PDA

View Full Version : Alabama vs. Georgia Southern

aust42
November 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I have a Alabama grad co-worker that I had to educate today. He insisted they were playing Georgia State this Saturday, the same team they did last year. I assured him they were'nt playing a brand new program but were playing a 1AA powerhouse Georgia Southern. He claims he has never heard of Georgia Southern. I also assured him that Georgia Southern will score more points on Alabama than anybody else on their schedule to date (14 by Arkansas). So we have bet and the loser buys lunch.

Come on Georgia Southern! Back my smack talk up.

gasoutherneagle
November 14th, 2011, 04:17 PM
WE'LL TRY NOT TO DISAPPOINT.

Grizalltheway
November 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I have a Alabama grad co-worker that I had to educate today. He insisted they were playing Georgia State this Saturday, the same team they did last year. I assured him they were'nt playing a brand new program but were playing a 1AA powerhouse Georgia Southern. He claims he has never heard of Georgia Southern. I also assured him that Georgia Southern will score more points on Alabama than anybody else on their schedule to date (14 by Arkansas). So we have bet and the loser buys lunch.

Don't see that happening. Like I said in another thread, I think Bama has way too much speed on defense to have any trouble with an option offense. xtwocentsx

heath
November 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Where are you taking him?......Honestly I can see GSU getting more than 14,but how close will it be?

I-16Bandit
November 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
That's a tough bet...

GATA_OneMoreTime
November 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Just wish the game could somehow come down to field goals. I'd take Mora every time.

Reign of Terrier
November 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Honestly, if Bama is beating the crap out of GSU, I'll be pulling for Alabama to bring more pain. But if GSU is in a position to win it, unlikely as it seems, I'll be rooting them

blueballs
November 14th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I can see this game being a battle of the benches in the second half due to the fact that both teams have so much to play for after this game and if that's the case all bets are off on how many points GSU will score.

asumike83
November 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I can see this game being a battle of the benches in the second half due to the fact that both teams have so much to play for after this game and if that's the case all bets are off on how many points GSU will score.

I'm not sure it will really matter. The Alabama back-ups would be starting for every team at the FCS level.

Eagle16
November 14th, 2011, 06:57 PM

In 2004 we put up more points (28) than any team UGA played that year. They went 10-2 and had one of the top SEC defenses that year.

All I'm saying is, the triple option has done it before and seeing how Bama is focused on Auburn...you might get lucky.

theasushow
November 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure it will really matter. The Alabama back-ups would be starting for every team at the FCS level.

And probably the back-ups of the back-ups.

eaglesrback
November 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Was that your thought when you guys went to the Big House?

1andDone
November 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Alabama is way better than that Michigan team. How does GSU plan on stopping Richardson, Lacy, and even Fowler?

Eaglesrus
November 14th, 2011, 07:57 PM
All I know is; Ala dam bama HERE WE COME. They're on the schedule so I think our boys will show up and give it their best shot. GO EAGLES!

GSU Eagle
November 14th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I don't know that we can stop them and I have doubts if we can move the ball very much. If we keep in within 30 points it will be considered a win by this GSU fan.

SpeedkingATL
November 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I will be hoping for a good showing by a SoCon team. Go get em Eaglets!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
All I can say is this, if GSU beats Alabama, then they get the No. 1 seed.

GSU Eagle
November 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Forget #1 seed, we would be in the top 10 in the BCS.

crossfire07
November 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Saban is not one to run up the score but he does not have a problem letting go of the reigns on his defense. Only 1 team has scored 14 points on bama's D all year and I don't think there is an FCS team in the country that could put 14 on them on their worst day.

SouthernMan
November 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Honestly, if Bama is beating the crap out of GSU, I'll be pulling for Alabama to bring more pain. But if GSU is in a position to win it, unlikely as it seems, I'll be rooting them

Honestly when we destroyed your return team with the onsides kick in the fourth quarter, I was hoping that we would bring more pain....or at least give Mora a shot to put three more points on the board. But alas, our coaching staff has more moxy than I.

dgtw
November 14th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Alabama has a highly recruited backup quarterback. He has played very little this year and he'll likely get a chance to show what he can do in the second half.

asumike83
November 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
If this were opening day and Alabama was still working out the kinks, GSU could have a decent shot to at least make it interesting. In Tuscaloosa on Senior Day against an Alabama defense giving up 7.1 PPG?

If they get on the board, it will be an accomplishment and I do not say that as a dig at GSU. That defense is amazing.

frozennorth
November 14th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Penn states awful offense put up 11.

apaladin
November 14th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Don't know about that. The year before Auburn won it all they were killing Furman at the half and rested their starters for most of if not all of the second half and FU outscored them 28-14.

apaladin
November 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
If the GSU option attack isn't working they can always go to their passing game. Just sayin'

bonarae
November 15th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Alabama will dominate the Eagles throughout. Note that their defense gives up little each game. Georgia Southern will have a hard time putting up points on the board with the Tide's very dominant defense. xsmhx

BoroNative
November 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
William Wallace is 7 foot tall!

Yeah, and if he were here he'd consume the English by shooting fire balls from his ***!

Come'on guys, I know they have size and speed, but they are 18 - 23 year old guys just like the Eagles, and they can only play 11 at a time, just like the Eagles. If anyone wants to rollover and play dead, they have no heart.

phoenix3
November 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Not to throw cold water on this conversation, BUT, I just hope GSU returns to Statesboro with no serious injuries so you can make a deep run into the playoffs!

GaSouthern
I think they will probably kick our arse, I also believe with all my heart that is is possible for this years GSU team to beat Alabama this saturday and while it's not what I expect, it's what i'm hoping for!

GaSouthern
Not to throw cold water on this conversation, BUT, I just hope GSU returns to Statesboro with no serious injuries so you can make a deep run into the playoffs!

For the most part, that is what our fans wish as well.

darell1976
I would give anything to have Georgia Southern upset Alabama and Nick Satan...I mean Saban. GO GSU!!!!

introvertedGSUfan
November 15th, 2011, 08:35 AM

Yep. I hope the boys show up strong on Saturday, but I also hope that Monken will put the second and third string in if the game is obviously out of reach by halftime.

Laserlips
November 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
JMOfartO:

Well, I want our Eagles to win of course... But if I were wishing for a GaSouthern win against Alabama in one hand, and pooping in the other hand, I know which hand would fill up first.

Having said that, I do have a great deal of respect for Coach Monken and his staff, and I honestly believe our Eagle players have no "quit" in them... So, I expect Alabama will win on Saturday, by a comfortable margin, but I also expect AFTER the game THOSE Alabama players will have respect for our Eagles.

So, keeping reality in focus I hope after the game on Saturday all of the Georgia Southern players come home healthy, and the $900.000, (or whatever number it actually is) we are paid for this potential whipping is worth it when all factors are taken into consideration..

I would comment that "whoever" is responsible for making the schedule each season must have been on drugs, or needed to be on drugs because we really should have played this game EARLY in the season, not as the last game when we need to go into the playoff's healthy.xnonox

I DO believe our Eagles will score more than 14 points on Saturday... xnodx

Just my 2c.

Jesse

bluehenbillk
November 15th, 2011, 08:52 AM
GSU will be the slowest team Alabama has seen all year. Tack on the facts that they're highly one-dimensional and the fact that Alabama can't suffer any "style points" with voters & the BCS his equates to an ugly affair. If GSU scores more than 3 points in this game it'll be in the second half & it'll be deep into Alabama's defensive depth chart.

SpeedkingATL
November 15th, 2011, 09:11 AM
GSU will be the slowest team Alabama has seen all year. Tack on the facts that they're highly one-dimensional and the fact that Alabama can't suffer any "style points" with voters & the BCS his equates to an ugly affair. If GSU scores more than 3 points in this game it'll be in the second half & it'll be deep into Alabama's defensive depth chart.

Unfortunately for GaSo you are correct. With Bama at #3 in the BCS they will want all the style points possible to not drop any lower and that defense is a monster. GaSo will give there best.

GATA_OneMoreTime
November 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I don't think Alabama will pick up much in the way of style points if they do what everyone expects them to. The only thing that will hurt them is a close game or a loss. Saban isn't one to run up scores either. But we'll see how it shakes out.

Rekdiver
November 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
We got our cookies handed to us by LSU tow years ago. The size and speed of these teams in the SEC is like nothing you will see. I wish you well though and with playoffs looming its not worth getting anyone hurt.

Laserlips
November 15th, 2011, 09:52 AM
FWIW,

Actually, Georgia Southern is in a pretty good "bad" place to be.

Nobody (except dyed in the wool Eagle lovers, such as myself) give the Eagles a chance... Not just NO chance to actually win the game on Saturday, but no chance to score, no ability to stop the awesome Alabama machine from scoring at will, and so on...:o

In other words everyone not associated with the Georgia Southern University and the football program expects a lot out of Alabama and zilch out of Georgia Southern.

So, WHATEVER our Eagles accomplish on Saturday will be a surprise to most of you, and I believe our Eagles will show up, and do as good a job of playing football against the Alabama team as many other teams in THAT Division have done so far this season.

My boldness stops at this, I do believe our Eagles will score at least 14 points on Alabama Saturday.. Do I think we have a prayer of winning? Not really, but neither would the Alabama football team win against a leading professional football team..

So, I'm hoping first for NO injuries to our Eagles, and then everything else is gravy...

I don't think any team in OUR division will be taking our Eagles, in the playoffs, as lightly as I'm sure Alabama will be on Saturday.xnodx

So, keep your fingers crossed for no injuries for our players, and the more respectful the showing next Saturday the better it looks for OUR division ~ to ALL teams in our division..

No offense to anyone, just spouting off as old semi-senile farts xcrazyxare akin to do from time to time.

Jesse

apaladin
November 15th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I don't think Alabama will pick up much in the way of style points if they do what everyone expects them to. The only thing that will hurt them is a close game or a loss. Saban isn't one to run up scores either. But we'll see how it shakes out.

It doesn't matter if Alabama wins by one or 50 because the BCS is such a screwed up system. Margin of victory factor was taken out years ago. It could hurt them in the human polls but the one-third that's the computer is the one that matters. They can make the figures say anything they want.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2011, 10:08 AM
For the most part, that is what our fans wish as well.

This. (These?)

Eaglesrus
November 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM

You're probably right, and if that's what happens I'll be fine with it. Just as others have said, main hope for me is to come out of it free of serious injury, then take the money and run. Looking forward to seeing game day at Bryant-Denney first-hand!

dgtw
November 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I would love nothing more than to see a team from the "lowly" southern conference walk into an SEC stadium and deliver a beat down on a team that recently won a national championship.Thus, despite how unlikely it may be, I am pulling with all my might for Samford on Saturday.

Roll Tide!!!!!!!

Good luck in the playoffs, Eagles.

eaglemachine
November 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM

FYI, we are not as one dimensional as last year when we played you guys. We have several games this year where we passed for 100+ yards.

Hammerhead
November 15th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I would be surprised if GSU scores more than 10 points if Alabama keeps the pedal to the metal on defense. If the score is 56-3 at the end of the 3rd quarter, GSU will probably score some points against the bench warmers in garbage time.

straightshooter
November 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
You're probably right, and if that's what happens I'll be fine with it. Just as others have said, main hope for me is to come out of it free of serious injury, then take the money and run. Looking forward to seeing game day at Bryant-Denney first-hand!

Actually GSU will have equal or greater speed than North Texas or Kent State, and they'll probably play Bama tougher than Ole Miss did this season. GSU is ranked well above those three schools in the latest Sagarin ratings.

seantaylor
November 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM
GSU is much faster on offense than a number of teams Bama has played.

asumike83
November 15th, 2011, 11:47 AM
My boldness stops at this, I do believe our Eagles will score at least 14 points on Alabama Saturday

I know that you guys looked very good against Wofford last weekend, but GSU scored 17 against us and 14 at home against The Citadel. I'm just not sure how anyone could be confident that you'll put up 14 in Tuscaloosa. I honestly hope I am wrong though, good luck to you.

Laserlips
November 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I know that you guys looked very good against Wofford last weekend, but GSU scored 17 against us and 14 at home against The Citadel. I'm just not sure how anyone could be confident that you'll put up 14 in Tuscaloosa. I honestly hope I am wrong though, good luck to you.

asumike:

IF the Georgia Southern team that played App State and the Citadel show up Saturday in Alabama you are probably correct.

IF, however, the team that played Wofford last Saturday shows up I honestly believe our Eagles have the CAPABILITY of scoring two TD's on Alabama and I would not be surprised if Mora kicks a field goal or two.

I hope Mora was not hurt last week by the cheap shot late from the Terrier player extremely late in the game last week, but I've heard nothing to that effect, so hopefully he'll be good to go.

My personal goal for our Eagles is NO INJURIES, and then 14+ points for us on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

I'll be happy with just the first part.. xthumbsupx

Best Wishes,

Jesse

eaglewraith
November 15th, 2011, 12:04 PM

I've watched every down of football that we've played this year. Those two games were anomalies. We have not played that bad since the first half of the Samford game. If we'd played at the same level against App that we did against Wofford, we'd still be #1 and undefeated right now.

GSUhooligan
November 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
One thing that has been understated throughout the season is the immeasurable value of Laron Scott's kickoff returns and the resulting field position. I think if we can get some decent returns out of him that start us out on our own 40 or better, we've got a good chance of at least getting some field goals.

paytonlives
November 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Whoever scheduled this game should be shot...

Ga. Southern will get creamed and drop 4-6 spots in the rankings.

Even worse was #24 Furman scheduling Florida on the last weekend of the season. They have to beat Florida to get in, a 6-5 team... nope.

straightshooter
November 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Georgia Southern will not drop in the rankings for losing to Alabama. In fact their Sagarin rating will go up significantly.

paytonlives
November 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
ALSO, Ga Southern and Montana are very similar teams (record and ranking).

Tennesee, (an also ran) put 42 up on UM. Alabama is light years better then Tennesee, Beat Tenn by 28.

If Alabama wants to they will score 70.

paytonlives
November 15th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Every other team has dropped, why not Ga. Southern after a 56-6 thrashing?

I-16Bandit
November 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I think they will probably kick our arse, I also believe with all my heart that is is possible for this years GSU team to beat Alabama this saturday and while it's not what I expect, it's what i'm hoping for!

I don't know... They might miss.

Baldy
November 15th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Every other team has dropped, why not Ga. Southern after a 56-6 thrashing?
Wrong again.

Skjellyfetti
November 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Ga. Southern will get creamed and drop 4-6 spots in the rankings.

Maybe. But, it really doesn't matter. The playoff committee doesn't use polls to seed teams or anything. The playoff committee has also said that FBS losses do not hurt you... Georgia Southern's seed won't be hurt at all, no matter how badly they get beat.

blueballs
November 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Maybe. But, it really doesn't matter. The playoff committee doesn't use polls to seed teams or anything. The playoff committee has also said that FBS losses do not hurt you... Georgia Southern's seed won't be hurt at all, no matter how badly they get beat.

I think you're right... Didn't App get crushed at UF in the final regular season game last year and still get the top seed?

asumike83
November 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I think you're right... Didn't App get crushed at UF in the final regular season game last year and still get the top seed?

I think we may have been the #2 seed but I could be wrong. In any event, it did not hurt our seeding at all and that UF team was nowhere near the caliber of what y'all will see this weekend. You could lose 75-0 and still get a seed.

GATA_OneMoreTime
November 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
My prediction? Corso dons the Gus head on gameday! GATA Eagles!

GSUhooligan
November 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I think we may have been the #2 seed but I could be wrong. In any event, it did not hurt our seeding at all and that UF team was nowhere near the caliber of what y'all will see this weekend. You could lose 75-0 and still get a seed.

Ya'll were the #1 seed, W&M was the #2

dgtw
November 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
One thing that has been understated throughout the season is the immeasurable value of Laron Scott's kickoff returns and the resulting field position. I think if we can get some decent returns out of him that start us out on our own 40 or better, we've got a good chance of at least getting some field goals.

Bama has had problems with kickoff covergae this year so he could have a chance to break one. Also, I'd put him in the end zone when Bama is kicking field goals. He'd have a chance to run it out if it is missed.

gasoutherneagle
November 15th, 2011, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7GTiLzktK0

YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS! I'm sure someone has probably posted this already... but, it's funny as hell.

GATA_OneMoreTime
November 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
http://youtube/w7GTiLzktK0

YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS! I'm sure someone has probably posted this already... but, it's funny as hell.
Link didn't work for me

gasoutherneagle
November 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
How bout now?

UNHFan
November 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I am from this point on?? The biggest G Southern fan! Guys please!!! Make us proud!!!

I am sure all you Southern Conference fans no more then me but man just a good showing will further the cause!

I will be watching this like I was born and raised in Georgia!!!xbowx

UNHFan
November 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Wow!! What a great post!

straightshooter
November 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM
That clip needs to be posted on www.tidefans.com. They'd be roaring if they heard that. Most over there are predicting that Bama will shut us out.

I-16Bandit
November 15th, 2011, 07:46 PM
That clip needs to be posted on www.tidefans.com. They'd be roaring if they heard that. Most over there are predicting that Bama will shut us out.

Because they probably will?

bojeta
November 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Don't see that happening. Like I said in another thread, I think Bama has way too much speed on defense to have any trouble with an option offense. xtwocentsx

Ya.... I mean, come on..... Bama basically shut down LSU's offense!!! Does anyone seriously think they'll let Georgia Southern score more than a field goal??? I'm an FCS fan even when going against my Crimson Tide (live in CA, but born in Bama) so I really hope I'm wrong. I would love to see the Eagles win this one if humanly possible. Gooooo Eagles!!!

straightshooter
November 15th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Ya.... I mean, come on..... Bama basically shut down LSU's offense!!! Does anyone seriously think they'll let Georgia Southern score more than a field goal??? I'm an FCS fan even when going against my Crimson Tide (live in CA, but born in Bama) so I really hope I'm wrong. I would love to see the Eagles win this one if humanly possible. Gooooo Eagles!!!

The only good positive yardage LSU got was when they ran option plays.

bojeta
November 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM

Good point!

penguinpower
November 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Much respect for Ga Southern. Hopefully you guys will catch them unprepared and be able to show them you mean business. Just don't get injured before the playoffs.

Hope we get in the playoffs. I would love to see a rematch in a playoff game. Penguins are a dangerous team right now. Still really young, but dangerous.

asumike83
November 15th, 2011, 09:49 PM

I think it's safe to say that LSU has a little bit more speed to get the edges on their option plays than GSU. The problem I see is that the 'Bama speed will cut off the edges, forcing you guys to run right at them. God speed, Eagles.

Reign of Terrier
November 15th, 2011, 09:57 PM
In rode the 300.....

seantaylor
November 16th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I think it's safe to say that LSU has a little bit more speed to get the edges on their option plays than GSU. The problem I see is that the 'Bama speed will cut off the edges, forcing you guys to run right at them. God speed, Eagles.

Umm, no. They don't run the option. Maybe their QB is faster, but that is about it. We execute faster in our base than they ever would in a gimmick play they aren't familiar with.

I say it again, Alabama is overrated. Their D is good, but their O is not. The SEC is way down this year. Only two elite teams, and another just below. And a bunch of substitute teachers. The East champ was destroyed on their home turf by Boise.

GSUsTALON
November 16th, 2011, 05:42 AM

Its not speed that kills the Spread Triple Option attack its the ability of Bama's front four and LBs to penetrate the line of scrimmage and disrupt the option in the backfeild before it gets started.

View of GSU game from the perspective of a Bama writer

"In the case of Georgia Southern, the Eagles have received a vote for the AP top 25 this week, and find themselves ranked in the top 100 in the BCS. This is not Georgia State of 2010, a program just getting started; this is a Division-IAA powerhouse that could win a national championship in its division".

http://news.tidefans.com/2011/11/16/gsu-preview-alabama-may-face-tougher-task-than-some-realize/

eaglewraith
November 16th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Its not speed that kills the Spread Triple Option attack its the ability of Bama's front four and LBs to penetrate the line of scrimmage and disrupt the option in the backfeild before it gets started.

"In the case of Georgia Southern, the Eagles have received a vote for the AP top 25 this week, and find themselves ranked in the top 100 in the BCS. This is not Georgia State of 2010, a program just getting started; this is a Division-IAA powerhouse that could win a national championship in its division".

http://news.tidefans.com/2011/11/16/gsu-preview-alabama-may-face-tougher-task-than-some-realize/

In Bama's case it would be front 3. Maybe back when they had Terrence Cody you could have counted him as 2 guys.

Eaglesrus
November 16th, 2011, 07:31 AM

I'm not sure whether to thank or curse the writer that you quoted for pointing out that we aren't GA State. Might be nice to sneak in with them thinking that we're the same team that they ripped last year.

appfan2008
November 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM

to be honest it could happen late in the fourth quarter... when bama pulls off the dogs (or elephants) once they are up 60!

appfan2008
November 16th, 2011, 07:38 AM

pretty sweet... great street cred for you guys...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 16th, 2011, 07:50 AM

People always talk about the speed of a defense and how it's such a problem for the option. Fast linebackers and safeties are not the problem. The problem is when you have really big and athletic defensive lines that are able to disrupt and break up plays in the backfield. This works in our favor against Bama. Not to say their DL isn't good, but the strong point of their defense is the secondary and linebackers.

Bama's offense is certainly nothing special overall, either. If I was betting I'd certainly take the under on the 34 point favorite here.

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Umm, no. They don't run the option. Maybe their QB is faster, but that is about it. We execute faster in our base than they ever would in a gimmick play they aren't familiar with.

I say it again, Alabama is overrated. Their D is good, but their O is not. The SEC is way down this year. Only two elite teams, and another just below. And a bunch of substitute teachers. The East champ was destroyed on their home turf by Boise.

You are completely correct, LSU's offense is nothing compared to what 'Bama will see on Saturday. Now that I think about it, Georgia Southern should probably be about a 6-point favorite. Will the rest of the SoCon teams get any portion of your BCS money?

bigchocolate
November 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Eagles good luck this weekend against the Tide. Scheduling 'Bama this late in the season will not be pretty. They are one of the most physical team on the college level. Your team is good enough to challenge for the FCS National...I pray that your coaches will pull your starters early. This game will be very ugly 50 + point margin ugly. The margin will not reflect the championship type team that you have...it will reflect a defense that will have to play 70 to 80 (maybe more) downs. The Baltimore Raven Defense would give up tons of points after so many cycles. Good luck.... Hopefully your coaches and staff will not get too caught up in the hype and allow you the chance to win this years FCS Championship.... live to battle another day! Good luck eages!xpeacex

SpeedkingATL
November 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM
It officially "SoCon Fundraiser Week"

Furman @ Florida
Georgia Southern @ Alabama
Citadel @ South Carolina
Samford @ Auburn

Go get em SoCon!!

Eaglesrus
November 16th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Eagles good luck this weekend against the Tide. Scheduling 'Bama this late in the season will not be pretty. They are one of the most physical team on the college level. Your team is good enough to challenge for the FCS National...I pray that your coaches will pull your starters early. This game will be very ugly 50 + point margin ugly. The margin will not reflect the championship type team that you have...it will reflect a defense that will have to play 70 to 80 (maybe more) downs. The Baltimore Raven Defense would give up tons of points after so many cycles. Good luck.... Hopefully your coaches and staff will not get too caught up in the hype and allow you the chance to win this years FCS Championship.... live to battle another day! Good luck eages!xpeacex

I have no delusions about this game, but my hope is that you're a little overly pessimistic about us in that statement. I won't be surprised if we don't score, but my hope is that our defense will keep it slightly more respectable than that. Thanks for the good luck wish, we'll obviously need it.

bleedblue
November 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I would bet GSU has more turnovers than points. 3 points and 4 turnovers.

I-16Bandit
November 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Son of a *****.

Never thought of this, but this could very well happen.

soweagle
November 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Furman @ Florida
Citadel @ South Carolina
Samford @ Auburn

Go get em SoCon!!

Good one!

blueballs
November 16th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Furman @ Florida
Citadel @ South Carolina
Samford @ Auburn

Go get em SoCon!!

Danged if that doesn't about sum it up...

blueballs
November 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM

God I hope not... the fact that it has now been mentioned here means it won't be overlooked if it comes to pass. LOL

Jacked_Rabbit
November 16th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Not sure if the line has been posted yet, but for what it's worth, Alabama is favored by 40 1/2...

GSC75
November 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Not sure if the line has been posted yet, but for what it's worth, Alabama is favored by 40 1/2...

HOLY.....!!! 401 to 2!!

I-16Bandit
November 16th, 2011, 12:50 PM
HOLY.....!!! 401 to 2!!

I believe it.

:D

proasu89
November 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM
QUOTE=UNHFan;1724210]I am from this point on?? The biggest G Southern fan! Guys please!!! Make us proud!!!

I am sure all you Southern Conference fans no more then me but man just a good showing will further the cause!

I will be watching this like I was born and raised in Georgia!!!xbowx[/QUOTE]

Shirtless, on your couch on the front porch? xsmiley_wix

I-16Bandit
November 16th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Got to knock out some of your teeth too, make some ****ty moonshine to sip on(gets the job done, though), and have your shotgun at your side.

Straw hat and dip is a plus.

proasu89
November 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Got to knock out some of your teeth too, make some ****ty moonshine to sip on(gets the job done, though), and have your shotgun at your side.

Straw hat and dip is a plus.

If you're goin to do it then do it right! xthumbsupx

Good luck and hope ya'll come home healthy.

GSU Eagle
November 16th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I would hope we could play them to within 30. If we do that then it counts as a win for the Eagles as far as I am concerned.

I have watched Alabama play several times this year on TV and our offense certainly has played no one close to the size and speed of Alabama. I am concerned about being able to move the ball at all.

1andDone
November 16th, 2011, 08:38 PM
If you get the ball first go deep

dgtw
November 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
The game is on Pay Per View. I'm not sure how you go about ordering it or if you can even get it on Georgia cable systems, but a little googling should find that out for you.

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2011, 09:55 PM
16242......'BAMA....WILL BE RESTIN' FO'...AUBURN......DUH IGGLES...WILL GET SOME 4TH Q...GARBAGE.......xnodx......AWQ!

Gringer1
November 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM
And the Eagles will be resting for the playoffs. 2nd string versus 2nd string would still make any GSU effort legit.

UNHFan
November 17th, 2011, 01:39 AM
QUOTE=UNHFan;1724210]I am from this point on?? The biggest G Southern fan! Guys please!!! Make us proud!!!

I will be watching this like I was born and raised in Georgia!!!xbowx

Shirtless, on your couch on the front porch? xsmiley_wix[/QUOTE]

Can buy and sell everyone on this site combined... I have more Cars then both of you have teeth! xlolxxlolx

MR. CHICKEN
November 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM
And the Eagles will be resting for the playoffs. 2nd string versus 2nd string would still make any GSU effort legit.

16243.........WHAA REST...xconfusedx....YA'LL GETTAH BYE WEEK.....WEEK AFTERAH..................AWK?

GaSouthern
November 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
As long as bama does not go triple digits on us I see no reason why we will not have a bye week so yeah, we should get plenty of rest.

Laserlips
November 17th, 2011, 09:30 AM
JMOfartO:

Well, I'm old and prejudiced in favor of my Georgia Southern Eagles, so I'll have to say I think our team will score a couple of touchdowns. Probably AFTER Alabama pulls their first string, but still we should get a couple somewhere along the line.. I would not be surprised if Adrain Mora didn't make a field goal or two as well.

Do I think, realistically, that we have a Gnat's patoot in heck of winning the game? Uh.. Well, Grandma told me not to lie, so I'd have to say probably not. (The word "probably" inserted by my heart not my head).

But I WILL say I think my Georgia Southern Eagles will do as well, or better, against the Alabama Crimson Tide football team on Saturday as ANY other team in OUR Division would..

Actually the "bar" is set pretty low for our Eagles anyway.

NOBODY "expects" us to win, and most Bama fans don't think we'll even score a touchdown. IF we manage to score more than 14 points we'll be doing better than any opponent that Alabama has faced this season.

So, my personal goal for the game, (after the one where Coach Monken pulls our 1st string after we go up by 3 td's) is to score more than 14 points, incur no serious injuries in the process, and when our team gets back to Statesboro safely we don't find $400,000.00 in Confederate money in the bag...

Actually, the NO SERIOUS INJURY part to any of our players is the most important. xprayxxprayx

No doubt the Alabama team our Georgia Southern Eagles will be facing on Saturday are awesome... No doubt our players have their work cut out for them, but I'll guarantee you one thing, our Eagles will "show up", do the best they can, and I'll be proud of their effort, no matter the final score..

GATA !

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_0217_01.jpg

Blue Eagle
November 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Much respect for Ga Southern. Hopefully you guys will catch them unprepared and be able to show them you mean business. Just don't get injured before the playoffs.

Hope we get in the playoffs. I would love to see a rematch in a playoff game. Penguins are a dangerous team right now. Still really young, but dangerous.

I have alot of respect for YSU. In fact, I saw the Penguins win their first National Championship. Those were some great teams in the nineties!

Based on what I have read the Penguins remind me of the Ga. Southern team of last year. A rematch in the National Championship Game would be great!

Good luck to the Penguins

kdinva
November 17th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have a Alabama grad co-worker that I had to educate today. He insisted they were playing Georgia State this Saturday, the same team they did last year. I assured him they were'nt playing a brand new program but were playing a 1AA powerhouse Georgia Southern. He claims he has never heard of Georgia Southern.......

sounds like he works for ESPN. xnonono2x

proasu89
November 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
[/I]

Can buy and sell everyone on this site combined... I have more Cars then both of you have teeth! xlolxxlolx[/QUOTE]

You were the one that said "you were going to be watching it like you were raised in Jawja!" Just trying to help you get the total experiencexlolx

Blueandwhitefightfight
November 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I don't get what is so bad about watching the game on the couch on the porch. We have a couch on the porch. 2 of them actually. Along with a kegerator, grill, and a 52" flatscreen.

Sadly, I will be at the lake house watching the game. On the deck. With the bar, grill, kegerator, and a bunch of fine ladies. There is a 100% chance my bow tie and then shirt will come off at some point in the day.

Yes, I'm from Georgia. Born n' raised. Damn proud of it, too.

I'd invite y'all but you damn yankees are probably too uppity to be able to have a good time. Have fun in your igloos, parent's basement, or miniature viewing areas you call "stadiums". You just don't know what you're missing out on.

Mr. C
November 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Here is a good link to a story by Don Heath of the Savannah Morning News on Georgia Southern's history against FBS opponents:

http://savannahnow.com/sports/2011-11-16/stepping-gsu-readies-big-challenge-alabama#.TsXCwWBX54s

bojeta
November 17th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Furman @ Florida
Citadel @ South Carolina
Samford @ Auburn

Go get em SoCon!!

So.... what are we talking about??? 2 million dollar payday for the SoCon?

SF State Gaters
November 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Go FCS beat FBS

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I think Furman has an equal shot at beating an SEC team this weekend.

Sadly I think citadel has no shot at beating USC since they already played Navy.