PDA

View Full Version : SHSU Scoreboard Project

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Daktronics is installing us a new scoreboard over the next two weeks. We've gotten new scoreboards with our new baseball/softball complex. In addition to this football scoreboard, we're fixing to get a new scoreboard at our basketball/volleyball arena. Nice, eh?

EAT'EM UP KATS!

Scoreboard Project

Down she goes!

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/P1010030.JPG

http://www.gobearkats.com/athletics/scoreboardproject.html

Freightliner
May 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Any update on if the astroturf is coming out at Bowers?

TexasTerror
May 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Any update on if the astroturf is coming out at Bowers?

I believe it's another year...

Bowers will be much different than your last visit in 2004. We got that new weight/strength and conditioning facility by the field house.

Our new track which was put in place for the 2005 SLC championships. The new championship banners in the end zone (were those in for 2004?). The baseball/softball complex next door.

Of course, what more can you expect from an athletic department heading in the right direction? Commish Cup champions for the second year in a row, in a year our football team was down and both baseball and softball did not meet expectations or anywhere close to it...

Freightliner
May 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I believe it's another year...

Bowers will be much different than your last visit in 2004. We got that new weight/strength and conditioning facility by the field house.

Our new track which was put in place for the 2005 SLC championships. The new championship banners in the end zone (were those in for 2004?). The baseball/softball complex next door.

Don't remember seeing any banners in either endzone on our last visit.
Will be interested in seeing the new additions.

Of course, what more can you expect from an athletic department heading in the right direction? Commish Cup champions for the second year in a row, in a year our football team was down and both baseball and softball did not meet expectations or anywhere close to it...

Congrats on the commish cup...If anything, the Kats winning the cup should serve as a wake-up call to our AD to get it together.

89rabbit
May 15th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Daktronics is installing us a new scoreboard over the next two weeks. We've gotten new scoreboards with our new baseball/softball complex. In addition to this football scoreboard, we're fixing to get a new scoreboard at our basketball/volleyball arena. Nice, eh?

EAT'EM UP KATS!

Scoreboard Project

Down she goes!

Daktronics does great work. My dad was the plant mngr. there for years and years.

Here is our new one, it was put in last year.

http://www.daktronics.com/profiles/CC05623.jpg
measures approximately 121 feet wide by 56 feet high and features a large full-color ProStar® video replay screen in the center.

Any drawing of what yours will look like?

GeauxLions94
May 15th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Don't remember seeing any banners in either endzone on our last visit.
Will be interested in seeing the new additions.

Congrats on the commish cup...If anything, the Kats winning the cup should serve as a wake-up call to our AD to get it together.

And hopefully, the new SHSU digs will get our administration going in that direction as well.

On my wish list is (by sport):
Football - New pressbox, suites, scoreboard w/ video board; better lighting, sound system, concession area and bathrooms ... and a couple of thousand more seats - especially when McFans come to town ;)

Basketball/Volleyball - Fix it to where seats are closer to floor at the UC (kind of like Lamar/Texas State/SFA). Current setup is like being at the library or academic center :read: (more on that later)

Baseball - New pressbox with extra radio/TV booths; better lighting; better sound system, concession area and bathrooms.

Track - A new track and field complex; smooth move by former AD in the 90's to build a five-lane track inside Strawberry Stadium (it's great for practice, not much else :bang:)

Tennis - Better seating

Softball - A few more wins and a lot less injuries :rotateh:

General - A new weight training/conditioning facility; training room; in-house academic center :read:

Soccer - Better sound system, a little bit of signage, concession area and bathrooms

Merry Christmas ... does anyone know how much the Powerball is this week??? :rolleyes:

exbearkat
May 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
We got that new weight/strength and conditioning facility by the field house.
Isn't the new facility set to be completed this month? JB mentioned May when I last saw him at a baseball game in early March.

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Isn't the new facility set to be completed this month? JB mentioned May when I last saw him at a baseball game in early March.

Yep, supposed to be completed here sometime in the next few weeks, if not into early June...

Wouldn't know the weather situation in the area and you know how weather seems to always impact our projects considering how the campus is built...

McNeese72
May 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Daktronics does great work. My dad was the plant mngr. there for years and years.

Here is our new one, it was put in last year.

Yes, they do. We got ours last fall just in time for Rita to damage them. But Daktronics worked with us (especially with the baseball scoreboard) to repair them.

Doc

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Yes, they do. We got ours last fall just in time for Rita to damage them. But Daktronics worked with us (especially with the baseball scoreboard) to repair them.

I did some work with DakStats at my previous job and I called Daktronics for assistance. They were great in helping me out with some pretty ridiculous questions...I've got nothing bad to say about Daktronics at all and I haven't heard anything bad about their relations with SHSU...

Freightliner
May 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Terror,

Is the display to be the same as SFA's display..or is it going to be multi color?

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Terror, Is the display to be the same as SFA's display..or is it going to be multi color?

I am not sure right now what the situation is going to be as it relates to the display. I'm sure more will come out once the scoreboard is put up there and they test the thing out in the next few weeks...

NSUDemon98
May 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM

EAT'EM UP KATS!

Scoreboard Project

Down she goes!

NSU was suppose to get their jumbotron 3 seasons ago.

Apparently we had the chance to get the job done quick, and with only 1 company sponsor that would flip the bill, but the President of the university didn't want alcohol advertising...

So, here we are 3 years later and we still don't have ours...but from what I understand the money is finally there, we are just waiting on the state and the paperwork to be completed.

Brent
May 16th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Nice work!

Im hoping Texas State will follow suit sometime soon. God knows we need a new scoreboard at Bobcat Stadium.

Freightliner
May 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Nice work!
Im hoping Texas State will follow suit sometime soon. God knows we need a new scoreboard at Bobcat Stadium.

Brent,

Probably when we are old and gray. Heck, look how long it took the AD to start building an elevator at the stadium...and that was announced TWO YEARS AGO!: smh :

MplsBison
May 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM
NSU was suppose to get their jumbotron 3 seasons ago.

Jumbotron?!!?!?

That's Sony!

Daktronic's is the ProStar®®®®®®®®®®®®®.

exbearkat
May 17th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Brent,

Probably when we are old and gray. Heck, look how long it took the AD to start building an elevator at the stadium...and that was announced TWO YEARS AGO!: smh :
You guys may not have the new scoreboard, but you definitely have a sweet playing surface - something that SH desperately needs. Hopefully, however, we will be getting our own version sometime next Summer.

Keep your fingers crossed. ;)

NSUDemon98
May 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Jumbotron?!!?!?

That's Sony!

Daktronic's is the ProStar®®®®®®®®®®®®®.

I was just using "jumbo-tron" as a generic term...I have no idea what brand is will be.

GeauxColonels
May 17th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I wish Nicholls would get a "jumbotron" type display on our scoreboard.

It was upgraded several years back (along with a new sound system) and it is WORLDS ahead of what it was before. We were VERY excited about getting a video screen; however, the screen just shows computer generated graphics. I really would like to see some video and replays on our board but I don't think it's that technologically advanced.

blackfordpu
May 17th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Terror,

Is the display to be the same as SFA's display..or is it going to be multi color?

For the money spent it better be multi-color!

exbearkat
May 17th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I wish Nicholls would get a "jumbotron" type display on our scoreboard.

It was upgraded several years back (along with a new sound system) and it is WORLDS ahead of what it was before. We were VERY excited about getting a video screen; however, the screen just shows computer generated graphics. I really would like to see some video and replays on our board but I don't think it's that technologically advanced.
I think you guys have the best sound system in the SLC. That thing ROCKS. :nod:

GeauxColonels
May 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I think you guys have the best sound system in the SLC. That thing ROCKS. :nod:

I remember the year that it was installed. I was in the NSU marching band - The Pride of NSU - and it rained virtually EVERY game that season. Well, play was suspended due to a torrential downpour of biblical proportions (I saw an ark floating down the bayou) and the band & fans had taken cover under the stands.

The guys that were high and dry in the press box decided to play some music through the system while everyone waited (if you got it, might as well use it right?). Myself and several of the other drummers decided to go out in the rain and dance in the stands.

The guy in the pressbox must have liked what he saw because he kept playing music. The best moment was when he decided to play the theme from Rocky and we all ran up and down the stadium steps.

GOOD times!

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM
GeauxColonels,

Welcome to Any Given Saturday! Good to see a member of the Colonels on this board. Feel free to stick your head in on KatFans.com! :)

I moved to NOLA in the last year (twice, once before Katrina and once this past January), so I'm hoping to attend games in Hammond and Thibodaux...

MplsBison
May 17th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I was just using "jumbo-tron" as a generic term...I have no idea what brand is will be.

I was making fun of the guy for actually using the "registered" symbol.

As if Daktronics is some great company that should be respected worldwide.

NSUDemon98
May 17th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I was in the NSU marching band - The Pride of NSU

:eyebrow:

Freightliner
May 17th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I remember the year that it was installed. I was in the NSU marching band - The Pride of NSU - and it rained virtually EVERY game that season. Well, play was suspended due to a torrential downpour of biblical proportions (I saw an ark floating down the bayou) and the band & fans had taken cover under the stands.

The guys that were high and dry in the press box decided to play some music through the system while everyone waited (if you got it, might as well use it right?). Myself and several of the other drummers decided to go out in the rain and dance in the stands.

The guy in the pressbox must have liked what he saw because he kept playing music. The best moment was when he decided to play the theme from Rocky and we all ran up and down the stadium steps.

GOOD times!

I always get a kick outta your announcer when he says (or he keys it up on the computer) "Missed it by THAT much!"

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Latest from Bearkat Athletics...

Wednesday, May 17th - Scoreboard, video screen, and video system arrived as well as framing structure. Foundation, ground work, and drilling all day to prepare for new posts and frame, which will hold the video board and scoreboard. Daktronics did a walk through for all electrical work for video board and scoreboard, control room, etc. Wiring should begin Saturday or early next week.

Thursday, May 18th - Scheduled concrete pour on new posts; framework to be mounted for video board and scoreboard to be assembled. Scoreboard and video board assembly could start as early as Thurs. late afternoon or Friday morning.

blackfordpu
May 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Latest from Bearkat Athletics...

Wednesday, May 17th - Scoreboard, video screen, and video system arrived as well as framing structure. Foundation, ground work, and drilling all day to prepare for new posts and frame, which will hold the video board and scoreboard. Daktronics did a walk through for all electrical work for video board and scoreboard, control room, etc. Wiring should begin Saturday or early next week.

Thursday, May 18th - Scheduled concrete pour on new posts; framework to be mounted for video board and scoreboard to be assembled. Scoreboard and video board assembly could start as early as Thurs. late afternoon or Friday morning.

Any news on the model or the specs for the board?

GeauxColonels
May 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
GeauxColonels,

Welcome to Any Given Saturday! Good to see a member of the Colonels on this board. Feel free to stick your head in on KatFans.com! :)

I moved to NOLA in the last year (twice, once before Katrina and once this past January), so I'm hoping to attend games in Hammond and Thibodaux...

I grew up just outside of NOLA but currently live in Baton Rouge since I came up here 3 years ago to get my MBA. Whereabouts are you hanging your hat?

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2006, 07:10 AM
I grew up just outside of NOLA but currently live in Baton Rouge since I came up here 3 years ago to get my MBA. Whereabouts are you hanging your hat?

I'm in Uptown, right off of St Charles Ave between Louisiana and Napoleon. Not too far from the famous Bluebird Cafe and a few blocks from Touro.

Let me know if you swing by NOLA. Perhaps we can meet up and go to some games, though I know NOLA is a bit out of your way.

GeauxColonels
May 18th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Not too much out of the way. My family is all in St. Charles Parish and I have relatives on the northshore and westbank.

I frequently head out there on weekends to hang with friends. And I will DEFINITELY try to hit up some NSU games this season - as I do EVERY year.

MaxBaer
May 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM
For the money spent it better be multi-color!

Hope it has Purple and Gray! :o

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Not too much out of the way. My family is all in St. Charles Parish and I have relatives on the northshore and westbank.

I frequently head out there on weekends to hang with friends. And I will DEFINITELY try to hit up some NSU games this season - as I do EVERY year.

Alright. Well, let me know. I'd be game to head to some I-AA/SLC games this year.

Perhaps on November 11th, we could attempt a double-dip with Nicholls/SFA at 2 PM and SHSU/SELA at 6 PM?

TexasTerror
May 19th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Here's what the final product will look like...

Love how SH and Bowers Stadium is up there predominantly...

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/Full%20Size%20Scoreboard/finalproduct.jpg

GeauxColonels
May 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I think they have the wrong score on there...

:D :nod:

kats89
May 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM

I can't wait to see the new board and the weight facility overlooking the football field. I think I may have to take a little drive up soon to look things over. SHSU is on the move.:hurray:

Terror, that scoreboard kinda reminds me of the one in Robertson Stadium at UH?

Now all we need is a new booming sound system to rattle the trees in Huntsvegas. The natives wouldn't know what to do .

Tod
May 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Well, since GC stole my joke, I guess I'll just have to say that it looks fantastic! :nod: :nod: :nod:

kats89
May 19th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Well, since GC stole my joke, I guess I'll just have to say that it looks fantastic! :nod: :nod: :nod:

the score showing on the board, isn't that pretty close to the score in the 3rd quarter when the Griz came to Texas?xcoffeex xlolx

Just pickin!!!!

blackfordpu
May 20th, 2006, 12:04 AM
the score showing on the board, isn't that pretty close to the score in the 3rd quarter when the Griz came to Texas?xcoffeex xlolx

Just pickin!!!!

OH SNAP! ;) :rotateh: :)

TexasTerror
May 20th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Can't remember what the scoreboard at UH looked like.

I think the scoreboard is basic and simple. It's what we need, especially since the video screen will provide a working message center, which the old one did not. Yes, it had one, but right after the put it in, the message center went bad, the scoreboard company was never once again to be heard from. It was crap! It was a Spectrum board, you know the one with Bum Phillips? This is Bum Phillips! For football, press one. For baseball, press two..."

Can't wait for the new basketball scoreboard. Now those are needed even more so than football... :)

AgentOrange
May 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM
Man, it's been a while since I've last chirped on this board, so I guess this thread is as good as any to stick my head back in.

One exciting thing about this new board is the way that the office of Athletic Development is going at it. Near the end of the semester, an announcement appeared on the walls of the Mass Comm dept., asking for those who are interested in throwing together a high-quality in-game entertainment production. I'm talking with all the bells & whistles.

In addition to instant replay, pre-game videos, and the usual fireworks to amp up the crowd, don't be surprised to see the fun stuff, like the KissCam, or even the Dance-off. Once potential sponsers get a whiff of the possibilities of this board, the various tie-in games will start taking shape.

Not to mention, with the recent success of the MC/RTV dept. here at SHSU, there will be no disappointment with the product, and the atmopshere of Bearkat Football will enjoy a positive boost.

Go Kats!

blackfordpu
May 21st, 2006, 10:47 PM
Man, it's been a while since I've last chirped on this board, so I guess this thread is as good as any to stick my head back in.

One exciting thing about this new board is the way that the office of Athletic Development is going at it. Near the end of the semester, an announcement appeared on the walls of the Mass Comm dept., asking for those who are interested in throwing together a high-quality in-game entertainment production. I'm talking with all the bells & whistles.

In addition to instant replay, pre-game videos, and the usual fireworks to amp up the crowd, don't be surprised to see the fun stuff, like the KissCam, or even the Dance-off. Once potential sponsers get a whiff of the possibilities of this board, the various tie-in games will start taking shape.

Not to mention, with the recent success of the MC/RTV dept. here at SHSU, there will be no disappointment with the product, and the atmopshere of Bearkat Football will enjoy a positive boost.

Go Kats!

Nice to see you back on AGS AO! Good points and I too am looking forward to the new board and how it enhcances the atmosphere of the games.:)

blackfordpu
May 21st, 2006, 10:48 PM
I can't wait to see the new board and the weight facility overlooking the football field. I think I may have to take a little drive up soon to look things over. SHSU is on the move.:hurray:

Now all we need is a new booming sound system to rattle the trees in Huntsvegas. The natives wouldn't know what to do .

Does the board not come with a new sound system? I would think they tied into each other.

kats89
May 22nd, 2006, 10:40 PM
Does the board not come with a new sound system? I would think they tied into each other.

Not that I have heard. I am sure it is board only.

gokats85
May 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Not that I have heard. I am sure it is board only.

Great! New look, same crappy sound. I've heard better audio coming from the speaker at the Jack In The Box drive through!!!! :D :D :D

blackfordpu
May 22nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Great! New look, same crappy sound. I've heard better audio coming from the speaker at the Jack In The Box drive through!!!! :D :D :D

its funny cause its true!:hurray: xlolx

McNeeserocket
May 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM

I think your scoreboard may come with a new sound system. Ours did at McNeese. I don't know if it was part of the cost of the scoreboard or whether we had to pony up some more cash. You may be surprised when you see it the first time at a game and then hear a new quality sound coming out with it!

exbearkat
May 23rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
I think your scoreboard may come with a new sound system. Ours did at McNeese. I don't know if it was part of the cost of the scoreboard or whether we had to pony up some more cash. You may be surprised when you see it the first time at a game and then hear a new quality sound coming out with it!
You bring up a very valid point. As it currently stands, the sound system speakers are on the opposite end of the field from the scoreboard. Obviously, with the older scoreboard having no video, sound hasn't been a concern at all. With the new board, it now doesn't seem plausible for there to be absolutely NO sound coming from that end of the stadium.

The question now appears to be of what quality that sound will actually be. :eyebrow:

89rabbit
May 23rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Daktronics also does sound equipment. They re-did ours when they put up the new scoreboard and it is awesome! :cool:

Sportsound, a division of Daktronics:

http://www.daktronics.com/sports_prod/dak_sports_products.cfm?section=Sportsound

Perhaps you too are getting new sound with the new board.

TexasTerror
May 23rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Sound upgrades are not going to be coming in with the new scoreboard...

The sound upgrade is apparently right in line after the turf. However, more advertising revenue (which is the goal of the athletic department) on the new scoreboard and elsewhere (among other places, the east side concession stands at Bowers) will be generated to help fund both the turf and sound upgrades.

The basketball venue, Johnson Coliseum is in the midst of a scoreboard and sound upgrade. More on that can be found over on http://www.KatFans.com under the basketball area.

Despite your disgust (atleast, that's what I'm expecting), SHSU is taking steps to get to a final project. These are steps we would've never imagined.

If weren't for the lofty goals achieved that made these steps possible, we wouldn't even be thinking of a new scoreboard at Bowers Stadium and Johnson Coliseum. We would not be thinking of Bearkat Athletic Internet Radio. Sure would not have the new advertising we have now and more to come or the new ballpark facility. Can't wait for that strength and conditioning facility either, eh? That would've just been a pipe dream ten years ago.

This is the new SHSU athletic department. One equipped with back to back Commisioners Cup and the highest GPA in the Southland Conference. We're going somewhere...

exbearkat
May 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Updated progress:

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/Full%20Size%20Scoreboard/bigscore_40.jpg

blackfordpu
May 24th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Updated progress:

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/Full%20Size%20Scoreboard/bigscore_40.jpg

LOOKIN GOOD!:nod:

kats89
May 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
HERE IT IS. LOOKING GOOD!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/Full%20Size%20Scoreboard/bigscore_41.jpg

Tod
May 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
That's the pic I was hoping for. It's kind of hard to judge the size of that thing until you see the little dude standing underneath. You are correct, looking good! :nod: :nod:

BaylorTitan
May 25th, 2006, 02:05 PM
That'll look nice on FSN Southwest.

blackfordpu
May 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM
That'll look nice on FSN Southwest.

Heck yea it will!:nod:

blackfordpu
May 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Here is a pic of the new weight training facility that will be at the other end of the field.

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics/wts_bigdirt_09.jpg