PDA

View Full Version : Who gets seeded higher-- Sam Houston or Georgia Southern

GSU Eagle
November 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Assuming Sam Houston beats Texas St. and Georgia Southern loses to Alabama (a very safe bet) which school would be seeded higher?

Georgia Southern would have 1 FCS loss-- to Appalachian

The Southland is ranked below the SoCon in virtually any computer ranking or conference ranking system.

I could see Sam Houston being seeded #1 and I could also see it down to #4 or #5.

What do others think?

bjtheflamesfan
November 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I think Sam could go higher...now the only way they get #1 is if Montana beats Montana State in the Brawl of the Wild this weekend. Itd be hard to seed the Bearkats lower than 2 if they come in undefeated

Grizzlies82
November 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM
IF... Sam Houston wins this weekend, they will be the number one seed. That is regardless of if Montana State beats Montana, or how you might feel about the Southland conference.

That's my guess based on watching the playoff seeding for many years. The reason is this; 1. SH St would be the only undefeated team in the mix. 2. That includes a win over an FBS program. xthumbsupx

So despite New Mexico being lousy, and the Southland have a poor power ranking, Sam Houston will be rewarded with the #1 seed for running the gauntlet unbeaten. Now if Texas St upsets them, SH could fall hard (below #5). Yet if they win they should be a lock on #1. I'll be very surprised if it's otherwise. xtwocentsx

Appattk
November 17th, 2011, 10:08 PM
The big question is this....

What are Sam's attendance figures?

Skjellyfetti
November 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM

Grizzlies82
November 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
The big question is this....

I have no idea. Just guessing... it is probably not half of MT or ASU.
Yet I don't think attendance will be any consideration for the committee's seeding. If they win, Sam will be rewarded with #1.

ngineer
November 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Going undefeated for an entire season is tough regardless of conference. Kids tend to lose focus as some point and stub their toes, even on very good teams. I would think if they finish without a loss, they will get the #1 seed. MSU if they win and GSU #3.

Grizzlies82
November 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Going undefeated for an entire season is tough regardless of conference. Kids tend to lose focus as some point and stub their toes, even on very good teams. I would think if they finish without a loss, they will get the #1 seed. MSU if they win and GSU #3.

That is my assumption, and after watching this for year it does seem to be how the seeding committee views it too.

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM

are you joking? Wofford's are higher if that be the case

Professor Chaos
November 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I don't think Sam gets higher than a 3. Partially due to attendance and partially due to lack of quality wins outside of a OT squeaker against an FBS bottom feeder. I think some combination of Montana St, GSU, or NDSU takes the top 2 depending on how games play out this weekend and Sam comes in at 3 in almost any scenario. Just my uneducated opinion.

Fear the Bird
November 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I don't think Sam gets higher than a 3. Partially due to attendance and partially due to lack of quality wins outside of a OT squeaker against an FBS bottom feeder. I think some combination of Montana St, GSU, or NDSU takes the top 2 depending on how games play out this weekend and Sam comes in at 3 in almost any scenario. Just my uneducated opinion.

Agree

McNeese75
November 17th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Agree

Disagree

Kats will get 1 or 2 with an 11-0 record

frozennorth
November 18th, 2011, 12:12 AM
The major conference team with the best resume will get the 1 seed, at this point ndsu or msu. Shsu will get the 2, unless ndsu and msu both lose. If it comes to shsu vs gsu, I think 8 d1 wins and the lack of a true signature win will hurt gsu, even though I think much of the top 10 would crush unm, shsu's signature victory.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Agree, while it is a great accomplishment, just being undefeated has not bee enough before. I expect somewhere 3-5.

BisonBacker
November 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I think you are correct with this.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I've said it all along, SHSU with a win this weekend and undefeated record is no worse than a No. 3 seed... the GPI speaks for itself and has been consistent with what I've been saying there...

Though I agree with others, that if SHSU wins, we'll likely be a top two seed and would not have to leave the state of Texas throughout the playoffs... which is a very ideal situation.

katstrapper
November 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
FIRST THINGS FIRST. WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ON SATURDAY. Kats do that, #1 seed should be ours for the taking. Look at the last polls. SHSU received 71 #1 votes.

If Sam Houston goes 11-0, how can you keep them out of the #1 seed when you have 11 Division I wins on the season? Kats did not play one DII or lower this year. Keep talking schedule all you want. If SHSU is the only undefeated team in the country, the right thing has to be done!! All you naysayers can spin it however you want. Even if we go in at #2, we will still get all home games in playoffs. So line up and come on down and check out this "weak scheduled" undefeated team!!

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 02:02 PM
FIRST THINGS FIRST. WE HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ON SATURDAY. Kats do that, #1 seed should be ours for the taking. Look at the last polls. SHSU received 71 #1 votes.

If Sam Houston goes 11-0, how can you keep them out of the #1 seed when you have 11 Division I wins on the season? Kats did not play one DII or lower this year. Keep talking schedule all you want. If SHSU is the only undefeated team in the country, the right thing has to be done!! All you naysayers can spin it however you want. Even if we go in at #2, we will still get all home games in playoffs. So line up and come on down and check out this "weak scheduled" undefeated team!!

I hope you are right, as that would mean that the committee puts more value on the record of a team.

tribefan40
November 18th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I hope you are right, as that would mean that the committee puts more value on the record of a team.

Which is only part of the decision. SOS, recent playoff success, name recognition and conference all seem to play a part as well. IMO, if gsu and ndsu win this weekend, they're one and two. I still think SHSU is a 5-seed, maybe a four, no disrespect intended.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Which is only part of the decision. SOS, recent playoff success, name recognition and conference all seem to play a part as well. IMO, if gsu and ndsu win this weekend, they're one and two. I still think SHSU is a 5-seed, maybe a four, no disrespect intended.

I agree with you, but like the SHSU fans, I am hoping record is all that matters. :D

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I think your top 3 seeds are unquestionably NDSU, MSU (if they win tomorrow), and GSU because of attendance and SOS. Each from the sound of the numbers have at least twice the average attendance as SHSU. The CAA winner deserves a seed as well and I'd put that champion above the southland champ any day. The Southland hasn't done much in the playoffs lately, and that's why they're slighted so much. Regardless, I think UCA deserves to be in

BisonLakes
November 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Is Wofford out if Chattanooga wins Saturday?

GSUhooligan
November 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM

Yes. They won't have 7 D-I wins.

BisonLakes
November 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
YT will be sad, and Chatty/Fan will be insufferable.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I think your top 3 seeds are unquestionably NDSU, MSU (if they win tomorrow), and GSU because of attendance and SOS. Each from the sound of the numbers have at least twice the average attendance as SHSU. The CAA winner deserves a seed as well and I'd put that champion above the southland champ any day. The Southland hasn't done much in the playoffs lately, and that's why they're slighted so much. Regardless, I think UCA deserves to be in

I doubt that SHSU gets denied a top three seed if they are undefeated... really hope SHSU wins on Saturday and then gets a top three seed, because it'd quiet down a tons of people. If SHSU gets a No. 1, it'd really quiet people down... though the criticisms will reign in!

I think everyone is a bit clueless... SHSU can't be denied a top three seed with a win this weekend. A 5-seed... are you kidding? This is the Southland Conference! Not the MEAC... or even, the NEC or Big South!

FargoBison
November 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
1-3. NDSU-GSU-Montana State in any order as long as they all win.
4/5. UNI or Towson
4 or 5. SHSU

SHSU should be punished for two things, weak schedule and too few quality wins but they definitely deserve a seed. I'm sure SHSU fans will disagree but their schedule is so poor that it would be pathetic if the committee give them a top three seed.

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM
SHSU should be punished for two things, weak schedule and too few quality wins but they definitely deserve a seed. I'm sure SHSU fans will disagree but their schedule is so poor that it would be pathetic if the committee give them a top three seed.

If SHSU is not deserving of a top five seed, why is the GPI so high? The GPI is a source of direction for the committee...

Fear the Bird
November 18th, 2011, 03:21 PM
SHSU has had a great season and will be seeded but you are crazy if you don't think past history doesn't come in to play and the "vaunted" Southland conference has done what?

2010: SFA gets absolutely blown out of their home stadium by Nova after receiving a bye
2009: SFA gets paired up with EQU and wins at home before being absolutely boatraced by Montana
2008: Texas State smoked by Montana
2007: McNeese State rewarded with the #2 overall seed and gets comlpetely embarrassed in the first round by EWU
2003: McNeese State rewarded for a tremendous season in the Southland with the top overall seed loses in the 1st round to Northern Arizona?!

FargoBison
November 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM
If SHSU is not deserving of a top five seed, why is the GPI so high? The GPI is a source of direction for the committee...

SHSU's GPI is inflated by human polls, which are biased and flawed. That said GPI should be broken down like RPI...

Vs the top 25
*NDSU 3-1
*GSU 4-1
*Towson 3-1
UNI 2-1(can get one more win vs ISUr)
Montana St 1-0(can get one more win vs Montana)
SHSU 1-0

* denotes teams with to 10 wins.

Actually going by this method my seeds would be...

1. GSU
2. NDSU
3. Montana State
4. UNI or Towson(likely Towson though)
5. SHSU(should be seeded, but they don't deserve the luxury of being at home throughout the playoffs due to SOS)

That is assuming all teams win.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM
1-3. NDSU-GSU-Montana State in any order as long as they all win.
4/5. UNI or Towson
4 or 5. SHSU

If Sam Houston wins on Saturday they will be 11-0.

Yet somehow you think No. Iowa, Towson, and Geo. Southern who will each have two losses, will be seeded higher. All three of these teams may be better than the Bearkats. We will soon find out on the field. Yet, I don't see the committee seeding any of those three any higher than the only team to go undefeated. Running the table overcomes many of the shortcomings you point at. If SH St wins, I see them as a lock on either #1 or #2 regardless of any perceived SOS issues.

Now if Texas State wins everyone can say, "See I told you so", and we can move on to complaining about another seeding.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
relevant to this conversation how? I'm noticing a common theme of whenever I evaluate a team/ conference, I'm not rebutted, rather I get pointless deflections such as this

FargoBison
November 18th, 2011, 03:42 PM
If Sam Houston wins on Saturday they will be 11-0.

Yet somehow you think No. Iowa, Towson, and Geo. Southern who will each have two losses, will be seeded higher. All three of these teams may be better than the Bearkats. We will soon find out on the field. Yet, I don't see the committee seeding any of those three any higher than the only team to go undefeated. Running the table overcomes many of the shortcomings you point at. If SH St wins, I see them as a lock on either #1 or #2 regardless of any perceived SOS issues.

Now if Texas State wins everyone can say, "See I told you so", and we can move on to complaining about another seeding.

I think they could go above UNI/Towson but not GSU/NDSU/MSU. SHSU's max seed as long as every team wins should be no higher than #4. Playing a tough schedule should matter, SHSU's schedule is ranked the 65th toughest according to Massey. NDSU and GSU have top 10 schedules.

Catbooster
November 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I think that if all the teams in the discussion win, SHSU will be #1 or #2 seed. Argue all you want about whether they are better than the other teams in the discussion, or deserve it, in my opinion the committee will reward them for an undefeated season (including an FBS win).

And if they are as weak as many think, it won't matter much anyway - they'll get knocked off early and a team with higher attendance (bid) will get those home games.

FargoBison
November 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I think that if all the teams in the discussion win, SHSU will be #1 or #2 seed. Argue all you want about whether they are better than the other teams in the discussion, or deserve it, in my opinion the committee will reward them for an undefeated season (including an FBS win).

And if they are as weak as many think, it won't matter much anyway - they'll get knocked off early and a team with higher attendance (bid) will get those home games.

The committee has never given an undefeated PFL team a playoff spot, why should an undefeated team from a middle tier conference get a top 2 seed?

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I think they could go above UNI/Towson but not GSU/NDSU/MSU. SHSU's max seed as long as every team wins should be no higher than #4. Playing a tough schedule should matter, SHSU's schedule is ranked the 65th toughest according to Massey. NDSU and GSU have top 10 schedules.

In Sagarins, SHSU SOS has been the lowest of the Top 25 all year.

MR. CHICKEN
November 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM

16250.....IFIN' GA.SOUTHERN WINS....PLAY-OFFS OVERAH.....FCS TROPHY TA IGGLES....PUT UH PADLOCK...ON FRISCO!........xnodxxnodx........BRAWK!

Catbooster
November 18th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The committee has never given an undefeated PFL team a playoff spot, why should an undefeated team from a middle tier conference get a top 2 seed?
Like I said, just my opinion. I'm ignoring the debate over who's the better team, "deserves" it more, etc. and trying to predict what I think the committee will do. I think they will give them the 1 or 2 seed (and really, IMO, there's virtually no difference since both get home field until the championship).

Blue Eagle
November 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
If it comes to shsu vs gsu, I think 8 d1 wins and the lack of a true signature win will hurt gsu, even though I think much of the top 10 would crush unm, shsu's signature victory.

We are living in 2 different football worlds if you think Ga. Southern does not have a "signature" win! Whatever that is.

Is a "signature" win a win over a top 10 team? Would you classify a win over sixth ranked Wofford at Wofford a "signature" win?

To me any win over Furman is a "signature" win! This year the Eagles beat Furman 50 to 20.

As for Sam Houston they may well be the best FCS team, and any team that goes undefeated deserves a lot of credit.

But based on what I know which is not that much - except what I know about the SoCon!! - there are at least 5 teams that I think would beat Sam Houston.

Ga. Southern is one of those teams.

Blue Eagle
November 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM

They should not be out!

TexasTerror
November 18th, 2011, 05:39 PM
What will the reaction be on this board if SHSU defeats TXST tomorrow, is 11-0 and ends up being the #1 or #2 seed?

Skjellyfetti
November 18th, 2011, 05:41 PM
What will the reaction be on this board if SHSU defeats TXST tomorrow, is 11-0 and ends up being the #1 or #2 seed?

Crossing fingers that our team ends up in the SHSU bracket.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Absolute shock! and I will be estatic, cause that would mean Lehigh would get a seed. xeekxxrotatehxxbowx

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
#1 SHSU
#2 Montana St.
#3 NDSU
#4 GSU
#5 Towson

Despite the weaker schedule, I think the 11-0 team merits the #1 seed. MSU and NDSU as #2/#3 works out well geographically as does #4/#5 with Georgia Southern and Towson. If the Eagles finish 9-2, I don't see what the justification is to put them above any of the other three teams.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
#1 SHSU
#2 Montana St.
#3 NDSU
#4 GSU
#5 Towson

Despite the weaker schedule, I think the 11-0 team merits the #1 seed. MSU and NDSU as #2/#3 works out well geographically as does #4/#5 with Georgia Southern and Towson. If the Eagles finish 9-2, I don't see what the justification is to put them above any of the other three teams.

If all those teams won tomorrow (with a pass for Geo So.) your guess is the same as mine.
11-0 > than everyone else. 10-1 > than the rest. Then the games can begin and we will all know who was deserving of their high seed and who was not.

Though Montana is going to shock MT State in cold, snowy Bozeman and turn these brackets on their head. Go Griz.

tribefan40
November 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I think everyone is a bit clueless... SHSU can't be denied a top three seed with a win this weekend. A 5-seed... are you kidding? This is the Southland Conference! Not the MEAC... or even, the NEC or Big South!

I think the SHSU fans need to take a step back and realize this is all speculation. My observations are my opinion, and an estimate of what the teams 'deserve' in regards to seeding. You can't sit there and say that you know exactly how things will play out any more than I do. It's laughable to me that you make the claim that SHSU CANNOT be denied a top three seed with an undefeated finish. Cannot be denied? Seriously? I think the commitee could certainly deny them if they felt others were more deserving. I also enjoy your reference to them being in the southland. I realize Mcneese has had some past success but really? The fact they are in the southland is supposed to impress me? You can't seriously think that this should weigh on my decision and push them to a higher seed. I will take teams with 1-2 losses from the CAA, Socon, Big Sky, and MVFC any day over any team from the southland.

Dallas Demon
November 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM

and also keeps fan bias out of the equation. If most of you had a say, there would only be CAA teams and Southern teams receiving at-large bids. Then what is left over goes to the MVC (kicking and screaming because they didn't get 5 teams in instead).

GSU Eagle
November 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM
#1-- Georgia Southern would have to pull off the biggest upset in the history of FBS-FCS games if they beat Alabama tomorrow. Not going to happen, but I absolutely would argue a loss to Alabama should NOT hurt GSU's seed.

#2--- If you throw out the Alabama game GSU is 9-1 (o.k. throw out the Tusculum game and go to 8-1 from FCS teams. We won the SoCon, arguably one of the top 2 FCS conferences if not the top one. Several computers rankings have the SoCon as #1. After the 4 games this weekend vs. 4 SEC schools our strength of schedule will go way up.

#3--- Our 1 FCS loss would be to Appalachian, very probably a top 6-8 team.

#4 --- The Big Sky winner last year (Eastern Washington) was ranked #1 at season's end yet got a #5 seed--- so don't believe for 1 minute Sam Houston could not be in the same situation this year.

#5 ---- I think NDSU (assuming they win Sat) and GSU are very close. I think they will be #2/#3 and I could easily see NDSU and GSU as #1/#2

Dallas Demon
November 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I think the SHSU fans need to take a step back and realize this is all speculation. My observations are my opinion, and an estimate of what the teams 'deserve' in regards to seeding. You can't sit there and say that you know exactly how things will play out any more than I do. It's laughable to me that you make the claim that SHSU CANNOT be denied a top three seed with an undefeated finish. Cannot be denied? Seriously? I think the commitee could certainly deny them if they felt others were more deserving. I also enjoy your reference to them being in the southland. I realize Mcneese has had some past success but really? The fact they are in the southland is supposed to impress me? You can't seriously think that this should weigh on my decision and push them to a higher seed. I will take teams with 1-2 losses from the CAA, Socon, Big Sky, and MVFC any day over any team from the southland.

What about teams from any of these conference with 4 or 5 losses over any team from the Southland? 7 losses? 8 losses? 9 losses? That is what some are implying on this board - unbelievable. Yous guys do provide plenty of entertainment however, LOL.

tribefan40
November 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
#4 --- The Big Sky winner last year (Eastern Washington) was ranked #1 at season's end yet got a #5 seed--- so don't believe for 1 minute Sam Houston could not be in the same situation this year.

+1

tribefan40
November 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
What about teams from any of these conference with 4 or 5 losses over any team from the Southland? 7 losses? 8 losses? 9 losses? That is what some are implying on this board - unbelievable. Yous guys do provide plenty of entertainment however, LOL.

What exactly are you saying here? I was very specific in my post and you managed to generalize that to nonsense.

GSU Eagle
November 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
If strength of schedule means anything to the committee it is fairly easy to see how Sam Houston could be seeded #4 or #5.

Grizzlies82
November 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
#1-- Georgia Southern would have to pull off the biggest upset in the history of FBS-FCS games if they beat Alabama tomorrow. Not going to happen, but I absolutely would argue a loss to Alabama should NOT hurt GSU's seed.

I will be pulling for Geo. So. in the upset of all time... but I'll be a little shocked if you can score even 10 on that defense.

As to Eastern Washington, I'm too lazy to look it up but while they were ranked #1 I don't believe they went into the playoffs undefeated. That distinction should earn Sam Houston 'style' points to compensate for the SOS issue. I'm so confident on this point, I'm holding an imaginary three dollar bill which I'm willing to wager on it.

Dallas Demon
November 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
What exactly are you saying here? I was very specific in my post and you managed to generalize that to nonsense.

Not targeting you specifically. In general taking all posts on this board recently regarding Southland teams.

GSU Eagle
November 18th, 2011, 07:06 PM
The committee could just do the easy thing and say they are undefeated and seed them #1, and that might be what is done. But if the committee really looks at who a team beat and a team's strength of schedule and the conference a team plays in I think it can be fairly easily justified to move SHSU down to #4 or #5. When the NCAA is involved I always look at the $ issue also. Who will generate more fans and money, NDSU, GSU or Sam Houston--- Sam Houston is a distant 3rd. I wonder if that doesn't play into it too.

Catbooster
November 18th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I will be pulling for Geo. So. in the upset of all time... but I'll be a little shocked if you can score even 10 on that defense.

As to Eastern Washington, I'm too lazy to look it up but while they were ranked #1 I don't believe they went into the playoffs undefeated. That distinction should earn Sam Houston 'style' points to compensate for the SOS issue. I'm so confident on this point, I'm holding an imaginary three dollar bill which I'm willing to wager on it.
They did not go into the playoffs undefeated. They lost to MSU 30-7 and FBS Nevada. EWU won the conference and autoberth, but MSU was seeded in front of them at #4.

Bearkat 41
November 19th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I don't have a real strong opinion either way for where the Kats get ranked. I'd love the 1 or 2, but if it doesn't happen, it is what it is. This team has a great defense and a potent offense. You don't have the turnover ratio they have and score the points they have scored this year simply because they have played all terrible teams.

DO I think that the Kats would be 10-0 if they played in another conference? No. But I do think they would be in the playoffs and that they would be among the top teams in any conference this season. Feel free to disagree. Our opinions mean nothing. The play on the field when the clock hit 00:00 is all that really matters.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend.

Bearkat 41
November 19th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I don't have a real strong opinion either way for where the Kats get ranked. I'd love the 1 or 2, but if it doesn't happen, it is what it is. This team has a great defense and a potent offense. You don't have the turnover ratio they have and score the points they have scored this year simply because they have played all terrible teams.

DO I think that the Kats would be 10-0 if they played in another conference? No. But I do think they would be in the playoffs and that they would be among the top teams in any conference this season. Feel free to disagree. Our opinions mean nothing. The play on the field when the clock hit 00:00 is all that really matters.

Best of luck to everyone this weekend.

katstrapper
November 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM

I would be the first to admit if I didnt think SHSU deserved to be seeded in top 2. And of course you would take the 2 loss teams from those conferences because you are a fan of one of those and you havent seen SHSU play. I will agree with you on the Southland performance over the last few years, but I would disagree that this is a terrible conference.

Look I have been a long time ticket holder at SHSU and watched many of these teams over the years and will be the first to give you an unbiased opinion, but I will say this team is unlike any SHSU team I have seen in the past. Never in all my years have I thought I would be fortunate to see SHSU in this position. The biggest difference in this team vs years past is the dominant defense. This defense is scary good. Only giving up 56 yds per game rushing? 238 ypg total? 12.5 ppg? Leads the nation in turnover margin and takeaways? This defense will smother you.

My biggest beef I have had with a lot of people on here is that they havent seen this team play. Dallas Demon, did you see game last weekend? What was your opinion? Just curious, not looking stir crap.

First things first, we have to win today. If we lose, it is all a moot point on the top seed.

McNeese75
November 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Well unless you are on the selection committee I suppose your opinion is worth about as much as anyone's on here but not a damn bit more. So state it, but nobody really gives a ****.

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I would be the first to admit if I didnt think SHSU deserved to be seeded in top 2. And of course you would take the 2 loss teams from those conferences because you are a fan of one of those and you havent seen SHSU play. I will agree with you on the Southland performance over the last few years, but I would disagree that this is a terrible conference.

Look I have been a long time ticket holder at SHSU and watched many of these teams over the years and will be the first to give you an unbiased opinion, but I will say this team is unlike any SHSU team I have seen in the past. Never in all my years have I thought I would be fortunate to see SHSU in this position. The biggest difference in this team vs years past is the dominant defense. This defense is scary good. Only giving up 56 yds per game rushing? 238 ypg total? 12.5 ppg? Leads the nation in turnover margin and takeaways? This defense will smother you.

My biggest beef I have had with a lot of people on here is that they havent seen this team play. Dallas Demon, did you see game last weekend? What was your opinion? Just curious, not looking stir crap.

First things first, we have to win today. If we lose, it is all a moot point on the top seed.

I didn't go to the game because I knew what would happen. This Sam team is one of the best the Southland has had in years. They WILL be seeded #1 and UCA will be in also. Sam will make a deep/long run in the playoffs also. Let's see how it is for other schools/conferences to come and play here. It's a good thing that most on this board aren't on the selection committee. If that were the case, Sam would only be in because of the autobid. All teams would come from either the Colonial, the Southern, or the MVC (except Montana/Montana St.).

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Sam Houston will be the #1 seed. UCA will easily make the playoffs. Go ahead and take your other teams from other conferences and put in your fantasy playoffs. Good luck with that.

ChristopherBearkat
November 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Sam Houston State takes care of business. 36-14 in San Marcos

Perfect Season. What more could you have asked for?

Engineer86
November 19th, 2011, 06:07 PM
#1 seed record is all tha matters!

ASU_Fanatic
November 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Sammy will be 1st seed, but they win no more than 2 games in the playoffs. GSU is the team to beat I think.

blueballs
November 19th, 2011, 07:09 PM
The seeds matter a bit but in the end the team that plays the best will win.

All I know is that over the past two games Georgia Southern has looked like a championship team against VERY strong competition on the road.

I remember 1999 all too well. Tenessee State went 11-0-0 against a weak schedule and got knocked out in the first round while GSU averaged 50 ppg and steamrolled to the title. It wouldn't surprise me to see history repeat itself.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2011, 07:54 PM
GSU should be the #1 seed. SHSU just doesn't have the SOS to lay claim to the #1 seed. I think they get a #3 seed.

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM
GSU should be the #1 seed. SHSU just doesn't have the SOS to lay claim to the #1 seed. I think they get a #3 seed.

Yes, 2 losses (both late in the season) plus the wins over OOC Division II Tusculum and also Presbyterian should seal the deal for GSU.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
And SHSU storming through the powerhouse Southland conference should guarantee a #1 seed --- right.

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2011, 08:37 PM
And SHSU storming through the powerhouse Southland conference should guarantee a #1 seed --- right.

Yes, an undefeated Southland team with an FBS win. I doubt you (or others) have looked at the Southland schedules/results, but there are 4 winning teams assuming McNeese finishes as-is with Lamar tonight (Sam Houston, UCA, SFA, McNeese). Northwestern St. is 5-6. Most have played 2 FBS games. Talk all you want, you'll see tomorrow. GSU will not be #1 nor should it be - Sam will have that slot.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I haven't said GSU should be #1. My top 3 are #1 NDSU #2 GSU #3 SHSU

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Top 3 in no particular order: SHSU, GSU, and NDSU
Next 4 in no particular order: Montana, Towson, UNI, and Montana St

That's how I see it playing out, good luck to the committee sorting out the specifics.

seantaylor
November 20th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Yes, an undefeated Southland team with an FBS win. I doubt you (or others) have looked at the Southland schedules/results, but there are 4 winning teams assuming McNeese finishes as-is with Lamar tonight (Sam Houston, UCA, SFA, McNeese). Northwestern St. is 5-6. Most have played 2 FBS games. Talk all you want, you'll see tomorrow. GSU will not be #1 nor should it be - Sam will have that slot.

The FBS team would finish in the bottom 2 of the Socon.

seantaylor
November 20th, 2011, 12:46 AM
The FBS team would finish in the bottom 2 of the Socon.

james_lawfirm
November 20th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I have not read this entire thread, BUT GaSo should get the #1 seed. Period. 'Nuff said.

blueballs
November 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I don't know much about Sam Houston except that they played what appears to be a weak schedule on paper.

I DO know this though, and this is the "eye ball test." The SoCon this year was the best it has been since 1999-2001 at the top and the best it has EVER been 4-9. The SoCon is going to have some good teams that could actually win playoff games- Chatty, Furman- sitting home.

I also know one other thing too, and that is if I weren't a SoCon team I wouldn't want anything to do with GSU. That team plays HARD, is championship tested, has shown over the past two season it can win big games on the road, and has a ton of weapons in all three phases of the game. They are going to be a load for OOC teams in a playoff format- especially at their place.

However, as we all know, in one game anything can happen which is one of the reasons the playoffs are so much fun.

TheRevSFA
November 20th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Sam this year is very similar to McNeese in 2007. Undefeated in season play, win over FBS team. McNeese took a 2 seed out of it and were beat by EWU.

straightshooter
November 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Things that many on this board don't know: Alabama left their starters in the game yesterday. GSU gave them fits. Their last TD was scored by a pass from their starting QB to their starting TE with less than a minute to go in the game. GSU rushed for 302 yards against Bama's first team defense, the top defense in America. Before yesterday, Bama was giving up 51.7 yards per game rushing (the most by any team they had played was 107 by Penn State) and allowing only 14 ppg. The 14 was scored by Arkansas, now 10-1 and the #3 team in the nation. #1 LSU couldn't run on Bama.

Bottom line - please disrespect GSU by making them the 4th seed.

footballer23
November 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Argument settled... SHSU is numero uno.

eaglewraith
November 20th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Argument settled... SHSU is numero uno.

Seriosuly **** the NCAA

SideLine Shooter
November 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have not read this entire thread, BUT GaSo should get the #1 seed. Period. 'Nuff said.

You know it. They are the best, nobody comes close to them. They should go ahead and give them the trophy and not bother with all this playoff crap.

eaglewraith
November 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM
You know it. They are the best, nobody comes close to them. They should go ahead and give them the trophy and not bother with all this playoff crap.

Keep hating. We've started playing on a completely different level than when we matched up in October. If you saw the Bama game at all yesterday you should be scared to have to play us again.

katstrapper
November 20th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Assuming Sam Houston beats Texas St. and Georgia Southern loses to Alabama (a very safe bet) which school would be seeded higher?

Georgia Southern would have 1 FCS loss-- to Appalachian

The Southland is ranked below the SoCon in virtually any computer ranking or conference ranking system.

I could see Sam Houston being seeded #1 and I could also see it down to #4 or #5.

What do others think?

To answer your question....SAM HOUSTON ST

Eaglesrus
November 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Sammy will be 1st seed, but they win no more than 2 games in the playoffs. GSU is the team to beat I think.

Good call xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
November 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Keep hating. We've started playing on a completely different level than when we matched up in October. If you saw the Bama game at all yesterday you should be scared to have to play us again.

Did you even bother to read what I said? GSU is the best! Go ahead and give them the trophy. Get the freaking chip off your shoulder. Typical.

Blue Eagle
November 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM

You got your #1 seed. How I don't know!

Well the pressure is on you now. You would not want to embarrass the committee would you?

Just think every team that your team plays that thinks they should be #1 will have that extra incentive to prove it.

But your team should not worry that difficult schedule they played will have them well prepared for what is about to come.

All kidding aside, congratulations to the Sam Houston St team for their #1 seed and undefeated season. They did something no other team did and may well be the best team in the playoff. Who knows!

Personally, I do think there are at least 5 teams that would beat them.

But I do remember another Southland Conference team - Stephen F. Austin - that I did not know much about that came close to beating Ga. Southern in the 1989 National Championship game.

They were a very good team that had Larry Centers at running back.

Dallas Demon
November 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Well the pressure is on you now. You would not want to embarrass the committee would you?

Just think every team that your team plays that thinks they should be #1 will have that extra incentive to prove it.

But your team should not worry that difficult schedule they played will have them well prepared for what is about to come.

All kidding aside, congratulations to the Sam Houston St team for their #1 seed and undefeated season. They did something no other team did and may well be the best team in the playoff. Who knows!

But I do remember another Southland Conference team - Stephen F. Austin - that I did not know much about that came close to beating Ga. Southern in the 1989 National Championship game.

I'm sure the committee takes homerism out of the equation and doesn't rely on the AGS board for its recommendations. The selections were completely logical and predictable. You are correct, now it is time to prove things on the field of play. I'm anxious to see the results of all teams. Good luck to all 20 teams who made the playoffs, this is quite an accomplishment that should make all schools and corresponding fans proud. xsmileyclapx

blueballs
November 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM

...and Todd Hammel at QB who played in the NFL for a good while too.

Engineer86
November 20th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Are you serious? Are you really saying that WHO you play has nothing to do with what these statistical rankings are?

Bearkat 41
November 20th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I think that who you play does play a role in what the stats look like, but Sam didn't play a bunch of one armed-one legged dwarfs. Maybe all the "experts" on here who think SHSU is terrible and that the Southland doesn't desrve even an auto bid will be right and the Kats won't amount to anything in the playoffs and UCA will lose by 70. I will have to trust all of your sound opinions since I haven't watched every FCS team play every game this season.