PDA

View Full Version : Firing's the Easy Part at WCU

Appaholic
November 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
After decades of an attitude that lies somewhere between neglect and benign indifference, Western Carolina now seems to be taking a serious and proactive approach to its athletic department in general and football team, specifically.

Three changes — two firings and a resignation that would have been a firing — have occurred in the last 30 days, probably more short-term upheaval that any in the school’s checkered athletic history.

Firings and cajoling a resignation were the easy parts — recognizing incompetence wasn’t difficult when the evidence in Cullowhee was obvious and overwhelming.

Where effective leadership differs from just having the power to make changes is recognizing talent and convincing that talent to come work with you.

The temptation to hire quickly for both AD and football coach is there, with the clock ticking on a lost recruiting season.

But Belcher should not rush to judgment. WCU’s problems are too deep and numerous to be solved by signing a couple of three-star recruits in the next few weeks.

Getting it right is much more important than getting it done quickly.
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20111115/COLUMNISTS12/311150028/Firing-s-easy-part-WCU?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

Appaholic
November 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Agree. This is such a huge hire for WCU given the overrall changes looming in the not-so-distant future of SoCon football. App St & GSU possibly leaving and even if App St doesn't leave, there is the pending coaching change with Coach Moore retiring sooner rather than later. This hire has huge impacts on the future success of WCU football in SoCon and the school as a whole...good luck.

Smitty
November 15th, 2011, 08:36 AM
No kidding. I would rather take their time to find the right coach then just hire someone quickly.

asumike83
November 15th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I would like to see WCU get back to respectability. With Paul Johnson being a WCU grad, I'd be interested to see if they go looking in the PJ coaching tree. You'd think there would have to be some guys with SoCon ties that would love to get their first head coaching gig.

Appaholic
November 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I would like to see WCU get back to respectability. With Paul Johnson being a WCU grad, I'd be interested to see if they go looking in the PJ coaching tree. You'd think there would have to be some guys with SoCon ties that would love to get their first head coaching gig.

Or Mike Sewak....either way, they'd probably adopt the triple-option which may be their best bet, IMO. You need speed and athletic ability with triple-o as opposed to huge lineman....they could be successful in landing recruits from this area who aren't the largest or strongest but are fast and have athletic ability....NC mtn HS teams are loaded with those kinds of players...

Smitty
November 15th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Man I hate the option but if it gives us a chance to win I would probably be okay with it...

GSUhooligan
November 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Then we could change the name from the SoCon to the TOcon

The Eagle's Cliff
November 15th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I don't think offense is as much a problem for WCU as defense right now. The Pistol is capable and a little different, so they should stick with it and keep working it. Getting a coach who can motivate the players is the key. Everyone knows X's and O's and has capable athletes.

ASU_Fanatic
November 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Man I hate the option but if it gives us a chance to win I would probably be okay with it...Well I would hope you would be.

Mntneer
November 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I don't think offense is as much a problem for WCU as defense right now.

I'm not sure I agree with this based on the single data point of Apps game against WCU this past week. Their defense was far from great, but the offense was downright anemic, and that game could/should have easily been a shutout. Credit our D for some of that but still...