PDA

View Full Version : Payton Favorite?

theasushow
November 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
As the regular season reaches the end, there has been very little talk about this year's Payton front-runners, so I thought I would give it a stab. There is no clear cut favorite as in years past and that may be why there has been less talk up to this point. In my opinion Chris Lum of Lehigh, Terrance West of Towson, and Denarius McGhee of Montana State have to be towards the top. Aaron Mellette of Elon has had a monster season but due to Elon's down year he hasn't really recieved much recognition, he could be a darkhorse.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Shakir Bell at Indiana St should get strong consideration.

1533 yards, 13 TDs, 7.4 ypc in 10 games this year.

clenz
November 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Had Rennie not missed the YSU game I'd say him....but him missing that game probably cost him his chance.

andy7171
November 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Gotta think the fact that West is a freshman, hurts his chances.

dgreco
November 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Jordan Brown of Bryant has to be a favorite

1706 rushing yards with 19 touchdowns
227 yards receiving with 2 touchdowns
439 kick/punt return yards with 1 touchdown

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Lehigh QB Chris Lum

No. 2 in total offense
No. 6 in passing efficiency
No. 1 in TD passes

theasushow
November 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Also, the winner often comes from a top 10 team (if not higher), so that could hurt some people's chances.

Apphole
November 15th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Brian Quick? (covers head from onslaught of thrown objects)

theasushow
November 15th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Brian Quick? (covers head from onslaught of thrown objects)

To be honest I really think he has been under-utilized this season (53 catches) its a shame too since he has great size and athleticism. But statistically, Mellette has far better numbers (500 more yards, 46 more receptions, 50 ypg higher). Can't really blame Quick though, nobody thought ASU would have the quarterback issues that they have had.

tribefan40
November 15th, 2011, 11:40 AM
It is a shame that W&M is down this year, beacuse Grimes is making a case. Lots of records set and monster efforts down the stretch.

My opinion at this point is that Lum would be the frontrunner.

bjtheflamesfan
November 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Mike Brown is making a case for top 5 as well. The INT numbers might hurt him but he certainly has put on a show (even against Lum when the Flames and Mountain Hawks matched up earlier this year)

appfan2008
November 15th, 2011, 11:45 AM
For the first time in 8 years ASU should not have a finalist...
2010=DP
2009=AE
2008=AE
2007=AE & KR
2006=AE & KR
2005=RW
2004=DF

this year no one

Apphole
November 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
To be honest I really think he has been under-utilized this season (53 catches) its a shame too since he has great size and athleticism. But statistically, Mellette has far better numbers (500 more yards, 46 more receptions, 50 ypg higher). Can't really blame Quick though, nobody thought ASU would have the quarterback issues that they have had.

Very true. Quick has been under utilized as well as Jordan.

That's the problem with having so many good athletes on offense. They share the burden/glory. It's easy for Mellette to get such high numbers when he is the only athlete of that caliber on Elon's offense.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Sam Houston's Tim Flanders won't be a front runner, but he is an impressive athlete. He has 1,001 rushing yards and 20 td's. His numbers are not helped by the fact that he rarely gets the ball in the 4th quarter and SHSU often gets the ball with a short field.

LakesBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
no one deserves it, no stars in the fcs, let it sit idle

UNHFootballAlum
November 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Kevin Decker from UNH

Appaholic
November 15th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Holy Crap! You guys are killing me! I can't believe no one has mentioned the greatest QB in SoCon history. Chatty's BJ Coleman is the best QB NFL prospect in the last 20 yrs, FCS or FBS. Just ask Chattownmocs. Look at that form......fokking rubes...ought to change the name to the Coleman Award...

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/97860943570017753243.jpghttp://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/31411594463518948336.jpg
http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/94591337172645690960.jpghttp://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/84207191211759604867.jpg

ElonPride
November 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Very true. Quick has been under utilized as well as Jordan.

That's the problem with having so many good athletes on offense. They share the burden/glory. It's easy for Mellette to get such high numbers when he is the only athlete of that caliber on Elon's offense.

You guys said the same thing about Hudgins (and cue some where is he now comment in 3, 2, 1).

It should be pointed out that 15 different guys have receptions for Elon. Mellette is just a beast, period. Furman put one of the best defensive NFL prospects in FCS on the guy, yet, he still managed 144 yards receiving and 2 TDs. Three different receivers also caught TD passes for Elon in that game. App.....zero receiving TDs versus Furman.

Seems like if you have all those weapons on offense, you would have put up more than 10 against them. Just saying.....xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
November 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM
If Wofford beat GSU, I would say Eric Breitenstein, but it doesn't look like he'll have a chance. He's rushed for 100 yards + in 8 of 10 games. I think he's a strong candidate for Socon POTY though. No player seems to stick out to me in the overall FCS though

asumike83
November 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
You guys said the same thing about Hudgins (and cue some where is he now comment in 3, 2, 1).

It should be pointed out that 15 different guys have receptions for Elon. Mellette is just a beast, period. Furman put one of the best defensive NFL prospects in FCS on the guy, yet, he still managed 144 yards receiving and 2 TDs. Three different receivers also caught TD passes for Elon in that game. App.....zero receiving TDs versus Furman.

Seems like if you have all those weapons on offense, you would have put up more than 10 against them. Just saying.....xrolleyesx

I agree with you on Mellette. Kid is a beast, as was Hudgins. However, our inability to have a passing TD against Furman was not really due to the receiving corps as much as our O-line's inability to block anybody. We've got the weapons but it doesn't mean much if you don't have time to use them.

Should be a great game this weekend, I'll be making my 2nd trip to Rhodes.

theasushow
November 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM
If Wofford beat GSU, I would say Eric Breitenstein, but it doesn't look like he'll have a chance. He's rushed for 100 yards + in 8 of 10 games. I think he's a strong candidate for Socon POTY though. No player seems to stick out to me in the overall FCS though

I think SOCON will come down to Breitenstein and Mellette...no real clear cut favorite their either.

Reign of Terrier
November 15th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I think SOCON will come down to Breitenstein and Mellette...no real clear cut favorite their either.

I'd say EB, simply because he was the October offensive player of the month and he has more wins. If we win Saturday I think he gets it

Appaholic
November 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I'd say EB, simply because he was the October offensive player of the month and he has more wins. If we win Saturday I think he gets it

Well-deserved IMO...

katstrapper
November 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Sam Houston's Tim Flanders won't be a front runner, but he is an impressive athlete. He has 1,001 rushing yards and 20 td's. His numbers are not helped by the fact that he rarely gets the ball in the 4th quarter and SHSU often gets the ball with a short field.

Hasnt gotten the ball much in 4th quarter because of lopsided victories. He will be a force in the playoffs.

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2011, 02:37 PM

I would vote for Richard Sincere over Tim Flanders, even though Flanders is on the list and Sincere is not ... IMO, he's Sam's best offensive player.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I would vote for Richard Sincere over Tim Flanders, even though Flanders is on the list and Sincere is not ... IMO, he's Sam's best offensive player.

You could make a good case for either, but Sincere is harder to catagorize since he is all over the place. His spot on the roster should just say "Play-Maker".

lionsrking2
November 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
You could make a good case for either, but Sincere is harder to catagorize since he is all over the place. His spot on the roster should just say "Play-Maker".

They're both good players, no doubt, but Sincere's versatility and big play capability is what sets your offense apart, in my view ... Flanders can be game-planned for, but Sincere is a different animal ... he should be SLC POY, IMHO.

Apphole
November 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Can we take that as a moral victory since he is from Watauga Co? xlolx

Apphole
November 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM

The concept of throwing to the deep threat in the redzone has yet to enter our coaches minds. Whatever we did, you're right it didn't work, but we sure as hell didn't try to air it to Quick all afternoon. Hence the L.

ElonPride
November 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I agree with you on Mellette. Kid is a beast, as was Hudgins. However, our inability to have a passing TD against Furman was not really due to the receiving corps as much as our O-line's inability to block anybody. We've got the weapons but it doesn't mean much if you don't have time to use them.

Should be a great game this weekend, I'll be making my 2nd trip to Rhodes.

I was more or less arguing that there are more folks than simply Mellette thrown to at Elon. Heck, it was just a few years ago that both Terrell Hudgins and Michael Mayers both racked up 1,000 yards in the same year. Anyway, most folks on here agree that Mellette is the real deal and not just a "product of the system" or lack of surrounding talent.....ask Vandy fans about that :)

At the moment, I would bet we'll see both Quick and Mellette playing on Sundays.

andy7171
November 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
T-West is just a freshman. I like Decker from UNH. He's a senior who sat behind unitl it was his turn.

theasushow
November 15th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Can we take that as a moral victory since he is from Watauga Co? xlolx

This still troubles me lol.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I was more or less arguing that there are more folks than simply Mellette thrown to at Elon. Heck, it was just a few years ago that both Terrell Hudgins and Michael Mayers both racked up 1,000 yards in the same year. Anyway, most folks on here agree that Mellette is the real deal and not just a "product of the system" or lack of surrounding talent.....ask Vandy fans about that :)

At the moment, I would bet we'll see both Quick and Mellette playing on Sundays.

Some NFL folks have been saying Quick could go as high as late in the first round and he will almost definitely be the first FCS player selected. I haven't heard what the NFL people think of Mallette.

UIWWildthing
November 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM
T-West is just a freshman. I like Decker from UNH. He's a senior who sat behind unitl it was his turn.

Decker's a solid choice I would agree
T-West is just a freshman...you mean he could get better? :)

LehighU11
November 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Had Rennie not missed the YSU game I'd say him....but him missing that game probably cost him his chance.

No. Rennie wouldn't be in the conversation had he even played the YSU game. Had a nice game against Iowa St., but failed to show up against NDSU when it mattered most (just like last year's playoff game against Lehigh). Averaging 71 rushing and 175 passing through 9 games isn't going to stand out among the other candidates. A solid player, just not producing the numbers needed or playing well enough in critical games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2011, 04:25 PM
It appears that the Payton Award is for Lehigh's Lum to lose if the team goes a couple rounds in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure the playoffs don't factor into the voting.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Voting is done after the playoff field is announced, but before the playoff games begin. They will know at TSN by next Wednesday or Friday who the winners are for all of the awards.

ivyisaweed
November 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Lum, Bell, Jordan Brown. I've monitored the Payton race for a couple of years and noted that it hasn't recognized an Ivy League player. Is the conference that weak that someone couldn't even make the list?

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM
As the regular season reaches the end, there has been very little talk about this year's Payton front-runners, so I thought I would give it a stab. There is no clear cut favorite as in years past and that may be why there has been less talk up to this point. In my opinion Chris Lum of Lehigh, Terrance West of Towson, and Denarius McGhee of Montana State have to be towards the top. Aaron Mellette of Elon has had a monster season but due to Elon's down year he hasn't really recieved much recognition, he could be a darkhorse.

TB West from Towson. Only a freshman, but he has had a year for the ages,....as has Towson as a program.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Lum, Bell, Jordan Brown. I've monitored the Payton race for a couple of years and noted that it hasn't recognized an Ivy League player. Is the conference that weak that someone couldn't even make the list?

Nick Hartigan of Brown was a finalist back a few years ago. One of the reasons that I expanded the list from 16 to 20 players in 2009 was so all of the conferences could be represented. Some things that hurt the Ivies are the fact that they get such a late start to their seasons and because the teams play only 10 games. Less time to put up big stats. There are several candidates this year that could be considered for both the Payton and Buchanan awards.

ngineer
November 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hasnt gotten the ball much in 4th quarter because of lopsided victories. He will be a force in the playoffs.

Chris Lum has only played in the fourth quarter in about four games this year. His stats would be unbelieveable had he played another 5 or six quarters.

Blue Eagle
November 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
The best player I have seen this year is Ga. Southern defensive tackle - Brent Russell

Wildcat80
November 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM

Except Decker had a big hand in our two losses. Yards do not equal points or get the team wins. Can he beat Maine??

ngineer
November 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
The best player I have seen this year is Ga. Southern defensive tackle - Brent Russell

The Payton goes to the best offensive player in FCS.

frozennorth
November 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
No love for brock jensen?

theasushow
November 15th, 2011, 11:26 PM

He is a force, but no secret. Opponents constantly double and triple team him, as evidence by only 5.0 sacks on the year.

ODUsmitty
November 15th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Terrance West of Towson and Jonathan Grimes of Wm are impressive.

I'd submit for consideration Taylor Heinicke of ODU. Entered at half of Umass game. Engineered a comeback victory with deep TD passes, and has gone 6-1 since taking over for an injured Demarco. Consecutive victories over JMU, UR, and WM in this string.

14 passing TD's. several rushing TDs and only one INT. Mature beyond his age. Ask JMU and WM about his game impact.

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Lum out of Lehigh is a clear favorite with the numbers he's put up. He does have the 7th most interceptions though.
West out of Towson didn't really play much to start the season and he has 25 touchdowns? That's extremely impressive. He's averaging over 7 yards per carry. That's second best among players with more than 100 carries.

Also, under the radar because his team has been average this season. Bo Levi Mitchell is leading the league in total yards and is 2nd in TD passes with 29.

Nathan Dick out of Central Arkansas has 28 TD's and only 8 interceptions.

dgreco
November 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Is there a place to see info on all of the league leaders? I have to think Jordan Brown is far above most other RBs in almost every category.

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Is there a place to see info on all of the league leaders? I have to think Jordan Brown is far above most other RBs in almost every category.

Dig around here: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/mainpage.jsp

You'll find a lot of useful stats.

Jordan Brown has some great numbers. The problem with his stats, as you will see when you dig around official NCAA stats, is that they classify him in the "Transitioning" category so his name does not end up at the top of any of the lists, even though it should. I have a feeling he'll be hurt by that.

Go Apps
November 16th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Brian Quick is the most talented and will go highest in the Draft - I think he deserves it

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Brian Quick is the most talented and will go highest in the Draft - I think he deserves it

I didn't know the Payton award was intended for the highest projected draft pick.

I thought it went to the most accomplished player in FCS. Sometimes that is the same person, but in Quick's case there are 15 guys ahead of him in receiving yards per game and he's not even on the Top 100 scoring list.

Great player. Not the best season in the entire FCS world though.

ivyisaweed
November 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Matthews at Cornell and Schwieger of Dartmouth seem to be stacking up pretty well statistically speaking.

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Terrance West, Jonathan Grimes and Tre Gray are the three best offensive players I've seen this season, so that's all I can speak for. Lum was also quite good.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM
No love for brock jensen?
The numbers don't pop off the page nearly well enough for Brock to be a contender. I think he's as good as any QB in the FCS right now, although his toe has been troublesome lately, but he's not even in the Payton discussion with pretty pedestrian yardage and TD numbers. I have a hard time seeing him even making 1st team all MVFC.

Blue Eagle
November 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
The Payton goes to the best offensive player in FCS.

According to Mr. C "There are several candidates this year that could be considered for both the Payton and Buchanan awards"

Before you correct someone you should be sure of your facts.

unh4life
November 16th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Would love to see Decker win it!!! hopefully he can have a big game vs Maine and gets the W
by the way, not looking forward to seeing T West next few years

Mr. C
November 16th, 2011, 08:10 PM
According to Mr. C "There are several candidates this year that could be considered for both the Payton and Buchanan awards"

Before you correct someone you should be sure of your facts.

Not sure who you are being critical of here, but here are the facts from someone who spent three years administering these awards. The Sports Network "claims" the Payton Award goes to the most outstanding player in FCS, just like the Heisman Trophy is suppose to go to the top player in college football (even though we know the Heisman hasn't met that standard for MANY years). In reality, a defensive player has never come close to winning the Payton Award and TSN finally began sponsoring the Buchanan Award in 1995 to correct the fact that defensive players didn't get appropriate due. For 24 years, the Payton has gone to the player voted as the "best" offensive player. They can call it what they want, but those are the facts. That doesn't mean that there are not defensive players in FCS that couldn't be considered as the top player in the subdivision this season. You could make a case for someone like Brent Russell, Ben Boothby, or Adrian Hamilton as the best player, but the system isn't set up that way.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Would love to see Decker win it!!! hopefully he can have a big game vs Maine and gets the W
by the way, not looking forward to seeing T West next few years

Having watched Decker and Lum go head-to-head in person and twice each this season in person and several times on film, I like Decker, despite the difference in numbers. Decker forces things sometimes when he is trying to bring his team back, but I think he reads the field better and has better tools than Lum. Lum sometimes throws interceptions that are just plain bad plays. Decker can also move in the pocket better to escape pressure. He made some incredible plays on Saturday at Towson, despite giving up some turnovers as he tried to bring his team back. Decker can beat a defense by running as well, something Lum really can't do.

LeadBolt
November 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I would love to see Jonathan Grimes be recognized in this way, but with the year W&M has had this is not as likely as it should be.

TwoFeathers
November 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
It is a shame that W&M is down this year, beacuse Grimes is making a case. Lots of records set and monster efforts down the stretch.

My opinion at this point is that Lum would be the frontrunner.

Second that. Grimes has had, what, 3 games of 320+ all purpose yards? Maybe more? And has had his best games against very good teams.

theasushow
November 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I think Grimes was the preseason favorite, I mean afterall, W&M was picked by some to go all the way. Too bad they had to lay they proverbial egg this season, killed any chance he had.

Woody Hayes
November 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
What about the buchannan? I think that LJ Fort has a very very strong case for it.

Blue Eagle
November 17th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Mr. C regarding my post about the Payton Award I stated Brent Russell was the best player I have seen this year. Ngineer then responded the award goes to an offensive player.

Even though it has always gone to an offensive player the information I have read states it goes to the most outstanding player (both offensive & defensive).

And your statement in an earlier post "There are several candidates this year that could be considered for both the Payton and Buchanan awards" seems to support that a defensive player could win the award.

Regarding the Heisman a defensive player - Charles Woodson - did win the award in 1997.

Yes, I think, Brent Russell should win the Payton Award this year!!!

andy7171
November 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Lum out of Lehigh is a clear favorite with the numbers he's put up. He does have the 7th most interceptions though.
West out of Towson didn't really play much to start the season and he has 25 touchdowns? That's extremely impressive. He's averaging over 7 yards per carry. That's second best among players with more than 100 carries.

Also, under the radar because his team has been average this season. Bo Levi Mitchell is leading the league in total yards and is 2nd in TD passes with 29.

Nathan Dick out of Central Arkansas has 28 TD's and only 8 interceptions.

West didn't play the first game, against Morgan State, because we were trying to redshirt him. He was too much of a beast in practice to keep him off the field. That is the only game he hasn't played.

asumike83
November 17th, 2011, 08:42 AM
And your statement in an earlier post "There are several candidates this year that could be considered for both the Payton and Buchanan awards" seems to support that a defensive player could win the award.

I believe his post was in response to an Ivy League fan asking about candidates from that conference, which I took to mean that there are several different players that could be considered for the Payton and Buchanan Awards. I could be wrong but I don't think he meant that there are individual players being considered to win both awards. Brent Russell is definitely in the conversation for Buchanon but not Payton. With the exception of one WR, the award has never been won by anyone besides a RB or QB.

Blue Eagle
November 17th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I believe his post was in response to an Ivy League fan asking about candidates from that conference, which I took to mean that there are several different players that could be considered for the Payton and Buchanan Awards. I could be wrong but I don't think he meant that there are individual players being considered to win both awards. Brent Russell is definitely in the conversation for Buchanon but not Payton. With the exception of one WR, the award has never been won by anyone besides a RB or QB.

I agree with you. I misread his post. My bad!