PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Harvard-Yale Thread

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2011, 05:52 AM
So Patrick Witt has withdrawn his Rhodes app and decided to play in The Game. Will this, coupled with Harvard's clinching of the outright Ivy title, give the Bulldogs the edge this Saturday to snap their 12-year home losing streak in the series? I saw Yale's last win over Harvard at the Bowl in '99.

Also, will The Game draw more than 50K fans this year?

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
So Patrick Witt has withdrawn his Rhodes app and decided to play in The Game. Will this, coupled with Harvard's clinching of the outright Ivy title, give the Bulldogs the edge this Saturday to snap their 12-year home losing streak in the series? I saw Yale's last win over Harvard at the Bowl in '99.

Also, will The Game draw more than 50K fans this year?

A. Not likely. Yale's D is too porous. Brown showed you can pass on them, Princeton showed you can run on them. Yale's only hope is that Harvard is looking forward to the playoffs......oops. Never mind.

B. Yes, if you include the tailgaters that never make it in for the game.

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM
A. Not likely. Yale's D is too porous. Brown showed you can pass on them, Princeton showed you can run on them. Yale's only hope is that Harvard is looking forward to the playoffs......oops. Never mind.

B. Yes, if you include the tailgaters that never make it in for the game.
I guess Yale did lose several good defensive players this year. Last year, you stuffed us, but we got lucky on special teams.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM
He withdrew the Rhodes application??? Wow.... I would not have done that... I guess it was at noon or so right?

Or if it was that morning, I'm sure those Eli alum could have rented him a helicopter!

RichH2
November 14th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Rivalry and tailgating aside, does not figure to be much of a contest

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Rivalry and tailgating aside, does not figure to be much of a contest

It's precisely those years in which The Game "does not figure to be much of a contest" that upsets can and do occur. The 1995 and 1979 contests come to mind, and I'm sure there are others.

Bogus Megapardus
November 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
While we were sitting at at the Yale/Lafayette game, the First Lady (a Cornell grad) commented on Patrick Witt's serpentine act while being chased 20 yards back from the LOS by Lafayette LB Leroy Butler: "He's going to the NFL?"

"And he's a Rhodes candidate," I replied.

"With those moves? He's neither," she said. "He's no good under pressure. What makes him think he can handle Cambridge?" True story.

This is Harvard's year, without question. Again.

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
While we were sitting at at the Yale/Lafayette game, the First Lady (a Cornell grad) commented on Patrick Witt's serpentine act while being chased 20 yards back from the LOS by Lafayette LB Leroy Butler: "He's going to the NFL?"

"And he's a Rhodes candidate," I replied.

"With those moves? He's neither," she said. "He's no good under pressure. What makes him think he can handle Cambridge?" True story.

This is Harvard's year, without question. Again.

That might be one of the dumbest analogies I ever heard.

Oh, and tell her it's Oxford.

Pard4Life
November 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
That might be one of the dumbest analogies I ever heard.

Oh, and tell her it's Oxford.

Ha... come on bulldog show some sense of humor! The funny thing is I thought the same thing about his NFL potential and that bizarre scramble.

Did he give a reason for missing the interview?

bulldog10jw
November 14th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ha... come on bulldog show some sense of humor! The funny thing is I thought the same thing about his NFL potential and that bizarre scramble.

Did he give a reason for missing the interview?

People are blaming him, and seem to enjoy putting him down, because scouts are coming out to watch him. I'm trying to remember when Witt himself ever said he was headed to the NFL. If he really wanted an NFL career, he would have stayed at Nebraska. I do have a sense of humor, but things seem to have been carried a little too far putting down a fine student athlete.

He is going to re-apply for the Rhodes next year. He didn't want to miss the game.

heath
November 14th, 2011, 03:55 PM
wish Harvard was able to go to playoffs this year,might make a little noise......good luck Saturday

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM
wish Harvard was able to go to playoffs this year,might make a little noise......good luck Saturday

Same here, Heath, and thanks.

Harvard Worship
November 15th, 2011, 01:28 AM
He is going to re-apply for the Rhodes next year. He didn't want to miss the game.

I sure hope so. That would be really tragic to give up the Rhodes just for the privilege to lose to Harvard in person rather than in spirit. I mean, we're honored, but...

Why can't the Rhodes people just reschedule? That's shocking.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
One of the Montana posters said in The Brawl thread that the intense rivalry with MSU is just one day a year. That's the way it is with Harvard and Yale, too.xhandshakex Harvard-Penn, OTOH...xazzxxslapfightx

Pard4Life
November 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I sure hope so. That would be really tragic to give up the Rhodes just for the privilege to lose to Harvard in person rather than in spirit. I mean, we're honored, but...

Why can't the Rhodes people just reschedule? That's shocking.

Ha! Being on the same field as Harvard is simply an honor itself.

Ivytalk
November 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Ha! Being on the same field as Harvard is simply an honor itself.

You get it!xlolxxthumbsupx

bulldog10jw
November 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Chris Smith, Yale's best receiver and a great kickoff return man is out for Saturday's game with an ankle injury.

It ends up being a pretty disappointing season for Smith who missed half the season with various injuries.

Too bad, he's an exciting player

ivyisaweed
November 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The game IS the play-offs and I think Murphy has his team thinking nothing but undefeated going into the game. Harvard will win by 14... minimum. Harvard is the more disciplined and multi-facted team. They will get to Witt often and early and Witt will fall apart and there will be lots of serpentine scrambles etc. I am not a Witt hater but think he made a big mistake in the long run. Rhodes Scholar lasts a lifetime...getting your butt kicked in front of a home crowd does too...but in a different way.

Cleets
November 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM

I think the 2004 Harvard team was probably capable of winning a few playoff games
this team (meh)

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I think the 2004 Harvard team was probably capable of winning a few playoff games
this team (meh)

Yep, Fitzpatrick's '04 squad was the best all-around Harvard team in memory, and the '01 bunch was no slouch, either. However, for sheer offensive firepower, this team may have them both beat.

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Don't be surprised if your tailgate is overtaken by occupy wall street folks. This will probably be the highest concentration of 1%ers outside of Manhattan.

Harvard Worship
November 17th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Don't be surprised if your tailgate is overtaken by occupy wall street folks. This will probably be the highest concentration of 1%ers outside of Manhattan.

Doubt anyone would head to New Haven that didn't absolutely have to (like us poor Harvard folks every other year). But you've given me a great idea for a cheer to replace the tired, worn "safety school"...

"2 percent"

Harvard Worship
November 17th, 2011, 01:43 AM
And while we're on the topic, the kids are evidently ahead of us, at least according to the YDN:

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/nov/15/harvard-gets-occupy-themed-game-pinnies/?cross-campus

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Don't need a H-Y wife-beater this year.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Yale says the crowd may be around 55,000.

ngineer
November 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Learned today you're going to have a former Lehigh All-American linebacker(1983) as the Umpire on the field for your little get-together. John Shigo was one of Lehigh's greatest linebackers--and still in pretty decent shape. Your WR's will want to avoid running into him as they'll be the ones on the ground!

Cleets
November 18th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Yep, Fitzpatrick's '04 squad was the best all-around Harvard team in memory, and the '01 bunch was no slouch, either. However, for sheer offensive firepower, this team may have them both beat.

I was back in Cambridge for all of 2004 and couldn't believe what I was seeing...
There was such a buzz about Fitz and Dawson that fall season and they just kept winning and winning
and finally when all the leaves had fallen and the snow was piled up to the windows at Wigglesworth on Mass Ave.. the Crimson were 10-0

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I was back in Cambridge for all of 2004 and couldn't believe what I was seeing...
There was such a buzz about Fitz and Dawson that fall season and they just kept winning and winning
and finally when all the leaves had fallen and the snow was piled up to the windows at Wigglesworth on Mass Ave.. the Crimson were 10-0

Well, Cleets, it sure sounds like you got your "Wigglesworth" out of that team!xsmiley_wix

Cleets
November 18th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Well, Cleets, it sure sounds like you got your "Wigglesworth" out of that team!xsmiley_wix

It was a glorious time... to be in New England
The Red Sox were winning, the Patriots were winning the old 353 Harvard street condo was no longer getting toilet papered by the freshmen (they were on to new exploits I guess) and the Red Line stop at Harvard Square was still only a dollar per token

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
It was a glorious time... to be in New England
The Red Sox were winning, the Patriots were winning the old 353 Harvard street condo was no longer getting toilet papered by the freshmen (they were on to new exploits I guess) and the Red Line stop at Harvard Square was still only a dollar per token

Jeez, young 'un, I was a freshman in Pennypacker (Harvard and Ware) and the subway ride to Boston cost a quarter! I really am an old phart.:o

Oh, well. BEAT YALE!!!:p:Dxthumbsupx

hawkineer
November 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Lehigh - Lafayette thread @ 34 pages. Harvard - Yale thread @ 3 pages. I thought you guys had "The Game". Let's pick it up!;)

Ivytalk
November 18th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Lehigh - Lafayette thread @ 34 pages. Harvard - Yale thread @ 3 pages. I thought you guys had "The Game". Let's pick it up!;)

It's not quantity, it's quality!:D

BEAT YALE!!xnodx

ngineer
November 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Yale is not a lock. Haavaad, 38-21.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Well, Harvard won it, 45-7, but the tailgate tragedy overshadowed The Game today. Good crowd: 55,137. looking forward to next year already, bulldog! Congrats to the Eli and Witt, who wasn't at his sharpest today.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Well, Harvard won it, 45-7, but the tailgate tragedy overshadowed The Game today. Good crowd: 55,137. looking forward to next year already, bulldog! Congrats to the Eli and Witt, who wasn't at his sharpest today.

Yes, the tragedy takes the fun out of the day. However, congrats on a great year and a powerhouse team.

Hell, it could have been worse. As I was afraid of, the Yale defense had no clue and really put the pressure on the offense to score and they were not up to the task.

Not Witt's best day, but I still admire his decision to play.

I thought the two plays that starkly showed the difference in talent came late in the 3rd, in Harvard territory, when it was still 24-7. On third down Witt put the ball right in the receivers hands for what should have been a 1st down and he couldn't hold on. There was pressure from the Harvard defender, but the play should have been made. Then Witt thows an INT on 4th down. No blame there, it was 4th down so he had to try and make a play.

On the following series, Harvard had 3rd and long, Winters was pressured and almost without looking throws up a prayer, which was caught by the Harvard received UNCONTESTED. The Yale DB was completely turned around and there was no safety there to help. It would soon be 31-7 and lights out.

To me, that just magnifies the difference in talent and Yale has to do something about that or the series will become irrelevant.....maybe it already is.

Anyway, congrats, IT. A magnificent performance. I would love to see a Harvard - Lehigh game.

Harvard Worship
November 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Good game Yale. Until next year!