PDA

View Full Version : SNW: Non-Conference schedules critical for playoffs

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2006, 05:19 PM
More and more I-A opponents on schedules. Still a few non-Div I opponents as well. Matt D discusses how non conference schedules are critical to the playoffs.

Remember how Texas State was in OT and with a loss, would've not made the seven Div I wins last year? They had a great team and despite great results, that schedule could've bit them in the bud. OOC schedules are definitely one way we'll see who gets 'Woofed' in 2007...

Extra Point - Non-Conference schedules critical for playoffs

By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA - Most I-AA fans begin their search for information on the upcoming season when the preseason magazines hit the stores.

The interested observers will try to figure out the conference champions, top 25 and eventual playoff field from analysis by media writers and the pre-season conference polls. However, a simple look at non-conference schedules will give a better guide for the eventual postseason field than even the best preseason prognostication.

The work done by athletic directors in the winter and early spring, and even in previous years, will be more influential than ever for this year’s playoff picture. With more access to games against I-A opponents, I-AA teams are currently set to take on 77 I-A foes in 2006 after playing just over 50 a year ago.

The teams that take on multiple I-A opponents will get a nice payday, but may compromise their chances at an at-large playoff berth in the process. Only two I-AA teams knocked off a I-A foe in 2005, and the playoff selection committee places a strong emphasis on total Division I victories for playoff selection.

With that in mind, let’s take a general look at the non-conference schedules from the automatic bid conferences, and how those slates might affect the league’s chances of gaining at-large playoffs bids. Conferences are listed in order of the most playoff-friendly non-conference schedules.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4020039.htm

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM
FYI...

Matt D called SHSU, the "Bearcats"...what's up with that?!?

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Matt D ranked Hampton's schedule as the second softest out there. Remember last year when Hampton went undefeated? We all said they had a weak schedule? Not sure Hampton is helping the argument this year, even if they go undefeated, even with a win over Grambling...

Best of luck to Hampton this year, but your going to have to do much better out of conference if you want to gain respect, a possible better seed and even more home games for the Pirates come playoff time. These games won't get you ready for the playoffs (i.e 2005 playoffs)...

2. Hampton (vs Grambling, Central State, Winston-Salem State) - The Grambling game is good and playing eventual MEAC member Winston-Salem State is understandable, but the Pirates could have done better than second-year program Central State to fill out the non-conference schedule.

May 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Matt talked about this article on I-AA WAVES last Tuesday...

archive here:
5/9/06 I-AA WAVES Show (http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=89218)

jmuroller
May 13th, 2006, 05:31 PM
He must be racist.

May 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Matt D ranked Hampton's schedule as the second softest out there...
The Lightest - I-AA’s easiest non-conference schedules in 2006, relative to the team’s strength.
1. Delaware...

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM
The Lightest - I-AA’s easiest non-conference schedules in 2006, relative to the team’s strength.

If you want to be percieved as a good team, you should schedule teams that you'd like to think are on your level. Doesn't matter if your Texas State, Delaware, Hampton or whomever...

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 13th, 2006, 05:56 PM
More and more I-A opponents on schedules. Still a few non-Div I opponents as well. Matt D discusses how non conference schedules are critical to the playoffs.

Remember how Texas State was in OT and with a loss, would've not made the seven Div I wins last year? They had a great team and despite great results, that schedule could've bit them in the bud. OOC schedules are definitely one way we'll see who gets 'Woofed' in 2007...

Extra Point - Non-Conference schedules critical for playoffs

By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA - Most I-AA fans begin their search for information on the upcoming season when the preseason magazines hit the stores.

The interested observers will try to figure out the conference champions, top 25 and eventual playoff field from analysis by media writers and the pre-season conference polls. However, a simple look at non-conference schedules will give a better guide for the eventual postseason field than even the best preseason prognostication.

The work done by athletic directors in the winter and early spring, and even in previous years, will be more influential than ever for this year’s playoff picture. With more access to games against I-A opponents, I-AA teams are currently set to take on 77 I-A foes in 2006 after playing just over 50 a year ago.

The teams that take on multiple I-A opponents will get a nice payday, but may compromise their chances at an at-large playoff berth in the process. Only two I-AA teams knocked off a I-A foe in 2005, and the playoff selection committee places a strong emphasis on total Division I victories for playoff selection.

With that in mind, let’s take a general look at the non-conference schedules from the automatic bid conferences, and how those slates might affect the league’s chances of gaining at-large playoffs bids. Conferences are listed in order of the most playoff-friendly non-conference schedules.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4020039.htm

Should us beating ULM even matter anymore??? UC-Davis gets their cred for beating Stanford (who SHOULD have beaten ND and hung with USC for a bit). The last (worthy) 1-A team we beat was TCU in 2001 when they finished 6-6. The ULM's and the ULL's really aren't that special anymore.

And Ralph probably thinks I done lost my mind I bet, right??;)

TexasTerror
May 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Should us beating ULM even matter anymore??? UC-Davis gets their cred for beating Stanford (who SHOULD have beaten ND and hung with USC for a bit). The last (worthy) 1-A team we beat was TCU in 2001 when they finished 6-6. The ULM's and the ULL's really aren't that special anymore.

Hey, it's a I-A win! Very important too in the fact it shows ULM that they have no business being a I-A institution. Having I-A football has hurt the rest of their athletic program and losing to I-AAs doesn't help much either!

GeauxLions94
May 13th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Yeah TT, what's up with Bearcats??? :nono:

6. Texas State (Tarleton State, at Kentucky, Northern Colorado, at Southern Utah, Texas Southern) - With most of the Southland Conference teams scheduling themselves out of at-large consideration, Texas State could find itself in good position with three easy games against I-AA teams.

The Toughest - I-AA’s most difficult non-conference schedules in 2006, relative to the team’s strength.

2. Northwestern State (at Kansas, at Baylor, Delaware State, Arkansas- Monticello, at Mississippi) - Trips to Kansas, Baylor and Mississippi will probably go in the loss column, and the Demons host improving Delaware State.

3. Southeastern Louisiana (at New Mexico State, at Southern Mississippi, Jacksonville, at Texas Tech, Gardner-Webb) - The Lions have a chance to knock off New Mexico State and should win their games against I-AA opponents, but a schedule with three I-A teams will always be tough.

9. Sam Houston State (Arkansas-Monticello, at SMU, at Missouri State, at Texas, Central Arkansas) - The Bearcats could go 3-2 against this schedule, but the road trip to Missouri State is tough and the Texas game will be over early.

Beating the BCS - Three I-AA teams have knocked off BCS-level opponents in the past two seasons, including UC Davis’ 20-17 win at Stanford a year ago. This year, Appalachian State heads the group with a chance to take out a top I-A opponent (remember, UC Davis had the No. 2 position on this list a year ago). Even though it’s a BCS conference, I won’t include the average Big East as a "power" league.

8. Texas State at Kentucky (9/9) - Prevailing wisdom says Texas State takes a dive after enduring heavy graduation losses, but the taste of last year’s success could linger and a trip to a Kentucky team that finished 3-8 a year ago is not overly imposing.

10. Northwestern State at Mississippi (11/4) - Northwestern State’s defense lost some of its top contributors, but Mississippi only scored more than 20 points twice in a dismal 3-8 campaign in 2005. The Demons also have an advantage of playing late in the season when Mississippi could be out of the running for even a minor bowl berth.

Big-Time Mismatches - Of course, some I-AA teams don’t have a legitimate shot to come away with a win against a big-name program. Here are five games that figure to be over by halftime in 2006.

2. Sam Houston State at Texas (9/30) - Texas might not be the preseason pick for the national championship without Vince Young, but the Longhorns always have top five talent. Sam Houston State should be better in 2006, but it won’t matter here.

"Upset" Possibilities - Local and national media would call these games "upsets" if the I-AA team wins, but five teams should be confident heading into a very winnable I-A game.

3. Southeastern Louisiana at New Mexico State (8/31) - Hal Mumme left with his entire staff from Southeastern Louisiana to New Mexico State a year ago, and couldn’t even come up with one win. New Mexico State was 0-12 in 2005, and gave up 30 points or more in all but two games. Southeastern Louisiana’s passing game isn’t as explosive as it was during Mumme’s tenure, but the Lions are a trendy Southland sleeper pick with a more balanced team.

3rd Coast Tiger
May 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks Ralph for pointing out who the writer perceives as the #1 ranked team with the softest schedule. As this is evidence of TT's true feelings for some conferences (why point out the 2nd ranked team and not acknowledge the top ranked team?). :confused:

I'm sure there is a logical explanation why he did. *snicker*

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 13th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Yeah TT, what's up with Bearcats??? :nono:

6. Texas State (Tarleton State, at Kentucky, Northern Colorado, at Southern Utah, Texas Southern) - With most of the Southland Conference teams scheduling themselves out of at-large consideration, Texas State could find itself in good position with three easy games against I-AA teams.

The Toughest - I-AA’s most difficult non-conference schedules in 2006, relative to the team’s strength.

2. Northwestern State (at Kansas, at Baylor, Delaware State, Arkansas- Monticello, at Mississippi) - Trips to Kansas, Baylor and Mississippi will probably go in the loss column, and the Demons host improving Delaware State.

3. Southeastern Louisiana (at New Mexico State, at Southern Mississippi, Jacksonville, at Texas Tech, Gardner-Webb) - The Lions have a chance to knock off New Mexico State and should win their games against I-AA opponents, but a schedule with three I-A teams will always be tough.

9. Sam Houston State (Arkansas-Monticello, at SMU, at Missouri State, at Texas, Central Arkansas) - The Bearcats could go 3-2 against this schedule, but the road trip to Missouri State is tough and the Texas game will be over early.

Beating the BCS - Three I-AA teams have knocked off BCS-level opponents in the past two seasons, including UC Davis’ 20-17 win at Stanford a year ago. This year, Appalachian State heads the group with a chance to take out a top I-A opponent (remember, UC Davis had the No. 2 position on this list a year ago). Even though it’s a BCS conference, I won’t include the average Big East as a "power" league.

8. Texas State at Kentucky (9/9) - Prevailing wisdom says Texas State takes a dive after enduring heavy graduation losses, but the taste of last year’s success could linger and a trip to a Kentucky team that finished 3-8 a year ago is not overly imposing.

10. Northwestern State at Mississippi (11/4) - Northwestern State’s defense lost some of its top contributors, but Mississippi only scored more than 20 points twice in a dismal 3-8 campaign in 2005. The Demons also have an advantage of playing late in the season when Mississippi could be out of the running for even a minor bowl berth.

Big-Time Mismatches - Of course, some I-AA teams don’t have a legitimate shot to come away with a win against a big-name program. Here are five games that figure to be over by halftime in 2006.

2. Sam Houston State at Texas (9/30) - Texas might not be the preseason pick for the national championship without Vince Young, but the Longhorns always have top five talent. Sam Houston State should be better in 2006, but it won’t matter here.

"Upset" Possibilities - Local and national media would call these games "upsets" if the I-AA team wins, but five teams should be confident heading into a very winnable I-A game.

3. Southeastern Louisiana at New Mexico State (8/31) - Hal Mumme left with his entire staff from Southeastern Louisiana to New Mexico State a year ago, and couldn’t even come up with one win. New Mexico State was 0-12 in 2005, and gave up 30 points or more in all but two games. Southeastern Louisiana’s passing game isn’t as explosive as it was during Mumme’s tenure, but the Lions are a trendy Southland sleeper pick with a more balanced team.

Dear GeauxLions94,

On that note I would just like to ask one question...

WITH WHAT OFFENSE!!!!!!!....We have a Patchwork O-Line....Inconsistent WRs and a somewhat Green Qb (Meeks has played in 2 games I think). How on earth U think we can stay with the likes of Ole Miss, Baylor, and Kansas when we haven't necessary proven we can score against the likes of McNeese and Sam Houston?? Remember....The Purple Swarm can only do so much. The O has to score (somehow).

If U looking for us to upset a 1-A team, we'd have a Better shot at Baylor than we do Ole Miss. All I'm asking is that we start 2-2.

If we upset 2 1-A teams...I will shut my mouth and :bow: . No questions asked.

Sincerely,

Frosty The Snowbuff

MACHIAVELLI
May 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I can't decide who is worse Matt or Tony.

golionsgo
May 13th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Dear GeauxLions94,

WITH WHAT OFFENSE!!!!!!!....We have a Patchwork O-Line....Inconsistent WRs and a somewhat Green Qb (Meeks has played in 2 games I think). How on earth U think we can stay with the likes of Ole Miss, Baylor, and Kansas when we haven't necessary proven we can score against the likes of McNeese and Sam Houston?? Remember....The Purple Swarm can only do so much. The O has to score (somehow).

If U looking for us to upset a 1-A team, we'd have a Better shot at Baylor than we do Ole Miss. All I'm asking is that we start 2-2.

Sincerely,

Frosty The Snowbuff

I believe he was just cutting and pasting the article. But I'm sure the Demons will muster some offense from somewhere.

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Thanks Ralph for pointing out who the writer perceives as the #1 ranked team with the softest schedule. As this is evidence of TT's true feelings for some conferences (why point out the 2nd ranked team and not acknowledge the top ranked team?). :confused:

I'm sure there is a logical explanation why he did. *snicker*

Yes, it's called bringing up the annual point that Hampton fans gripe about the lack of respect that they get, but when you play a soft OOC, what do you expect? Two sub Div I teams (since WSSU is transitional) doesn't help much at all.

This is not how a team gains credibility. You can be undefeated all you want, but if your conference is not having a good year or is a step down from the rest, the OOC can prove that your team is legit. Hampton was undefeated, a tough task, but they were clearly over-rated. They didn't make any steps to improve that judgement with this schedule.

Glad to see your still busting out the race card. FYI, I am looking at possibly moving back into the world of HBCU after a school who knew of my work at another HBCU let me know they were thinking about me for a job. Definitely worth a look, though it'd be tough to leave a job I started in January because I don't want it to look like I'm going to bounce all over. Would have to really pull the carpet out from under me, but I would love to get into sports...:nod:

blackfordpu
May 14th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I can't believe we are not listed in the possible upset column. SMU is a winnable game for the Kats.

TxState_GO_CATS!
May 14th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I can't believe we are not listed in the possible upset column. SMU is a winnable game for the Kats.

my thoughts exactly...:nod:

TexasTerror
May 14th, 2006, 08:08 PM

I'd like to think so, but SMU is two different teams. They're a team that has beat (or been competitive with) some of the best in the C-USA (UTEP, Tulsa) and then on the other hand, they are a team that got drilled by the worst (Tulane)...

Depends, but SMU is on the move up. I'd not be surprised to see them bowl-bound...

GeauxLions94
May 15th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Dear GeauxLions94,

Sincerely,

Frosty The Snowbuff

Frosty ... I just did the ole Cut-and-Paste. Took out the scary parts from the other I-AA leagues ;) and just put in the stuff about the Southland. Send your complaints ....

Anyone wish to contribute from here

OL FU
May 15th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I thought it was a very very good article and on point about 99%.

However, I would like to point out one problem.

Appalachian State, Furman, Western Carolina and Wofford all have at least on challenging I-AA opponent, but none scheduled above their heads.

When considering ASU and FU, how do we schedule I-AA opponents above our heads:p :D

walliver
May 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM
When considering ASU and FU, how do we schedule I-AA opponents above our heads

By playing Wofford and Georgia Southern:D

OL FU
May 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
By playing Wofford and Georgia Southern:D

Wofford, Wofford, sounds familiar. NAIA right:D

Frosty The Snowbuff
May 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Frosty ... I just did the ole Cut-and-Paste. Took out the scary parts from the other I-AA leagues ;) and just put in the stuff about the Southland. Send your complaints ....

Anyone wish to contribute from here

I have none:bawling:. But I'm sure I'll find one during the season.

By da way...one of our QB's quit during the Spring so that cuts the QB competition down to 3 "Meeks still our #1 though"