PDA

View Full Version : Fordham's Masella FIRED!!

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2011, 12:00 AM
The Yams go 1-10 with a scholarship team, with their only win over Columbia. He was in his sixth year... FU has had flakey coaches ever since Clawson left.

http://m.sportsnetwork.com/foot/cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4451656

LehighU11
November 20th, 2011, 12:01 AM
The Yams go 1-10 with a scholarship team, with their only win over Columbia. He was in his sixth year... FU has had flakey coaches ever since Clawson left.

http://m.sportsnetwork.com/foot/cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4451656

Maybe Frank should be next...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I'm extremely interested to see what type of attention this job gets.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM
The writing had to be on the wall after the Army game, if nothing else.

Cleets
November 20th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I'm extremely interested to see what type of attention this job gets.

+1

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 01:40 AM
WOW. I'm shocked. I was told when I was there this season that he was safe. I feel for him just like I do for Kevin Morris of UMass. Someone is going to inherit some great athletes at Fordham.

hawkineer
November 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM
WOW. I'm shocked. I was told when I was there this season that he was safe. I feel for him just like I do for Kevin Morris of UMass. Someone is going to inherit some great athletes at Fordham.A little confusing? If he had some great athletes to work with and ended up 1-10, he should be fired. It had to be coaching. Personally, I did not see FU as having any better athletes than anyone else in the league. Therefore, he should be fired for not recruiting better with schollies.

Fordham
November 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
It was the right move but too bad IMO as he is a great and classy guy who brought in some really quality student-athletes. I really wish him well and hope we make a strong hire.

Fordham
November 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
A little confusing? If he had some great athletes to work with and ended up 1-10, he should be fired. It had to be coaching. Personally, I did not see FU as having any better athletes than anyone else in the league. Therefore, he should be fired for not recruiting better with schollies.

Understood on the confusion. I agree with Mr. C though. I really dont't know how our frosh and sophs line up v Lehigh's and Colgate's, however I do know that they were clearly the better athletes on the Fordham team. It does go back to what I've said all along with regard to schollies - they'll allow you to recruit better overall athletes than you can without them but they're not the radical game-changer some on here expected.

Brad82
November 20th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Wow!
Masella has a lot of admirers.
Some wanted him for the Rhody job in past.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The writing had to be on the wall after the Army game, if nothing else.

I don't think so... FBS team, snowstorm, unable to pass, bus breaks down... if anything, it was on the wall after the Lafayette game when their entire program seemingly overlooked us and was run over.

Wildcat80
November 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
About time. After getting schollies he was embarrassed every week.

carney2
November 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I'm sure that his family loves him, but he earned it.

The big surprise is that a Patriot League school - any Patriot League school - actually pulled the trigger.

RichH2
November 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Sad for massella, a nice guy but 2 schollie classes and his team got worse.Partly injuries ,partly youth but dashed expectations are lethal for any coach.

Bogus Megapardus
November 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Maybe Frank should be next...

Frank will stay. He knows what he's doing. His assistants? That's another story.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Rumor has it that JoltinJoe is interested......;)

JoltinJoe
November 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Rumor has it that JoltinJoe is interested......;)

Crushed to see Masella let go. This guy did everything the right way, except on the scoreboard.

Still, I thought he might still survive, given the number of injuries this year and the overall academic profile of the team. In the end, though, these things didn't give him enough cover.

ngineer
November 20th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Sad for massella, a nice guy but 2 schollie classes and his team got worse.Partly injuries ,partly youth but dashed expectations are lethal for any coach.
Expectations can be created by the coaches. So if he stuck his neck out there touting how 'quickly' they'd improve, he was setting himself up for this. Sorry to see it happen, as I have heard many have a lot of respect for him. I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I interviewed Masella before the season, and he made no bones about his brutal schedule. I feel bad for him. Scholarships were seen as the be-all and end-all to competitiveness, but all it seemed to do is create unrealistic expectations. Masella couldn't seem to temper the expectations, but it's not like he went out there and was banging his chest pumping up those expectations either.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM
I interviewed Masella before the season, and he made no bones about his brutal schedule. I feel bad for him. Scholarships were seen as the be-all and end-all to competitiveness, but all it seemed to do is create unrealistic expectations. Masella couldn't seem to temper the expectations, but it's not like he went out there and was banging his chest pumping up those expectations either.

What are the expectations? Since the Rams joined the PL they've had a grand total of 4 winning season.