little difficult to find, and the stadium was a bit too big for their current needs.

Ivy
Dartmouth-It was nice. Nothing too bad, nothing special about it. Just nice.
Cornell-A larger version of Andy Kerr, really. Seemed slightly too big for them as well, but overall not too bad. Crowd was decent both times in terms of noise and atmosphere.
Princeton-The crowd was kinda dead both times (although one was a 30-3 Colgate blowout, and the other in a monsoon), and the stadium (again) seemed too big. But oh man what a stadium. Probably the best I-AA I've seen.
Yale-The Bowl, while impressive at first sight, is slightly less so when you notice it's falling apart. Luckly, they are renovating it, but I can't say when I'll be able to make a trip back there anytime soon.

Other
UMass-Atmosphere was good, stadium was full. However it should be noted that it was the largest crowd they had seen since the 1970s, so I'm guessing the lights and night game had something to do with it. So please tell me the schedule is wrong saying this year's game is at 1 pm.
UTC-Well, it wasn't for a Chattanooga game, but the stadium itself was nice, looked very professional.
Valley - are we going to see you in the Bronx this year?

TheValleyRaider
May 25th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Valley - are we going to see you in the Bronx this year?

Unfortunately not :(

My schedule is still tied to the band, and from what I've heard we're not making the trip down to Fordham, but doing Bucknell later in the season instead. I'd lobby for Fordham, but I have little or no say at this point over where we go. Plus, there may be home hockey that weekend, which further diminishes the desire of people to travel for football.

65 Pard
May 25th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Lehigh's old Taylor Stadium, where 20,000 fans sounded like 100,000 when the roar bounced off the mountain....Still my favorite stadium memory even though I once had season tickets to Michigan..