PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Wagner resigns from Western Carolina effective immediately!!!

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111311aaa.html

HailSzczur
November 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'm assuming there wont be any riots in the streets of Cullowhee tonight like there were in Happy Valley?
Thats great though, the first step to getting you guys back on track.

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Very tough week for Wagner... Death of his father and having to resign.

I have a lot of respect for the WCU folks that have stuck it out through the lean years and still travel to games and such. I hope y'all will be rewarded down the road.

tractorapp
November 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Perhaps you guys can coax Bobby Lamb to come to Cullowee.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I'm assuming there wont be any riots in the streets of Cullowhee tonight like there were in Happy Valley?
Thats great though, the first step to getting you guys back on track.

I agree, but I think there are about 100 steps to climb!! I do wish the Cats sincere luck, though.

Wildcat80
November 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Has WCU ever won? Tough conference, remote location.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
It was his wife's father and he initiated the resignation per the report. Either somebody came up with the buyout or Wagner has already landed himself another job. I wish he and Cyndi well.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM

1983 I-AA national runner-up to Southern Illinois. Final 1983 record: 11-3-1.

Smitty
November 13th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Wow... Didn't think he would go down that easily to be honest. That is a good move for the university considering they still had to pay him 390k unless he resigned.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Overall record though is bad: 312-456-23 through 10 games this season. Only 1 conference title, 1949 North State Conference championship (conference was comprised of all NC colleges hence the name) which got WCU to the Smoky Mountain Bowl that same season.

D2 playoffs in 1974 and I-AA playoffs in 1983. Always mediocre, the Bob Waters era of 1969-88 was our most successful. Yet we have sent our fair share of talent to the NFL. Clyde Simmons, David Patten, Willie Williams, Dean Biasucchi, Brad Hoover, Andrew Jordan, Tony Jones.

The fan base is RABID and IMPATIENT. Despite the poor record, especially the last 5 years, the Catamount Club has seen numbers grow in both giving and the number of donors. That is why this new AD hire and new coaching staff hire is THE most important hires in our athletics history. Our new chancellor, David Belcher, arrived last July with the expectation that football get turned around.

In 3 weeks, he has overseen the termination of the athletic director, the defensive coordinator and now the resignation of the head football coach. It is time to get this ship righted!

CharlotteApp
November 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Do you think Wags already landed a job? Even with all the strugle it would be hard to walk away from guaranteed money.

If he doesn't have a job and he still resigned and walked away from the $, hats of the him for doing the honorable thing. I think it would be hard to find a lot of folks that would do that given the same situation.

Apphole
November 13th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Vince Lambardi couldn't coach that team to a win over App. He shouldn't be so hard on himself.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I surmise that some settlement was reached. I am of the opinion he has been job shopping as well. I wish he and his family the best. Just wasn't meant to be.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
The Carolina schools have to recruit Georgia in order to be successful and Western gets the bottom of that barrel. The campus is in a pretty setting, but they can't compete with App, GSU, or Furman.

North Georgia is fertile ground for the following schools:

UGA
Clemson
Tennessee
Auburn
Alabama
South Carolina
Ga Tech
Troy
UAB
App St
Ga Southern
UT-Chatt
Jax St
Furman
Ga State

AppStsGr8
November 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
This was a tough week for Wagner with his father-in-law's death and the App loss that wasn't as close as the score. He and Jerry Moore shared a prolonged handshake at midfield following the game. Wagner spoke of the encouragement offered to him by Coach Moore. It will take years and lots of effort for Western to return to being competitive in football. The hole created in the past decade or so can't be filled in overnight.

Hats off to the WCU faithful who have supported all of WCU athletics - including football - these past few years. I was impressed at the WCU fans staying until 0:00 yesterday in support of their team. As App fans left in droves, it was even more impressive to see how many WCU fans kept their seats. Good luck in the comeback, Catamounts.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
This was a tough week for Wagner with his father-in-law's death and the App loss that wasn't as close as the score. He and Jerry Moore shared a prolonged handshake at midfield following the game. Wagner spoke of the encouragement offered to him by Coach Moore. It will take years and lots of effort for Western to return to being competitive in football. The hole created in the past decade or so can't be filled in overnight.

Hats off to the WCU faithful who have supported all of WCU athletics - including football - these past few years. I was impressed at the WCU fans staying until 0:00 yesterday in support of their team. As App fans left in droves, it was even more impressive to see how many WCU fans kept their seats. Good luck in the comeback, Catamounts.

Thanks and you said it. This past decade has been porous. But when you had a chancellor that called for the firing of a coach who just went 7-4, won the conference COTY and had 18 starters returning, you can tell what type of leadership we had. Those days are thankfully gone. Good luck to App the rest of 2011.

ASU_Fanatic
November 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Good, but at best someone comes in and gets that team to 7-4 and 8-3. It's gonna take a heck of a coach for WCU to ever be on the same level as App, I mean when a recruit goes and sees App then travels to see WCU there is no way they're gonna pick WCU over App, that place is in the middle of nowhere, what a tough job WCU is, and now they have to compete with UNCC too.

As others said though, big ups to all the WCU fans who stay true purple and gold, I know it has to be rough being a fan of them, you guys deserve a good coach, maybe you guys can find a Mike Ayers-type guy. It would be fun if the rivalry could get at least somewhat competetive.

Eagle22
November 13th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Perhaps you guys can coax Bobby Lamb to come to Cullowee.

Bobby Lamb is in a perfect situation with his new job restarting the program at Mercer. Even though WCU's new chancellor is a Furman grad, I don't think he'll be dialing Bobby up to coax him to Cullowhee.

They broke ground a few months ago on their football/lacrosse stadium and complex (officially did it last week for a media event).

Mercer is putting $14 million into the facility, which will be 6,000 seats (expandable), with the type of fieldhouse and other items he tried to get at Furman for the past few years.

He's under no similar pressure to win (non-scholly Pioneer league), and will be given a lot of latitude to run the program without much restriction.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Personally, I don't Bobby Lamb in Cullowhee. I want somebody with ACC/SEC experience, either former HC or OC/DC. Considering what we were paying Wagner, I think we can fit the bill. I would take Terry Bowden. Former Samford, Auburn coach.

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Personally, I don't Bobby Lamb in Cullowhee. I want somebody with ACC/SEC experience, either former HC or OC/DC. Considering what we were paying Wagner, I think we can fit the bill. I would take Terry Bowden. Former Samford, Auburn coach.

xlolx I'm sure you would. WCU would have a better chance of getting Terry Holland....xrotatehx

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Terry Holland has plenty of football contacts. We'll just have to wait and see.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Don't make the mistake GSU made with Brian VanDunderhead. Get a coach with FCS HC experience.

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Terry Holland has plenty of football contacts. We'll just have to wait and see.

So did Wags.....

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hey! Maybe ya'll can run a promotion at the Piggly Wiggly in Sylva. Whoever guesses the closest number of M&M's in cider bottle gets to pick the next coach....2nd place picks the new uniform design....or vice-versa...

eagle07
November 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
xcoachx Maybe you can get IBM's Watson super computer to call your plays, now that would put people in the seats

"Watson says the only way to win is to not play!" bahahahahaha

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hey! Maybe ya'll can run a promotion at the Piggly Wiggly in Sylva. Whoever guesses the closest number of M&M's in cider bottle gets to pick the next coach....2nd place picks the new uniform design....or vice-versa...

Yeah laugh it up. You know the first 40 times in 2008 it was funny, but now you're just one of the biggest a-holes that I've ever met and a prime example of what is wrong with rivalries. The App folks that I do know (ASUG8, JCline, mountain man, bench) run circles around your sorry *** when it comes to friendship and class. You're the 10th grader that still thinks fart jokes are funny.

I could say more but unlike you, chief cockknocker, I will take the high road AND TRUST ME ON THAT ONE BIG BOY!!!

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am glad that this saga is over for you. It's been said that the first step is the hardest and I wish the WCU community the best in their coaching search. Here's hoping that, in time, you guys will be competitive in the SoCon.

Apphole
November 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah laugh it up. You know the first 40 times in 2008 it was funny, but now you're just one of the biggest a-holes that I've ever met and a prime example of what is wrong with rivalries. The App folks that I do know (ASUG8, JCline, mountain man, bench) run circles around your sorry *** when it comes to friendship and class. You're the 10th grader that still thinks fart jokes are funny.

I could say more but unlike you, chief cockknocker, I will take the high road AND TRUST ME ON THAT ONE BIG BOY!!!

Can we stop calling it this? Its pretty inaccurate.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 05:54 PM
There is only 1 way and that is up. Good luck in finding a quality coach who can get the ball moving. It does seem that the new guy in charge in Cullowee is making moves and apparently is determined to have a competitive football program. I hope things start turning around for you guys.

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Maybe because it works to draw out your 5th grade response. Lighten up, dikhead...

The slams are directed at the school you happen to cheer for, not at you personally. They're in fun and part of what rival fans do to one another. So don't talk to me about class when you denigrate me personally as opposed to the school I'm cheering for...I'd say more, but I'll leave it at have a nice evening, big boy...

To the other WCU fans, good luck in your search and may it be fruitful enough to give you all the opportunity to pay fans like me & Apphole back in spades....then it will be a rivalry again...

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Can we stop calling it this? Its pretty inaccurate.

No doubt...

Smitty
November 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Show some respect, it has always been a rivalry and will be as long as the game continues. It may not be a big deal now to all of the young App people, but it is still big for older players and fans.

The Cats
November 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM
No doubt...

Why not just ignor WCU threads? Trust me, we won't miss you.

AppStsGr8
November 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Yes. Appalachian - Western is a rivalry. Yes. Appalachian holds a commanding lead in the series. While the rivalry doesn't have the draw of some, it does have plenty of history with the rivalry having started in 1932. I'd love to see WCU competitive in football again!

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Why not just ignor WCU threads? Trust me, we won't miss you.

Since you only come out of the woodwork to respond to my posts, apparently you will.....so fok off...xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
November 13th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Overall record though is bad: 312-456-23 through 10 games this season. Only 1 conference title, 1949 North State Conference championship (conference was comprised of all NC colleges hence the name) which got WCU to the Smoky Mountain Bowl that same season.

D2 playoffs in 1974 and I-AA playoffs in 1983. Always mediocre, the Bob Waters era of 1969-88 was our most successful. Yet we have sent our fair share of talent to the NFL. Clyde Simmons, David Patten, Willie Williams, Dean Biasucchi, Brad Hoover, Andrew Jordan, Tony Jones.

The fan base is RABID and IMPATIENT. Despite the poor record, especially the last 5 years, the Catamount Club has seen numbers grow in both giving and the number of donors. That is why this new AD hire and new coaching staff hire is THE most important hires in our athletics history. Our new chancellor, David Belcher, arrived last July with the expectation that football get turned around.

In 3 weeks, he has overseen the termination of the athletic director, the defensive coordinator and now the resignation of the head football coach. It is time to get this ship righted!

Best of luck to WCU fans in getting their program on the right track. For the longest time, I have felt that WCU's problems were not so much coming from the HC's office or the team, but from the administration & a lack of support from the top. I recall seeing Coach Waters in a wheel chair at an App game in Boone (mid-1980s or so). I believe he had Lou Gehrig's disease. Now, I don't know what really happened, but it seemed to me that the admin. simply did not know how to deal with that situation, sad as it was. From that point on, WCU football just was not the same, and it deteriorated.

It sounds like WCU's new chancellor is on the right track. Cleaning house was probably a necessary first step. The next step is probably the most important - hiring a HC that will rebuild the program. You do NOT need a HC looking for quick success so he can land a coaching job somewhere else. You need someone who will make a commitment to WCU & stick to it for a number of years.

Given what I know (which is not much), I think the best head coach for WCU may very well be Mike Sewak from GaSo fame. I have no idea what he's doing now, or even if he would consider such. But, he's a great coach & brings a lot of experience. Obviously, I would expect him to bring the triple option with him.

Anyway, good luck to Catamount fans in getting your program in order. The battle for the Old Mountain Jug should be fun for both sides.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Sewak is OL coach at Georgia Tech and yes, I have mentioned him in some circles about being a feasible replacement.

ASU_Fanatic
November 13th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Paul Johnson went to WCU, maybe he'll want to return to coach his alma matter. Lol.

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Show some respect, it has always been a rivalry and will be as long as the game continues. It may not be a big deal now to all of the young App people, but it is still big for older players and fans.

Agree and we look forward to those days again. But your cohorts (Cat & CMan) can't seem to separate your program's recent follys from their own and take any & all WCU criticism personally. So, my apologies to yourself if any of my snide comments have offended your sensibilities. They are meant in jest betwen rivals and I'd welcome the opportunity to meet you in town, buy you a beer & discuss football....

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Sewak is OL coach at Georgia Tech and yes, I have mentioned him in some circles about being a feasible replacement.

He would be a very good hire.

This is not a joke, btw, but there are some in the AC-T site calling for Sam Wyche....how old is that dude and are they being serious? Any in WCU circles seriously discussing him?

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Per Keith Jarrett at ACT, a settlement was part of the discussion today between Wagner and Cantler.

All assistants retained until a new coach is hired. That has to be weird for recruiting. Oh well..........

http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/jarrett/

ASU_Fanatic
November 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
^aka, all the assistants are gone

james_lawfirm
November 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Paul Johnson went to WCU, maybe he'll want to return to coach his alma matter. Lol.

I did not know that. I doubt you'll get a HC from an FBS school to be HC at WCU for long enough to turn the program around. Even if Paul Johnson agreed to coach at WCU, no way in the world he'd be willing to build the program from scratch. Think "We Are Marshall" here ... (the movie).

No, what they need is someone with Jerry Moore's resume circa 1988. Their problem is finding such a "diamond in the rough".

SideLine Shooter
November 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Link to ASU-WCU game photos.

http://sidelineshooter.smugmug.com/Sports/ASU-2011-Season/ASU-vs-Western-Carolina/20066062_FBqxLH#1582320236_PtJpVVR

ASU_Fanatic
November 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I did not know that. I doubt you'll get a HC from an FBS school to be HC at WCU for long enough to turn the program around. Even if Paul Johnson agreed to coach at WCU, no way in the world he'd be willing to build the program from scratch. Think "We Are Marshall" here ... (the movie).

No, what they need is someone with Jerry Moore's resume circa 1988. Their problem is finding such a "diamond in the rough".I was being sarcastic, Johnson is one of the best college football coaches in the nation. But yeah, he went to WCU and I'm pretty sure the man never played a down of football.

ASU_Fanatic
November 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Link to ASU-WCU game photos.

http://sidelineshooter.smugmug.com/Sports/ASU-2011-Season/ASU-vs-Western-Carolina/20066062_FBqxLH#1582320236_PtJpVVRI really like Westerns uniforms.

james_lawfirm
November 13th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I was being sarcastic.

Yeah, I knew that. I wasn't.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM

No, what they need is someone with Jerry Moore's resume circa 1988. Their problem is finding such a "diamond in the rough".

Would be nice! I am afraid coaches like Bob Waters and Jerry Moore(shame they never met on the gridiron)are long gone as it relates to longevity at any school. I hope your younger fans will truly realize what you've lost whenever Moore decides to hang them up. Younger WCU fans don't realize just how savvy Coach Waters was. His teams would be 6-5 but lose 3 money games in that same season just to pay the bills. If WCU played 3 money games these last few seasons each year, Wagner might've been 0-fer.

A real testament to Bob's teams come SoCon games that's for sure. I miss the days of the old school coaches. You can keep today's coaches as far as I am concerned. Half of them think they're too good to even say hello to their supporters.

TTUEagles
November 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Bobby Lamb is in a perfect situation with his new job restarting the program at Mercer. Even though WCU's new chancellor is a Furman grad, I don't think he'll be dialing Bobby up to coax him to Cullowhee.

They broke ground a few months ago on their football/lacrosse stadium and complex (officially did it last week for a media event).

Mercer is putting $14 million into the facility, which will be 6,000 seats (expandable), with the type of fieldhouse and other items he tried to get at Furman for the past few years.

He's under no similar pressure to win (non-scholly Pioneer league), and will be given a lot of latitude to run the program without much restriction.

Bobby's nephew is the starting QB for Tennessee Tech, FWIW...

Blue Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 08:56 PM

You obviously do not know your FCS history very well! WCU had some very good teams in the '80s. In fact, I watched them play for the I-AA National Championship against Southern Illinois in 1983.

They had a very good coach who contacted ALS and continued coaching for a number of years. I believe until he passed away. They even developed a special chair for him to sit in on the sideline.

Their program seems to have never recovered from that experience.

As a Ga. Southern fan I wish them well. They deserve to have a great team.

catamount man
November 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM
You obviously do not know your FCS history very well! WCU had some very good teams in the '80s. In fact, I watched them play for the I-AA National Championship against Southern Illinois in 1983.

They had a very good coach who contacted ALS and continued coaching for a number of years. I believe until he passed away. They even developed a special chair for him to sit in on the sideline.

Their program seems to have never recovered from that experience.

As a Ga. Southern fan I wish them well. They deserve to have a great team.

Thanks for the kind words. Here is a great piece about Coach Waters:

http://www.catamountsports.com/genrel/011205aab.html

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM

WCU had some very good teams under Steve Hodgin in the 1990s and he produced some good NFL talent. But this loyal Catamount got fired because he never beat App State. Those losses knocked WCU out of playoff consideration several times. Institutions make really stupid decisions when they over do it on the losing to your rival thing. The major problem at WCU over the years has been poor administration.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Why quit with a game left? You have to wonder about the timing of this.

Blue Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Here is a great piece about Coach Waters:

http://www.catamountsports.com/genrel/011205aab.html

That is a great piece about him. Something all SoCon football fans should read!

According to my brother who attended Ga. Southern in the sixties Coach Waters attended graduate school at GSU. In fact, if I remember correctly my brother said he played intramural football with him and that he was obviously a very good football player and also was one of the good guys.

Eagle22
November 14th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Why quit with a game left? You have to wonder about the timing of this.

Fall on his sword a little bit to extend the assistant coaches an opportunity to hold onto their jobs a little longer ?

That'd be my guess. If so, much more admirable than the way Brian VanGorder left GSU ... where he called his assistants on the phone and told them he had left Statesboro. In January.

Wagner may have been a poor head coach, but he seemed like a decent man. My assumption is he saw the handwriting on the wall, with the firing of the AD and the interim AD removing a coach.

elon77
November 14th, 2011, 09:42 AM
If I can put my 2 cents in, they should look at Bobby Wilders staff at ODU. What he and his staff have done in 3 years is pretty darn impressive, and Wilder isn't the only good coach on that staff. Also Pete Adrian at Norfolk State has done a good job during his years there and he pretty much built that program up from scratch.

asumike83
November 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM
There was a joking comment made about Paul Johnson earlier in the thread because he is a WCU grad. Does anyone know if any Johnson assistants have WCU/SoCon ties? That has proven to be a good coaching tree and I would think most coaches would at least consider leaving an assistant position at an FBS school to get their first head coaching gig at the FCS level.

elon77
November 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM
There was a joking comment made about Paul Johnson earlier in the thread because he is a WCU grad. Does anyone know if any Johnson assistants have WCU/SoCon ties? That has proven to be a good coaching tree and I would think most coaches would at least consider leaving an assistant position at an FBS school to get their first head coaching gig at the FCS level.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not another option offense in the Socon!

SpeedkingATL
November 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Best of luck to WCU. Hopefully all the changes taking place can help make them competitive in the SoCon. I would think there are a number of young successful coaches in non-power FCS conferences or even elite Division II that would love an opportunity to compete in the SoCon. You may not be able to keep the good young coaches for too many years but a coach like Kerwin Bell at Jacksonville would certainly make a strong candidate if he would consider WCU over non-scolly program like Jax.

Apphole
November 14th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not another option offense in the Socon!

Don't worry we're leaving ;)

boonegoon
November 14th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I may be wrong but isn't the triple option designed to allow the team to do more with less? I don't mean any disrespect to the TO teams at all, but is is something that could be instituted quickly? When App switched to the spread, we had some growing pains but it turned out well. Does WCU currently have the athletes to make such a transition? What offense does Western run currently?

The Eagle's Cliff
November 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I may be wrong but isn't the triple option designed to allow the team to do more with less? I don't mean any disrespect to the TO teams at all, but is is something that could be instituted quickly? When App switched to the spread, we had some growing pains but it turned out well. Does WCU currently have the athletes to make such a transition? What offense does Western run currently?

The triple option running offenses allow teams to recruit the smaller, quicker players that don't fit as well into the conventional offense. While everyone is going after the 6'5" 360lb OL, we don't even want him. If we can find one with size, that's great, but quickness and strength are more important.

The high school QB who was the best athlete on the field at every game, but doesn't fit the NFL mold for QB that so many schools look for is our guy. Lots of schools get something out of saying they send players to the NFL. We're trying to win college football championships and we've had very few go to the NFL.

Short answer is "yes" - TO teams can do more with less, but speed is the key ingredient over size.

Smitty
November 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM

We currently run the Pistol. However we do have a strong running back core and a quick red shirt FR QB. But all of this may change with the new leadership.

ASU_Fanatic
November 14th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Don't worry we're leaving ;)True dat

Eagle22
November 14th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Given the prolific scoring offenses in the SoCon, WCU might be better suited to find a defensive minded guru that can shore up that side of the ball. Western, to my recollection, has been able to put some points on the board in recent years but simply cannot stop anyone on defense.

Smitty
November 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Given the prolific scoring offenses in the SoCon, WCU might be better suited to find a defensive minded guru that can shore up that side of the ball. Western, to my recollection, has been able to put some points on the board in recent years but simply cannot stop anyone on defense.

That is what I am hoping.

ASU_Fanatic
November 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
That is what I am hoping.You guys had the worst offense these eyes have ever seen Saturday.

Smitty
November 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM
You guys had the worst offense these eyes have ever seen Saturday.

Really? Out of all the WCU football games you have seen 2011 is the worst? I probably would have gone with 2006-08 as the worst.

ASU_Fanatic
November 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Really? Out of all the WCU football games you have seen 2011 is the worst? I probably would have gone with 2006-08 as the worst.

Just on that specific day, you guys only had like 2 first downs midway through the third quarter.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM

Oklahoma in the 70's perfected it and Oklahoma could recruit any athlete they desired at that time. It requires much quickness at all positions.

SoCon48
November 17th, 2011, 11:31 PM
True dat

But WTH is App going? The SunBelt would be less than a lateral move. The travel budget will be exorbitant no matter where the Apps land. Minor sports will have to be dropped. Fans and donors will have to put up with some losing seasons and hell many can't even stomach a 3 loss season at this point. Tons want Jerry and company fired already.

cbarrier90
November 17th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Tons want Jerry and company fired already.

Five or six ranting folks on message boards and blogs hardly count as "tons." There's a difference between wanting a coach "fired" and wanting a change in staff or overall philosophy.

I don't like the Sun Belt either, but your view on the move is a bit extreme in my opinion. The fact that App is on its way to another attendance title this season nullifies your argument about "not stomaching" three losses.

SoCon48
November 18th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Five or six ranting folks on message boards and blogs hardly count as "tons." There's a difference between wanting a coach "fired" and wanting a change in staff or overall philosophy.

I don't like the Sun Belt either, but your view on the move is a bit extreme in my opinion. The fact that App is on its way to another attendance title this season nullifies your argument about "not stomaching" three losses.

Have you read rivals lately. There are a lot more thanfive or six on the MMB. There are whole threads relegated to criticizing Jeery Mootre and the O-line coach.
Not sure how many will attend games 700 miles away vs directional schools. My views are not extreme when you consider how many e-mails I get from MMB'ers who don't want to get shouted down or drawn into pissing matches on the MMB.
I wouldn't be surprised if we have a couple back to back losing seasons in FBS which would be our first seasons since early in JM's career at App.

SoCon48
November 18th, 2011, 01:37 AM
There are many who are calling for the OL coach to be fired in the offseason and imply that Jerry doesn't have the guts to do so.

JMU_71
November 18th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Y'all should go after Withers at UNC-CH. He's a classy guy. You know UNC-Ch is tossing him at the end of the season; he's an App grad who sticks his foot in his mouth and gets the verbal beat down from the most boring man in college football (Tom O'Brien).

ASU_Fanatic
November 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Western should at least ask Phil Fulmer or Houston Nutt (assuming he gets fired from Ole Miss) both coaches have made trips to BCS bowl games and have coached and won against the very best. Two guys that are reaching the latter half of their career, but could still have 15-20 years left in the tank. I think both still want to be around football and WCU is in such a beautiful setting and has that nice little southern charm to it, I could see possibly one of them being attracted to it because they won't be under near as much national pressure anymore but still get to coach at a high level. They should give it a shot.

catamount man
November 19th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Through some circles today before the CCU game, I was told of 2 coaches who may have or HAVE already contacted WCU. Let's just say, IF TRUE, I am smiling.xthumbsupx

ASU_Fanatic
November 19th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Through some circles today before the CCU game, I was told of 2 coaches who may have or HAVE already contacted WCU. Let's just say, IF TRUE, I am smiling.xthumbsupx

If it's the two I just said you all need to deem me Jesus of AGS, right now.

catamount man
November 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM
It's not. They are not what WCU needs.

ASU_Fanatic
November 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
It's not. They are not what WCU needs.Yes that would be a dream, homerun hire for WCU.

T-Dog
November 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Sewak?

catamount man
November 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I have not heard Sewak's name mentioned but again, of 5 coaches that have inquired, I only know of 2 mentioned by name. My lips are sealed until further notice. Of the 2 named, I like 1 and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love the other 1. Until next time....xnodx

ASU_Fanatic
November 27th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Any more news?

GridCaptain
November 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Dead end job. Dead end program.

Smitty
November 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Any more news?

Nope not yet. Probably waiting for the new AD so he can have a say in it as well.