PDA

View Full Version : The Hate Fest: Delaware vs Villanova

bluehenbillk
November 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM
playing in Chester, PA of all places, but ironically a UD fan's car may be safer in Chester than on Lancaster Ave on gameday.

Here's hoping the Villanova clergy doesn't make the game because this is the Hens' year.

HailSzczur
November 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Here's to #6 in a row. Though it is more fun beating Delaware when they have a high profile NFL prospect QB like Devlin or Flacco

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I'm thinking 27-24 Nova. But I hope I'm wrong.

HailSzczur
November 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pY0ISfLkP8E

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Other than Fordham, has anyone had a more discouraging season than Villanova this year? The 2009 national champions, Pitt's Mark Nordenberg stood in the way of a Big East invite as late as five months ago, and now they're 2-8.

bluehenbillk
November 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM
VU can't beat Delaware.

Delaware could beat themselves - but the talent gap is considerable.

HailSzczur
November 14th, 2011, 11:05 AM
VU can't beat Delaware.

I beg to differ. The theme of the year for Nova is inexperience, not lack of talent. The UMass game showed a great deal of talent, especially from freshman QB Polony, the freshmen running backs, and of course Pitts and the rest of the defense

bluehenbillk
November 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
On paper talent by people that want to try to sort out recruiting success in a year or less time. Fact is VU is extremely young & mistake prone. Don't count on UD to yack the ball over left & right like UMass did.

Remember Monmouth had their way with you....

HailSzczur
November 14th, 2011, 11:26 AM
On paper talent by people that want to try to sort out recruiting success in a year or less time. Fact is VU is extremely young & mistake prone. Don't count on UD to yack the ball over left & right like UMass did.

Remember Monmouth had their way with you....

There we go, now you got it right. Monmouth did have their way with us, but I'd like to think that we are a different team. Prior to the game our then starting QB went down, our #2 came in and didn't look all that spectacular and we played with our walk Sr walk on who spent the last 3 years patting Chris Whitney on the back after every drive. Since the Monmouth game we've gotten our best receiver after the injured Norman White back, we've solidified the starting QB, and things have begun to gel alittle.

Do I think we are the better team? No, not on paper, not in your mind or my mind. If the team that beat UMass shows up at PPL I'll be a happy man, if its the team I saw against Monmouth not so much. And personally, I would be ecstatic to see the Delaware team show up that allowed DII West Chester to draw within a score of the lead in the 4th quarter.

bluehenbillk
November 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Since the Monmouth game we've gotten our best receiver after the injured Norman White back,

Who would that be?

HailSzczur
November 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Who would that be?

Joe Price, he missed 5 games after getting hurt against Towson in week 2. Suffered a few broken ribs and collapsed lung. In his absence the receiving core was Dorian Wells and a platoon of underclassmen/backs.

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5p8IXzNdc

BlueHenSinfonian
November 14th, 2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbnUi0tikgY

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2011, 11:43 PM

And it came at the Liacouras Center! Hooter was there!!

Mr. C
November 15th, 2011, 05:27 AM
VU can't beat Delaware.

If you don't think Villanova has talent, you are crazy. And how arrogant to think Villanova can't beat Delaware. There have been quite a few times in recent years where the Cats have left the Hens STUNNED at the end of games. How many wins in a row is it for Villanova in the Battle of the Blue?

heath
November 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Other than Fordham, has anyone had a more discouraging season than Villanova this year? The 2009 national champions, Pitt's Mark Nordenberg stood in the way of a Big East invite as late as five months ago, and now they're 2-8.

Richmond-started out 3-0 then decide not to show up in CAA,could end season 0-8

bluehenbillk
November 15th, 2011, 08:48 AM
If you don't think Villanova has talent, you are crazy. And how arrogant to think Villanova can't beat Delaware. There have been quite a few times in recent years where the Cats have left the Hens STUNNED at the end of games. How many wins in a row is it for Villanova in the Battle of the Blue?

We're talking about THIS YEAR'S VU team, not the Szczur/Ijalana/Whitney/Westbrook/Gordon era teams. Does VU have talent, sure, but they're 18 & 19-year old kids going through their 1st college season. They've had injuries, they've been battered, and they're playing a true FR at QB. Rating recruiting classes is never an exact science - yep the past 2 yrs VU has had highly rated classes. But at the same measure I'm sure 3-4 years ago nobody said their classes sucked & if you look how it turned out - those classes were indeed utter failures, otherwise where would all the junior and senior level talent be on this team?

Bottom line, is this year, this game, the field is tilted heavily towards UD.

Hens 31, Cats 14.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Nope, nova can't beat UD this year. Talent is what you see on the field, not what the ratings were coming out of high school. nova hit paydirt with the recruiting class that left after last year, and while they've done well from a Scout.com and Rivals.com standpoint in the last few years, it's not showing up on the field. nova was the better team for much of the past 3-4 years, but that's not the case this year.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Richmond-started out 3-0 then decide not to show up in CAA,could end season 0-8

+1

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Hey, she was a Temple fan, she had it coming.

Anovafan
November 15th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Some pics from today's press conference about the game. I'm looking forward to a good game, hopefully.

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Question for the Delaware fans, any particular reason for not bringing your band? I remember them coming to Villanova in the past, why not to PPL where theres even more room?

superman7515
November 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Concern for their safety.

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Its really not bad at all around the stadium, now that they have the new offramp open by the bridge. The drive through Chester and passed the prison prior though was "interesting". Its a shame that they aren't coming though, I always enjoy a good marching band.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Nope, nova can't beat UD this year. Talent is what you see on the field, not what the ratings were coming out of high school. nova hit paydirt with the recruiting class that left after last year, and while they've done well from a Scout.com and Rivals.com standpoint in the last few years, it's not showing up on the field. nova was the better team for much of the past 3-4 years, but that's not the case this year.

You guys are setting yourselves up here for another fall.

LehighU11
November 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Nope, nova can't beat UD this year.

As much as I hate Nova, I think they have a shot. UD has only beat 2 winning teams this year. They got thumped AT the Tub by UMass, who Villanova just embarrassed in Amherst.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2011, 04:50 PM
You guys are setting yourselves up here for another fall.

I'm pretty sure I have no impact on the outcome of the game at all, especially through postings on this site. I'll sleep easy.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
As much as I hate Nova, I think they have a shot. UD has only beat 2 winning teams this year. They got thumped AT the Tub by UMass, who Villanova just embarrassed in Amherst.

Well, we did beat ODU and Towson, both of whom thumped nova, so there's going to be more of "we beat someone they lost to" more than the other way around. And I'm pretty sure UMass went with a backup QB in the nova game.

GannonFan
November 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Question for the Delaware fans, any particular reason for not bringing your band? I remember them coming to Villanova in the past, why not to PPL where theres even more room?

UD used to bring the band to nova but then we stopped bringing them when they weren't allowed to march on the field. Apparently nova felt the side by side comparison of the nova marching band and the UD marching band did not look kindly on the nova side of things. Didn't seem worth it to bring the band and pay for transportation and tickets for them only to have them sit in the seats for the whole game. nova wouldn't even let them march postgame. I imagine the same policy is in place for PPL park as well.

With that said, I'm not sure UD would bring them anyway - cost cutting as cut out a lot of the travel expense for the band. They used to go places, like Navy, well after they stopped going to nova (since they could march at other venues), but even those are cut out now. Just can't justify the cost.

LehighU11
November 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Well, we did beat ODU and Towson, both of whom thumped nova, so there's going to be more of "we beat someone they lost to" more than the other way around. And I'm pretty sure UMass went with a backup QB in the nova game.

True but UDel has been way too inconsistent this season for this game to be a lock. Nova is coming off of a big win on the road. I'm pulling for UDel, nonetheless, even though I encountered plenty of a-hole fans at last year's playoff game vs. Lehigh.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
UD used to bring the band to nova but then we stopped bringing them when they weren't allowed to march on the field. Apparently nova felt the side by side comparison of the nova marching band and the UD marching band did not look kindly on the nova side of things. Didn't seem worth it to bring the band and pay for transportation and tickets for them only to have them sit in the seats for the whole game. nova wouldn't even let them march postgame. I imagine the same policy is in place for PPL park as well.

With that said, I'm not sure UD would bring them anyway - cost cutting as cut out a lot of the travel expense for the band. They used to go places, like Navy, well after they stopped going to nova (since they could march at other venues), but even those are cut out now. Just can't justify the cost.

A lot of bands wouldn't measure up side-by-side with the Blue Hen marching band.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc?=32s

GannonFan
November 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM
True but UDel has been way too inconsistent this season for this game to be a lock. Nova is coming off of a big win on the road. I'm pulling for UDel, nonetheless, even though I encountered plenty of a-hole fans at last year's playoff game vs. Lehigh.

I'm sure there are no a-hole fans who support Lehigh. *cough* TheFan *cough*

GannonFan
November 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
A lot of bands wouldn't measure up side-by-side with the Blue Hen marching band.

I agree, UD's a decent band. But it's not like nova even tries.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I agree, UD's a decent band. But it's not like nova even tries.

The story that I kept hearing, which may be apocryphal, was that 'Nova had banned the UD band from traveling due to a fight between certain UD band members and some of the 'Nova spirit staff that had broken out during a game at some point in the mid-90s. Of course, this was ten years ago, so, the situation could be different today.

I do remember that the UD pep band was assigned seating up in the rafters as far away as possible from the court when Delaware traveled to 'Nova for the first round NIT tournament in '00, despite the fact that the ski lodge was maybe 2/3 full at most.

Still, 'Nova wasn't as classless as Hofstra. The UDMB was scheduled to perform an exhibition at a BOA NE regional high school marching band competition hosted by Hofstra. Hofstra forced the BOA organizers to cancel Delaware's performance because they felt it might sway potential new students to Newark instead of Hempstead. A game at Hofstra is also the only time I can recall the UD band being threatened by stadium officials for playing too loudly during time outs and quarter breaks.

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
The story that I kept hearing, which may be apocryphal, was that 'Nova had banned the UD band from traveling due to a fight between certain UD band members and some of the 'Nova spirit staff that had broken out during a game at some point in the mid-90s. Of course, this was ten years ago, so, the situation could be different today.

I do remember that the UD pep band was assigned seating up in the rafters as far away as possible from the court when Delaware traveled to 'Nova for the first round NIT tournament in '00, despite the fact that the ski lodge was maybe 2/3 full at most.

If that really is the case thats a shame, because I have friend in the band, and when I was down to visit him this year I met a bunch of them and they all seemed like great people. Plus they sound 50x better than us.

As far as basketball, thats where all the opposing teams get their tickets in the Pavilion, it was not just us singling you out. Tonight, other than the few rows they get behind their bench about 90% of the LaSalle fans(which was a small contingent to start with) were up in that far corner across from the students section.

ngineer
November 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM
VU can't beat Delaware.

Agree with that. Wildcats win only with UD turnovers and a bunch of critical penalties.

melloware13
November 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Still, 'Nova wasn't as classless as Hofstra. The UDMB was scheduled to perform an exhibition at a BOA NE regional high school marching band competition hosted by Hofstra. Hofstra forced the BOA organizers to cancel Delaware's performance because they felt it might sway potential new students to Newark instead of Hempstead. A game at Hofstra is also the only time I can recall the UD band being threatened by stadium officials for playing too loudly during time outs and quarter breaks.

According to what we have been told, both of those are true (also it doesn't make too much sense to have the Seniors do a road performance after Senior Day). Also (supposedly) we didn't go to UMD due to them wanting full price tickets, but Navy, UMass, and the NC game are limited/cut due to budget decreases

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM
The UD band is down this year though, just like the football team. It's amazing the percentage of clarinets/flutes/piccolos UD's band has. You go to a game at PSU or anywhere in the Big 12/Big 10 and the volume is so much higher with the brass. I'm being serious with this. I never got why so many UD fans *****ed about the no re-entry policy at halftime. Well in reality 95% of those people sit in the East stands & when the band plays normally to the West - they're basically inaudible.

Would be nice to have them there but GF is right. If they're not going to go on the field at all what's the point.

VU's band is an embarassment - they'd be better off renting a local HS band.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Keeler is still hyping UD's playoff chances to any reporter that will listen. He downplays the West Chester win and says the Navy loss and two top-10 wins are more important. Boy, will he have egg on his glasses if VU pulls the upset!

lehighfball
November 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Keeler is still hyping UD's playoff chances to any reporter that will listen. He downplays the West Chester win and says the Navy loss and two top-10 wins are more important. Boy, will he have egg on his glasses if VU pulls the upset!

The Navy loss would have been important if if was close. It takes more than just showing up to play an FBS team.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
In an important note: Ice Cold Beer to be served at the game on Saturday!!!

Still, I'll sneak 4 beers through security before I'd fork over the $6-$8 they'd charge for one beer inside.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2011, 10:46 AM
In an important note: Ice Cold Beer to be served at the game on Saturday!!!

Still, I'll sneak 4 beers through security before I'd fork over the $6-$8 they'd charge for one beer inside.

Occupy Chester!xcoolx

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'm curious to see the attendance/representation on Saturday. It doesn't seem like student tickets are going very well. They are actually guaranteeing tickets for the Nova/ND basketball game to the first 1000 students at the game.

Mr. C
November 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Today at the weekly sportwriter's luncheon they said they expect pretty near to a sellout.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Today at the weekly sportwriter's luncheon they said they expect pretty near to a sellout.

I'd be flabbergasted if the vast majority of those in attendance aren't UD fans. Since PPL park is pretty much a straight shot up 95 it will be an easy drive for the Blue Hen faithful to see what is very likely the final UD game of the season.

As far as the 'Nova goes, I hear Andy Talley just bought a new Mini Cooper, so all of the 'Nova fans are going to carpool up with him.

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'd be flabbergasted if the vast majority of those in attendance aren't UD fans. Since PPL park is pretty much a straight shot up 95 it will be an easy drive for the Blue Hen faithful to see what is very likely the final UD game of the season.

As far as the 'Nova goes, I hear Andy Talley just bought a new Mini Cooper, so all of the 'Nova fans are going to carpool up with him.

This game is going to do wonders for our attendance, pretty much for a neutral site game. I believe they were giving tickets out with Wells Fargo packages as well.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 16th, 2011, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go4dFqOPkHs

VBR_Productions
November 17th, 2011, 07:59 AM
The article below is a preview of the game. Looking forward to seeing the Battle of the Blue for the first time Saturday.

http://www.caazone.com/2011/11/17/preview-rivarly-week-hits-for-villanova-delaware/

bluehenbillk
November 17th, 2011, 08:05 AM

That's correct but you have to look at how tickets have been distributed.

About 5,000 tix went to VU BB season ticket holders who had to buy the game as part of their package. Considering they play a game Friday night (versus Delaware) I put the over/under on actual people that goto the football game at 1,000.

Additionally the Union took slow ticket sales into their own hands and sold $5 tickets to Philly-area companies & hospitals. From experience I can tell you that people are much less likely to come when they're given tickets for free or a nominal amout.

My guess:

Announced attendance 18,000

Actual attendance: 10,500-11,000

GannonFan
November 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
That's correct but you have to look at how tickets have been distributed.

About 5,000 tix went to VU BB season ticket holders who had to buy the game as part of their package. Considering they play a game Friday night (versus Delaware) I put the over/under on actual people that goto the football game at 1,000.

Additionally the Union took slow ticket sales into their own hands and sold $5 tickets to Philly-area companies & hospitals. From experience I can tell you that people are much less likely to come when they're given tickets for free or a nominal amout.

My guess:

Announced attendance 18,000

Actual attendance: 10,500-11,000

Agreed - it will be a sellout in name only, because they distributed all the tickets at any price they could, i.e. gave them away. There was never a doubt that the announced attendance for this game was going to be 18k - the hope from the nova side is that no one publishes pictures of the actual attendance as there will be plenty of room to put your feet up at this game, even with all the tickets "sold".