PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs are almost here... Who do you like?

appstate38
November 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
As much as it kills me to say this, I believe the Stink has a great shot to get #7... Hard to prepare for that offense in one week. Thoughts

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I'm leaning Montana St right now. Nobody from either the CAA or SoCon jumps at me as scary.

jmufan999
November 16th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I believe it's been Big Sky-CAA in the NC the last 2 years. Not that it means it will happen again, but I'm still going to predict that.

I'll say Towson beats Montana State in a shootout: 55-51, completing the greatest FCS (maybe FBS? I don't know) turnaround of all time.

No one is talking about Towson who is 9th in total scoring and 1st in 3rd down conversion percentage. I think they can win without a great defense.

THE HERD
November 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Haven't you guys been reading the forums around here!? Its a lock that one of the teams from the mighty socon is gonna win it all! I am not sure that the teams from the other conferences should even show up if they have to play a socon team.

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Haven't you guys been reading the forums around here!? Its a lock that one of the teams from the mighty socon is gonna win it all! I am not sure that the teams from the other conferences should even show up if they have to play a socon team.

Sounds about right :D

UIWWildthing
November 16th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I believe it's been Big Sky-CAA in the NC the last 2 years. Not that it means it will happen again, but I'm still going to predict that.

I'll say Towson beats Montana State in a shootout: 55-51, completing the greatest FCS (maybe FBS? I don't know) turnaround of all time.

No one is talking about Towson who is 9th in total scoring and 1st in 3rd down conversion percentage. I think they can win without a great defense.
Well some of us are talking about Towson :)

My $.02:
Homer pick - Towson, duh
Realistically - Between Georgia Southern, NDSU or SHSU

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Heart- SHSU
Head- Montana State

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM
As a GSU fan, the only teams that scare me are the big bruiser teams that pound out 3-4 yards every play and have a solid QB (ala Delaware last year, NDSU this year). I think it helps a ton that we will be going against the best version of that kind of team this weekend in Alabama. After playing Alabama, the NDSU's of the world don't look nearly as impressive. It's kind of like taking practice swings in the on deck circle with a donut on the bat. We'll be swinging without a donut throughout the playoffs.

gotts
November 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
As a GSU fan, the only teams that scare me are the big bruiser teams that pound out 3-4 yards every play and have a solid QB (ala Delaware last year, NDSU this year). I think it helps a ton that we will be going against the best version of that kind of team this weekend in Alabama. After playing Alabama, the NDSU's of the world don't look nearly as impressive. It's kind of like taking practice swings in the on deck circle with a donut on the bat. We'll be swinging without a donut throughout the playoffs.

Time to throw the off-speed stuff then :D

JmuSkinsfan
November 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm going to go ahead and predict that two 7-4 teams make the semi-finals. Based on the options available, I'll say, one, if not two, of these teams should be looked at as dangerous if they are in the field: Wofford, Indiana State, JMU

ASUG8
November 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Wow, an NDSU guy knocking on the SoCon....Whodathunkit? No homerism up in South Canada, eh?

I-16Bandit
November 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Going to say Georgia Southern for obvious reasons, but realistically, some of those CAA teams scare me.

gotts
November 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Wow, an NDSU guy knocking on the SoCon....Whodathunkit? No homerism up in South Canada, eh?

Can't we all just get along?

I take offense to South Canada, you hoser ;)

ASUG8
November 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Truce. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I've been on the GSU bandwagon all year!

theasushow
November 16th, 2011, 10:44 AM
As much as it kills me to say this, I believe the Stink has a great shot to get #7... Hard to prepare for that offense in one week. Thoughts

Good thing you have 3 weeks to prepare for the Championship game then huh? xnodx

kevin1633
November 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
All depends on how the brackets line up. If you have UNI, Montana St and SHSU in one bracket and GSU, Towson, and NDSU in the other bracket, who would you take? I think these are the top 6 six teams with a better shot than the rest to make it. But it is the playoffs and who knows maybe 7-4 ISUr will face 7-4 Tennesse Tech in the champ game........haha.

Silenoz
November 16th, 2011, 11:15 AM
A CAA team. Towson probably

SeattleGriz
November 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
NDSU

Ball control offense and a stout D.

TTUEagles
November 16th, 2011, 11:58 AM
All depends on how the brackets line up. If you have UNI, Montana St and SHSU in one bracket and GSU, Towson, and NDSU in the other bracket, who would you take? I think these are the top 6 six teams with a better shot than the rest to make it. But it is the playoffs and who knows maybe 7-4 ISUr will face 7-4 Tennesse Tech in the champ game........haha.

Hey...wait a minute! Nah...never mind. Make fun all you want - I'm still going to be thrilled to even be in this thing...

lehighfball
November 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Montana State

Twentysix
November 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM

South Canada is better than North Mexico, they work for horse vagina's down there.

MSUBobcat
November 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Not to be a homer but if that's the kind of team that scares you, MSU should be in the conversation. MSU averages 6.56 yards/play, with 5.27 ypc and 8.89 yards/attempt, while NDSU averages 5.89 yards/play, with 4.52 ypc and 7.90 yards/attempt. Denarius McGhee, on the Walter Payton Watch List for the 2nd year, is at least as solid as Jensen at QB. Not saying I'm predicting a NC for the Bobcats (too superstitious for that), but they definitely have the potential.

SonuvaHenx2
November 16th, 2011, 12:28 PM
This is how I rank my favorites to go the distance at this point (not anywhere near my poll rankings though)
1. Montana State
2. Towson
3. Sam Houston State
4. North Dakota State
5. Georgia Southern

Blue Eagle
November 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM

History is on the SoCon's side. Without really knowing how good the other conferences are and knowing how good the SoCon has been this year, YES, I believe either Ga. Southern, ASU or Wofford will win the National Championship!!!

GO EAGLES
"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

mainejeff
November 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Anyone that plays aggressive shutdown defense will have the best shot at making a run.

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 01:00 PM
As great as they have been this season, I am not as ready to drink the Towson kool-aid as some seem to be. I think they are a very good team that deserves a high ranking but the importance of playoff experience cannot be understated, and they have none.

mainejeff
November 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM
As great as they have been this season, I am not as ready to drink the Towson kool-aid as some seem to be. I think they are a very good team that deserves a high ranking but the importance of playoff experience cannot be understated, and they have none.

Agreed.

If Towson did another go-round through the CAA, they would be lucky to come out of it with a .500 record.

That being said, West is incredible........he truly is a BEAST and will be very tough for any team to stop.

boonegoon
November 16th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Not to be a homer but if that's the kind of team that scares you, MSU should be in the conversation. MSU averages 6.56 yards/play, with 5.27 ypc and 8.89 yards/attempt, while NDSU averages 5.89 yards/play, with 4.52 ypc and 7.90 yards/attempt. Denarius McGhee, on the Walter Payton Watch List for the 2nd year, is at least as solid as Jensen at QB. Not saying I'm predicting a NC for the Bobcats (too superstitious for that), but they definitely have the potential.

It's hard to go on stats alone. Last year Western Illinois was third in total offense and made me worry a little when they played App. App destroyed them and frankly wasn't that good a team.

andy7171
November 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM

I agree for the most part. The defense needs another offseason of getting bigger, stronger and faster. We're only graduating 3 seniors that start(1offense, 2 defense). The playoff experience we get this year will do good in the years to come.

Sam_Kats
November 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Defense + Ground game = Sam Houston!!

Just saying...I know this board is VERY bias though so we'll see in December

Gil Dobie
November 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Hope you rest your starters, so they don't get too banged up. At least you will have a week off to mend.

I-16Bandit
November 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Defense + Ground game = Georgia Southern!!

FIFY

MSUBobcat
November 16th, 2011, 01:54 PM
It's hard to go on stats alone. Last year Western Illinois was third in total offense and made me worry a little when they played App. App destroyed them and frankly wasn't that good a team.

I wasn't the one who came up with the criteria; I just responded to a post. Besides, WIU was one of the last teams in, and had to go to the top ranked team to play at one of the hardest places in FCS to play, while MSU should likely get a bye and at least one home game, so that's not exactly a fair comparison. In all honesty, a majority of playoff teams probably meet his criteria of "big bruiser teams that pound out 3-4 yards every play and have a solid QB (ala Delaware last year, NDSU this year)." I just knew we met the criteria and didn't feel like looking up all the other playoff-eligible teams.

Sam_Kats
November 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Can't argue with that...again, we shall see

boonegoon
November 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I wasn't the one who came up with the criteria; I just responded to a post. Besides, WIU was one of the last teams in, and had to go to the top ranked team to play at one of the hardest places in FCS to play, while MSU should likely get a bye and at least one home game, so that's not exactly a fair comparison. In all honesty, a majority of playoff teams probably meet his criteria of "big bruiser teams that pound out 3-4 yards every play and have a solid QB (ala Delaware last year, NDSU this year)." I just knew we met the criteria and didn't feel like looking up all the other playoff-eligible teams.

I'm not saying it was fair, just that looking at offensive numbers alone is a poor assessment. In my opinion. It's all speculation anyways, that's the fun I guess.