View Full Version : GAVE BAMA ALL THEY COULD HANDLE!!!

gasoutherneagle
November 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Most points, longest offensive run, kickoff return for TD, and most offensive yards against Alabama by ANY school all season!!!

GEORGIA SOUTHERN IS BACK!!!

1andDone
November 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
The triple option had most to do with...Alabama cant stop the option. LSU found that out, and Georgia Southern ran it better

CropDuster
November 19th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Alabamer starters played the whole game.

UIWWildthing
November 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Great effort by GSU today. First team to run up 21 on the Tide this year too

OL FU
November 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Good job, Eagles!xsmileyclapx

terrierbob
November 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
GREAT JOB GSU. xsmileyclapx

putter
November 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Congrats! Way to bring it

danefan
November 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM
SoCon repped FCS well today. Congrats

ASU_Fanatic
November 19th, 2011, 07:34 PM
You guys gave us all we could handle too, we pulled it out though.

Tod
November 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
GSU did fantastic! In fact, all of the SoCon teams that played SEC teams today did well. I swear, with another 22 schollies, the SoCon would have pulled off an upset or two. Great performance by GSU and all SoCon teams today!

BisonFan02
November 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Caught a good chunk of the GSU game on ESPN3....here's to hoping they are on the opposite side of the bracket from NDSU. Putting up 21 on Bama is something else.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Congrats GSU. That was an impressive game and I think you earned a lot of respect from the FBS and it's followers today. You already had it at this level but if you play like that throughout the playoffs I have to think you are a favorite to win it all.

GSU EAGLES
November 19th, 2011, 07:59 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=313230333

Good highlight clips. The column on the right has all of the significant plays in the game.

bisonnation
November 19th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Good showing on offense. . You guys played better than I though you would. The triple option takes a while to adjust to and it's hard to simulate in practice. But in all fairness that was their 3rd highest offensive outburst all season and LSU held them to 6 points. Hopefully you guys didn't gain any injuries

CropDuster
November 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Good showing on offense. . You guys played better than I though you would. The triple option takes a while to adjust to and it's hard to simulate in practice. But in all fairness that was their 3rd highest offensive outburst all season and LSU held them to 6 points. Hopefully you guys didn't gain any injuries

No injuries today, but we have a starting DE, S, and LB all out for the season.

PhillyApp1
November 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Great game GSU !!

I saw your rise 2 years ago. You have the athletes, and now a coach to match.

And the triple option crap is BULL. GSU can run the ball !!

xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapx

Sabin has RESPECT for GSU today!

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Especially impressive becaues Bama was trying to rack up the style points to prove that they deserve a rematch with LSU in the title game. That's the only reason why I can see them calling a timeout with 2 minutes left when they're up 17 and throwing the ball with less than a minute left with the same lead.

Just proves how horse---- FBS football is. Great job GSU in representing for the FCS.

ngineer
November 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Congrats on playing the Crimson Tide tougher than alot of "big time" schools did this year. Impressive offensive stats!

srgrizizen
November 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM
This is NOT a knock on GSU. They may well be the best in the FCS and better than many FBS teams. I completely accept the opinions of those who saw the game that GSU gave a great performance. But for the 99% percent of the country who simply saw the 45 -21 result, they're all thinking: just another FBS vs. FCS mismatch. 24 point loss = "all they could handle??" I guess you had to see it to believe it, and I didn't, darn it. Nice highlights though.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Alabama was a 46 point favorite entering this game. So yes I would say playing them to a 24 point game was good. Bama scores with 30 seconds left insted of taking a knee or it would have been a 17 point game. Yes we lost but we rushed for more yards against Bama than any team this year and scored more points on them than any team this year. So I say it was a good game for GSU.

bisonnation
November 19th, 2011, 10:58 PM
This is NOT a knock on GSU. They may well be the best in the FCS and better than many FBS teams. I completely accept the opinions of those who saw the game that GSU gave a great performance. But for the 99% percent of the country who simply saw the 45 -21 result, they're all thinking: just another FBS vs. FCS mismatch. 24 point loss = "all they could handle??" I guess you had to see it to believe it, and I didn't, darn it. Nice highlights though.

The top 5-10 FCS teams would consistently beat middle of the road FBS teams. You see it happen more and more And if an fbs team ever played a road game...

TwoFeathers
November 19th, 2011, 11:03 PM
All they could handle? The score was 45-21. I get your point, but come on. And Furman was up on Florida 22-7 in the first. How did that one end up...

Twentysix
November 19th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Didnt the TO only score 2 touchdowns though? I thought i saw in the highlights GSU ran a kick back for a TD..

TwoFeathers
November 19th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Didnt the TO only score 2 touchdowns though? I thought i saw in the highlights GSU ran a kick back for a TD..

One was an 39 yard pass play, and the other a 82 yard run, if I remember correctly. I didn't see the final TD.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yes. 1 TD was a 99 yard kickof return for a TD. Most realistic GSU fans figured we would get hammered in this one. Entering the 4th quarter it was 31-21 Alabama. We were in the game against possibly the best team in the country in the FBS (or at least 1 of the 2-3 best). Our offense moved the ball much better than most of us thought we would. Of defense we simply could not stop Alabama enough. I don't think we made them punt but maybe once or twice the whole game. Many of their fans say our offense moved the ball on them better than any team this year, including LSU.

TwoFeathers
November 19th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Yes. 1 TD was a 99 yard kickof return for a TD. Most realistic GSU fans figured we would get hammered in this one. Entering the 4th quarter it was 31-21 Alabama. We were in the game against possibly the best team in the country in the FBS (or at least 1 of the 2-3 best). Our offense moved the ball much better than most of us thought we would. Of defense we simply could not stop Alabama enough. I don't think we made them punt but maybe once or twice the whole game. Many of their fans say our offense moved the ball on them better than any team this year, including LSU.

True, they had the same problem as every other team will... The triple option is hard to defend if you don't play against it or prepare for it thoroughly. This is why I think GSU will win it all this year, at least make it to the semi's again. Especially in the playoffs, since teams won't know who they are playing with more than 1 week prep. Unless they get another SoCon team along the way.

Grizzlies82
November 19th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Congratulations to the Georgia Southern team, coaches, and fans. Great effort. While the outcome was never in doubt I'm shocked and impressed you put 21 points on them. Although a loss it has to be a great boost going into the playoffs.

Enjoy it. Then get ready to fear the Griz ;)

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM
You guys gave us all we could handle too, we pulled it out though.

um, no.

Appy freaking dominated us for 3 quarters. Alabama looked weak compared to app state

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2011, 11:53 PM

Yeah we also went for it on 4th a goal and could not convert.

Alabama also did not score all of their points with their offense but i'm not sure why it matters.

ASUG8
November 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Fine job Eagles....more than I expected for sure. xthumbsupx

inpsite1919
November 20th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Great Effort that GSU put out. Nick Saban " They are a Good Little Team"

gsu6trophies
November 20th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Interesting game to be an Eagle fan. At one point I was just happy we were keeping it close and no one had their arms ripped off and beat with them. But going into the 4th quarter I realized just how close we were to making this one real interesting. Bama made some key plays that kept it comfortable for them at the end. If Mora makes that first FG and it doesn't turn into a Bama TD, and If Southern can get into the end zone instead of turning it over on downs, then we got a shot to do something amazing. So I'm a bit conflicted. I hope that if nothing else this gives us confidence going into Athens next year. We CAN win these games. It takes a flawless and inspired effort, but it can happen.

eaglewraith
November 20th, 2011, 12:51 AM
All they could handle? The score was 45-21. I get your point, but come on. And Furman was up on Florida 22-7 in the first. How did that one end up...

When I saw Bama's OL double teaming Brent Russell and holding the hell out of him on one of their TD plays I knew they had their hands full.

Bama is good, no doubt about it. However, they are not invincible. They definitely got all they could handle and more today. Even Saban said it, they couldn't get off blocks, they weren't ready for the speed on the perimeter or the speed of how we got the ball to the line and through.

Yes the score doesn't show it, but that was a hard fought game on BOTH sides. Bama got one cheap score on the blocked FG. Everything else they had to WORK for. It was a great game, check it out on ESPN3 (available for replay now).

seantaylor
November 20th, 2011, 12:59 AM
SEC officials is a big thing here. When an FCS team plays and FBS team on their home field, they also get to use their own officials. Some of the calls and non calls today were pretty sad.

On the other hand if a team like Akron goes into Bryant-Denny, the MAC officials are calling the game. It matters.

gasoutherneagle
November 21st, 2011, 03:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqzUS12o25k

HEY-OH!!!!!!!!xbowx

gasoutherneagle
November 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw

OH, MOMMA!!!!!!!!!

tribefan40
November 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
GSU scores 21
LSU scores 9

GSU > LSU

GannonFan
November 21st, 2011, 04:35 PM
I understand GSU put up some yards and points, but the title of this thread is silly - "gave them all they could handle" - didn't Alabama win by 24 points? Heck, 'bama almost outrushed GSU and 'bama threw the ball close to 20 times. Good game, but let's keep it in perspective - Alabama was never threatened.

straightshooter
November 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM
Bama had most of their starters in the game at the end and the starting QB threw a short TD pass to their starting TE with less than a minute to go in the game. Bama could have taken a knee and run out the clock, but chose to get some beauty points for the voters in the Top 25 polls. GSU only punted twice the entire game. They moved the ball almost at will and had trips inside the red zone that resulted in no points since they were going for TD and not FG when the drives bogged down. Alabama has the fastest and best college defense in America, and GSU looked really fast against it. You can still see the game online by going to www.espn3.com and clicking on replay. Find the game and enjoy.

SideLine Shooter
November 21st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Glad I took GSU +48. Won me a load of money. Best thing GSU has ever done.

semobison
November 21st, 2011, 04:41 PM
Great Effort that GSU put out. Nick Saban " They are a Good Little Team"

Is that what Sabin said? Kind of funny, a couple of years ago Minnesota's coach called NDSU "the little guys in green"!

srgrizizen
November 21st, 2011, 04:51 PM
Alabama was a 46 point favorite entering this game. So yes I would say playing them to a 24 point game was good. Bama scores with 30 seconds left insted of taking a knee or it would have been a 17 point game. Yes we lost but we rushed for more yards against Bama than any team this year and scored more points on them than any team this year. So I say it was a good game for GSU.

No one is disputing that GSU played great. It's just the title of the thread that's a bit over the top. When ASU beat Michigan, the FCS gained tremendous respect and even FBS fans sat up and noticed. When they saw the Bama vs. GSU score, they yawned. But yes, I think you'll go very deep in the playoffs. xsalutex

GSU EAGLES
November 21st, 2011, 04:53 PM
I understand GSU put up some yards and points, but the title of this thread is silly - "gave them all they could handle" - didn't Alabama win by 24 points? Heck, 'bama almost outrushed GSU and 'bama threw the ball close to 20 times. Good game, but let's keep it in perspective - Alabama was never threatened.

It was a 10 point game with 3:00 minutes to go in the third and we were moving the ball at will on offense. Bama was in control after they went up 17, but it was not a comfortable feeling for them knowing if our offense got the ball, there was a good chance we were going to move it. Early in the 4th we drove the ball from our 20 all the way to the Bama 4 before turning it over on downs. We were so close to scoring a TD on the 4th down play. Had we converted the 4th down it would have been a 10 point game with 8:00 minutes to go. Not really a threat to win, but a fairly close game.

What Bama did do is control the ball in the 2nd half with the running game. Between us Bama running the ball, I bet we only had 4 or so possesion in the 2nd half.

gasoutherneagle
November 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM
No one is disputing that GSU played great. It's just the title of the thread that's a bit over the top. When ASU beat Michigan, the FCS gained tremendous respect and even FBS fans sat up and noticed. When they saw the Bama vs. GSU score, they yawned. But yes, I think you'll go very deep in the playoffs. xsalutex

WHAT WAS BICHIGAN RANKED AT THE END OF THAT SEASON?!?!

GaSouthern
November 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM
WHAT WAS BICHIGAN RANKED AT THE END OF THAT SEASON?!?!

I don't remember but they beat Florida in their bowl game, they were not weak, but they were not as good as the team we just played. Either way Appy won, we lost, thats all that matters.

eaglewraith
November 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM

Alabama may have never been "threatened," but they never really shut us down either. We were in that game the whole way til the 4th quarter (or was it late 3rd) when they went up by 17. Take away the 10 point swing at the beginning of the game from the blocked FG and that's a 7 point game only.

I truly believe that play made the biggest difference Saturday. As soon as the ball was snapped it looked looked ugly and for the first time this season I was pretty confident it would be blocked...just didn't expect it to shoot back 10 yards for Hightower to pick it up, dust it off, and run it back.

For as much as Bama stopped us, we also made mistakes that took us out of the game. On our last drive into the endzone, Jaybo tunneled a little bit or he would have seen he had the right side completely open at least for a first down if not a TD. That would have brought it back within 10.

From the game I watched Saturday, we played good enough to beat Bama. They just played fantastic on offense and made the plays they needed to make. We held them to a FG on their opening drive and an attempt that they missed to close out the half. They only had 1 score from >10 yards out, everything else was short yardage. They had to work for every touchdown they got.

That's what he means by we gave them all they could handle. The fact that we also blew all their defensive statistics out of the water (well except for passing) verifies that statement.

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 05:14 PM
Is that what Sabin said? Kind of funny, a couple of years ago Minnesota's coach called NDSU "the little guys in green"!

Saban is a tool. I think GSU did a great job, down by only 10 at the half, at Alabama is something most teams haven't done this year. GSU should be proud.

NDB
November 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Moral victories for everyone!

darell1976
November 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM

Is that what you guys called that NDSU-Eastern Washington game last season? Or the NDSU-YSU game this year.

eaglewraith
November 21st, 2011, 05:19 PM

Like I said before. I used it as a measuring stick for how well we're going to do in the playoffs. We will NOT be seeing a team THAT good again.

If we play like we did in that game and shore up some of the mistakes we made, then I'll be a very happy guy leaving Frisco in January.

However, that being said....we could have won that game. We just didn't make the plays we needed to and didn't have a little bit of luck on our side. If you want to call it a moral victory that's fine...my biggest hope was to not look inept out there like Georgia State did. Honestly they looked like a monkey ****ing a football against Bama last year.

straightshooter
November 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Let's not forget that GSU had multiple trips to the red zone on Alabama where they didn't get points. Could have kicked FG and added points, but chose to go for TD.

Baldy
November 22nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw

OH, MOMMA!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE how JB Bryant just sliced through the Alabama defense like they were standing still to throw those last two blocks. Those 'fast' Bamma players looked like they were wearing concrete shoes.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 22nd, 2011, 11:11 AM

You're darn right. The SoCon doesn't typically play crappy FBS teams like Minnesota, New Mexico State, UNLV,, Central Michigan, Toledo, and Maryland. No, we deal with the likes of Alabama, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Auburn, Florida, and other big names that have much better athletes and teams.

And putting more points and total yards on Bama than any other team is nothing to sneeze it even if we didn't really "give them all they could handle". That would have been true if Bama hadn't returned the FG for a TD and if we had turned those two trips to the red zone into scores.

darell1976
November 22nd, 2011, 11:25 AM
You're darn right. The SoCon doesn't typically play crappy FBS teams like Minnesota, New Mexico State, UNLV,, Central Michigan, Toledo, and Maryland. No, we deal with the likes of Alabama, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, Auburn, Florida, and other big names that have much better athletes and teams.

And putting more points and total yards on Bama than any other team is nothing to sneeze it even if we didn't really "give them all they could handle". That would have been true if Bama hadn't returned the FG for a TD and if we had turned those two trips to the red zone into scores.

So true. Don't forget NDSU's moral victories against Iowa State, and Wyoming too.

That is an awesome highlight!xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
After this weekend, I'm pretty convinced the SoCon is clearly a better conference than the MAC and the Sunbelt, and probably half of CUSA. I don't think there's any team as good as, say, Houston in the SoCon, but Furman put 34 points on a Florida team UAB and FAU combined to put 3 on. Heck, the only teams to score more on Florida this season were Bama and LSU.

TheEagleWay
November 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
I'm proud of the way the SOCON played this weekend, especially my Eagles.

344Johnson
November 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Perhaps it would be for the good of FCS if Appalachian State rocks Georgia Southern in the 2nd round. Then anyone who saw that Georgia Southern was able to move the ball and score a couple of offensive touchdowns on Bama might start to realize that the good FCS teams can compete relatively well..

That said, great job by Georgia Southern to not get completely crushed. I'm sure running the option definitely helped a lot considering Bama never plays against it.

So true. Don't forget NDSU's moral victories against Iowa State, and Wyoming too.

That is an awesome highlight!

Other than lakes and maybe a few others, I don't know anyone who claims anything from those games except that they were in the early stages of two very disappointing seasons for NDSU. We folks in Fargo generally leave the Moral Victories and going "toe-to-toe" to the folks up in Forks.