PDA

View Full Version : Will there be "regionalization" for the top 4 seeds?

GSU Eagle
November 16th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Let's assume Sam Houston, GSU, NDSU and Montana St. are the top 4 seeds in some order. Regionalization would have Sam Houston and GSU together and NDSU and Montana St.

I wonder if the committee considers "regionalizing" the top 4 seeds???

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Let's assume Sam Houston, GSU, NDSU and Montana St. are the top 4 seeds in some order. Regionalization would have Sam Houston and GSU together and NDSU and Montana St.

No.

The seeds are placed in the bracket such that #1 and #4 and #2 and #3 would play in the semis if they each won.

The 8 teams that play in the first round are regionalized in an attempt to have the winners matched up against the closest of the 4 seeded teams they will play.

theasushow
November 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM
every bracket projection I have seen thus far (amateur and "professional") have all but thrown regionalization out the window. wofford-montana seems to be a popular pick.

Hammerhead
November 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Texas is in the west region so everyone in this scenario but GSU are in the same region.

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Texas is in the west region so everyone in this scenario but GSU are in the same region.

Therefore, Georgia Southern advances directly to the Championship while the other three try to eliminate each other.

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2011, 11:29 PM

As was posted, no. The committee will try to assign the top four teams with the seed it believes each deserves. The regional aspect will be used in determining the first round match ups, and the other four (non 1-4) second round games. Though I don't know if regionalization will be used in lining up possible quarter-final match ups.

SeattleGriz
November 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM
every bracket projection I have seen thus far (amateur and "professional") have all but thrown regionalization out the window. wofford-montana seems to be a popular pick.

Screw you bud! We don't want no stinking Wofford.

Squealofthepig
November 17th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Screw you bud! We don't want no stinking Wofford.

Agreed. The Terriers - much as I love them - are 1-0 at Wa-Griz and, much as I'd like to see them get down to .500 here, I still don't like the matchups. (That being said, if Woff comes here, any Terrier fans making it out to Missoula I will happily meet Friday night for some beer and good-natured trash talk!)

FCS Go!
November 17th, 2011, 06:04 AM
IIRC the seeds are broken up with 1, 4 & 5 in one bracket and 2 & 3 in the other- no regionalization whatsoever.

GaSouthern
November 17th, 2011, 06:19 AM
As a closet griz fan, you DO NOT want to face wofford after another tough home loss to GSU. They are going to be pretty pissed over the next few weeks.

eaglesrthe1
November 17th, 2011, 06:20 AM
The committee says that regionalization doesn't occur with the seedings, but to me it's just too easy to flip the 2 and 3 seeds to make it more "natural", and act like it just fell that way.

As far as match ups like Wofford-Montana, when you get somebody into the air, you can sent them to one place just about as cheap as anywhere else. Missoula isn't a hub city for any airline.

katstrapper
November 17th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I will just be happy to see all the Sam Houston naysayers come to Huntsville for the playoffs.

URMite
November 17th, 2011, 10:06 AM
No.

The seeds are placed in the bracket such that #1 and #4 and #2 and #3 would play in the semis if they each won.

The 8 teams that play in the first round are regionalized in an attempt to have the winners matched up against the closest of the 4 seeded teams they will play.

That is correct that #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3, but can the committee decide to slide a team up or down to minimize travel or maximize attendence? Of course not! Nothing like that has ever happened in seeding before!

RabidRabbit
November 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
It would be "nice" if, for once, the path for the Southland team(s) didn't involve a game in Glacier National Park (state). Only way that it doesn't happen is if Southland teams don't get bracketed with the MT teams, or if the SOuthland team is higher seed. Certainly won't win if bid is determining factor. NDSU at least plays in dome, so the elements may impact ability to get to the game and tailgating, but won't influence the game conditions.

SFA looked absolutely miserable during their 2009 at Griz Stadium, and a lot was the weather. (The shellacking by the Griz didn't help).

danefan
November 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
That is correct that #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3, but can the committee decide to slide a team up or down to minimize travel or maximize attendence? Of course not! Nothing like that has ever happened in seeding before!

True dat.

katstrapper
November 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
It would be "nice" if, for once, the path for the Southland team(s) didn't involve a game in Glacier National Park (state). Only way that it doesn't happen is if Southland teams don't get bracketed with the MT teams, or if the SOuthland team is higher seed. Certainly won't win if bid is determining factor. NDSU at least plays in dome, so the elements may impact ability to get to the game and tailgating, but won't influence the game conditions.

SFA looked absolutely miserable during their 2009 at Griz Stadium, and a lot was the weather. (The shellacking by the Griz didn't help).

SFA had a phenomenal QB and offense, but their defense left a little to be desired.

And playing in 20 degrees or colder in December is not idea of ideal condtions for football so they probably were miserable.

Catbooster
November 17th, 2011, 03:02 PM
SFA had a phenomenal QB and offense, but their defense left a little to be desired.

And playing in 20 degrees or colder in December is not idea of ideal condtions for football so they probably were miserable.

Huh? That's great football weather ;)