PDA

View Full Version : CSJ: Projecting the FCS Playoff Field, Week 12

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/94-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-12

Two more teams won autobids to the FCS playoffs this weekend - the Lehigh Mountain Hawks out of the Patriot League, and the Norfolk State Spartans out of the MEAC.

Their wins gave a whole host of 7-4 teams more hope for their chances for the final precious at-large bids.

Sixteen teams are still alive in terms of qualifying for postseason consideration for that magical 7 Division I win threahold. And not counting the four teams that have already won autobids, fifteen more teams have already reached that threshold and will be at in consideration come selection time.

After a crazy Week 11 , who are now the odds-on favorites for the playoffs - and seeds - as of this week? And what should fans of "bubble teams" be looking for? Look below to find out!

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 12:57 PM
If Albany and UNH are in the same round they will be matched up. 240 miles.

BTW - I don't think there is anyway the Committee is going to put a second MEAC team and a second SLC team in over multiple 7 win teams from much stronger conferences.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM
All hail Chuck B! xthumbsupx

Glad to see Sam Houston State getting their proper respect and a No. 2 seed! :)

Saint3333
November 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Montana and Montana St. seeds? Not unless teams 5-8 all lose.

JmuSkinsfan
November 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
A 7-4 JMU team should make it in, especially if the committee takes into consideration that they would be 5-0 against FCS competition with their starting QB (including last 2 games), and 2-3 without him (including three losses to top 10 teams, two of which by 4 points combined).

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2011, 01:13 PM
To me, JMU is squarely on the bubble...if they wanted to be lock status, you gotta beat one of ODU, Maine, UNH

Assuming Towson and UD take care of business this week, JMU had a schedule without the #1 CAA team and T-4 CAA team. It's not like they beat anybody relevant in conference. The Liberty win looks suspect lately. If Stony Brook beats Liberty this week, I don't think JMU is in. I think the Dukes are HUGE Liberty fans this week.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 01:20 PM
To me, JMU is squarely on the bubble...if they wanted to be lock status, you gotta beat one of ODU, Maine, UNH

Assuming Towson and UD take care of business this week, JMU had a schedule without the #1 CAA team and T-4 CAA team. It's not like they beat anybody relevant in conference. The Liberty win looks suspect lately. If Stony Brook beats Liberty this week, I don't think JMU is in. I think the Dukes are HUGE Liberty fans this week.

Who you going to put in instead? The players on the bubble will likely be:

2nd place Southland team (UCA) - 7 DI wins
2nd place MEAC team (SCSU or BCU) - 7 DI wins
2nd place NEC team (Duquesne) - 9 DI wins
2nd place Patriot team (Georgetown) - 8 DI wins

JmuSkinsfan
November 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you. But then you have to assume the committee looks at the team and sees that they lost to top 10 Maine by 1 in OT, and to top 10 ODU by 3 on the road in a game that their OL was desimated by injuries in the second half and scoring 0 points after halftime as a result ... as well as a bad loss to UNH ... but all 3 were with the back-up, rFR QB, who was also injured during the Richmond game and was made one-dimensional. Not saying that's an "excuse" ... but JMU is 5-0 in the FCS with Justin Thorpe at QB, and to make it to 7 wins, would win their last two with him back.

And that is without assuming that the committee looks at revenue potential with FCS' 3rd best attendance figures.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2011, 01:51 PM
7 wins from the MEAC vs. 7 wins from the CAA vs. 7 wins from the MVFC...why does the MEAC win? Norfolk State is only a quality win because they play in the MEAC. What about strength of schedule? The only thing making Norfolk State and Bethune Cookman are the two polls. Their numbers are awful compared to other potential bubble teams. If Bethune had at least a one win advantage, it would make a little more sense, but with equal wins but a much weaker SOS, you can't really reward them just for beating Norfolk State. I just think it'd be a really really big stretch if the committee chose Bethune Cookman over Illinois State and James Madison, unless if those two teams fail to get to 7 wins this week.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM

2nd place MEAC team (SCSU or BCU) - 8 DI wins

Second place in the MEAC can only at most get to 7 DI wins. Both BCU and FAMU played Fort Valley State. SCSU only has 6 wins right now.

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM

2nd place MEAC team (SCSU or BCU) - 8 DI wins

I'm not knocking JMU as a playoff team but saying they are far from lock status win or lose. I would have to really look closely at UCA vs. JMU if that was for spot 20, but the rest of those teams wouldn't even be in consideration.

I think my at-large locks would be (assuming no shockers next week): 4 MVFC, 2 SoCon, 2 CAA, 1 Big Sky...that leaves me 1 spot for JMU, UCA. I think the YSU win over NDSU really hurt these teams because they probably would both be in. Now if it all plays out chalk this week, I have it all comign down to Liberty-Stony Brook. If Liberty wins and strengthens JMU resume, it's the Dukes. If Stony Brook wins, I go UCA.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'm not knocking JMU as a playoff team but saying they are far from lock status win or lose. I would have to really look closely at UCA vs. JMU if that was for spot 20, but the rest of those teams wouldn't even be in consideration.

I think my at-large locks would be (assuming no shockers next week): 4 MVFC, 2 SoCon, 2 CAA, 1 Big Sky...that leaves me 1 spot for JMU, UCA. I think the YSU win over NDSU really hurt these teams because they probably would both be in. Now if it all plays out chalk this week, I have it all comign down to Liberty-Stony Brook. If Liberty wins and strengthens JMU resume, it's the Dukes. If Stony Brook wins, I go UCA.

FWIW I have Central Arkansas as an IN team, playing in the first round.

danefan
Second place in the MEAC can only at most get to 7 DI wins. Both BCU and FAMU played Fort Valley State. SCSU only has 6 wins right now.

Thanks. Fixed

JmuSkinsfan

By that math, if you're only giving the CAA 2 at-large bids ... I'd assume UNH (even if they lose) gets in over JMU/UCA ...

Do you really think the MVFC gets in 5 total teams? I just can't see that, sorry. They aren't going to get 5/9 teams in. 4 might even be a stretch.

If the top 5 in the MVFC are 9-2/9-2/7-4/7-4/7-4 ... I can only see 3-4 max.

Top 5 of the CAA would be 9-2/9-2/9-2/7-4/7-4 ... just seems more likely that the CAA get 5 before the MVFC... especially if that 5th team went 5-0 against the FCS with their starting QB and 2-3 with their injured back-up in (with all 3 losses to top 10 teams, 2 by a combined 4 points)

henfan
November 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
And that is without assuming that the committee looks at revenue potential with FCS' 3rd best attendance figures.

When trying to determine at-large candidates, attendance won't matter... not one tiny bit.

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM
By that math, if you're only giving the CAA 2 at-large bids ... I'd assume UNH (even if they lose) gets in over JMU/UCA ...

Do you really think the MVFC gets in 5 total teams? I just can't see that, sorry. They aren't going to get 5/9 teams in. 4 might even be a stretch.

If the top 5 in the MVFC are 9-2/9-2/7-4/7-4/7-4 ... I can only see 3-4 max.

Top 5 of the CAA would be 9-2/9-2/9-2/7-4/7-4 ... just seems more likely that the CAA get 5 before the MVFC... especially if that 5th team went 5-0 against the FCS with their starting QB and 2-3 with their injured back-up in (with all 3 losses to top 10 teams, 2 by a combined 4 points)

I apologize, I got carried away with the math - 3 CAA at-large for sure. Which then begs the question how in the world do you sort out the mess of ISU, ISU, YSU. With them going 1-1 against each other and ISU-b, YSU having "signature wins" the final spot would come down to ISU-r, JMU, UCA and that Eastern Illinois loss would cost ISU-r, with my final spot dependent on the Liberty-Stony Brook game

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Not even the MEAC coaches voting in the coaches' poll thought BCU deserved to be in the top 25 this week. They didn't receive one vote. There's gotta be at least one MEAC coach in that poll.

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Not even the MEAC coaches voting in the coaches' poll thought BCU deserved to be in the top 25 this week. They didn't receive one vote. There's gotta be at least one MEAC coach in that poll.

I'm sorry but a team that loses 22-3 to the 8th place MEAC team does not even warrant consideration when thinking about your top 35

JmuSkinsfan
November 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I apologize, I got carried away with the math - 3 CAA at-large for sure. Which then begs the question how in the world do you sort out the mess of ISU, ISU, YSU. With them going 1-1 against each other and ISU-b, YSU having "signature wins" the final spot would come down to ISU-r, JMU, UCA and that Eastern Illinois loss would cost ISU-r, with my final spot dependent on the Liberty-Stony Brook game

I'll agree with this. I still think a 7-4 CAA team (who again, sorry to beat a dead horse, was 5-0 against FCS with starting QB who is now back) gets in over a 7-3 (DII win) Southland 2nd place team. The only time UCA played a top 25 team they lost 31-10 to Sam Houston State. JMU would only have one win over a playoff team (assuming Liberty loses) but would have close losses to top 10 Maine and ODU ... UCA didn't even play SHSU close (and it's debatable whether or not the Southland champ is even any good after their champ got manhandled last year in the playoffs)

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm sorry but a team that loses 22-3 to the 8th place MEAC team does not even warrant consideration when thinking about your top 35

That's what I'm getting at. See my previous argument.

tribefan40
November 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
So Towson wins the CAA and is rewarded by traveling in the second round? Do you honestly think the CAA champ won't get some kind of seed?

Otherwise I like your bracket, with the exception of BCU. I like JMU in that spot.

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Yeah the fact that BCU is in here completely throws out the credibility of this projection

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM
So Towson wins the CAA and is rewarded by traveling in the second round? Do you honestly think the CAA champ won't get some kind of seed?

Otherwise I like your bracket, with the exception of BCU. I like JMU in that spot.

It's a tough call. If Towson loses and still wins the CAA, then no, I don't think the CAA champ would get a seed. If they win, they're in the discussion, with a good shot at getting it.

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I kind of feel like this website is trying to make a "statement" with BCU. The MEAC sucks. It's sucked for a long-time. Bethune got ROUTED by UNH's back-up QB last season in the playoffs. They would get routed by any team in the field this year, too.

Fear the Bird
November 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
It's a tough call. If Towson loses and still wins the CAA, then no, I don't think the CAA champ would get a seed. If they win, they're in the discussion, with a good shot at getting it.

Even if Towson loses, who are you seeding over 9-2 Maine? MSU, GSU, SHSU, NDSU and who? Lehigh? UNI?

FargoBison
November 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
The MEAC doesn't deserve two playoff teams until a MEAC team either wins a playoff game or the conference does something of significance in non-conference play.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Even if Towson loses, who are you seeding over 9-2 Maine? MSU, GSU, SHSU, NDSU and who? Lehigh? UNI?

Montana. Remember, my bracket is contingent with a Griz win over the Bobcats.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/79-college-sports-journal/chuck-burton/94-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-week-12

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference: With 9-2 Norfolk State beating Morgan State this weekend, the Spartans clinched the MEAC autobid and dashed the hopes of Bethune Cookman, Florida A&M, South Carolina State and Morgan State for stealing the autobid away.

Though the Spartans could get a first round bye, a first round matchup at 9-2 Old Dominion seems almost too perfect to pass up.

I have been calling this for weeks that NSU and ODU will meet in the first round.

Humble Steward
November 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I'm really sorry for all you who are disappointed that B-CU is being considered for post season play. If we win this weekend, it will give us 7 DI wins and a six game winning streak finishing off the season. This may not be enough for you, but at 8-3 it may be enough over a sliding team that finished 7-4. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, but all I see is this rallying cry that we are not considered. The truth is that UNH did beat B-CU last year. It was tied up at the half and UNH made the necessary adjustments at halftime and came out and put the game out of contention. I give props to UNH. But our season, will not be measured on one game, where we turned the ball over 4 times in the North Carolina A&T game and killed ourselves with numerous penalties. The turnovers and penalties have been corrected and therefore the turn around in our season. Any team can lose a game to anyone if you turn the ball over. Anyway, we still have the Florida Classic to play and win if we are capable of being considered. After that, it's all on the committee. I think our resume at 8-3 will put us on the fence. If we happen to get in, then we need to prove that we deserve the spot. I agree that the MEAC needs to win some playoff games, but I also believe that we have solid team.

JmuSkinsfan
November 14th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I'm really sorry for all you who are disappointed that B-CU is being considered for post season play. If we win this weekend, it will give us 7 DI wins and a six game winning streak finishing off the season. This may not be enough for you, but at 8-3 it may be enough over a sliding team that finished 7-4. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, but all I see is this rallying cry that we are not considered. The truth is that UNH did beat B-CU last year. It was tied up at the half and UNH made the necessary adjustments at halftime and came out and put the game out of contention. I give props to UNH. But our season, will not be measured on one game, where we turned the ball over 4 times in the North Carolina A&T game and killed ourselves with numerous penalties. The turnovers and penalties have been corrected and therefore the turn around in our season. Any team can lose a game to anyone if you turn the ball over. Anyway, we still have the Florida Classic to play and win if we are capable of being considered. After that, it's all on the committee. I think our resume at 8-3 will put us on the fence. If we happen to get in, then we need to prove that we deserve the spot. I agree that the MEAC needs to win some playoff games, but I also believe that we have solid team.

Nope. The MEAC is not good. Prove that your one representative can even make a respectable game in the playoffs first.

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Let's just hope the committee doesn't include strength of schedule in their decision and they might have a chance!

FargoBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM
What is the MEAC's marquee non-conference win this year....

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2011, 12:23 AM

What is the Southern Conference's? Stop playing that card. If a potential MEAC at-large had a better record, it'd be more likely they'd be considered. It's just the fact that they don't have a chance to be compared to a power nor even a mid-level conference team holding 7 DI wins when they only would have 7 DI wins.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:28 AM
What is the Southern Conference's? Stop playing that card. If a potential MEAC at-large had a better record, it'd be more likely they'd be considered. It's just the fact that they don't have a chance to be compared to a power nor even a mid-level conference team holding 7 DI wins when they only would have 7 DI wins.

The SoCon does have wins vs the OVC's top teams and Wofford battled Clemson to the bitter end....The truth is the MEAC has none.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Come on. People have been credit for UNI's "close loss" to Iowa State all season, while a mid-range Hampton team gave playoff-bound Old Dominion all they could handle, and 3-7 UNC Central came within a play of beating Elon. BCU walloped Prairie View, a team that's likely going to be in the SWAC Championship Game, and also gave Miami (FL) all they could handle for a half, too. The MEAC is not filled with chumps this year.

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Come on. People have been credit for UNI's "close loss" to Iowa State all season, while a mid-range Hampton team gave playoff-bound Old Dominion all they could handle, and 3-7 UNC Central came within a play of beating Elon. BCU walloped Prairie View, a team that's likely going to be in the SWAC Championship Game, and also gave Miami (FL) all they could handle for a half, too. The MEAC is not filled with chumps this year.

I'll say it again. Did you watch the BCU/UNH game last year? UNH won with their backup QB, on the road. You're telling me they have a worse season than last year and should get in?

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Wofford and Illinois State out, but Indiana St, Youngstown St, Bethune Cookman and Central Arkansas in???

Dismissed, as it should be.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'll say it again. Did you watch the BCU/UNH game last year? UNH won with their backup QB, on the road. You're telling me they have a worse season than last year and should get in?

Yeah. I also saw Delaware play Eastern Washington, two teams that will be eating Thanksgiving dinner at home. I love how people bring up last year, as if it matters one iota.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Wofford and Illinois State out, but Indiana St, Youngstown St, Bethune Cookman and Central Arkansas in???

Dismissed, as it should be.

If Wofford loses to Chatty, they're out, period.

If Illinois State is sitting behind YSU and Indiana State, they're out, too. This is not a radical idea, here.

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Yeah. I also saw Delaware play Eastern Washington, two teams that will be eating Thanksgiving dinner at home. I love how people bring up last year, as if it matters one iota.

I would imagine 12 of the 20 playoff teams will also be eating at home with their first round bye

Humble Steward
November 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM

I was at that game. We played with a back-up QB as well. Matt Johnson had a separated shoulder and Jackie Wilson (back-up QB) was playing on an injured ankle suffered from the Florida Classic. Jackie struggled in the passing game, which was averaging about 50 points per game with Matt as our leader. However, this game came down to coaching. The game was tied and UNH went in at halftime and made some nice adjustments that B-CU could not counter. I respect UNH and they played well on the road.

So coming into this season we had the same QB concerns as last year. We brought in a QB from the University of Maryland (Jamarr Robinson) and recruited Mr. Florida (red shirted freshman) to address this issue. Jamarr started off nicely in the Prairie View game, but after that he threw interception after interception in critical games. Brian Jenkins had to go to Jackie Wilson and David Blackwell to get things back in order. This led to a 2-3 start. After the QB issue was resolved, the team started to perform at a level close to last year. That's why this team with a worst record 10-1 vs. 8-3 (if we win this weekend) can be considered for post season play. We are starting to gel at the right time and we are healthy going into the last game. That's the difference that I see in this year's team.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM

You realize that BCU was playing with their back-up as well right? So your second string QB was better than their second string QB. Big whoop.

LFN, as I said in the AGS poll thread, BCU has something that a dozen teams ahead of them do not have. A win over a top 25/playoff team on the road. The MEAC went 7-9 vs FCS OOC this year, with losses to three playoff teams, one on the bubble and Delaware (who deserves a spot over most of the teams on the bubble). Norfolk beat Morgan in Baltimore by a similar score as Towson did at home. ODU the second place team in the CAA barely beat the 7th place MEAC team, Hampton. MEAC teams have beaten the two likely participants in the SWAC championship game. These are the things that the committee will consider as they give bids.

I don't think BCU will get one, but to say that the write up isn't credible, means you really aren't looking at what the teams have done this year. Furthermore, is BCU's bad loss to A&T any worse than Illinois State's bad loss to EIU? Using the sag ratings, actually Illinois State's loss looks worse.

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Which is why Illini St is outnifnthey dont beat UNI this week

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM

NC Central, not UNC Central. But thanks for the recognition. It's been a rough season for us. . lol

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
NC Central, not UNC Central. But thanks for the recognition. It's been a rough season for us. . lol

Sorry for the typo. Though I imagine you'll forgive it, given the context! xlolx

Humble Steward
November 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM

My point exactly. If B-CU doesn't lose this weekend we shouldn't be out of consideration.

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
If Wofford loses to Chatty, they're out, period.

If Illinois State is sitting behind YSU and Indiana State, they're out, too. This is not a radical idea, here.

As I said, predicting Wofford out = they deserve to be dismissed.

Illinois St beat Indiana St and lost by 7 at Youngstown. No way in h*** that IL St is left out if IN St and Youngstown get in.

MVFC deserves all five in, zero doubt in my mind and should be zero doubt in anyone's mind.

It was going to be the top four from the CAA, SoCon and MVFC. Well now the SoCon can only get three in, so the MVFC will take that other spot too. Thanks

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Nonsense.

A) lets see who has 7 legit wins at the end of the season

B) no way IL St is left out with IN St or YSU getting in.

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM
My point exactly. If B-CU doesn't lose this weekend we shouldn't be out of consideration.

Don't be absurd, of course you should not.

Two of your wins are against Fort Valley St and Savannah St. Those are worthless.

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Nonsense.

A) lets see who has 7 legit wins at the end of the season

B) no way IL St is left out with IN St or YSU getting in.

How many of ISUr wins are "legit" a field goal win at home over ISUb is it

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Don't be absurd, of course you should not.

Two of your wins are against Fort Valley St and Savannah St. Those are worthless.

So then one of App State's wins shouldn't count either? What about the win against mighty Minot State? What about Western Oregon? Virginia-Wise? I can do this all day.

Why isn't Illinois State in jeopardy? They have the worst loss of all playoff contenders, if I'm not mistaken.

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 01:04 PM
How many of ISUr wins are "legit" a field goal win at home over ISUb is it

No I mean DI wins not over Pioneer or low scholarship teams.

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
So then one of App State's wins shouldn't count either? What about the win against mighty Minot State? What about Western Oregon? Virginia-Wise? I can do this all day.

Why isn't Illinois State in jeopardy? They have the worst loss of all playoff contenders, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct - those wins are not legitimate for consideration in the playoffs. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. They are not legit wins.

The Savannah and Fort Valley wins count against BC more than the EIU loss does against IL St.

There is no affirmative action in the FCS playoffs.

Big Dawg
November 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM

2nd place MEAC team (SCSU or BCU) - 7 DI wins

Actually, SCSU is eliminated...FAMU and BCU are playing for 2nd place in the MEAC this weekend

Humble Steward
November 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Correct - those wins are not legitimate for consideration in the playoffs. This isn't my opinion, it's fact. They are not legit wins.

The Savannah and Fort Valley wins count against BC more than the EIU loss does against IL St.

Who is talking about affirmative action besides you? We're talking FCS football. You are way off base with that comment. You need 7 DI wins for consideration and just as many other teams we are vying for that 7th win. If that happens, guess what, we will be considered for the playoffs based on the rules, nothing more. Stay on topic and we will continue to complete a 6 game winning streak to complete the season. Affirmative action, now that's funnyxeyebrowx.

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Really? C'mon Man! Humble Steward has a point...that's downright hilarious/embarrassing to try that card

WrenFGun
November 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM
BCU will lose by 30 points to any major-conference team in the playoffs. I would be shocked if they did not.

The MEAC, quite frankly, sucks. They've sucked for a long, long time. The notion that they'd deserve it over a team that actually merits consideration is astounding to me.

heath
November 15th, 2011, 02:39 PM
BCU will lose by 30 points to any major-conference team in the playoffs. I would be shocked if they did not.

The MEAC, quite frankly, sucks. They've sucked for a long, long time. The notion that they'd deserve it over a team that actually merits consideration is astounding to me.

Wren,the MEAC doesn't suck,remember,its all about the BANDS,those fans don't come for football,its the halftime show

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Considering Savannah State is an FCS school and has been for nearly a decade, your comment about it not being a legitimate is flat out ridiculous. By the way go ahead and discount that Youngstown win over Valpo. After all they are the worst team in FCS according to the GPI.

My point still stands, BCU's worst loss (A&T) isn't as bad as Illinois State's worst loss (EIU).

And I see you're pulling the race card. . . and to think I've voted NDSU #1 for weeks now. If you represent an NDSU alum/student. . . I'm seriously reconsidering my vote.

gotts
November 15th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Considering Savannah State is an FCS school and has been for nearly a decade, your comment about it not being a legitimate is flat out ridiculous. By the way go ahead and discount that Youngstown win over Valpo. After all they are the worst team in FCS according to the GPI.

My point still stands, BCU's worst loss (A&T) isn't as bad as Illinois State's worst loss (EIU).

And I see you're pulling the race card. . . and to think I've voted NDSU #1 for weeks now. If you represent an NDSU alum/student. . . I'm seriously reconsidering my vote.

Don't worry, he doesn't, he just appears to.

Thanks for your support!

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Just wanted to remind you that you're in FCS. You're not a BCS conference.

And nobody has said BCU deserves a bid, except the blog writer. They do however, merit consideration. If they win this weekend, they will have qualified under the criteria just like JMU, UCA, Duquesne and plenty of other teams.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM

I seriously consider whether or not you should be voting if you let something a poster says interfere with your vote.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Don't worry, he doesn't, he just appears to.

Thanks for your support!

This isn't the first time he/she has said some dumb borderline racist stuff. Congratulations on your season so far.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I seriously consider whether or not you should be voting if you let something a poster says interfere with your vote.

Earned my vote, just like everyone else who votes did. And with him, this isn't the first time he's shown his ***.

Humble Steward
November 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Wren,the MEAC doesn't suck,remember,its all about the BANDS,those fans don't come for football,its the halftime show

Wow, we don't support our teams either. This is getting more hilarious every time someone posts. The bands are an intrical part of our programs and do attract several students to our universities and colleges, but we definitely are their for the game. Many of us raise, donate, and provide scholarships to these institutions as well. I know at B-CU, Brian Jenkins is about developing student athletes to become men of great character. We support him and his vision through our alumni booster associations and providing him with the resources to build a program that is successful not only on the field but in the community. A state of the art athletic training facility is almost complete and this will help with recruiting some of the best athletes in Florida and other areas. Believe me when I say, we are their for the game and expect to compete in the FCS.xnodx

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Earned my vote, just like everyone else who votes did. And with him, this isn't the first time he's shown his ***.

I don't care. Your vote is worthless if you change it based on your feelings getting hurt.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I don't care. Your vote is worthless if you change it based on your feelings getting hurt.

Simple solution, tell your friend to quit his anti-HBCU/borderline racist rants and then there won't be anymore problems. Other than that you can kill it skillet and go back to whatever thread you were reading before this one.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Simple solution, tell your friend to quit his anti-HBCU/borderline racist rants and then there won't be anymore problems. Other than that you can kill it skillet and go back to whatever thread you were reading before this one.

My friend? Now that seems racist. You think all midwestern white people know each other?

Back to the point. Anyone who lets their feelings get hurt on the internet, then allows that to effect their vote, probably shouldn't vote it the first place.

heath
November 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
My friend? Now that seems racist. You think all midwestern white people know each other?

Back to the point. Anyone who lets their feelings get hurt on the internet, then allows that to effect their vote, probably shouldn't vote it the first place.

+1....and the band played on

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Do you know who's even more anti-HBCU than even the harshest posters on here? The FCS playoffs. They never let those schools win, and if they do it's stopped at one or two games. That's who we should really be calling out. Maybe if they lightened the competition, it'd be a little more fair for those poor MEAC schools.

james_lawfirm
November 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Do you know who's even more anti-HBCU than even the harshest posters on here? The FCS playoffs. They never let those schools win, and if they do it's stopped at one or two games. That's who we should really be calling out. Maybe if they lightened the competition, it'd be a little more fair for those poor MEAC schools.

Not to stir the pot here any, BUT, I'm going to anyway. I remember when ASU got walloped at home in the first round of the playoffs (1999??) by a fabulous FAMU team (something like 42 - 24). To my knowledge, that was the first time we'd seen a no-huddle team. App's D kept looking over to the sidelines (for instructions) during said gazing, FAMU would usu. snap the ball. It was an embarrassment.

However, more recently, you are correct. The MEAC has not done well in the playoffs. Anyone who cares to debate this further must explain the experience of the undefeated Hampton a few years back.

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Not to stir the pot here any, BUT, I'm going to anyway. I remember when ASU got walloped at home in the first round of the playoffs (1999??) by a fabulous FAMU team (something like 42 - 24). To my knowledge, that was the first time we'd seen a no-huddle team. App's D kept looking over to the sidelines (for instructions) during said gazing, FAMU would usu. snap the ball. It was an embarrassment.

However, more recently, you are correct. The MEAC has not done well in the playoffs. Anyone who cares to debate this further must explain the experience of the undefeated Hampton a few years back.

I do remember that season. That's why I didn't leave it at "they never let those schools win." I think that's the only time an HBCU school was in the semis with the exception of the very first year of Division I-AA back in 1978 when A&M won it all.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Didnt FAMU vacate that season?

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM

More southern than racist. To southerners anyone can be a friend, or a folk, or a fam or a cousin.

As far as the rest, wrong is wrong. Your boy brought the race card into it, nobody else was even thinking along those lines. My response was pretty tongue-in-cheek and exaggerated actually. . something else southerners have been known to do. I think the other NDSU poster got that, and you didn't. So when you get in power you take my vote away. Oh and kick me off the committee too.

I'm done with you on this topic.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM

I hear they hate Tennessee State too. . .and they hate the other OVC schools for even letting TSU in their conference. You didn't hear that from me though.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Your boy brought the race card into it, nobody else was even thinking along those lines. My response was pretty tongue-in-cheek and exaggerated actually. . something else southerners have been known to do. I think the other NDSU poster got that, and you didn't. So when you get in power you take my vote away. Oh and kick me off the committee too.

I'm done with you on this topic.

My boy? More racism. xnonox

Your vote and spot on the committee should be questioned if you let personal feelings effect your vote.xthumbsupx

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Yes the Youngstown loss is also not legitimate, in my book. Pioneer wins do not count.

You can't look only at losses, you have to look at the whole season. And that said, a lot of BC's wins detract from their season more so than the loss to rival EIU detracts from IL St's season. BC 's only decent win is Norfolk St, which also is an average team like BC (they'll just happen to get the AQ bid is all). IL St has beaten IN St, which is another likely playoff team and they could do themselves a lot of good beating UNI as has been discussed. Add that on top of the fact that the MVFC is one of the hardest conferences in the country and you have a legit playoff team.

And you just proved over again why human polls are worthless. If you're going to vote based on hurt feelings, then A) you should be stripped of your voting rights immediately and B) the poll you vote in is equally worthless as your vote is.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yes the Youngstown loss is also not legitimate, in my book. Pioneer wins do not count.

You can't look only at losses, you have to look at the whole season. And that said, a lot of BC's wins detract from their season moreso than the loss to rival EIU detracts from IL St's season.

And you just proved over again why human polls are worthless. If you're going to vote based on hurt feelings, then A) you should be stripped of your voting rights immediately and B) the poll you vote in is equally worthless as your vote is.

Make it happen then! File a complaint! Get them to strip me of my voting rights! Come on Occupy AGS! xrolleyesx

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Make it happen then! File a complaint! Get them to strip me of my voting rights! Come on Occupy AGS! xrolleyesx

So your taunt is that because I have no power to have you reprimanded for your unethical voting practices, they must be legitimate after all?

Yikes.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
So your taunt is that because I have no power to have you reprimanded for your unethical voting practices, they must be legitimate after all?

Yikes.

I have the power to report your original stupid statement. But I didn't. What's the point? It isn't going to change what you said, or the intent behind it. The truly sad thing is that this was once a very spirited conversation about football.

And to answer your question, uh no. Sarcasm is lost on some of ya'll.

penguinpower
November 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Youngstown State got lucky and somehow beat them the following week and then was subsequently dismantled by Ga Southern. Adrian Peterson walked off the sideline in the second quarter after removing an air cast and throwing his crutches down on the ground limped out to the huddle and proceeded to run for over 500 yards. wtf was that all about?

Blue Eagle
November 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM

How many times has UNH beaten a MEAC team?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2011, 01:56 PM

You do realize if Stony Brook beats Liberty and BCU beats FAMU, BCU will have beaten another team in the 20 team field and JMU will have not?

It's quite possible, too, that the same thing could be said about Illinois State and Indiana State as well.

Fear the Bird
November 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
You do realize if Stony Brook beats Liberty and BCU beats FAMU, BCU will have beaten another team in the 20 team field and JMU will have not?

It's quite possible, too, that the same thing could be said about Illinois State and Indiana State as well.

Although my initial reaction is to say that's silly bc BCU beat the automatic qualifer from their own conference, instead, I say touche as JMU had 3 opportunities to beat teams from their own conference in the 20 team field

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Who is this second team that BCU will have beaten in the 20 team field? Also, the argument that BCU would have beaten someone from the field is flawed. Norfolk State is simply in because they beat the same low competition that BCU had to face, with the exception of losing to BCU. However, claiming that is like comparing your team to Wofford, who also has beaten just one team in the field. Wofford beat App State though. BCU beat the equivalent of a 15/16 seed for college basketball.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Who is this second team that BCU will have beaten in the 20 team field? Also, the argument that BCU would have beaten someone from the field is flawed. Norfolk State is simply in because they beat the same low competition that BCU had to face, with the exception of losing to BCU. However, claiming that is like comparing your team to Wofford, who also has beaten just one team in the field. Wofford beat App State though. BCU beat the equivalent of a 15/16 seed for college basketball.

Everyone loves Sagarin until it disproves their little "theories".

Bethune-Cookman (162): Best Win: Norfolk State (152)
James Madison (134): Best Win: Liberty (147)

It's a fair assumption that should Liberty lose, their Sag rating would drop, conceivably below Norfolk State's rating. So would UMass (146), the Duke's second-best win.

As for Wofford, please point out the post where I said that an 8-3 Wofford team wouldn't make the field.

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Everyone loves Sagarin until it disproves their little "theories".

Bethune-Cookman (162): Best Win: Norfolk State (152)
James Madison (134): Best Win: Liberty (147)

It's a fair assumption that should Liberty lose, their Sag rating would drop, conceivably below Norfolk State's rating. So would UMass (146), the Duke's second-best win.

As for Wofford, please point out the post where I said that an 8-3 Wofford team wouldn't make the field.

For Wofford, I didn't say you did. I was just adding a comparison for you saying that Bethune Cookman was so tough cuz they had one win against a playoff team.

Also, Sagarin would argue that Illinois State or Indiana State would be way above James Madison anyways so there's no disproving then.

You claim that Illinois State has an unforgivable loss to Eastern Illinois who's Sagarin is 204, but BCU has a loss to 201 ranked NC A&T. Is that enough a difference to justify their far difference in Sagarin rating. Especially considering BCU's best win Norfolk State is 152, and Illinois State's best win is Indiana State at 98. That's quite a difference there if you ask me.

Everyone loves Sagarin until it disproves their theory. See, I can say it about you. You say Illinois State must beat Northern Iowa to get in because of a "very bad loss", but Bethune has the same very bad loss, but they don't have a comparable win. Also, Illinois State's wins over South Dakota and South Dakota State 130 and 140 respectively in that same Sagarin are better than Norfolk at 152. So they have three wins better than Bethune. But now you'll say that Sagarin is a joke and it can only be used to disprove my theories and not yours, right?

Mr. C
November 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Why does everyone make such a big deal about Sagarin, a computer rating that doesn't even consider games played below Division I? Sagarin is popular because USA Today started running this rating a bunch of years ago. It is an extremely flawed system and has been for years.

MTfan4life
November 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Fine Massey includes all divisions and they have very similar numbers. The top MEAC teams are rated even lower in the Massey ratings so double plus.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM
You say Illinois State must beat Northern Iowa to get in because of a "very bad loss", but Bethune has the same very bad loss, but they don't have a comparable win.

Bethune beat Norfolk State. A comparable win. My point is that it will come down to something different than some stupid Sag/Massey/whatever index, because you can make a convincing argument for both for inclusion. If Illinois State's loss against Eastern Illinois is a bad mark, so perhaps, is BCU's loss to NCAT (and I think NCAT is better than EIU, personally, no matter what any computer poll says). If Illinois State's "great win" is over Indiana State (a conference opponent), then BCU's "great win" is over Norfolk State.

Simply put, everyone has a preconceived notion that the MEAC is ****, and then believes in the numbers they want to believe to reinforce that notion.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I wonder why the OVC is not looked at with the disdain of the MEAC, sometimes. It's been even longer since they've won a playoff game than the MEAC.xeyebrowx

EDIT forgot about WKU winning in 2000.

No one wants two OVC teams either. They also proved that as unnecessary last year. xthumbsupx

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I'm just not sure why people thinking I'm being disadainful when I'm merely stating a fact: the MEAC has sucked for a long, long time. The OVC also sucks, FWIW, but at least it made some regular season noise last year when they beat Southern Illinois and an FBS team in the OOC portion. Both champions will be playing in week one of the FCS tournament, and both, unless they play each other, are likely to be lambasted.

I'm just not how a conference champion who is expected to play in round 1 would allow for a SECOND team from that same conference to get in.

And again, if you're hosting a home game and the champion of your own conference, you should be beaten as easily by another team starting their backup QB, regardless of other circumstances.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 10:01 AM
No one wants two OVC teams either. They also proved that as unnecessary last year. xthumbsupx

Well at least you're being fair. lol

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I'm just not sure why people thinking I'm being disadainful when I'm merely stating a fact: the MEAC has sucked for a long, long time. The OVC also sucks, FWIW, but at least it made some regular season noise last year when they beat Southern Illinois and an FBS team in the OOC portion. Both champions will be playing in week one of the FCS tournament, and both, unless they play each other, are likely to be lambasted.

I'm just not how a conference champion who is expected to play in round 1 would allow for a SECOND team from that same conference to get in.

And again, if you're hosting a home game and the champion of your own conference, you should be beaten as easily by another team starting their backup QB, regardless of other circumstances.

Now I can see that as a logical argument against BCU. And as I said, I don't think they'll be invited. But I'm not 100% sold on Norfolk being placed in the first round either. Especially if ODU is moved up to the 2nd round.

jmufan999
November 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Now I can see that as a logical argument against BCU. And as I said, I don't think they'll be invited. But I'm not 100% sold on Norfolk being placed in the first round either. Especially if ODU is moved up to the 2nd round.

I seriously doubt the MEAC champ gets a bye until the conference has some recent playoff success. Not a knock on the MEAC, just the way it is.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I seriously doubt the MEAC champ gets a bye until the conference has some recent playoff success. Not a knock on the MEAC, just the way it is.

In theory they are supposed to take each year on it's own merits. Norfolk this year has one FCS loss, that will look even better if BCU can defeat FAMU. They have common opponents with other playoff-worthy teams in which they performed on-par with those other playoff worthy teams (ODU - Hampton, Towson-Morgan and App State-SSU). A & T was a blemish, but it's obvious that A&T is better now than they were at the beginning of the season.

I think it's too much of a logjam at the top, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were awarded a second round game. *shrug*

heath
November 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Looking at many of the AGS playoff bracket predictions,and it surprises me that more than a few have seeded Towson at #5.Based upon most of the polls,and Towsons lack of recognition as a FCS power,I think the best they can do is just get a bye..............not even guaranteed a home game if you ask me.xtwocentsx

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I put them at #5 and wanted to put them as high as #2. In my own power calculations, they've had the most impressive resume of all playoff teams besides NDSU.

MplsBison
November 17th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Why does everyone make such a big deal about Sagarin, a computer rating that doesn't even consider games played below Division I? Sagarin is popular because USA Today started running this rating a bunch of years ago. It is an extremely flawed system and has been for years.

Human polls are the greater of two evils.

heath
November 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I put them at #5 and wanted to put them as high as #2. In my own power calculations, they've had the most impressive resume of all playoff teams besides NDSU.
your bracket not showing.....who's your top 5 seeds and will that change after Saturday.Meaning, if Montana wins do they and Montana St both get seeds?

MTfan4life
November 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Human polls are the greater of two evils.

This guy has a point. Too many people vote biased. Look at this last weekend. So many people on here wanted to move NDSU down so many spots simply because their team got knocked down a few pegs when they lost. The rare amount of people mentioned looking at the full body of work, they just wanted fairness.

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 02:30 PM
your bracket not showing.....who's your top 5 seeds and will that change after Saturday.Meaning, if Montana wins do they and Montana St both get seeds?

Having trouble sharing for some reason.

My seeds are: 1. NDSU 2. SHSU 3. Georgia Southern 4. Montana State 5. Towson.

If Montana upsets Montana State, then yes they are in position, IMHO to get the #5 seed. It's weird because my vote doesn't necessarily match how I'd seed the teams. . . but that's all based on my formula.

MTfan4life
November 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
and even more homers wanted NDSU to only drop to the 1-3 spot after losing to an unranked team at home...

Those lousy computer ratings kept them at the 1 spot too. They must be biased as well! Maybe it's because a full season isn't about one loss. Maybe a season includes all the quality wins too. I'm glad college football at the FCS level has a playoff system though. Teams will sort it all out in December.