PDA

View Full Version : Frisco, TX Championship Game Promotion

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Right now the NCAA is promoting some ticket packages that will be going up to regular price by around November 21st...I think.

If you are planning on attending the game you might want to get ahold of this fella and get some discounted tickets rolling.

I talked to this guy on the phone a little bit ago and he's real helpful so give him a call if you need tickets for the game.

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/86908569830737384883.jpg

asknoquarter21
November 15th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Noon kickoff

joeybrownerhof
November 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Noon kickoff

Well, that is wild card weekend in the NFL. Don't they run those games at 4 and 8 central?

Hammerhead
November 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Seriously, how many people buy tickets before the playoffs even start? I certainly wouldn't travel down there just to watch other FCS teams.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Seriously, how many people buy tickets before the playoffs even start? I certainly wouldn't travel down there just to watch other FCS teams.

Why not? I've got a string of 10 consecutive FCS title games going, starting with the Montana-Furman game in 2001. They all are a lot of fun.

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I love the 1pm EST kickoff.

I'm just hoping its on ESPN and not ESPN2

Lakes Bison
November 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM

He thinks ndsu is all there is in FCS.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Texas is a big place. They have several FCS teams in the area that may or may not be in the game but might want to go see this game. If I lived in the area I would go every year whether my team was in it or not.

There are fans from those same teams on this board and might like the "heads up" as to the promotion.

gasoutherneagle
November 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
When was the last time Texas had a team in the championship game?

This game needs to be moved back toward the East.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM
When was the last time Texas had a team in the championship game?

This game needs to be moved back toward the East.

What does TX having a team in the game have to do with anything?

bojeta
November 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Why not? I've got a string of 10 consecutive FCS title games going, starting with the Montana-Furman game in 2001. They all are a lot of fun.

I agree. I would love to see the game regardless of who's playing. If I can afford it, I'm going. Doubtful though... 3,200 mile round trip plus lodging, tickets, dining etc... Think it'll be ESPN for me. :)

gasoutherneagle
November 16th, 2011, 03:05 AM
What does TX having a team in the game have to do with anything?

My point being: 18 of the FCS champions have been from the East, 14 from the Midwest and ONE from the West coast. 16 runners-up from the East, 17 from the Midwest and NONE from the West coast. Of those, THREE teams have been from schools within 500 miles of Frisco, Texas.

This game needs to be played in the center of the ACTION, not the center of the country.

UNH Fanboi
November 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Does it really metter? Every cable provider that I have seem has ESPN2 right next to ESPN. I never even notice the difference when flipping through.

henfan
November 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Although I enjoyed my trips to Chattanooga, Frisco was better or at least equal to Chattanooga in almost every regard.

Coincidentally, having the game in Chattanooga last season wouldn't have improved attendance in the least and might have even hurt it a bit.

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Does it really metter? Every cable provider that I have seem has ESPN2 right next to ESPN. I never even notice the difference when flipping through.

It only matters because if its on ESPN 2 that means something "better" is on ESPN......usually its the NBA, but we certainly don't have to worry about that this year.

NHwildEcat
November 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM

I am pretty sure it is on the duece. ESPN is showing another worthless and pointless but yet it is somehow still sponsored bowl game at the same time.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I'm not sure really what the difference between ESPN & the Deuce is???

Anyway, if it really matters for you, the FCS Championship Game is on the Deuce. There is a Bowl game on ESPN, the one from Birmingham, without looking it up I think it's the Compass Bowl?

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure really what the difference between ESPN & the Deuce is???

Anyway, if it really matters for you, the FCS Championship Game is on the Deuce. There is a Bowl game on ESPN, the one from Birmingham, without looking it up I think it's the Compass Bowl?

And ESPN will undoubtedly hype the crap out of that crappy bowl game because its on ESPN. That's my point.

In the end I don't really care. My point is just that its better for the playoffs to be a primary event on the flagship station. Just my xtwocentsx

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I personally enjoy the championship game in Frisco :D I have tickets regardless of who is there.

If any AGSers want to throw a tailgate..let's do it.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 09:56 AM
My point being: 18 of the FCS champions have been from the East, 14 from the Midwest and ONE from the West coast. 16 runners-up from the East, 17 from the Midwest and NONE from the West coast. Of those, THREE teams have been from schools within 500 miles of Frisco, Texas.

This game needs to be played in the center of the ACTION, not the center of the country.

So the center of action last year would have been..Iowa?

You have the FCS championship in a big market area..while Pizza Hut Park is not the Mecca...it's a beautiful stadium.

But let me ask you this..if GA South was FBS and in the BCS title game played at the Rose Bowl, you'd be there without issue, so why wouldn't you be in Dallas?

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Well to be fair the Compass Bowl is a Big East vs SEC game. With the SEC involved that game is guaranteed to at least triple the rating that the FCS NC game will have regardless of which teams are in it.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM
So the center of action last year would have been..Iowa?

You have the FCS championship in a big market area..while Pizza Hut Park is not the Mecca...it's a beautiful stadium.

But let me ask you this..if GA South was FBS and in the BCS title game played at the Rose Bowl, you'd be there without issue, so why wouldn't you be in Dallas?

SoCon fans are still just bitter that the National Championship game isn't a virtual home game for one of their teams, assuming they make it, like it had been for many of the Chatty years and the Marshall years and even the Statesboro years (where at least GSU wasn't actually in the SoCon at the time). Playing in a neutral building is just tough for them to put their arms around.

dgtw
November 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Well to be fair the Compass Bowl is a Big East vs SEC game. With the SEC involved that game is guaranteed to at least triple the rating that the FCS NC game will have regardless of which teams are in it.

The Birmingham Bowl gets the last pick among SEC bowl eligible teams. The SEC has nine bowl tie-ins, but if they place two in BCS games, a tenth spot opens up.

Since they'll likely have two in the BCS, that means Birmingham gets the tenth pick. But Ole Miss is already eliminated and Kentucky has six losses and plays Georgia Saturday.

To get ten teams in, they'll need Tennessee to beat Kentucky and Vandy, Vandy to beat Wake Forrest and Mississippi State to beat Ole Miss. Florida will have six wins if they beat Furman, otherwise, they'll need to beat Florida State.

Skjellyfetti
November 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Playing in a neutral building is just tough for them to put their arms around.

It should be where there is a good chance the competing teams will be within driving distance.

If you think the SoCon just wants a home game-- fine. Put it on the CAA's home turf. That is fine by me. DC, Philly, etc. If it's in a city like that... there is a much better chance that one of the competing teams will be within driving distance... and, therefore, much better attendance, atmosphere, etc.

Texas makes no sense geographically. Last year there was ONE team in the 20-team field within a decent drive to Frisco, TX.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
It should be where there is a good chance the competing teams will be within driving distance.

If you think the SoCon just wants a home game-- fine. Put it on the CAA's home turf. That is fine by me. DC, Philly, etc. If it's in a city like that... there is a much better chance that one of the competing teams will be within driving distance... and, therefore, much better attendance, atmosphere, etc.

Texas makes no sense geographically. Last year there was ONE team in the 20-team field within a decent drive to Frisco, TX.

..and this year there will be 2 teams :D..well unless UCA gets screwed.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Unless someone is as close as Appy was to Chatty, the atmosphere isn't going to be any different having it in Frisco or Philly. If you need to drive 10-12 hours to reach a place, just as many people will fly as would drive to it anyway. By all accounts, Frisco was no worse than Chatty and actually better in many regards. And that's with neither school being within driving distance. And with no Cotton Bowl on the same night this year, it's bound to be even better. Having it in January makes getting flights much easier so it's not like that's really a concern.

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I will take January weather in Dallas over January weather in Philly everytime. Of course I live in Dallas so my opinion is biased.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 12:48 PM

Still don't see the point. You are saying the NCAA should turn down the change of lacation so as to appease give the home field advantage to those that reside closer to the E. Coast?

They should turn down the higher bid to make it comfy in case one of the two teams is located there?
Got it.

I can see why GSU fans really love the game close because that is how you have the big advantage like you guys hae had in every National Championship you've ever won.

Too bad you guys aren't catered to now but trust me it's fun to travel to those games. Maybe you'll get a chance to try it this time?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Such a bunch of whiners when you have to go out of your way in any small amount to see your team. If Chatty had made the bid then you pouters could still have your home game but they didn't so you want the NCAA to cater your little pet project anyway.xlolx

SoCon hasn't won a NC that wasn't at a home field so I see how you guys are frightened by that but it can be done. Not that you would know this of course.

"Well it's not in our back yard and we can't drive to it so..........WAAHHH"

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Guys it's very simple - and the AD from Montana said as much last year. If Frisco didn't bid the amount they did & the NCAA was faced with a top bid equalling out to what Chatty was paying before we may not have a playoff system anymore or one that is smaller and different than that of today.

Otherwise, the FCS world may just look like the SoCon champ facing off against the CAA champ for all the marbles....

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM
To me, it has a lot less to do with "home field" than it does with having to book a flight as opposed to make a drive. If ASU were to make it to the NC game, I would be on a plane to Dallas in a heartbeat. However, it is much more expensive and stressful to deal with air travel than simply hop in my car and drive.

Based on the history of this tournament, it is much more likely that the participants in the title game will be from the East or Midwest. A 15+ hour drive to the title game location will likely end up having an adverse effect on attendance.

People can try to take away from ASU's titles all they want for being played in Chattanooga, I really don't care. ASU would have won those titles if the games were played on the moon, especially '06 and '07.

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
We drove from Dallas to New Mexico to see the Bearkats play UNM and had a blast. It was about 10 hours each way and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We should consider ourselves lucky that we even get the chance to see our teams play in the playoffs and possibly for a NC wherever it may be.

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
SoCon hasn't won a NC that wasn't at a home field so I see how you guys are frightened by that but it can be done. Not that you would know this of course.

GSU won 2 titles in Tacoma, WA although it may have been before they joined the SoCon. Furman won theirs in Pocatello, ID.

Skjellyfetti
November 16th, 2011, 01:48 PM

If you're going to accuse me of being uninformed... at least get your facts straight. xrolleyesx xlolx

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Oh..My..God! We have to travel to support our team in the NC. God forbid we get handed a 2 hour road trip, and God forbid we look at having a central location in the country to cover all of FCS, not just the brats.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NtMw4v0bgYQ/TadrG-QdAaI/AAAAAAAAAEA/boRHp7s77iQ/s1600/cox.jpg

Look..had I not been 7 years old when SFA played GA southern in the NC in 1989...had I been of college age or an adult I would have been there in a heartbeat to support my team. Hell I'm travelling to Bozeman next year to watch them get their asses handed to them by the Bobcats. It's not going to always be in Frisco. I'm sure the SoCon and CAA can pair up and have a bid called "The whiny *****es" and get some east coast city to host it.

I'm not slighting the CAA, the SoCon, or their fans in any way, but the FCS does extend west of the Appalachian Mountains...

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
SFA played GA southern in the NC in 1989

SFA's participation in the 1989 championship was vacated by the NCAA. Just saying. :D

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM
SFA's participation in championship was vacated by the NCAA. Just saying. :D

Well..true..but I'd still have been there BEFORE the NCAA vacated them being there :D

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm sure the SoCon and CAA can pair up and have a bid called "The whiny *****es" and get some east coast city to host it.

I'm not slighting the CAA, the SoCon, or their fans in any way

Talk about 2 completely contradicting sentences next to each other...

I'm really not sure why all the hostility towards SoCon/CAA fans for stating an opinion that it may make some sense to play the NC game in closer proximity to the teams that will most likely be participating in it.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Talk about 2 completely contradicting sentences next to each other...

The only ones upset about the game being moved are FROM those conferences..mainly SoCon..so yes...kinda whiny.

But I still respect y'all and the fact that you'd destroy my team in one of our good years

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM
The only ones upset about the game being moved are FROM those conferences..mainly SoCon..so yes...kinda whiny.

Well, the SoCon or CAA have been represented in 18 of the last 20 title games. Is it that crazy to think that the fans most concerned about travel distance to the game are those whose teams generally play in it?

As I said before, I will happily travel to Frisco if ASU makes it that far. However, it will probably hurt the attendance, which I'd think is the ultimate goal.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well, the SoCon or CAA have been represented in 18 of the last 20 title games. Is it that crazy to think that the fans most concerned about travel distance to the game are those whose teams generally play in it?

Point taken....

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM
If you're going to accuse me of being uninformed... at least get your facts straight. xrolleyesx xlolx

Nah, no need really. I was just throwing bombs at the traditional whine factory that gripes about the game not being at home. If ASU has good fans they'll travel.like Montana does. I mean some of the ASU move up crowd talks about this don't they?

If not and your team makes the game then maybe you spread the team to others that are not in your own little area...terrible huh?

asumike has it right. It takes some effort so put it forth like the rest of us do. You want the world to revolve ya slick but it doesn't.

BTW, what ever happened to all those claims of less than 10K showing up for the games once it left Chatty? It really crashed & burned like you said it would didn't it?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Guys it's very simple - and the AD from Montana said as much last year. If Frisco didn't bid the amount they did & the NCAA was faced with a top bid equalling out to what Chatty was paying before we may not have a playoff system anymore or one that is smaller and different than that of today.

Otherwise, the FCS world may just look like the SoCon champ facing off against the CAA champ for all the marbles....

This nails it down right here so take a long look skjelly...of course this is your dream on several different levels anyway.:D

gasoutherneagle
November 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
At no time did I ever mention Chattanooga. The weather their is awful in December. Nor do I want it in the Boro. I just want to be able to drive my family of four to the damn thing. Airfare, rental car, on top of tickets, food, and hotel for four people! OUCH! Hmmm... $3000 for a week at Disney or two days in Frisco?

PS Ursus... our first two championships were in Washington state.

gasoutherneagle
November 16th, 2011, 02:42 PM
....AND I CAN DRIVE TO DISNEY!

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM
At no time did I ever mention Chattanooga. The weather their is awful in December. Nor do I want it in the Boro. I just want to be able to drive my family of four to the damn thing. Airfare, rental car, on top of tickets, food, and hotel for four people! OUCH! Hmmm... $3000 for a week at Disney or two days in Frisco?

Leave Stateboro Thursday, all day drive to Dallas..enjoy Dallas and Texas Friday..game saturday...drive back Sunday..take monday off for recoop :D

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Leave Stateboro Thursday, all day drive to Dallas..enjoy Dallas and Texas Friday..game saturday...drive back Sunday..take monday off for recoop :D

Plus Six Flags over Texas is a great amusment park!

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Plus Six Flags over Texas is a great amusment park!

Aren't they closed by then for like.. a month? I thought Holiday In The Park would be done by then.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Trust me we know the prices. We were never able to drive. We've never had that luxury. If you want to go you may have do it without family or whatever.

Were you in the SoCon back then?

BTW, I was not talking to any one specific person on that previous to skjelly getting in.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 02:57 PM
....AND I CAN DRIVE TO DISNEY!

Cool, good you have choices.

GannonFan
November 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM

I'm pretty sure you can do two days in Frisco for far less than $3000 for a family of four. Might have to fly commercial rather than the personal jet, and may have to opt for a hotel room rather than renting out an entire penthouse floor, but you can probably come in a little under that.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you can do two days in Frisco for far less than $3000 for a family of four. Might have to fly commercial rather than the personal jet, and may have to opt for a hotel room rather than renting out an entire penthouse floor, but you can probably come in a little under that.

xlolx

Tough times mean tough choices.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2011, 03:09 PM

For four people: (assuming 2 day stay)

Airfare: $1,200
Rental Car: $ 150
Tickets: $ 120
Food: $ 240
Hotel: $ 300

By my math the only way you spend $3K is if you drop about a grand at Spearmint Rhino after the wife & kids goto sleep....

TheRevSFA

It's tough being part of that 99% now....

asumike83

Can't speak for every airport but I have already done some research for myself and economy class, 1-stop flights from Charlotte run about $500, which would mean $2K just on flights for a family of four.

It is what it is and some fans will be inconvenienced no matter where the game is played. My only point was that more times than not, a title game in Frisco will inconvenience a larger portion of the fans than one played further East.

I would not miss a chance to see my team play for a championship and would happily travel to Frisco. I have not spent much time in the Dallas area and would like to check it out, so hopefully we get there at some point.

Sam_Kats
November 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Maybe the Powers that Be just sensed a title going back to Texas...

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
..and you can fly Southwest for pretty damned cheap...

dgtw
November 16th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I just went to Orbitz.com and round trip flights from Atlanta to Dallas that weekend were around $400 a person.

Eaglegus2
November 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I was wanting the game in St. Louis or somewhere like that. It is boring to drive for 6 1/2 hours to see a NC game with Georgia Southern in it. Still wish it would be in or near Orlando. I love warm weather in January.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I was wanting the game in St. Louis or somewhere like that. It is boring to drive for 6 1/2 hours to see a NC game with Georgia Southern in it. Still wish it would be in or near Orlando. I love warm weather in January.

Good lord man...I'd have given my leftie in any freakin' year to only have to drive 6 1/2 hrs to see a NC game and to be honest if that is all I had to do I would go in years that my team weren't in it probably about the 1/2 the time or more cuz that would mean a group of Griz fans getting in the motorhome and taking a short trip to a NC game.

6.5 hrs., you guys are ridiculous...wait...you were kidding weren't ya!

You got me! Good job man, I took that hook, line, & sinker brother.xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Flying/Traveling is expensive right now. I just did a week in ND/MT and spend about a grand. That was with free plane tickets and living pretty bare bones.

The game should be played where the majority of the competing teams lie within 500-700 miles. I consider 8-10 hour trips drivable, thus more affordable.

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Flying/Traveling is expensive right now. I just did a week in ND/MT and spend about a grand. That was with free plane tickets and living pretty bare bones.

The game should be played where the majority of the competing teams lie within 500-700 miles. I consider 8-10 hour trips drivable, thus more affordable.

Call your Conference’s board of directors and convince them to put together a competitive bid and make it happen.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Ah so when someone out of the Big Sky, MVFC, Southland (yeah right) get in the championship their fans should be screwed over and have to travel for forever, whilst those in the SoCon and CAA are right there? What about if Big Sky vs MVFC happened? MT State vs NDSU in the championship in Chatty?

There's not a right way about this...at all.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Easy solution.... Vegas baby! Everywhere has cheap flights to Sin City and hotels the weekend after New Years would be as cheap as anywhere in the country that doesn't have snow on the ground. I've been told there are other "attractions" there as well.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM

It should be played where it is financially viable to do so and if it provides a minor inconvenience then too bad. It's a lot like the old "All teams should be seeded" argument. That would be great in theory but in practice it takes money to make things go round.

There are only two teams in that game in any given year and it is pretty rare that one team doesn't lie outside of the 500 mile boundary so that's only good for a very slim part of the group anyway.

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Easy solution.... Vegas baby! Everywhere has cheap flights to Sin City and hotels the weekend after New Years would be as cheap as anywhere in the country that doesn't have snow on the ground. I've been told there are other "attractions" there as well.

Great plan.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM

I was talking to some GSU fans at the 2000 NC and they were saying that the west didn't have a place that would work and I mentioned VEgas to them...they were pleased with the answer. Unfortunately they've never made a bid on the thing.

dgtw
November 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
In the fourth largest country on the planet, its hard to find a place convenient for everybody.

I don't think Vegas would work. There are too many other things going on to attract the interest of the locals. I also highly doubt the NCAA would put the game there.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 04:59 PM
What if Big Sky vs. CAA happened in Frisco and both fans had to travel over 1,400 miles? Oh, right. That already happened the first year and we had the lowest attended title game since '02. The only West Coast team to regularly appear in the title game is Montana and their proximity is very minimal. 2,000 miles to Chattanooga or 1,700 to Frisco, not a big difference.

I do hope that the new scheduling that allows 3 weeks before the title game will allow extra time to make travel plans and increase attendance.

EWU has very few fans that are rabid enough to travel. Delaware does Ok though. If that same game had been in Chatty it would not have made a difference so comparing NC games with App, Montana, & GSU in the games doesn't really give you a good picture. Now the other game with only Delaware in it might be a better test...

That was a difference of 1200 people in Chatty's favor with both teams being on the E. Coast in that one and under 900 miles.

gasoutherneagle
November 16th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Ursus, no matter where the title game is you Montana folks are gonna have to fly. Or, take a week off work.

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
EWU has very few fans that are rabid enough to travel. Delaware does Ok though. If that same game had been in Chatty it would not have made a difference so comparing NC games with App, Montana, & GSU in the games doesn't really give you a good picture. Now the other game with only Delaware in it might be a better test...

That was a difference of 1200 people in Chatty's favor with both teams being on the E. Coast in that one and under 900 miles.

Understood. I probably should not have even mentioned the attendance difference but my point was that the travel was still more extensive for both sides last year than it ever was in Chattanooga. I know the CAA/SoCon fans are not happy about the additional travel but I guess my question is who does this location benefit?

UNI? Nope, closer to Chattanooga. Montana? No, they have to fly either way.

I know there were outside factors in play here regarding the bid and that is another issue all together. I could honestly care less that the game left Chattanooga but from a purely geographical standpoint, it would be nice if the location was at least convenient for somebody.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Ursus, no matter where the title game is you Montana folks are gonna have to fly. Or, take a week off work.

Yup, that's why it cracks me up to see guys *****ing about some little things like what they have to "go through" to go see their team play.

That's also why I call it whining.

No matter what you guys want or think should be the driving factor though it is that money and the bidding is the key and that is why it is in Frisco. If you all had cared so much about it when the bidding was going on then there should have been an effort put forth to keep it there by the conference and there wasn't enough done.

It's a whole lot like the guys (not you) *****ing about the fact that the SoCon games weren't gonna be on the Sports South Network but they did nothing to keep it on there. All it takes is money but it's way easier to moan about things after you've done nothing than it is to do something to keep your cushy digs.

Everybody's got the greatest ideas of how things should be after the decision making and having some skin in the game is over with.

FCS Go!
November 16th, 2011, 05:31 PM
... it would be nice if the location was at least convenient for somebody.

This.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Understood. I probably should not have even mentioned the attendance difference but my point was that the travel was still more extensive for both sides last year than it ever was in Chattanooga. I know the CAA/SoCon fans are not happy about the additional travel but I guess my question is who does this location benefit?

UNI? Nope, closer to Chattanooga. Montana? No, they have to fly either way.

I know there were outside factors in play here regarding the bid and that is another issue all together. I could honestly care less that the game left Chattanooga but from a purely geographical standpoint, it would be nice if the location was at least convenient for somebody.

I got your first point and do not disagree with ya.

It benefits the tournament. It was enough money for the NCAA to keep moving forward with it. In other words it's a slight concession for you particular fans that were close to benefit the overals of FCS society at this time.

The thing is if it ever costs you anything then it will be fairly minimal and probably still an experience that you will enjoy to the hilt in a defferent town.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 05:36 PM
This.

Everything is convenient if you've got the cash. Otherwise, we'll all have to tough it out.

AppMAN04
November 16th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Everything is convenient if you've got the cash. Otherwise, we'll all have to tough it out.

AGREE!!

of course I liked going to Chatty, it was only a few hours away.. Frisco is not far from Dallas so the flights can get cheap if you get them at the right time.. Just make sure you get the insurance also... Yeah its tough but where theres a will theres a way..

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
No matter what you guys want or think should be the driving factor though it is that money and the bidding is the key and that is why it is in Frisco. If you all had cared so much about it when the bidding was going on then there should have been an effort put forth to keep it there by the conference and there wasn't enough done.

It's a whole lot like the guys (not you) *****ing about the fact that the SoCon games weren't gonna be on the Sports South Network but they did nothing to keep it on there. All it takes is money but it's way easier to moan about things after you've done nothing than it is to do something to keep your cushy digs.

All it takes is money... easy to say. The fact is, most people just do not have the resources to be that financially involved in conference decision making. Although I am not bothered by the SoCon no longer being the host conference or the station that broadcasts our games, fans do not forfeit their right to an opinion just because they did not raise the funds to change it.

If I could open my checkbook like that, the FCS champ would be hoisting the 'Mike Championship Trophy' at Kidd Brewer Stadium every season! :D

bojeta
November 16th, 2011, 06:38 PM

I started typing a different response, but it got too long winded... so... I'll just say that your "Midwest" and my "Midwest" seem to have very different boundaries. The "West" has plenty of Champions and Finalists over the years. Especially when consider the proportion of FCS programs.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM
All it takes is money... easy to say. The fact is, most people just do not have the resources to be that financially involved in conference decision making. Although I am not bothered by the SoCon no longer being the host conference or the station that broadcasts our games, fans do not forfeit their right to an opinion just because they did not raise the funds to change it.

If I could open my checkbook like that, the FCS champ would be hoisting the 'Mike Championship Trophy' at Kidd Brewer Stadium every season! :D

I never said anyone couldn't have an opinion on it. I was getting at the fact that the opinions are hollow when they come after the fact and are just *****ing that it isn't convenient for them even though it may be better for the overall...like the fact that SoCon didn't have to pay to have the games broadcast any longer. There has been a whole lot of "The world owes me a living" thing going on in some posters mindsets. Don't remember it coming from you but appreciate that you took up the fight for them. You seem to be better equipped to handle minor inconveniences.:D

bojeta
November 16th, 2011, 06:41 PM

I like this idea! You might win your air fare back and if not, you can drown your sorrows in debauchery!! lol

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I never said anyone couldn't have an opinion on it. I was getting at the fact that the opinions are hollow when they come after the fact and are just *****ing that it isn't convenient for them even though it may be better for the overall...like the fact that SoCon didn't have to pay to have the games broadcast any longer. There has been a whole lot of "The world owes me a living" thing going on in some posters mindsets. Don't remember it coming from you but appreciate that you took up the fight for them. You seem to be better equipped to handle minor inconveniences.:D

Yeah, I know what you mean. I got annoyed with all the complaining about our TV situation too. Honestly, I see just as many SoCon games now as I did before. Plus, I can watch them even if I am in the region but not in Charlotte so I love it. Before, I could not watch a SoCon game of the week even as close as in Raleigh. Folks are just unhappy about the PBS stigma, which does not bother me so long as I can watch the games.

I could be way off on this and maybe none of the other SoCon/CAA folks that are unhappy about the move to Frisco share my rationale for not liking it, but I just think that increasing travel for pretty much all fans makes it hard to see it as better for the overall. However, if the alternative is a smaller playoff field or no postseason at all, beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

dgtw
November 16th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Florence, Alabama, must be an economic hotbed if the DII championship there can generate enough money to be able to afford a larger playoff field than the FCS playoffs.

ngineer
November 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I will take January weather in Dallas over January weather in Philly everytime. Of course I live in Dallas so my opinion is biased.

Texas can get cold, too. When Lehigh won the D-II championship in 1977 the game was played in Witchata Falls, TX and the temp was freezing. Our old HC was bundled up like an Eskimo!

dgtw
November 17th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Ask Joe Montana about weather in Dallas in early January. Remember his Cotton Bowl game comeback in 1979 (I think that was the year)?