PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Coulson: Pete Adrian Turns Things Around at Norfolk State

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/78-college-sports-journal/david-coulson/96-pete-adrian-turns-things-around-at-norfolk-state

The first time I ever cast eyes on the Norfolk State football team, it wasn't a pretty sight.

I wouldn't have thought then that I'd be watching the Spartans win a MEAC championship in person just eight years later, with a 47-14 victory over Morgan State Saturday afternoon at Hughes Stadium.

The Spartans were playing a television game and there was All-American linebacker Kevin Talley flying around, making plays seemingly by himself, even though he was sometimes being triple-teamed.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 16th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Let's see, given the choice between ODU (Norfolk), Liberty (Lynchburg) and JMU (Harrisonburg), I believe Norfolk State will play ODU.

FWIW, I have been calling this for weeks.

mvemjsunpx
November 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Let's see, given the choice between ODU (Norfolk), Liberty (Lynchburg) and JMU (Harrisonburg), I believe Norfolk State will play ODU.

FWIW, I have been calling this for weeks.

Except that ODU will likely get a bye & Norfolk likely won't.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Why should ODU get a bye?

mvemjsunpx
November 17th, 2011, 02:35 AM

Because they're a 9-2 CAA team. Last year, all the power conference teams that didn't get byes were 7-4 (& one 7-4 team—Villanova—got a bye).

I suppose it's possible they won't, but I'd be very surprised.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
ODU didn't exactly schedule very tough teams OOC (Campbell, Georgia State) and didn't exactly impress against a Hampton team that may not even be .500.

jmu_duke07
November 17th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Why should APPY get a bye?

jmufan999
November 17th, 2011, 09:45 AM
If ODU doesn't get a bye, it's probably only because this close matchup [with Norfolk State] is too perfect to pass up.

andy7171
November 17th, 2011, 09:52 AM
ODU also has a bye this week. Will that effect their chances for a bye?

jmufan999
November 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM
ODU also has a bye this week. Will that effect their chances for a bye?

Good point. I'm sure it's not "supposed" to, but it could.

I wonder if they'd be rusty after not playing for 2 weeks? Especially as much as they like to throw the ball.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Why should APPY get a bye?

Who was talking about Appalachian State? But since you asked, a win over a No. 1-ranked Georgia Southern team and an 8-3 record in the SoCon, which is ranked as the No. 1 conference in most computer ratings this season.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Because they're a 9-2 CAA team. Last year, all the power conference teams that didn't get byes were 7-4 (& one 7-4 team—Villanova—got a bye).

I suppose it's possible they won't, but I'd be very surprised.

I've seen ODU twice in person and also on film and I've seen UNH twice in person and several times on film. In my mind, UNH at 7-4 is still the better team and I'd put the Wildcats into the top 12 before I would put ODU there. ODU had the weakest schedule of all of the CAA candidates.

jmu_duke07
November 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Who was talking about Appalachian State? But since you asked, a win over a No. 1-ranked Georgia Southern team and an 8-3 record in the SoCon, which is ranked as the No. 1 conference in most computer ratings this season.

strongest conference? the socon can very likely be a one bid conference this year with your "beloved" overrated appy's.

heath
November 17th, 2011, 11:52 AM
strongest conference? the socon can very likely be a one bid conference this year with your "beloved" overrated appy's.

Do you even know the teams in the SoCon? I've thought a 1a and 1b are correct ways to label the CAA and SoCon as strongest conferences.8-9(depending on JMU) of the playoff teams should come from these 2 conferences.

heath
November 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Just realized Delaware shot themselves in the foot playing West Chester,even tough they beat ODU and Towson won't get those seven D1 wins

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Just realized Delaware shot themselves in the foot playing West Chester,even tough they beat ODU and Towson won't get those seven D1 wins

And that kind of sucks because there would be no debate if it was Delaware vs JMU vs UCA vs Illinois St for the last spot in. . . *shrug*

jmu_duke07
November 17th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Do you even know the teams in the SoCon? I've thought a 1a and 1b are correct ways to label the CAA and SoCon as strongest conferences.8-9(depending on JMU) of the playoff teams should come from these 2 conferences.

I absolutely know the socon. I just don't think they are as good as many think. For some reason, people have this love fest for Appy and I don't know why. Also, I meant to say that SOCON would be a two bid not one bid.

mvemjsunpx
November 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I've seen ODU twice in person and also on film and I've seen UNH twice in person and several times on film. In my mind, UNH at 7-4 is still the better team and I'd put the Wildcats into the top 12 before I would put ODU there. ODU had the weakest schedule of all of the CAA candidates.

I do agree ODU has the weakest schedule in the CAA. However, I'd still be surprised to see a 9-2 power conference team not get a bye.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Real smart observation there ... Argh.