PDA

View Full Version : Is Elon a rival for Appalachain?

SoCon48
November 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, they are....after WCU, GSU, Furman, Wofford (because of their successes against App with the exception of the Halloween game), and ECU.

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Well, if you're going to include ECU you should include Marshall as well.

I would also consider JMU to be more of a rival than Elon.

So, if a team can have 8 rivals, then Elon might qualify. They need to beat us a few times to solidify their status though.

boonegoon
November 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Yes, they are....after WCU, GSU, Furman, Wofford (because of their successes against App with the exception of the Halloween game), and ECU.

If they are then I think they are farther down the list. I'd put JMU over them, for example. I do not like Elon though, so if emotion plays a part then sure.

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Also, Wofford is 4-11 against us since joining the conference and Western Carolina is 7-28 and these are loosely defined rivalries even though they're lopsided...

...so, the bar is not set too high for you, Elon. Improve upon your 0-8 record and we can talk.

SoCon48
November 19th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Also, Wofford is 4-11 against us since joining the conference and Western Carolina is 7-28 and these are loosely defined rivalries even though they're lopsided...

...so, the bar is not set too high for you, Elon. Improve upon your 0-8 record and we can talk.

After Wofford upset us after our historic Michigan win, I'll always consider them a rival no matter how lopsided the margin. But that's just me.

SoCon48
November 19th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Well, if you're going to include ECU you should include Marshall as well.

I would also consider JMU to be more of a rival than Elon.

So, if a team can have 8 rivals, then Elon might qualify. They need to beat us a few times to solidify their status though.

I personally don't consider EZU a rival, but hundreds seem to do just that.

AppinATL
November 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM

Yeah, I agree. Maybe if we played them more than once every 10 or 12 years. It's a great potential rivalry, but as of now, no way.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I think you can compare the Elon-ASU rivalry to the Wofford-Furman rivalry 10 years ago

ElonPride
November 19th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I don't think Elon has any true "rivals" in the traditional sense of the word. We're too new in D1 to have really cultivated any.

We may have had the "beginnings" of a Triad rivalry a few years back, but the series went on hiatus. I miss playing A&T.

ASU_Fanatic
November 19th, 2011, 08:15 PM
no

ASUMountaineer
November 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM

We get it, you don't care at all about "EZU." So much so, that you love to bring the school up.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 21st, 2011, 03:46 PM
Elon is a rival, but they are behind our real rival Georgia Southern; our once (and hopefully future) rivals ECU, Marshall, and Wake Forest; our great potential rivals JMU; those punks that beat us Wofford and Furman; our trophy rivals WCU (though really I just feel sorry for them); our basketball rivals Davidson; and the UNC-CH Tar Heels just because every true Mountaineer hates those babyblue snobs.