PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern is ESPN Page 2's "Cupcake of the Week"

asumike83
November 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7245752/what-andrew-luck-trent-richardson-brandon-weeden-lamichael-james-debated-heisman-trophy

Check it out, about halfway down the page after the Heisman Debate, which is also quite funny and a good read.

All of the SoCon teams get some... uh... love? I guess sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself. Coach Monken gives the gem of the article right here:

Here's Eagles head coach Jeff Monken, quoted on the GSU website, on his team's chances against Alabama:

"We've got a huge challenge on our hands just to be in the ballgame and not be completely embarrassed. They are so far superior at every position. I don't know whether to laugh or cry."

cannonballgsu
November 18th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Cupcake?

Yeah, they're right. For those who don't think it will be probably should be living in padded rooms. It sucks to know your team is going to get manhandled, but when an FCS team is playing a top 3 BCS team, what can you expect?

asumike83
November 18th, 2011, 09:05 AM
No doubt, I did not post this as a dig at GSU at all. If it were ASU, I'm sure they would say the same thing, especially if they got such a great sound bite from our coach!

Hey, it got your name on ESPN. They say there is no such thing as bad press...

UNIFanSince1983
November 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
The Citadel and Samford got Player Name of the Week, and Coach Name of the Week respectively too.

Smitty
November 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Love the Monken quote

bluehenbillk
November 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
BTW, the line is Bama (-46.5)

Apphole
November 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
You can't win a game with a head coach that has that attitude. App players and coaches go into every single game expecting to win, including FBS. It's a winning mentality. Act like you've been there before.

The Apphole article summary:
The SEC is playing a bunch of SoCon cupcakes this weekend. Alabama is playing GaSo, but they might actually not be cupcakes...oh wait, yep, their own coach agrees that they are in fact cupcakes.

Way to represent the SoCon Monkey.

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2011, 09:52 AM
You can't win a game with a head coach that has that attitude. App players and coaches go into every single game expecting to win, including FBS. It's a winning mentality. Act like you've been there before.

The SEC is playing a bunch of SoCon cupcakes this weekend. Alabama is playing GaSo, but they might actually not be cupcakes...oh wait, yep, their own coach agrees that they are in fact cupcakes.

You are nuts if you think this is not just media coach speak.

He's gonna get our guys fired up in the locker room to win the game, it's smart and if we were to pull off the upset it only makes us look better.

asumike83
November 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM

He's gonna get our guys fired up in the locker room to win the game, it's smart and if we were to pull off the upset it only makes us look better.

Yes, I'm sure that comment was very tongue-in-cheek. Plus, it was damn funny.

Eagle16
November 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Monken always talks up the other team and downplays our team. He never wants to give the other teams extra motivation.

Redbird Ray
November 18th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I suspect that if Bama plays this one similar to games against Kent State and UNT, that the score will be closer than those games (which I think was around 40/41 pt margin). If Bama decides they need style points, then this one could get real ugly.

I think we can all say that GSU will not be Bama's easiest opponent this year though. I would put GSU ahead of both Kent State and UNT.

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Monken always talks up the other team and downplays our team. He never wants to give the other teams extra motivation.

Just like another great Georgia Southern coach used to.

Blue Eagle
November 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM

You obviously do not know Coach Monken very well. He will have the Eagles ready to give Alabama their best shot. If the team that plays with the most "HEART" wins this game I like Ga. Southern's chances!

Speaking of winning mentality and representing the SoCon what happen to ASU against Va. Tech?

In my view the Mountaineers certainly did not have a winning mentality in that game. In fact, they seemed to have actually quit during the game!

A Coach Monken team has never done that.

As far as representing the SoCon I expect Ga. Southern will represent the conference a lot better than ASU did against Va. Tech!

GO EAGLES
"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Just like another great Georgia Southern coach used to.

BVG?

cannonballgsu
November 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
BVG?

Whoa whoa whoa. You sir, need a timeout.

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Whoa whoa whoa. You sir, need a timeout.

xlolx

In my defense, I thought he was a fantastic coach for East Georgia...in the Bobby Lamb mold, no doubt.

All kidding aside, Monken seems like a good dude. As much as I hate GSU, I'm glad you guys are back from the dead. It makes beating you that much more special.

Blue Eagle
November 18th, 2011, 12:49 PM
BVG?

There is a rumor van jerk wants the ASU job after Coach Moore retires!

Enjoy your great coach while you have him. You never know when you might get a bvg clone!

Apphole
November 18th, 2011, 01:24 PM
You obviously do not know Coach Monken very well. He will have the Eagles ready to give Alabama their best shot. If the team that plays with the most "HEART" wins this game I like Ga. Southern's chances!

Speaking of winning mentality and representing the SoCon what happen to ASU against Va. Tech?

In my view the Mountaineers certainly did not have a winning mentality in that game. In fact, they seemed to have actually quit during the game!

A Coach Monken team has never done that.

As far as representing the SoCon I expect Ga. Southern will represent the conference a lot better than ASU did against Va. Tech!

GO EAGLES
"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

We were not a good team at the beginning of the season. Many O-line first time starters, new defensive scheme and VT players were quoted saying they were more prepared for the App game than they were for bowl games in previous years. The score would not be so one sided if the game were played this week. Bama will beat you by a similar margin. The Monkey is just sandbagging because he knows he's gonna get killed.

Ipso Facto victories don't go far when you lose the head to head.

eaglewraith
November 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Erk would have said something similar.

I wouldn't dare say that man didn't believe we were going to win every game.

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
There is a rumor van jerk wants the ASU job after Coach Moore retires!

Enjoy your great coach while you have him. You never know when you might get a bvg clone!

Lord, help us all. I would only pray BVG on a team like the Cowgirls.

ASUG8
November 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I normally wouldn't say this, but since GSU already locked up the SoCon I'll be pulling for you guys this week. Just leave some in the tank for December.

chattownmocs
November 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM

No they don't. And they don't really believe they are as good as Va Tech either.

ASUG8
November 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
No they don't. And they don't really believe they are as good as Va Tech either.

That would be delusional...but I don't have to tell you about what that's like.xcoffeex

ASUMountaineer
November 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM

And here I was just wondering where you had been. You're spot on, as usual. xthumbsupx

TwoFeathers
November 18th, 2011, 07:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7245752/what-andrew-luck-trent-richardson-brandon-weeden-lamichael-james-debated-heisman-trophy

Check it out, about halfway down the page after the Heisman Debate, which is also quite funny and a good read.

All of the SoCon teams get some... uh... love? I guess sometimes, you just have to laugh at yourself. Coach Monken gives the gem of the article right here:

Here's Eagles head coach Jeff Monken, quoted on the GSU website, on his team's chances against Alabama:

"We've got a huge challenge on our hands just to be in the ballgame and not be completely embarrassed. They are so far superior at every position. I don't know whether to laugh or cry."

I was a little surprised to see Monken's comments in the official release. I don't recall ever seeing a coach set such low expectations for themselves. Even if it's obvious Alabama is the better team, I don't know why he'd basically predict a loss. Perhaps it's reverse psychology, mind-games. But also pretty wimpy.

Contrast it with what Saban is saying, which is they are taking Ga Southern very seriously, and preparing extra hard for this game.

TwoFeathers
November 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM

+1

TwoFeathers
November 18th, 2011, 07:58 PM

It was in the official GSU press release on the game. I was a bit surprised when I read that. GSU it tougher than that, I don't care who they are playing.

gsu6trophies
November 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM

So, which head coach was it that ended ASU's SoCon streak. OH that's right. Jeff Monken took a team that was 5-6 to the Semis in year one, won the conference in year two. You're not intelligent. Wonder why ESPN didn't use the quote where Monken said We were bringing the black flag not the white flag?

gsu6trophies
November 18th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Also. First time I've ever read page 2. Probably last time. ESPN is pretty crappy all around.

asumike83
November 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Also. First time I've ever read page 2. Probably last time. ESPN is pretty crappy all around.

ESPN sucks, agreed. However, DJ Gallo (one of the writers on Page 2), has his own site and it is hilarious!

www.sportspickle.com

Check it out if you haven't already. It is pretty raunchy but quite amusing. Fake news, a bit like The Onion for sports.

Apphole
November 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM
So, which head coach was it that ended ASU's SoCon streak.

Bruce Fowler?

theasushow
November 18th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I really don't think that ESPN even realized that all 4 of those FCS teams are from the same conference, if they had, I think they would have made mention of it.

Baldy
November 19th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Yep, with a coach like that we'll never win a game, much less a conference championship....oh wait....uhhh....

Way to represent the retards, Jackhole. xsmileyclapx xnutsx

xlolx

blueballs
November 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Yep, with a coach like that we'll never win a game, much less a conference championship....oh wait....uhhh....

Way to represent the retards, Jackhole. xsmileyclapx xnutsx

xlolx

Don't worry bald man... old apphole (appropriately named) is just a jealous little punk with little dick disease who can't stand to see a rival out perform his precious little team.

I always get amused reading posts like that because you can tell who has actually played before and who hasn't. Those who played respect, those who haven't act like our little friend apphole.

Eagle22
November 19th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I was a little surprised to see Monken's comments in the official release. I don't recall ever seeing a coach set such low expectations for themselves. Even if it's obvious Alabama is the better team, I don't know why he'd basically predict a loss. Perhaps it's reverse psychology, mind-games. But also pretty wimpy.

Contrast it with what Saban is saying, which is they are taking Ga Southern very seriously, and preparing extra hard for this game.

I guess you never read any of the late Erk Russell's quotes.

bojeta
November 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Aahhhh...... now I'm really hoping for the upset of all time!! And against a team I love!!! These reporters pi$$ me off!! Goooooooo Eagles!!

Eagle22
November 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Well, Alabama didn't choke on the cupcake, but it didn't go down as easy as they thought it would !

asumike83
November 19th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Excellent showing, great job Eagles! I am quite pleased to be wrong about you guys not putting up 14. You did the SoCon proud.

gsu6trophies
November 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM
We were not a good team at the beginning of the season. Many O-line first time starters, new defensive scheme and VT players were quoted saying they were more prepared for the App game than they were for bowl games in previous years. The score would not be so one sided if the game were played this week. Bama will beat you by a similar margin. The Monkey is just sandbagging because he knows he's gonna get killed.

Ipso Facto victories don't go far when you lose the head to head.

Where you at Dick Head?

Baldy
November 20th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Where you at Dick Head?
In his, or his boyfriend's Apphole.

Apphole
November 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
In his, or his boyfriend's Apphole.

I was in your mother's rigor mortised **** xthumbsupx

Apphole
November 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Where you at Dick Head?

You sure are happy to have just one of the last 7, dime-a-dozen SoCon championships. I was watching my team win this weekend. You lost at the Rock this year. Blow me

Baldy
November 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I was in your mother's rigor mortised **** xthumbsupx
Boy, you haven't had **** since it had you.

See you in the Boro, that is if you don't lose to Maine....again. xlolx

Cleets
November 20th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Children,
lets play nice - the naughty words aren't for the FCS Discussion area...
We'll let that slide in the Lounge but not here

ngineer
November 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Boy, you haven't had **** since it had you.

See you in the Boro, that is if you don't lose to Maine....again. xlolx

Hey, Baldy, it's been awhile since we met off I-95 when I was taking my son to college in Florida. Seems like ages. If we have some luck, I see we're in the same bracket and will definitely travel to Statesboro for the semifinal if we can get a few breaks along the way (;-). Hope things have been good and hi to Eaglegus, too!

NDB
November 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hey, Baldy, it's been awhile since we met off I-95 when I was taking my son to college in Florida. Seems like ages. If we have some luck, I see we're in the same bracket and will definitely travel to Statesboro for the semifinal if we can get a few breaks along the way (;-). Hope things have been good and hi to Eaglegus, too!

too much information!

Baldy
November 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
I remember well, and believe me I sincerely pray that game will happen. :D xthumbsupx