PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Question: What Are The Bids, Exactly?

jmufan999
November 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Can someone explain this, please?

Are you saying to the committee: "We guarantee we'll sell X number of tickets"?

Or are you saying: "We guarantee we'll sell this many tickets AND we'll kick in an extra $____ on top of that"?

Or maybe it's neither of these?

danefan
November 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Or are you saying: "We guarantee we'll sell this many tickets AND we'll kick in an extra $____ on top of that"?

Page 11 of the linked PDF.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf

UNH Fanboi
November 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM

The NCAA sets the price of tickets and gets a certain percentage of all revenue generate by each game. The bid is a guarantee by the home team of the minimum amount they will give the NCAA if game revenue is not enough. If ticket revenue exceeds the bid, the NCAA gets the ticket revenue.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM
It's basically a guarantee that a team will make so much money for the game. The NCAA gets 75% of the gate and if that number is below the bid, a team could potentially make less than 25% of the gate or even lose money.

jmufan999
November 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

hawkineer
November 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Page 11 of the linked PDF.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf
"When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus
estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance
(e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I
opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time)."

So the bottom line is that money comes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The integrity of the game comes 4th and the well being of the student-athletes comes in last. What a shock! It's no wonder that the NCAA may be the most hypocritical organization around.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM
"When determining host institutions for playoff games when both teams are unseeded,
criteria shall apply as follows: (1) quality of facility, (2) revenue potential plus
estimated net receipts, (3) attendance history and potential, (4) team’s performance
(e.g., conference place finish, head-to-head results and number of Division I
opponents), and (5) student-athlete well-being (e.g., travel, missed class time)."

So the bottom line is that money comes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The integrity of the game comes 4th and the well being of the student-athletes comes in last. What a shock! It's no wonder that the NCAA may be the most hypocritical organization around.

Note to Wofford fans...there's nothing in that list about being denied if you've rushed the field of a conference opponent :)

ngineer
November 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Based on what I read, I see Lehigh having made a bid. We got a home game in 2004 versus James Madison and 2001 verus Hofstra.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Based on what I read, I see Lehigh having made a bid. We got a home game in 2004 versus James Madison and 2001 verus Hofstra.

I think it's a virtual lock for Lehigh vs Towson in the second round assuming wins this week. Towson has no bidding history to compare to, but as you say, I think Lehigh is prob in good shape, unless Towson gets the #5 seed. Then you guys will be hitting the road.

asknoquarter21
November 14th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I think it's a virtual lock for Lehigh vs Towson in the second round assuming wins this week. Towson has no bidding history to compare to, but as you say, I think Lehigh is prob in good shape, unless Towson gets the #5 seed. Then you guys will be hitting the road.

I agree. The regional pairing of those two makes too much sense.

Norfolk St. and ODU is another one I expect to be playing each other although in the first round.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Opened the thread expecting to find the Georgia Southern AD making inquiries.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 08:20 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolx

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I agree. The regional pairing of those two makes too much sense.

Norfolk St. and ODU is another one I expect to be playing each other although in the first round.

The only problem with NSU @ ODU is I expect ODU will get a bye and NSU will be playing in the first round.

If Liberty wins this weekend I think NSU is going to Liberty. If not, then I wouldn't be surprised to see NSU @ JMU (despite the fact that the Central Ark. guys think they are without a doubt that they're getting before JMU).

eagle07
November 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Lets hope that moron learned his lesson from last year

ODUCoach
November 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM
According to our beat writer, ODU's bids went like this:

Round 1: $54,000
Round 2: $57,000
Round 3: $77,000

NHwildEcat
November 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM

If Towson wins this weekend, I am pretty confident that they will be a seed. Straight up champs of the CAA...they would deserve it.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM
If Towson wins this weekend, I am pretty confident that they will be a seed. Straight up champs of the CAA...they would deserve it.

Yup I agree.

That probably means Lehigh's best chanced of hosting a playoff game will come if they lose this week and end up playing in the First Round.

Then they'd host the NEC winner (Albany or Duquesne).