PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations SoCon!

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I must admit I previously believed the SoCon was not up to par, but todays play against the SEC has me worried about future matchups

Fantastic job, and way to represent the FCS!

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
It really is amazing how close the conference is

AppStateold299
November 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
The final scores don't tell the whole picture. All three teams held tough until late in the game. I was impressed by all three of the teams going up against the tough SEC. Way to represent the SoCon! Even though there wasn't an upset, all three teams should be proud of their effort and outcome. It was an amazing day for the SoCon.

bojeta
November 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM
YES! SoCon did themselves and all of FCS proud today!! Fantastic performances from all four teams playing FBS opponents!!

GSU_Alum08
November 19th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I about crapped my pants when I saw Furman was up on florida. I would have LOVED to have seen them pull that out.

SpeedkingATL
November 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Nice effort SoCon brothers, especially Furple and GSU.

Block-A
November 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Nice effort SoCon brothers, especially Furple and GSU.

Samford put a good scare on Auburn, too.

Eaglesrus
November 19th, 2011, 07:55 PM
The final scores don't tell the whole picture. All three teams held tough until late in the game. I was impressed by all three of the teams going up against the tough SEC. Way to represent the SoCon! Even though there wasn't an upset, all three teams should be proud of their effort and outcome. It was an amazing day for the SoCon.

Actually there were 4 and I think all 4 acquitted themselves well. Was in a sports bar where we could see all four games and it was amazing to watch.

danefan
November 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Great job SoCon.

Represented FCS well today.

Tod
November 19th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I must admit I previously believed the SoCon was not up to par, but todays play against the SEC has me worried about future matchups

Fantastic job, and way to represent the FCS!

Nice, SG! I thought about starting this thread myself. Mentioned it in another. The SoCon really, really did a helluva job today vs. the SEC. xbowxxbowxxbowx

matfu
November 19th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Furman was only down to Florida 37-32 going into 4th-lost 54-32. Fu was up 15-0 and 22-7.

Ga Southern lost to Alabama 45-21, down 24-14 at half.

Citadel lost to South Carolina 41-20, down 20-13 at half.

Samford lost to Auburn 35-16, not down by much at half.

Yep the Southern Conference did well.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2011, 09:16 PM
There aren't moral victories. Still, for your conference to send four teams on the road to play at four of arguably the toughest venues in college sports, and to have them not only take a punch, but punch right back, makes one proud.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeQrPWRN7YE&feature=player_embedded

Blue Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM
WOW!!! What a job the SoCon did today.

The announcers for the Ga. Southern/Alabama game were so impressed with the SoCon they called it the "SEC" of the FCS. That was the highest compliment they could pay any FCS conference.

I think not only the 4 teams that played the SEC but all the teams in the SoCon deserve a lot of credit for the way the SoCon played today!

The conference was very competitive which prepared the teams playing the SEC well.

Hats off to every SoCon team!!

Mountaineer#96
November 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Moral victories....oh my, where is Chattownmocs when we need him?

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Moral victories....oh my, where is Chattownmocs when we need him?

LOL, yeah I hate moral victories. I HATE losing too but we actually looked pretty good against Alabama unlike when we played App, we looked bad against app.

Saban looked pissed watching us steamroll his defense down the field.

appfan2008
November 19th, 2011, 10:28 PM
way to go socon and represent against some stiff comp... unlike app earlier this year...

Hammerhead
November 19th, 2011, 11:01 PM
xdontknowx Maybe the SEC just isn't that good. xdontknowx

Blue Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Moral victories? I don't like moral victories either!

But I don't remember anyone mentioning moral victories.

Unless you call congratulating teams for playing well a moral victory.

AppStateold299
November 20th, 2011, 09:01 AM
GSU put up more points on Alabama than any other team this year. Way to go to all the SoCon teams.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
There aren't moral victories. Still, for your conference to send four teams on the road to play at four of arguably the toughest venues in college sports, and to have them not only take a punch, but punch right back, makes one proud.

Not all losses are created equal, no matter what anyone says. Especially FBS losses. The SoCon had far and away the toughest FBS schedule of any FCS conference and while we didn't get any wins like the BSC, MVC, and CAA, we put on the best performance overall.

Is there any other conference in the FCS where the fourth place team can go in and light up Florida in the swamp the way Furman did? I don't think so, and apparant there are very few teams in all of college football that can put 300+ yards on Alabama.

Gaterrier
November 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
The SoCon didn't play anyone from the Sun Belt or some other conference. App, GSU, Wofford, Furman, Samford and the Citadel all went up against the SEC and ACC - and not the bottom of these conferences, the TOP (USC, Florida, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, etc). I dare say that the big 3 (ok Furman, you can play again, the BIG 4) would have beaten a lower-level school from one of those conferences. And they all played them very respectfully.

Of course, Clemson turned out to be another paper "tiger," but Wofford owned them (read: led the entire game) until about 6 minutes to go and was in it until the end.

Taking crap from a NDSU poster about GSU not coming out there to play is ridiculous. As a Clemson fan texted me during the Clemson/Wofford game "Do we still have to pay y'all $450 large if you beat us?"

Hell, South Carolina/Spurrier doesn't even want to play Wofford any more after we have almost beaten them on two previous occasions.

My answer...YES. App cashed a check when they beat UM, and Furman cashed one when they beat Wake in the past. Citadel beat Arkansas in the early 90s and took it to the bank.

GO SOCON!

apaladin
November 20th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I think all 4 teams played well and put to rest the "rest the starters non-sense". and the "we don't won't to get anyone hurt" crap. If you watch the FU/UF game Florida had several players laid out on the field and limping off, being helped to the sidelines and the refs were having to stop the clock for injuries. I did not see one Paladin with as much as a hangnail. We had the ball down 8 with thirteen mins left when we threw the first pick 6. After that we drove the field again and threw another pick 6 with 4 mins left. Florida never really stopped FU, they stopped themselves. Just hate giving them away like that after playing so well. Florida was averaging giving up 305 yds a game and FU put up 446.

Good to see GSU put up the most points on Alabama and over 300 yds rushing on them!

Samford was within one point of AU late in the 3rd. I'm glad there QB is a senior,

Kudos to the Citadel for hanging tough too.

One other note: Furman senior All-American LB, Kadarron Anderson, the leading tackler in the SoCon did not play the last game of his career. This was the first game he has missed at FU. Hopefully he will get a chance at the next level.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Furman was only down to Florida 37-32 going into 4th-lost 54-32. Fu was up 15-0 and 22-7.

Ga Southern lost to Alabama 45-21, down 24-14 at half.

Samford lost to Auburn 35-16, not down by much at half.

Yep the Southern Conference did well.

Furman could have easily had another TD early on the play where Florida took a safety. It could have been 26-7 in the first period.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Not all losses are created equal, no matter what anyone says. Especially FBS losses. The SoCon had far and away the toughest FBS schedule of any FCS conference and while we didn't get any wins like the BSC, MVC, and CAA, we put on the best performance overall.

Is there any other conference in the FCS where the fourth place team can go in and light up Florida in the swamp the way Furman did? I don't think so, and apparent there are very few teams in all of college football that can put 300+ yards on Alabama.

Obviously, playing Alabama tough and scoring MORE points than any BCS team, including No. 1 LSU, had on the Crimson Tide is more impressive than beating teams like New Mexico, or Western Kentucky. The SoCon represented FCS extremely well on Saturday. It would have been so cool for Furman to thump Florida to earn a spot in the playoffs.

FurmanWins!!
November 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeQrPWRN7YE

FurmanWins!!
November 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIN2yeE9yw

ashram
November 21st, 2011, 08:43 AM
xdontknowx Maybe the SEC just isn't that good. xdontknowx

Right...xrolleyesx

Maybe NDSU should try playing an SEC school sometime and find out.

Biff
November 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM

Our final should have been 34-20, but South Carolina threw on 1st and 10 for a TD with 45 seconds remaining in the 4th. (no class, but maybe I am just complaining)

FurmanWins!!
November 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Right...xrolleyesx

Maybe NDSU should try playing an SEC school sometime and find out.

Agree, SEC has won how many straight BCS titles? :)

It was a great showing by the SoCon, plain and simple!

FurmanWins!!
November 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Looking forward to the 2012 season for the Paladins, best of luck to all my SoCon brothers in the playoffs, I will be pulling for all of you guys! Cheers!

Sir William
November 21st, 2011, 08:56 AM
After this weekend, so proud to be a SoCon brother!

Best of luck to GaSo, App, and Wofford in the playoffs! Represent us well, and bring the trophy back to where it belongs!

socon11
November 21st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Our final should have been 34-20, but South Carolina threw on 1st and 10 for a TD with 45 seconds remaining in the 4th. (no class, but maybe I am just complaining)

And USC had their 1st teamers in for that pass with 45 seconds remaining! Interesting since they had already had to help at least 5 players off the field during the game. USC, like Alabama, had trouble stopping the TO. Good job SOCON!

GSUEagles#1
November 21st, 2011, 10:24 AM

There were actually 4!

Samford held with Auburn to the end
GSU held with ALA until the 4th - two big plays cost us what could have been a win!
Furman Lef Florida most of the game
Citadel held with South Carolina all day!

GSUEagles#1
November 21st, 2011, 10:25 AM
After this weekend, so proud to be a SoCon brother!

Best of luck to GaSo, App, and Wofford in the playoffs! Represent us well, and bring the trophy back to where it belongs!

I think that FU would have made the playoffs had they held on to Florida!

FurmanWins!!
November 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4spGyd7js

FurmanWins!!
November 22nd, 2011, 04:22 AM
Furman vs. Florida photo gallery (This is great, love the looks on the Gator fans):

http://Theuffp.smugmug.com/Furman/20...421613_LjgVXFk

GaSouthern
November 22nd, 2011, 05:36 AM
What a freakin awesome story it would have been for Furman to beat Florida for the playoff bid, everyone in statesboro was cheering for ya, that will probably never happen again hahaha

OL FU
November 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
everyone in statesboro was cheering for ya, that will probably never happen again hahaha

I thought I recognized a touch of Armageddon in the air.

FurmanWins!!
November 22nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tzVPRQUXA

terrierbob
November 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2tzVPRQUXA

Who is # 30? Looks like he was faster than two of the UF backs.

Eaglesrus
November 22nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
I thought I recognized a touch of Armageddon in the air.

Yeah, GSU fans were pulling for Furman twice this year but somehow the world didn't come to an end, amazing!

FurmanWins!!
November 22nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Who is # 30? Looks like he was faster than two of the UF backs.

Jerry Williams, yeah that was a cool play!

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Jerry Williams, yeah that was a cool play!

Probably the best pure tailback I've seen in the SoCon since Kevin Richardson at App State.

I tell you, this new coaching staff is something else. The new strength training program will pay dividends. Furman looks every bit as big and strong as Florida does on that film.