PDA

View Full Version : New President at Lehigh is 'Aghast'!

ngineer
May 12th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Lehigh named their new president who will take office August 1. She is Alice Gast, currently VP and provost in charge of research at MIT. While her credentials are phenomenal, we who frequent this Board will now wonder what her views on athletics will be and how this will impact/influence the debate over expanding scholarships to football in the Patriot League...LFN raises this issue on his Blog.
I do recall that Lehigh's current president, Gregory Farrington, came to LU from U of Penn having lead their research and technical schools without ever being interested in Penn's athletics. Once he got to Lehigh he became fully engaged and was won over by the atmosphere and camraderie experienced at the football games and other sports. He became a regular at tailgates and will be staying on as an 'emeritus' professor for special research projects, etc. So, regardless of Gast's apparent lack of athletic involvement (though she says she's an avid runner), I don't anticipate any major changes in direction at Lehigh and would expect significant deference to Dean Sterrett.

colgate13
May 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Chopp came to Colgate from Yale and Emory. She went to Kansas Wesleyan I believe. And yet.... she's 100% for scholarships in athletics and LOVES Colgate sports. In the blizzard game against WIU in 2003, she sat in the stands and sent one of her administrators to hang out with the WIU president in the press box!

The hope lies in that she is a rational person. If she's hung up on philosophy, you're (and we're) in trouble.

ngineer
May 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Chopp came to Colgate from Yale and Emory. She went to Kansas Wesleyan I believe. And yet.... she's 100% for scholarships in athletics and LOVES Colgate sports. In the blizzard game against WIU in 2003, she sat in the stands and sent one of her administrators to hang out with the WIU president in the press box!

The hope lies in that she is a rational person. If she's hung up on philosophy, you're (and we're) in trouble.

From what I've read, she's seems very approachable, friendly, a "team builder" and has a lot of common sense. She certainly seems like a stellar choice for the school, only time will tell her views on athletics--though she did admit she's a rabid Red Sox fan--so we'll have some work to do!xlolx

Pard4Life
May 12th, 2006, 11:01 PM
From what I've read, she's seems very approachable, friendly, a "team builder" and has a lot of common sense. She certainly seems like a stellar choice for the school, only time will tell her views on athletics--though she did admit she's a rabid Red Sox fan--so we'll have some work to do!xlolx

Hmm.. might have been the smartest choice Lehigh has ever made from that prespective. :D