PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern got one vote in the AP Polls

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2011, 01:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings?poll=1

If that doesn't tell you who should be seeded, I don't know what should!?

GATA Eagles!

gasoutherneagle
November 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM
"I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!! BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN!
I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!! BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAAAaaaaaAAAAAIN!"

Apphole
November 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM
App was ranked #25 in the AP following our Michigan win. What has GaSo done to even compare to that? Sorry I think this is ridiculous. You won't get any votes after Bama destroys you.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
App was ranked #25 in the AP following our Michigan win. What has GaSo done to even compare to that? Sorry I think this is ridiculous. You won't get any votes after Bama destroys you.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of 9 Southern Conference titles.

gasoutherneagle
November 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks for keeping OUR throne warm during Georgia Southern's hiatus. But, we are now back where we belong. And, so is CrAppy... in second. Get over it, your reign at the top is over.

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Congrats to Georgia Southern. Nice to have y'all back

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of 9 Southern Conference titles.

Hmm. Y'all have a lot to brag about... but, you know App has 11, right?

Also, y'all should write a thank-you note to Furman and Wofford since y'all couldn't get it done yourself. ;)

gasoutherneagle
November 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM
DAMN! These grapes are really REALLY sour! Wooo.

Gringer1
November 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM

http://www.iconoclast-investor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Take-Not-Thyself-To-Seriously2.png

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
When it the latest in a season that a FCS team made it in the top 25 or at least received votes???

It is a pretty big accomplishment to receive it before the last week of the season especially when playing Alabama for that last game even if we do get our butt kicked.

GSUEagle08
November 13th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I really have no clue why they gave us a vote.

I think Saban had some one vote for us so that when they play us next week and whoop us, he can say he beat the best FCS team. That way, their SOS is better and can go to the MNC.

eagle07
November 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Not trying to belittle our accomplishment by getting a vote but, anyone else think this might be a bama supporter trying to make the game look alittle better to voters?

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Also, y'all should write a thank-you note to Furman and Wofford since y'all couldn't get it done yourself. ;)

And just for you, 6>3 :)

Apphole
November 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM
We proved how over ratted you are in Boone. You have one out of the last 7 to our 6. You'll have the throne when we're playing in bowl games.

superman7515
November 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
When it the latest in a season that a FCS team made it in the top 25 or at least received votes???

It is a pretty big accomplishment to receive it before the last week of the season especially when playing Alabama for that last game even if we do get our butt kicked.

Delaware last season was the week before the Nova game.

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Not trying to belittle our accomplishment by getting a vote but, anyone else think this might be a bama supporter trying to make the game look alittle better to voters?

Still a vote right?? I don't put it past them though.

Could it be #3 vs #3 though??? Would have a nice ring to it!

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Delaware last season was the week before the Nova game.

What week?

GoGSU
November 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
We can thank Furman and Woffy....and YOU can thank Van Gorder and Hatcher for your Championships....

GoGSU
November 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
We proved how over ratted you are in Boone. You have one out of the last 7 to our 6. You'll have the throne when we're playing in bowl games.

your toilet bowl games against Troy or Middle Tenn! HA

GSUEagle08
November 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
We can thank Furman and Woffy....and YOU can thank Van Gorder and Hatcher for your Championships....

LOL! So true.

superman7515
November 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM
What week?

Week 11 and Week 12 last season.

gasoutherneagle
November 13th, 2011, 02:04 PM

We'll see how good you are in Statesboro... in December!

GSUEagle08
November 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
We'll see how good you are in Statesboro... in December!

It should be a cool 85 degrees by then, right?

SpeedkingATL
November 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
It's great anytime an FCS gets a vote in the AP, if it's SoCon all the better. Wish it was App but congrats to GaSo.

(Sure it wasn't Georgia State?????)

cannonballgsu
November 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
It's great anytime an FCS gets a vote in the AP, if it's SoCon all the better. Wish it was App but congrats to GaSo.

With their recent win over that Div II team......oh....wait....

Not sure why Apphole is so butt hurt by this???

GSUEagle08
November 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I agree. Anytime a SOCON team gets press, I like it.

GA State may get a vote in the NAIA poll. ;)

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Oh God, here we go-- another bazillion pages of App/GSU talk.

Gringer1
November 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM

App State played a great game. Georgia Southern played a great season.

asucrutch23
November 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM

No we weren't. The most points we had was 19 following week 3 of that year. #25 Texas A&M had 243 points. I don't know who started spreading this but I've heard several App fans say we were in the top 25 and it just isn't true. Congrats to GSU on the vote.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/year/2007/week/3

DJnva
November 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'm quite sure the voters meant Georgia State. Didn't you hear? They play in the Georgia Dome and hired Bill Curry.

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Yes indeed that juggernaut Georgia State

eagle07
November 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Here is who we have to thank for our vote

His name is Ray Ratto, Comcast Sports Bay Area (San Francisco)

http://www.pollspeak.com/component/option,com_psreport/Itemid,3/lang,en/p,36/p_1,36/r,V/r_1,V/s,17/s_1,17/t1,0/t1_1,0/t2,0/t2_1,0/v,53/v_1,53/w,12/w_1,12/

Did some digging and cant find a credible link to alabama or nick saban, so the alabama theory may not be true

Baldy
November 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Yeah, in 40 years. GSU has 9 championships in 18. Do the math. :p

Since you lost to Furman and Wofford, doesn't that mean that the Appies were the ones who couldn't get it done? :D

xangelx

cbarrier90
November 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Here is who we have to thank for our vote

His name is Ray Ratto, Comcast Sports Bay Area (San Francisco)

http://www.pollspeak.com/component/option,com_psreport/Itemid,3/lang,en/p,36/p_1,36/r,V/r_1,V/s,17/s_1,17/t1,0/t1_1,0/t2,0/t2_1,0/v,53/v_1,53/w,12/w_1,12/

Did some digging and cant find a credible link to alabama or nick saban, so the alabama theory may not be true

I believe Ratto also voted EWU and Nova into the Top 25 after their respective national titles.

Congrats, GSU!

Eagle22
November 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Since we joined the SoCon in 1993 ?

App has been in the SoCon a lot longer than that. Surely you have more than 11 ?

Yeah, we had an assist. Spent the better part of the last couple of years wandering around aimlessly. Along the way some of our lesser teams were able to snap your home win streak and keep our record of the two best home win streaks.

It is a shame we have to share the distinction of being the only teams in the illustrious history to have six consecutive SoCon titles, but it is what it is.

cbarrier90
November 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, in 40 years. GSU has 9 championships in 18. Do the math. :p

11 > 9 :p

And yeah, yeah, I know... "6 > 3" xlolx

Baldy
November 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Since you put it that way....
Appy lost to Wofford by 14 and to Furman by 10. GSU beat Furman by 30 and Wofford by 21. If anything, it proves that your win in Boone was nothing but a fluke of monumental proportions. xeekx

xlolx

Apphole
November 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Since you put it that way....
Appy lost to Wofford by 14 and to Furman by 10. GSU beat Furman by 30 and Wofford by 21. If anything, it proves that your win in Boone was nothing but a fluke of monumental proportions. xeekx

xlolx

You just won your first SoCon after we won 6 and we're the fluke?

Another important inequality:
30,000>20,000

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Another important inequality:
30,000>20,000

And you won your first National Championship after we'd already won 6.

We can do this allllll day.

blueballs
November 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
App State played a great game. Georgia Southern played a great season.

This.

NDB
November 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
The voter obviously confused NDSU and Georgia Southern.

Baldy
November 13th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I'll repeat it for you, GSU has 9 SoCon Championships in 18 years compared to your 11 in 40. Yes, you are the fluke. xnodx

Enjoy you consolation prize victory. xlolx

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'll repeat it for you, GSU has 9 SoCon Championships in 18 years compared to your 11 in 40. Yes, you are the fluke. xnodx

Enjoy you consolation prize victory. xlolx

Trailing the all-time series to a fluke like ASU must really sting the ego, huh? Congrats on taking advantage of the 'Appalachian State rule' and getting a vote in the AP though!
AP: Lower-division schools eligible thanks to Mountaineers (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3008022)

In all seriousness though, y'all have had a hell of a season and deserve to crow about it a bit. Maybe we will meet again in Frisco!

GSU Eagle
November 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Nothing against App. but I am glad that if we meet again this year it should either be in Statesboro or Frisco.

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2011, 07:28 PM
In all seriousness though, y'all have had a hell of a season and deserve to crow about it a bit. Maybe we will meet again in Frisco!

How annoying would if be if GaSo and App had to go all the way to Frisco to play for a championship!?! Just play it at the GA Dome... but it would be hard to top Ga State's attendance record!xlolx

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2011, 07:28 PM
+1

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM
How annoying would if be if GaSo and App had to go all the way to Frisco to play for a championship!?! Just play it at the GA Dome... but it would be hard to top Ga State's attendance record!xlolx

Maybe we could rent it from Georgia State.....oh wait...

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Maybe we could rent it from Georgia State.....oh wait...

All kidding aside, Ga Dome probably would not be a bad idea for a championship game sometime.... especially since GSU is BACK!! Nice 45 min drive from my house every January!

HailSzczur
November 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I believe Ratto also voted EWU and Nova into the Top 25 after their respective national titles.

Congrats, GSU!

Nova actually got 2 votes that year
http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2009/week/1/seasontype/3
while EWU only got 1
http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2010/seasontype/3

GaSouthern
November 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I think a GSU vs App national championship in the Georgia Dome could bring about 40K fans.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I think a GSU vs App national championship in the Georgia Dome could bring about 40K fans.

I'd love it just for the fact that it would piss Georgia State fans off so much for us to outdraw them in "their" stadium. :)

HailSzczur
November 13th, 2011, 08:26 PM
No we weren't. The most points we had was 19 following week 3 of that year. #25 Texas A&M had 243 points. I don't know who started spreading this but I've heard several App fans say we were in the top 25 and it just isn't true. Congrats to GSU on the vote.

They were receiving votes 3 different weeks that season, now thats impressive

Hammersmith
November 13th, 2011, 08:33 PM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/ncaa/news/Rattos-AP-Top-25-Poll-1113?blockID=593462&feedID=8306

Georgia Southern @25: "Sorry, I cannot type another mediocre FBS team. I simply cannot."

HailSzczur
November 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/ncaa/news/Rattos-AP-Top-25-Poll-1113?blockID=593462&feedID=8306

Georgia Southern @25: "Sorry, I cannot type another mediocre FBS team. I simply cannot."

Can't argue with that logic. You suck less than the rest of the guys out there.

Block-A
November 15th, 2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.gadaily.com/index.php/sports/39-local-sports/3237-gsu-recieves-votes-in-ap-top-25-poll

'In an email, Ratto said, “Simply put, I wearied of trying to find three-loss FBS teams with no signature wins and some good losses, and look at the best FCS teams, because I believe the elite FCS teams hold their own with all but the best 20 to 30 FBS teams. North Dakota State, which would have been my first choice, lost to Youngstown State, and Montana State didn’t play. Thus, it was Georgia Southern or Sam Houston State and Georgia Southern was both ranked higher and play in a tougher conference.”'

Twentysix
November 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Pretty sure thats not true. Can you post the poll for proof? I am fairly certain FCS teams could not recieve votes when that game happened.

UNIFanSince1983
November 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I wonder if that guy is an Alabama fan trying to boost their chances of making it back into the championship by making their SOS tougher since they are playing a team receiving votes...

UNIFanSince1983
November 15th, 2011, 06:53 PM
http://www.gadaily.com/index.php/sports/39-local-sports/3237-gsu-recieves-votes-in-ap-top-25-poll

'In an email, Ratto said, “Simply put, I wearied of trying to find three-loss FBS teams with no signature wins and some good losses, and look at the best FCS teams, because I believe the elite FCS teams hold their own with all but the best 20 to 30 FBS teams. North Dakota State, which would have been my first choice, lost to Youngstown State, and Montana State didn’t play. Thus, it was Georgia Southern or Sam Houston State and Georgia Southern was both ranked higher and play in a tougher conference.”'

The sad thing is this guy knows more about FCS football than half the people that vote in the actual FCS polls.

ASUMountaineer
November 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Um, congrats to GSU on your vote. With ASU being the first to receive AP votes, it's a cool thing. I thought WoCo would put up a fight, but you guys deserved the SoCon this year.

Other than that, why do so many ASU fans care? GSU won the SoCon, hopefully ASU can do some damage in the playoffs, but we have to get there first.

Having said all of that, I hate GSU more than any other college team. This level of hate is monumental, it really is disturbing sometimes. In fact, solely based on GSU I have a deep hatred for any team that uses the TO offense. I hate it, I loathe it, I root against any team using it. But, here's the best part...I hope the hatred I feel toward the fans of East Georgia University (and that nasty-***, gnat-infested creek) is reciprocal with Stink fans. After all, misery loves company.

Now, here's to meeting the Stink again in the playoffs and winning--again. xbeerdrinkx

DJnva
November 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Pretty sure thats not true. Can you post the poll for proof? I am fairly certain FCS teams could not recieve votes when that game happened.

It's not true.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2007/week/2

Didn't receive a vote in either poll.

Rekdiver
November 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM
There was no vote for GSU. It was a hanging chad............

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM
It's not true.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/year/2007/week/2

Didn't receive a vote in either poll.

It is not true that we were ranked. It is true, however, that we received votes. FCS teams are eligible for this poll because of our win against Michigan, hence the nicknamed 'Appalachian State Rule'.

AP: Lower-division schools eligible thanks to Mountaineers (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3008022)

Check week 3 once the rule went into effect. We received 19 votes.

Rekdiver
November 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Idiot....look at week 3 Others receiving votes: South Florida 220, Missouri 144, Alabama 116, Washington 95, TCU 66, Arizona State 28, Auburn 23, Appalachian State 19, Cincinnati 12, Florida State 2, Iowa 1, Kansas 1, Purdue 1,

I-16Bandit
November 16th, 2011, 01:52 PM
App even recieved votes in the final rankings in '07. Crazy.

OL FU
November 16th, 2011, 02:08 PM
There's one in every crowdxnodx

Fear the Bird
November 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Idiot....look at week 3 Others receiving votes: South Florida 220, Missouri 144, Alabama 116, Washington 95, TCU 66, Arizona State 28, Auburn 23, Appalachian State 19, Cincinnati 12, Florida State 2, Iowa 1, Kansas 1, Purdue 1,

I don't think we were talking about week 3, but week 1 and 2 as the "App St rule" did not go into effect until the week after the Michigan win

Twentysix
November 16th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Your toothless brethern were proclaming they were #25 in the big boy poll.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/1/1/129068587807073889.jpg

asucrutch23
November 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Your toothless brethern were proclaming they were #25 in the big boy poll.

I already put him in his place, Twentysix. It'd be nice if we knew what we're talking about before we just spouted off nonsense. xrolleyesx

Twentysix
November 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I already put him in his place, Twentysix. It'd be nice if we knew what we're talking about before we just spouted off nonsense. xrolleyesx

Well rep to you then.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM

and between both school's set of fans you might have a complete set of teeth. It'd be something great for both of you!

I'm gonna go back to my ranch now :D

Eaglesrus
November 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Hey, it's not as bad as the Eagles and Furman having had to go to Tacoma. Personally, I'd rather go to Frisco than the GA Dome.