18. Jackson State 8-2 198 18
19. Central Arkansas 8-3 155 25
20. James Madison 6-4 150 19
21. Tennessee Tech 6-3 147 20
22. North Dakota 7-3 119 22
23. Indiana State 6-4 102 23
24. South Dakota 6-4 71 24
25. Norfolk State 9-2 63 NR
Others receiving votes: Portland State (35); Furman (31); Youngstown State (19); Drake (18); San Diego (18); Jacksonville State (17); William & Mary (11); Brown (9); Jacksonville (9); Stony Brook (9); Southern Utah (9); Florida A&M (8); Eastern Washington (4); Alabama State (3); Eastern Kentucky (3); Albany (1); Cal Poly (1); Stephen F. Austin (1).

GSUhooligan
November 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I like this one the best, but agree with it the least.

Team (No. 1 Votes) 2011 Record Points Previous Ranking
6. Lehigh 9-1 559 6
16. Liberty 7-3 291 14
18. Jackson State 8-2 198 18
22. North Dakota 7-3 119 22
24. South Dakota 6-4 71 24

Too High.

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Wait UND and USD both still ranked but Youngstown is on the outside looking in?

FargoBison
November 14th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Wait UND and USD both still ranked but Youngstown is on the outside looking in?

Poll voters clearly don't look at team's body work...just the record and last week's results.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
The four DI teams UND has beaten are....UCD, UNC, SUU and Drake. That is it.
The three DI teams USD has beaten are....SUU, EWU and UCD.

LehighU11
November 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Really? ODU at 9 and Towson (beat ODU on road) at 10? Towson should be at 5. Don't think Lehigh is over-ranked. Certainly deserves 8th or higher.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
What do Towson and Maine have to do to get under 10 in the coaches poll. Insert Richmond, Delaware, Villanova, William & Mary or Massachusetts with the same record and they are dropping other teams out of the top 5.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Really? ODU at 9 and Towson (beat ODU on road) at 10? Towson should be at 5. Don't think Lehigh is over-ranked. Certainly deserves 8th or higher.

The voters of this poll do not consider a team's overall body of work.....NDSU beat UNI, Towson beat ODU, Wofford beat App State, USD/UND/Harvard/Jackson State have beaten nobody.

darell1976
November 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
The four DI teams UND has beaten are....UCD, UNC, SUU and Drake. That is it.
The three DI teams USD has beaten are....SUU, EWU and UCD.

These wins were on the road which is nice to see, where USD has yet to win on the road. But both teams shouldn't be ranked YSU should have UND's spot at least.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM
NDSU... is ranked one spot above Lehigh. Absolutely no way. I've seen NDSU twice this year and Lehigh four times.

UIWWildthing
November 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
LOL @ ODU over Towson

TTUEagles
November 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Okay, I know no one cares, and I admit TTU is still too high at 21. But, how do you go on the road and beat conference-leading EKU - who was ranked - and drop one spot?

No_Skill
November 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
NDSU... is ranked one spot above Lehigh. Absolutely no way. I've seen NDSU twice this year and Lehigh four times.

Please elaborate. I think I know what you mean, but I hate guessing in these situations.

heath
November 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
sad thing is that I can see the committee using this poll to award seeds and pair playoff teams

heath
November 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM
assuming Montana St wins this weekend,your top 5 seeds could be 1-5 from this poll

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Poll voters clearly don't look at team's body work...just the record and last week's results.
Even with that YSU has a giant advantage over USD and UND.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Please elaborate. I think I know what you mean, but I hate guessing in these situations.

NDSU is too good to be ranked fifth, but I am mainly alluding to Lehigh's very inflated ranking. We play them next week and I've seen them in person three times. Their defense and running games are nowhere as near as fast or physical.

LEHIGH61
November 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Like Northern Iowa last year. Chuckle, chuckle

LEHIGH61
November 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
fart4life, go home to mommy. Oops, I meant PARD,.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Ha!

Lehigh will beat lowly Lafayette by about 5 tds

Watch NDSU physically pound Minnesota on replay. Then try and imagine Lehigh on the same field as Minnesota. Right.

I'm sure Lehigh could give NDSU a game though.

Srdnaty
November 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Towson > ODU

gotts
November 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Better yet try watching how unranked Youngstown pounded NDSU just a few days ago.

What is, a topic that's been beat to death?

I'll take Potpourri for $800, please.

lehighfball
November 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
NDSU is too good to be ranked fifth, but I am mainly alluding to Lehigh's very inflated ranking. We play them next week and I've seen them in person three times. Their defense and running games are nowhere as near as fast or physical.

NDSU is ranked fifth and rightfully so. The loss to unranked Youngstown this late in the season is uncalled for. It shouldn't happen. It's equivalent to Lehigh losing to unranked Lafayette this week.

UNIFanSince1983
November 14th, 2011, 05:18 PM
NDSU is ranked fifth and rightfully so. The loss to unranked Youngstown this late in the season is uncalled for. It shouldn't happen. It's equivalent to Lehigh losing to unranked Lafayette this week.

That is false. Youngstown is far and away better than Lafayette. If Lehigh loses to Lafayette this weekend that would be far less excusable. If that happens you can bet Lehigh will drop to somewhere in the 20s. NDSU losing to WIU would be closer to Lehigh losing to Lafayette, and then they would deserve to drop quite a bit lower.

Either way I don't think either is going to happen.

lehighfball
November 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
That is false. Youngstown is far and away better than Lafayette. If Lehigh loses to Lafayette this weekend that would be far less excusable. If that happens you can bet Lehigh will drop to somewhere in the 20s. NDSU losing to WIU would be closer to Lehigh losing to Lafayette, and then they would deserve to drop quite a bit lower.

Either way I don't think either is going to happen.

Youngstown might be better than Lafayette, but they are still unranked. A number one team this late in the season can't lose to them without dropping, and I think 5th is fair. Lehigh losing to Lafayette would definitely take them out of the top ten.

semobison
November 14th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Youngstown might be better than Lafayette, but they are still unranked. A number one team this late in the season can't lose to them without dropping, and I think 5th is fair. Lehigh losing to Lafayette would definitely take them out of the top ten.

Thats why these polls are crap! Youngstown goes on the road and leads UNI until the last two minutes! Next week they go on the road and beat #1! Earlier this season they were down 1 at half to Michigan State. They should be 15-20! These polls are crap!

Engineer86
November 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I like this one the best, but agree with it the least.

Too High.

How do you say Lehigh at 9-1 is too high, but have no issue with SHSU at 10-0 at #3. As an SHSU fan asked me last night, have you seen Lehigh play? Or are you basing that judgement based on schedule. If it is based on schedule, where is SHSU schedule that much better? I continue to see Lehigh singled out as too high, but the arguement seems inconsistent.

Engineer86
November 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM
What do Towson and Maine have to do to get under 10 in the coaches poll. Insert Richmond, Delaware, Villanova, William & Mary or Massachusetts with the same record and they are dropping other teams out of the top 5.

Move ODU who lost to Towson out?

heath
November 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Move ODU who lost to Towson out?

You may get what you ask for 86,a chance for Lehigh to prove itself in Norfolk against ODU...........one and done!

Engineer86
November 14th, 2011, 06:11 PM
You may get what you ask for 86,a chance for Lehigh to prove itself in Norfolk against ODU...........one and done!

Yea, I have to apologize for Lehigh treating a new comer so poorly, but if you are lucky you will get another shot next year. xnodx If I had a choice that would be it. Although I like Towson just because they are closer.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I think SHSU, UNI, and Lehigh might all end up being over rated in the end.

lehighfball
November 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thats why these polls are crap! Youngstown goes on the road and leads UNI until the last two minutes! Next week they go on the road and beat #1! Earlier this season they were down 1 at half to Michigan State. They should be 15-20! These polls are crap!

Still no excuse for the NDSU loss.

No_Skill
November 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Still no excuse for the NDSU loss.

He's not making an excuse. He's making a point for Youngstown being a better team than many give them credit for.

The team I saw on Saturday could beat many teams that will be in the playoffs. They may even have a shot to prove it.

lehighfball
November 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
He's not making an excuse. He's making a point for Youngstown being a better team than many give them credit for.

The team I saw on Saturday could beat many teams that will be in the playoffs. They may even have a shot to prove it.

He made the point that the polls are crap and that Youngstown should be ranked 15 -20. My point is that I still think the #1 team should not have lost.

Engineer86
November 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I think SHSU, UNI, and Lehigh might all end up being over rated in the end.

You may be right and in the end there could be a few others. At least we will get some idea of that on the field.

heath
November 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yea, I have to apologize for Lehigh treating a new comer so poorly, but if you are lucky you will get another shot next year. xnodx If I had a choice that would be it. Although I like Towson just because they are closer.

still one and done vs Towson, a lose- lose situation

DJKyR0
November 14th, 2011, 06:37 PM
He made the point that the polls are crap and that Youngstown should be ranked 15 -20. My point is that I still think the #1 team should not have lost.

For that matter neither should Eastern Washington or Georgia Southern. It's why they play the game. Youngstown State was the better team on Saturday and they proved it. We had our 24-hour window of lamenting a loss. Time to look ahead to next week and the securing of a conference championship.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM
If history is any indication, the team that beats the PL rep in the playoffs will likely be headed to Frisco.

lehighfball
November 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
If history is any indication, the team that beats the PL rep in the playoffs will likely be headed to Frisco.

I hate to admit it, but I can see Lehigh losing to Towson and Towson headed to Frisco.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Is that because they get a first round bye? ;)

I know UNH broke that pattern in 2005.

Engineer86
November 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
still one and done vs Towson, a lose- lose situation

3-1 on the road and 1-1 at home in the first round. IF you win you will deserve it. If you think Lehigh is an easy out in the playoffs you are wrong. I do not kid myself as what is a good showing. A quarterfinal game justifies where we are curently ranked. Win that and I would be ecstatic!

Looking at the alternatives and purely based on schedules and results, ODU is not a bad outcome at all. But the Towson drive is a lot easier.

BTW, what is ODU's playoff record?

frozennorth
November 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Layfayette hasn't beaten a ranked team yet this year (ysu had 1 going into the game), ysu had almost beaten top 5 uni the week before. If you want to rate teams by what they've done lately, ysu going into two top 5 teams and almost beating both is pretty impressive.

ngineer
November 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I think Lehigh is appropriately ranked. It has done everything called for in its schedule--beaten every team it was supposed to beat and barely lost to UNH. I'd love a rematch with the Wildcats as I think our defense has jelled with the secondary playing much more aggressive now with a season under their feet. NDSU had a great season until "Holy mackerel, Batman! The Penguin!" suddenly appeared. #1 teams shouldn't lose at home to an unranked team. I think their drop to #5 is correct. Their early win over Minnesota warrants some kudos, but again, that was ages ago. Many teams get better after 2 1/2 months, some regress, and some give you no clue where they're going. Minnesota appears to be a much different team than in early September. The Towson at UNH game should be spectacular. Hopefully, the weather will allow that to happen. I consider it a toss-up.

PantherRob82
November 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM
The Towson at UNH game should be spectacular. Hopefully, the weather will allow that to happen. I consider it a toss-up.

Spoiler alert: the game was at Towson and Towson won.

frozennorth
November 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I think Lehigh is appropriately ranked. It has done everything called for in its schedule--beaten every team it was supposed to beat and barely lost to UNH. I'd love a rematch with the Wildcats as I think our defense has jelled with the secondary playing much more aggressive now with a season under their feet. NDSU had a great season until "Holy mackerel, Batman! The Penguin!" suddenly appeared. #1 teams shouldn't lose at home to an unranked team. I think their drop to #5 is correct. Their early win over Minnesota warrants some kudos, but again, that was ages ago. Many teams get better after 2 1/2 months, some regress, and some give you no clue where they're going. Minnesota appears to be a much different team than in early September. The Towson at UNH game should be spectacular. Hopefully, the weather will allow that to happen. I consider it a toss-up.

Minnesota almost beat usc in week 1, lost to a much improved nmsu team in week 2, beat a competent miami (oh) team, then got beat up by ndsu, and then the wheels came off.

ngineer
November 14th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Spoiler alert: the game was at Towson and Towson won.

Yes, I realized that..too tired to correct..gotta get some sleep...

grayghost06
November 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM

If that happens, does it mean Lafayette moves up a minimum of 32 slots in the Sports Network poll like Y'town?

FargoBison
November 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM

If Lehigh played YSU and lost, I'm not sure I'd call it an upset. The Guins can play some football, they are very young but capable of beating anyone.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Just like if NDSU played YSU and lost, we wouldn't call it an upset, eh?

It wasn't what everyone made it out to be, YSU is the most underrated team in the FCS.