PDA

View Full Version : America East football

danefan
November 19th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hey guess what?

All four America East schools that have football will be in the playoffs this year. xthumbsupx

Maybe it will light a fire under someone's butt to get the AEast to add football?

BlueHenSinfonian
November 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I'd rather see Maine and UNH become full CAA members and bring Albany and Stony Brook along with them. The A-East could then dissolve and the rest of the schools could fall in with the NEC.

Seawolf97
November 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I'd rather see Maine and UNH become full CAA members and bring Albany and Stony Brook along with them. The A-East could then dissolve and the rest of the schools could fall in with the NEC.

That is another possibility that SBU and Albany would grab.

R3TRO
November 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
If UNH continues to upgrade their basketball program, I would like to see that too. Become a full CAA member.

mainejeff
November 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM

AMEN!!!! Is a Delaware fan actually suggesting this?.......holy cripes!

BlueHenSinfonian
November 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM

I don't see any reason any UD fans would be against the move, it's the non-football schools that would be the hurdle.

Delaware has the benefit of being right in the middle of the CAA geographical footprint - add southern schools or northern schools and it doesn't really matter. As far as revenue sports go UD men's basketball has been in a tailspin since Mike Brey jumped ship to Notre Dame, and none of the potential new CAA members would be a threat to UD women's basketball more than ODU already is.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 18th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Boy does this thread seem a lot more interesting now.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 07:08 AM

I'd rather see the AE take over the Yankee football conference administration duties from the CAA and invite Albany and Stony Brook to the football conference as well as leave an open invitation to any AE school that wants to start a full scholarship program (Bing, Vermont, etc.).

What do you think about that? It would really make Delaware look stupid for leaving in the first place and making the CAA do what it wanted, wouldn't it?

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 07:09 AM
If UNH continues to upgrade their basketball program, I would like to see that too. Become a full CAA member.

CAA bball isn't any better than AE bball now. Only one trip to the prize apiece.

Might as well stay than join "Delaware's conference". You just got rid of BU, is that what you want to go back to?

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 07:11 AM

It's not difficult travel for Delaware. Heck, they used to be in the AE - but we all know that story. Blackmailed the CAA into taking over admin duties of the Yankee football conference from the A10 so they could make it seem like they were in the CAA for all sports, yada yada yada...

But fact is, CAA is moving south. Traveling to Maine and UNH ain't gonna rank too high up with the new southern schools' agendas.

NHwildEcat
June 19th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I'd rather see the AE take over the Yankee football conference administration duties from the CAA and invite Albany and Stony Brook to the football conference as well as leave an open invitation to any AE school that wants to start a full scholarship program (Bing, Vermont, etc.).

What do you think about that? It would really make Delaware look stupid for leaving in the first place and making the CAA do what it wanted, wouldn't it?

All you want is for Delaware to look stupid...your ramblings of late show quite the obessesion with the Blue Hen's. What you suggest here won't happen and makes little to no sense.

NHwildEcat
June 19th, 2012, 07:28 AM

I think we differ on what is perceived to be an upgrade...

NHwildEcat
June 19th, 2012, 07:29 AM

I am a big fan of this...

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 08:06 AM
All you want is for Delaware to look stupid...your ramblings of late show quite the obessesion with the Blue Hen's. What you suggest here won't happen and makes little to no sense.

Yes, I want them to look stupid. They deserve it.

Plus it's entirely realistic that the CAA could opt to add southern bball schools only. But unless they do add Stony Brook, it makes zero sense for them to add the two northern most schools they could add. You'll never get enough votes, too far to travel.

aceinthehole
June 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Didn't the AE have 4 playoff teams last season? BU leaving did not increase the odds of the AE sponsoring or taking over football. We all know that America East does not have the inertia or leadership required to sponsor football. It is a nice idea, but I think most people realize it is a pipe dream right now.

Mason, UNCW, Drexel, Hofstra, NU, etc. do not want Maine and UNH on the hoops side - it's a non-starter. SBU and Albany have much better chances at an all-sports invite.

NHwildEcat
June 19th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Yes, I want them to look stupid. They deserve it.

Plus it's entirely realistic that the CAA could opt to add southern bball schools only. But unless they do add Stony Brook, it makes zero sense for them to add the two northern most schools they could add. You'll never get enough votes, too far to travel.

Travel isn't what you make it...sure, Maine is far. It is far for anyone. But the CAA already has Northeastern and UNH is not that much further north. The perception is always greater than the reality though, no doubt.

danefan
June 19th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I am a big fan of this...

Me too.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Didn't the AE have 4 playoff teams last season? BU leaving did not increase the odds of the AE sponsoring or taking over football. We all know that America East does not have the inertia or leadership required to sponsor football. It is a nice idea, but I think most people realize it is a pipe dream right now.

I'm less sure of this.

But what I will say is that both of the possibilities bandied about in this thread are in play. The AE could take their core four and additionally peel off, say, CCSU, Bryant, and URI, and start an FCS football conference - and as a result stabilize the league. Or, the CAA could grab the "AE four" and give them invites in all sports, thus blowing apart the AE.

Both have logistical hurdles to overcome, but these are real possibilities IMO.

I don't feel like the AE taking over CAA Football is a realistic option at this time, so I didn't include that.

NHwildEcat
June 19th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I'm less sure of this.

But what I will say is that both of the possibilities bandied about in this thread are in play. The AE could take their core four and additionally peel off, say, CCSU, Bryant, and URI, and start an FCS football conference - and as a result stabilize the league. Or, the CAA could grab the "AE four" and give them invites in all sports, thus blowing apart the AE.

I don't feel like the AE taking over CAA Football is a realistic option at this time, so I didn't include that.

I think the question is if the CAA sees essentially destroying the AE as a worthwhile venture...even if they are not crazy about all 4 of those schools, it would mean one less conference on the east coast...is that something they would see as positive for their future? Or is it simply not that important to them?

aceinthehole
June 19th, 2012, 10:00 AM
The AE could take their core four and additionally peel off, say, CCSU, Bryant, and URI, and start an FCS football conference - and as a result stabilize the league.

Or, the CAA could grab the "AE four" and give them invites in all sports, thus blowing apart the AE.

I politely disagree.

1) As a fan, I would be very, very happy if the AE brought in CCSU and others to begin a full-scholarship Northeast-based football league. But I have not seen any shred of evidence that is what UNH and Maine want. They like the CAA Football for as long as UD, Towson, W&M, and JMU are members.

I think UNH and Maine would absolutely prefer that both SBU and UA are brought into CAA Football, but remain in the AE for all sports.

2) Again, as a fan, I wouldn't mind CCSU being in a basketball league with Maine and UNH, but you have to be kidding if you think that Mason, UNCW, or even Drexel, Hofstra, and Northeastern want to regulary play UNH and Maine in hoops. The quality of their hoops programs and additional travel for most of the existing CAA members make this a longshot at best.

Sure maybe UD fans (and their AD) wouldn't mind if they joined - it would be easy wins in hoops - but I just don't think that's what the CAA and NBC Sports have in mind for basketball.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Mason, UNCW, Drexel, Hofstra, NU, etc. do not want Maine and UNH on the hoops side - it's a non-starter. SBU and Albany have much better chances at an all-sports invite.

SBU and Albany are already members of a one-bid bball conference. That conference would have four playoff schools as members of the Yankee football conference if SBU and Albany were extended invites.

So why leave for the CAA if the AE could just take the football admin duties over and they'd have the exact same thing? Not only that, but then you're risking being in a Virginia/NC bball conference.

Don't make the same mistake Delaware made.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I politely disagree.

1) As a fan, I would be very, very happy if the AE brought in CCSU and others to begin a full-scholarship Northeast-based football league. But I have not seen any shred of evidence that is what UNH and Maine want. They like the CAA Football for as long as UD, Towson, W&M, and JMU are members.

I think UNH and Maine would absolutely prefer that both SBU and UA are brought into CAA Football, but remain in the AE for all sports.

2) Again, as a fan, I wouldn't mind CCSU being in a basketball league with Maine and UNH, but you have to be kidding if you think that Mason, UNCW, or even Drexel, Hofstra, and Northeastern want to regulary play UNH and Maine in hoops. The quality of their hoops programs and additional travel for most of the existing CAA members make this a longshot at best.

Sure maybe UD fans (and their AD) wouldn't mind if they joined - it would be easy wins in hoops - but I just don't think that's what the CAA and NBC Sports have in mind for basketball.

So for your 1 point, why not bring SBU and Albany into the Yankee football conference and then just switch admin duties to the AE? They'd have at least the most members, tied with the CAA until JMU leaves for FBS.

Your 2 point is exactly correct. UNH and Maine to the CAA bball conference is not on table.

aceinthehole
June 19th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mpls - isn't it ice fishing season or something where you are from?

You have no idea of the dynamics of the New England/Mid-Atlantic schools.

And for the last time, the Yankee Conference doesn't exist and the AE can't just take over the CAA Football because you say so - please give it a rest ... you're clueless.

GannonFan
June 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Don't make the same mistake Delaware made.

Wait a minute - I thought this thread was about AEast football - why are you bringing up the hiring of David Henderson? xlolx

whitey
June 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Mpls' trolling of Delaware in this thread is hysterical.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Mpls - isn't it ice fishing season or something where you are from?

You have no idea of the dynamics of the New England/Mid-Atlantic schools.

And for the last time, the Yankee Conference doesn't exist and the AE can't just take over the CAA Football because you say so - please give it a rest ... you're clueless.

No one said anything about a take over.

CAA only accepted the Yankee Conference admin duties from the A10 because Delaware made them, or else they wouldn't join the bball conference.

CAA is taking a new direction as a mid-atlantic bball conference, per the requirements in their TV deal. FCS football need not apply. So CAA dumps those responsibilities off and the AE scoops them up, and the cherry on the top is smearing it right in Delaware's faces getting back at them for blackmail. What goes around comes around.

The TV deal was designed to put VCU and ODU basketball on television. So the CAA has to try to make up for that the best they can. Adding members to the basketball conference that strengthen to football conference does nothing for that.

GannonFan
June 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
No one said anything about a take over.

CAA only accepted the Yankee Conference admin duties from the A10 because Delaware made them, or else they wouldn't join the bball conference.

CAA is taking a new direction as a mid-atlantic bball conference, per the requirements in their TV deal. FCS football need not apply. So CAA dumps those responsibilities off and the AE scoops them up, and the cherry on the top is smearing it right in Delaware's faces getting back at them for blackmail. What goes around comes around.

The TV deal was designed to put VCU and ODU basketball on television. So the CAA has to try to make up for that the best they can. Adding members to the basketball conference that strengthen to football conference does nothing for that.

Now if only part of the deal included the Eagles being forced to install Field Turf in the Linc, and to take on nova as a tennant, then we would have the perfect storm of mpl's delusional fantasies. Watch your back, Jeff Lurie, mpls is coming. :)

MplsBison
June 19th, 2012, 12:17 PM
My desire for fieldturf at the Linc has nothing to do with Nova.