PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Coulson: Back To the Future, FCS Edition (includes his bracket!)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2011, 01:19 AM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/105-back-to-the-future-fcs-edition

This time of the year there are a lot of people who suddenly think of themselves as Football Championship Subdivision prognosticators.

Everyone wants to pick the 20 teams that will be in the field and take their turn at making a dream bracket. It's like playing Fantasy Football.

But viewing the work of the NCAA Division I Football Committee is a bit like reading Supreme Court precedents. If you want to know what the committee will do this year, look at what it has done in the past.

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Towson beats Lehigh, then goes to Montana and wins, then beats Montana State to get to Frisco where they beat GSU? Bold prediction.

Green26
November 20th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Good article by Coulson, and that's how I see things shaping up too.

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Glad to see Coulson slot SHSU at No. 1, but of course - he throws in that remark about JMU the likely upset winner over SHSU... can't win them all!

tractorapp
November 20th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Glad to see Coulson slot SHSU at No. 1, but of course - he throws in that remark about JMU the likely upset winner over SHSU... can't win them all!

Yup, great thing about FCS is, get into the field, and then you get the chance to prove the experts wrong. Bowl system really is messed up.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2011, 08:17 AM
He has Towson beating Lehigh?

LUHawker
November 20th, 2011, 08:38 AM
He has Towson beating Lehigh?

He also has Towson hosting Lehigh? Towson has a good chance of getting a seeding, but if they don't and this is, in fact, the match-up, then Towson will be going to Lehigh. Towson has no history of being in the playoffs nor of much fan support. LU was also in the playoffs last year on the road and while that isn't supposed to play into the thinking, I think it does work to Lehigh's favor. I see the Tigers coming to Bethelehem.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Coaches and ADs I've talked are ALL hoping to get a chance at the Bearkats. That is just a fact. SHSU has to go out and prove itself. Reminds me of when Tennessee State was ranked No. 1 after an undefeated season in 1998. The Tigers lost in the first round to No. 16 North Carolina A&T.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Good article by Coulson, and that's how I see things shaping up too.

I think the committee would love to have Brawl of the Wild II at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Can you imagine how crazy that would be?

SideLine Shooter
November 20th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I think the committee would love to have Brawl of the Wild II at Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Can you imagine how crazy that would be?

I might pay to see that.

Saint3333
November 20th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I think this bracket is better than the actual one. GSU should have been the #2 seed.

theasushow
November 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Damn i'm excited.

RichH2
November 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Towson ,Nat'l Champ. Interesting but Lehigh will beat them .

veinup
November 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM

that would be insane.

Cleets
November 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM

It only holds 26 thousand people - what would they do with the other 20 thousand people from Bozeman who would want to go..!!!
That's a game (this year) that would literally get 50K attendance in Missoula

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Sell tickets for people to watch on those hillsides behind the stadium.

Squealofthepig
November 20th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Sell tickets for people to watch on those hillsides behind the stadium.

It's a very obscured view from both Mount Jumbo and Mount Sentinel. Heading up Sentinel (the one with the M), the stadium gets hidden from view by the northwest ridge, and from Jumbo (the one with the L) the North End zone and east-side seating block out your view of the field.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I was joking about that, but it would make the atmosphere more fun. Do you have time to bring in portable seating?

grizband
November 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Almost happened in 2002...but all of us here hoped for a chance at a UM/MSU title game.

grizband
November 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I was joking about that, but it would make the atmosphere more fun. Do you have time to bring in portable seating?

Time yes, but not much room for additional seats in the stadium....they should just sell tickets to watch it on the big screen in the Adams Center.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Chuck Burton: picked the five seeded teams, picked Wofford at No. 5 UNI, 2/4 first round games, 2/4 second round games (just switching Maine and UNH)

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/103-chucks-final-playoff-predictions

Dave Coulson: picked 2/4 first round games (including Albany at Stony Brook), correctly picked SHSU as No. 1 overall seed, 2/4 second round games (just switching Maine and UNH)

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/105-back-to-the-future-fcs-edition

Nobody, and I mean nobody, did as good a job picking the brackets this year as CSJ. (And if they did better, they're lying, because EKU wasn't in anyone's bracket!) xthumbsupx

UIWWildthing
November 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM
This one line made me :D
"I am going to go out on a limb and predict the Towson Tigers as the surprise national champion in a wild and entertaining championship game with the Georgia Southern Eagles as two great ground teams do battle."