PDA

View Full Version : Updated TSN projections

danefan
November 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Interesting to see #2 and #3 from the MVC. I would be surprised to see 2 of the top 3 seeds from the same conference. I doubt that has happened very much.

MTfan4life
November 19th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Interesting to see #2 and #3 from the MVC. I would be surprised to see 2 of the top 3 seeds from the same conference. I doubt that has happened very much.

They did it last season with the CAA.

Seawolf97
November 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I will be watching as will many other fans. Interesting matchup with Central Arkansas.

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I would like this with the possibility of App coming to The Dome. I don't see us getting the 3 seed over GSU, though. I actually have a tough time seeing us get a seed, but we will just have to see.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I have seen a number of predictions and this is the only 1 I have seen that have NDSU and UNI in the top 4 seeds. That is basically saying the MVC is the strongest conference this year. I believe it has had a strong year but the SoCon is ranked as the #1 conference in the GPI. I think the committee has 6 teams to fit into 5 seeds (GSU, NDSU, UNI, Montana, Towson and Sam Houston). Some interesting questions for committee to consider: 1. Does a bad loss to a lesser FCS team hurt a team's seeding? 2. Does a FBS win help a team's seed (no matter how bad the FBS team is). 3. Does conference strength or the lack thereof figure into a team's seeding? 4. Do quality wins have a big impact in addition to just total wins?

We will see.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I think they'll try and pair the seeds by region. If GSU could get screwed by this.

That loss to Furman really hurts ASU as we'll likely see either Towson or ODU in the first round.

CropDuster
November 19th, 2011, 09:08 PM
GSU at #4 and a potential semifinal rematch with Wofford or a trip to SHSU if they make it. xchinscratchx

BlueHenSinfonian
November 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Towson deserves a seed over UNI in my opinion.

El Griz
November 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Montana unranked. After watching that team the last 6 weeks they are by far a top 3 team.

md64179
November 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I think asu gets odu in the second round. IMO, no way Towson(the caa champ) plays on the road.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Towson deserves a seed over UNI in my opinion.

The committee will likely disagree, they tend to seed teams with a "good" loss over a team with a "bad" loss. Right or wrong the MVC is the better conference and will likely get two seeds to the CAA's none. You guys didn't seem to mind it the last few years.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I think asu gets odu in the second round. IMO, no way Towson(the caa champ) plays on the road.

You never know, the NCAA would like to collect as much revenue as possible and ODU at home helps their cause.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
The committee will likely disagree, they tend to seed teams with a "good" loss over a team with a "bad" loss. Right or wrong the MVC is the better conference and will likely get two seeds to the CAA's none. You guys didn't seem to mind it the last few years.

The CAA, Big Sky, MVC, and SoCon champs should be automatic seeds unless there is something ridiculous in that team's record. Towson only has losses to FBS Maryland and a Delaware team that waited one week too long to finally put the pieces together for a strong playoff run.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2011, 09:27 PM
The CAA, Big Sky, MVC, and SoCon champs should be automatic seeds unless there is something ridiculous in that team's record. Towson only has losses to FBS Maryland and a Delaware team that waited one week too long to finally put the pieces together for a strong playoff run.

I agree, but history shows that isn't the case.

frozennorth
November 19th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Ndsu, uni, um, msu, towson, gsu, shsu and possibly even maine (they're 9-2, right?) all have legitimate reasons to expect a seed. I think towson will get one of the top 2 though.

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Explained why this is better than anyone else's 2 losses....

CropDuster
November 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM

Because they won their conference and UNI didn't? xrotatehx

Saint3333
November 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM
UNI's one point loss @ Iowa St. and a loss @ #1 NDSU at the time get back to my point about the committee rewarding "good" losses.

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM

UNI may not get the auto bid, but they are still considered MVFC Champs this year.

When all is said and done I don't think we will get a seed. I do think we have an argument to deserve one, but I don't think we get one. I actually prefer it that way. Heck, the only time we visited the 'Ship we were unseeded, and went through both #1 and #4 at their house. So bring it on!

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Last year only 3 conf got seeds....

Eaglegus2
November 19th, 2011, 09:41 PM
It would the right seed for SHSU to get the #1 seed after going undefeated. The next is a tossup with Towson, NDSU & GSU - you can drop their names in a hat and draw them out. UNI gets the last seed.
Just my opinion.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM

UNI is close, a FBS loss and the loss to NDSU isn't so bad either, but that loss to NDSU effectively puts UNI in the second place position in the MVC even if both teams technically share the title. For the tiebreaker I'd go to quality of wins, with Towson's victories over Maine and UNH trumping UNI's OT win vs. Illinois State. The CAA is deeper than the MVC as well, so coming out of the CAA with a 9-2 record should be worth more than coming out of the MVC with a 9-2 record.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 09:42 PM
The SoCon is the #1 ranked conference in every ranking I have seen, so doesn't it make sense that the champion of the #1 conference gets a very high seed?

frozennorth
November 19th, 2011, 09:47 PM
The SoCon is the #1 ranked conference in every ranking I have seen, so doesn't it make sense that the champion of the #1 conference gets a very high seed?
Mvfc is rated higher in sagarin. Not sure if I've seen the socon rated higher anywhere.

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2011, 09:48 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc11.htm?loc=interstitialskip

You will find this interesting....

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM
UNI is close, a FBS loss and the loss to NDSU isn't so bad either, but that loss to NDSU effectively puts UNI in the second place position in the MVC even if both teams technically share the title. For the tiebreaker I'd go to quality of wins, with Towson's victories over Maine and UNH trumping UNI's OT win vs. Illinois State. The CAA is deeper than the MVC as well, so coming out of the CAA with a 9-2 record should be worth more than coming out of the MVC with a 9-2 record.

What do you mean about the CAA???

Cleets
November 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I understand the value of a projected ranking report... (for sure)
But I'm not sure I understand the value of a projected Bracket

xchinscratchx other than to stir up emotions

mainejeff
November 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM
So no home playoff games for anyone in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast (Maine, UNH, Albany, Stony Brook, Lehigh, Towson)......even in the 1st round when NO ONE draws well??? Gimme a freakin' break! This isn't college baseball.......

UNIFanSince1983
November 19th, 2011, 09:53 PM
What do you mean about the CAA???

You will learn that when a bottom team beats a playoff contender in the CAA or the SoCon it shows the 'strength' and 'depth' of the conference. When the same thing happens in the MVFC it shows how weak we are. This goes back to the fact that we don't have teams going to the NC every year.

ODUsmitty
November 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I'd take this bracket very happily. Bye, and home v. Wofford, with the winner against the weakest of the seeds. Bring it on!

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
SoCon is #1 conference in GPI. In most computer rankings (check out Massey) if you do the math and look at where each school is ranked in the MVC and the SoCon, the SoCon is ahead of the MVC.

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM
So do you have UNI as a seed, the GPI says they are #3....seems like you like the GPI

Massey has UNI #2 and MVC #1

TwoFeathers
November 19th, 2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Wow, I think Towson can beat App in Boone... But why isn't the game at Towson? CAA champs with a 9-2 record, 1 loss in the CAA, versus App 8-3, with 2 losses in the Socon?

TwoFeathers
November 19th, 2011, 11:26 PM
JMU playing at Georgia Southern in the second round would be a great game to see.

asucrutch23
November 19th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Wow, I think Towson can beat App in Boone... But why isn't the game at Towson? CAA champs with a 9-2 record, 1 loss in the CAA, versus App 8-3, with 2 losses in the Socon?

http://fcsnowfootball.wordpress.com/2011/11/09/fcs-playoff-faq/

"2. How are the FCS playoff teams paired up? / How do they determine the home teams? / Who gets a first-round bye?

Once the 20 playoff teams are selected, they are ranked 1-20 by the committee. The top five teams receive 1-5 seeds. The top four seeds will play an opponent from the first-round “play-in” games. (An example of the bracket is here: http://fcsnow.com/Documents/2010%20bracket%20final.pdf ). The seven teams ranked 6-12 are also given first-round byes and paired up, along with the No. 5 seed, according to geographic proximity. The eight teams ranked 13-20 are placed in the first round “play-in games” and are also paired up according to geographic proximity.

Once the pairings are made, then locations of the games are determined based on a financial bidding process. In order to host the game, the top five seeded teams must submit a financial guarantee to the NCAA of $30,000 for first- and second-round games, $40,000 for quarterfinal games, and $50,000 for semifinal games. If the seeded team meets the minimum guarantee, it will host. On the other hand, in games where both teams are not seeded, the schools must both submit bids meeting the minimum financial guarantee, and the committee must then consider the following in choosing the host institution:

a. quality of facility;

b. revenue potential plus estimated net receipts;

c. attendance history and potential;

d. team’s performance (e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I opponents); and

e. student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time).

Based on those criteria, the committee chooses the home teams for the non-seeded games."