A bit of shuffling around from last week:
1. Montana State
2. Sam Houston
3. North Dakota State
4. Georgia Southern
5. Northern Iowa

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 01:10 PM
That is awful. No team from the CAA seeded? And Towson (who beat ODU on the road) goes on the road to App St, while ODU hosts Lehigh? That seems likely an unnecessary amount of travel for Towson and Lehigh. I expect Towson to host us and ODU to be in a play-in game. Both may be 9-2, but ODU didn't play Maine or UNH.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
That is awful. No team from the CAA seeded? And Towson (who beat ODU on the road) goes on the road to App St, while ODU hosts Lehigh? That seems likely an unnecessary amount of travel for Towson and Lehigh. I expect Towson to host us and ODU to be in a play-in game. Both may be 9-2, but ODU didn't play Maine or UNH.

Other than what you noted and I agree with, this bracket looks pretty solid. I personally would also move GSU #2, SHSU #3, and NDSU #4, along with moving the play-in games to keep the travel as is.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2011, 01:27 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

A bit of shuffling around from last week:
1. Montana State
2. Sam Houston
3. North Dakota State
4. Georgia Southern
5. Northern Iowa

If Montana wins does SHSU move up to the #1?

GeauxLions94
November 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
UCA would get a home game against Indy State? Whoever goes to Conway had better bring ice skates. You're going to need them on that field.

UIWWildthing
November 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM

So the CAA champ goes on the road, while a team they beat gets a home game? WTF??
Oh and this is a week AFTER Towson had a home game, I don't get it

DJKyR0
November 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM

I think with the precedent of not rewarding SFA last season after running through the Southland, SHSU gets leapfrogged by Georgia Southern or perhaps even NDSU if Montana State loses. MHO.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM
God the 1/4 side of that bracket is pretty brutal.

However I really don't see Sam Houston State being a number 2 seed. They've played ONE team with a winning record. ONE. Oh big whoop they beat a winless FBS team. That's still a trash victory.

Also, NDSU only dropping to three is awful. Georgia Southern lost to the then #5 team on the road and fell to #5. NDSU loses to an unranked team at home and they only go to 3? Bull****.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM

However I really don't see Sam Houston State being a number 2 seed. They've played ONE team with a winning record. ONE. Oh big whoop they beat a winless FBS team. That's still a trash victory.

Also, NDSU only dropping to three is awful. Georgia Southern lost to the then #5 team on the road and fell to #5. NDSU loses to an unranked team at home and they only go to 3? Bull****.

Yep, NDSU should just be forced into a play in game. Our resume is terrible with three wins vs ranked teams and one win vs a Big 10 team. Everything must be based on what happened the last week...throw the results of anything that happened before that away!

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM
So the CAA champ goes on the road, while a team they beat gets a home game? WTF??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DoubleE
November 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
No YSU but ISUr and ISUb ? i dont buy it. YSU has a much better resume then ISUb and if ISUr loses to UNI then them too

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree that it's all about money. ODU has sold out all 6 home games with 19,818 in attendance at each. Towson, however, has averaged just 8,575 in its 6 home games. Sadly, Towson may not host a home game for the same reason as Lehigh: poor attendance.

Eagle16
November 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Yep, NDSU should just be forced into a play in game. Our resume is terrible with three wins vs ranked teams and one win vs a Big 10 team. Everything must be based on what happened the last week...throw the results of anything that happened before that away!

They should drop to at least 6 or 7.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM
They should drop to at least 6 or 7.

How many FCS teams have three wins vs ranked teams(one vs a top 5 team) and a win vs a BCS conference team?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM
How many FCS teams have three wins vs ranked teams(one vs a top 5 team) and a win vs a BCS conference team?

NONE!!!

When we finish 10-1 we will be a top 3 seed....could be higher depending on what happens next week.

heath
November 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM
think Norfolk St to Liberty in 1st round and think ODU to App St and Lehigh to Towson in 2nd make more sense

Eagle16
November 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Probably the same number of teams that were ranked #1 and lost to an unranked team at home...YOU.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Probably the same number of teams that were ranked #1 and lost to an unranked team at home...YOU.

YSU will be ranked and is a potential playoff team...Nice try though.

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Only reason they'll be ranked this week is because they beat #1 NDSU on the road. Don't think they would have sneaked into the top 25 with a loss.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Only reason they'll be ranked this week is because they beat #1 NDSU on the road. Don't think they would have sneaked into the top 25 with a loss.

They also beat Illinois State so I wouldn't say NDSU is the only reason.

andy7171
November 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
If Towson doesn't get a seed, which seems impossible unless the ***** the bed in Rhody, and it comes down to us and Appy. Hands down I'll be traveling top Boone.

A 9-2 CAA champion Towson gets a high seed. We took Maryland to the 4th quarter down 14-3. And lost by 5 in a sleet storm to Delaware.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM

What are you talking about they were not ranked when they beat you, so you lost to an unranked team. You don't then count what they will be ranked?

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 02:50 PM
What are you talking about they were not ranked when they beat you, so you lost to an unranked team. You don't then count what they will be ranked?

YSU will be ranked based on their body of work, not solely on what happened vs NDSU. If we had lost to a 3-6 team, I doubt they'd be ranked just because they beat us.

joecooll6
November 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM

I think people overlook SHSU. They are clearly a very good, top 5 caliber team. They play in a weak league but they DOMINATED that league. Never took a week off. Closest league win was 31-10 over UCA. Their overall league total was like 308-67 I believe or something like that. Just my xtwocentsx .

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
They also beat Illinois State so I wouldn't say NDSU is the only reason.

Other than Illinois St in Week 3 and NDSU, they beat 1-9 Valparaiso, 3-7 Southern Illinois, 2-9 St. Francis, and 2-8 Western Illinois. Had they lost to NDSU, a 5-5 team would not have deserved any consideration of being ranked. So NDSU win is almost entirely responsible for any ranking.

joecooll6
November 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Other than Illinois St in Week 3 and NDSU, they beat 1-9 Valparaiso, 3-7 Southern Illinois, 2-9 St. Francis, and 2-8 Western Illinois. Had they lost to NDSU, a 5-5 team would not have deserved any consideration of being ranked. So NDSU win is almost entirely responsible for any ranking.

If they had lost to Ill. State and their win over NDSU got them to 5-5 they probably wouldnt be ranked, and even if they were they would certainly not be ranked as high. I think YSU with that signature win looks better than Indy St right now.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM

You have a Patriot League education? YSU will be ranked based on their body of work in comparison to other teams, not solely based on one game. We are in week 11 not week 2.

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM
You have a Patriot League education? YSU will be ranked based on their body of work in comparison to other teams, not solely based on one game. We are in week 11 not week 2.

Wow, nice jab. I don't see what my two degrees from a Patriot League institution have to do with an accurate assessment of a mediocre team's qualifications for being ranked, but to each his own.

My point is that YSU has two wins against winning teams, and 4 against opponents with atrocious records. In comparison to other teams, I don't feel that their body of work outside of the NDSU is worth even being considered for a top 25 ranking.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Wow, nice jab. I don't see what my two degrees from a Patriot League institution have to do with an accurate assessment of a mediocre team's qualifications for being ranked, but to each his own.

My point is that YSU has two wins against winning teams, and 4 against opponents with atrocious records. In comparison to other teams, I don't feel that their body of work outside of the NDSU is worth even being considered for a top 25 ranking.

I could probably name at least five teams they should be ranked over. Question did you watch YSU play Michigan State? The Guins gave the Spartans a very tough game.

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I could probably name at least five teams they should be ranked over. Question did you watch YSU play Michigan State? The Guins gave the Spartans a very tough game.

After yesterday's win, yes, they deserve consideration in the top 25. Had they lost, I don't think a 5-5 record would have warranted a ranking. Also, as you said we're in week 11, not week 1.

I did not watch that game. A 28-6 loss isn't exactly a "very tough game." Looking at the box score and scoring summary, it does look like YSU played a competitive first half.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM
This kid doesn't understand the geographical factor. If Montana St. is #1, NDSU will be #4. SHSU #2 and GSU #3. I like the idea of Wofford and App being in the other side of the bracket from us, but we'll all three be on the same side.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 03:39 PM
This kid doesn't understand the geographical factor. If Montana St. is #1, NDSU will be #4. SHSU #2 and GSU #3. I like the idea of Wofford and App being in the other side of the bracket from us, but we'll all three be on the same side.

I agree, but GSU will be over SHSU, particularly given their attendance this weekend

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Not sure geography matters when NDSU is a long ways away from Montana State, 12 hours by car.

LEHIGH61
November 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Of course!

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I think people overlook SHSU. They are clearly a very good, top 5 caliber team. They play in a weak league but they DOMINATED that league. Never took a week off. Closest league win was 31-10 over UCA. Their overall league total was like 308-67 I believe or something like that. Just my xtwocentsx .

Even though I know you cannot use transitive properties when comparing two teams, look at their game against UTSA. Compare their victory of 15 points to the one by SUU (23 points) and UC Davis (19 points). Neither SUU or UC Davis will make the playoffs but yet they both beat UTSA by greater margins.

Once again, I know, transitive reasoning doesn't work, but it does point out that SHSU is not as strong as everyone seems to think they are.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
SHSU is the Boise State of the FCS.

eagle07
November 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
November 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Not sure geography matters when NDSU is a long ways away from Montana State, 12 hours by car.

But still way closer to MSU than either GSU, SHSU, or Towson.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
But still way closer to MSU than either GSU, SHSU, or Towson.

Dezactly. GSU would have to take two buses, one train, and three airplanes to get to Bozman!

UNHFootballAlum
November 13th, 2011, 05:21 PM
UNH will not travel to Ill St with Albany much closer. If they are in the 1st round, Albany will travel to UNH

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Even though I know you cannot use transitive properties when comparing two teams, look at their game against UTSA. Compare their victory of 15 points to the one by SUU (23 points) and UC Davis (19 points). Neither SUU or UC Davis will make the playoffs but yet they both beat UTSA by greater margins.

Once again, I know, transitive reasoning doesn't work, but it does point out that SHSU is not as strong as everyone seems to think they are.

And you forget to mention that SHSU was playing with their back-up QB against UTSA... their starting QB may not produce the numbers that the top QBs in FCS do, but he is an excellent manager of the game and is one of the national leaders in passing efficiency.

The SHSU defense was VERY effective in the game, but to call on the offensive production without realizing that shows that your reasoning is a bit flawed!

TexasTerror
November 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM
SHSU will be no worse than a No. 3 seed if they win next week.

I've said it all along that an undefeated Bearkat team, particularly with the manner of which they have run through the SLC will not be seeded higher than some of the one-loss teams out there, but I can certainly not see us having to travel until the semifinals.

danefan
November 13th, 2011, 05:47 PM
UNH will not travel to Ill St with Albany much closer. If they are in the 1st round, Albany will travel to UNH

+1

243 miles

tribefan40
November 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM
LAUGHABLE that the projected CAA champ is not seeded. Total joke. If Towson wins next week they are a top 3 if not top 2 seed.

tribefan40
November 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
For some reason I still see SHSU getting the five seed - I know this isn't a popular opinion - and the winner of the UNH/Maine game getting the bye and heading down there for the 2nd round...

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
For some reason I still see SHSU getting the five seed - I know this isn't a popular opinion - and the winner of the UNH/Maine game getting the bye and heading down there for the 2nd round...

Based on what happened to SFA last year, that could definitely happen. I don't think anyone has a real clear idea as to where they may end up.

mainejeff
November 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
My Bracket Projection (assumes a Maine over UNH, Stony Brook over Liberty and Northern Iowa over Illinois State):

Indiana State @ Stony Brook..........Winner @ #1 Montana State

Albany @ UNH........Winner @ #2 Georgia Southern

Norfolk State @ ODU.........Winner @ #3 Sam Houston State

Tennessee Tech @ Central Arkansas.........Winner @ #4 North Dakota State

Lehigh @ #5 Northern Iowa

Towson @ Appalachian State

Maine @ Montana

Illinois State @ Wofford

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM
SHSU will be the #2 seed if Montana St wins and #1 if Montana wins - and they will have earned it. The Southland is not the most competitive conference, but it's next in line behind SoConn, CAA, Big Sky, and MVC. Going 11-0 is no easy task and they should be respected and rewarded for it. I would say the same about an OVC team and would cut it off there depending on OOC schedule of a Patriot, NEC, or MEAC team.

Towson will be a #5 seed because GSU and NDSU will outbid them, which matters. App will be in GSU's bracket because the NCAA will want that as a TV game if they both get to that point. The same goes for pairing UNI/NDSU and Montana/Montana St.

I actually hate it when teams from the same conference have to face each other before the semi's because we've already seen that. I like the old 16 seed way of doing things.

hawkineer
November 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
My Bracket Projection (assumes a Maine over UNH,

I can't imagine that LU would be sent to N. Iowa again this year. I think that they have a date with a CAA team.

danefan
November 13th, 2011, 06:37 PM
My Bracket Projection (assumes a Maine over UNH, Stony Brook over Liberty and Northern Iowa over Illinois State):

Maine @ Montana

Illinois State @ Wofford

Lehigh vs. Towson is a virtual lock in the 2nd round at this point. The only way that doesn't happen is if they both get Top 4 seeds or Lehigh loses to Lafayette and somehow falls into the first round.

TTUEagles
November 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM

Maine @ Montana

Illinois State @ Wofford

Love this for Tennessee Tech (selfishly, for me) I've been given the "OK" from the wife to go anywhere and everywhere for the playoffs IF TTU can get in for the first time in history. I'm so ecstatic I cannot contain myself!!! I could easily make that trip!

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I can't imagine that LU would be sent to N. Iowa again this year. I think that they have a date with a CAA team.

I hope you are right.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 07:08 PM

Maine @ Montana

Illinois State @ Wofford

No seed for Towson? If the attendance matters for where Towson is seeded, doesn't it apply to SHSU as well. I just can't see Towson not being seeded.

LehighU11
November 13th, 2011, 07:10 PM
No seed for Towson? If the attendance matters for where Towson is seeded, doesn't it apply to SHSU as well. I just can't see Towson not being seeded.

I suppose it's easier to justify an 11-0 team with attendance issues being seeded than it is for a 9-2 team, albeit the champ from the CAA.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I suppose it's easier to justify an 11-0 team with attendance issues being seeded than it is for a 9-2 team, albeit the champ from the CAA.

Who has SHSU beaten? I see UCA as Liberty. I highly doubt an 11-0 Lehigh gets the same respect if we beat UNH. I don't argue that Lehigh still has to prove itself and even had they beaten UNH, a top 5 ranking would be unlikely. However, I am at a loss for the love that SHSU is getting given the schedule they have played.

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
And you forget to mention that SHSU was playing with their back-up QB against UTSA... their starting QB may not produce the numbers that the top QBs in FCS do, but he is an excellent manager of the game and is one of the national leaders in passing efficiency.

The SHSU defense was VERY effective in the game, but to call on the offensive production without realizing that shows that your reasoning is a bit flawed!

How about their game against WIU then? WIU is 1-6 in the MVC and SHSU only beat them 20-6 at SHSU.

Once again transitive, but when SHSU has played common opponents, a good amount of the luster is taken off. Don't get me wrong, I have no axe to grind, just don't think their undefeated season necessarily warrants the #1 seed.

I don't sit on the committee either, so what I think amounts to jack!

Griz4ever
November 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM

If Montana wins they will probably replace Montana State but only be 5..So yes SHSU should be 1..

Griz4ever
November 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM

Bison are a great team and will be up there for sure but don't put YSU as a playoff team they need 7 FCS wins and dont have them...

katstrapper
November 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I think with the precedent of not rewarding SFA last season after running through the Southland, SHSU gets leapfrogged by Georgia Southern or perhaps even NDSU if Montana State loses. MHO.

If Sam Houston finishes 11-0 next week, how in the hell can you say a team would leap frog the only undefeated team in the country in FCS? That would be an absolute travesty and the national pollsters should have their azz kicked. And I dont want to hear the schedule excuse!! Undefeated is undefeated and I would put this team up against anybody in the country right now..

Lets just take a look at some numbers here since that card will be played..

SHSU is currently ranked in FCS Nationally...

Defense

#2 Total Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#1 Scoring Defense
#2 Turnover Margin
#4 Turnovers Gained
#2 Pass Eff Defense

Offense
#23 Total Offense
#1 Scoring Offense
#8 Rushing Offense
#3 Pass Efficiency
#3 Time of Possession

Sam Houston has outscored their opponents 398-125 through ten games. This team isnt just getting by opponents, they are dominating opponents.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 08:16 PM
If Sam Houston finishes 11-0 next week, how in the hell can you say a team would leap frog the only undefeated team in the country in FCS? That would be an absolute travesty and the national pollsters should have their azz kicked. And I dont want to hear the schedule excuse!! Undefeated is undefeated and I would put this team up against anybody in the country right now..

Defense

#2 Total Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#1 Scoring Defense
#2 Turnover Margin
#4 Turnovers Gained
#2 Pass Eff Defense

Offense
#23 Total Offense
#1 Scoring Offense
#8 Rushing Offense
#3 Pass Efficiency
#3 Time of Possession

Sam Houston has outscored their opponents 398-125 through ten games. This team isnt just getting by opponents, they are dominating opponents.

We heard crowing like this from SC State last year.

That went well.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Defense

#2 Total Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#1 Scoring Defense
#2 Turnover Margin
#4 Turnovers Gained
#2 Pass Eff Defense

Offense
#23 Total Offense
#1 Scoring Offense
#8 Rushing Offense
#3 Pass Efficiency
#3 Time of Possession

Toss in your SOS and SHSU looks a lot like HOUSTON.

katstrapper
November 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM
How about their game against WIU then? WIU is 1-6 in the MVC and SHSU only beat them 20-6 at SHSU.

Once again transitive, but when SHSU has played common opponents, a good amount of the luster is taken off. Don't get me wrong, I have no axe to grind, just don't think their undefeated season necessarily warrants the #1 seed.

I don't sit on the committee either, so what I think amounts to jack!

When SHSU played WIU, they were ranked #24 in the polls too.

Engineer86,

I dont know how you can sit there and say SHSU shouldnt be gettting the love they are receiving. When the season started, the SLC had 3 teams ranked in the top 20. Just about every SLC team plays two FBS schools. This was the year SHSU only played one and the season turned out like it did. Again, I would put this team up against anyone in the country. If you watched any Bearkat football you would understand, but you dont so you wont. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you havent seen this team play I dont know how you can voice a solid arguement.

katstrapper
November 13th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Toss in your SOS and SHSU looks a lot like HOUSTON.

And Houston may be getting a shot at a BCS game too since Boise lost last night. SOS is the only arguement everyone of you have. Again, I would put this team up against anyone in FCS. You read paper.... I have seen this team live all season.

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Engineer86,

I dont know how you can sit there and say SHSU shouldnt be gettting the love they are receiving. When the season started, the SLC had 3 teams ranked in the top 20. Just about every SLC team plays two FBS schools. This was the year SHSU only played one and the season turned out like it did. Again, I would put this team up against anyone in the country. If you watched any Bearkat football you would understand, but you dont so you wont. You are entitled to your opinion, but if you havent seen this team play I dont know how you can voice a solid arguement.

Fair point, how many of the Lehigh bashers have seen them play this year?

PantherRob82
November 13th, 2011, 08:33 PM
And Houston may be getting a shot at a BCS game too since Boise lost last night. SOS is the only arguement everyone of you have. Again, I would put this team up against anyone in FCS. You read paper.... I have seen this team live all season.

But who else have you seen?

katstrapper
November 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
One other thing to all the Sam Houston naysayers...

Sam Houston has gone 10-0 with a dominantely underclassman squad. SHSU is only losing 12 seniors from the entire roster this season.

21 Juniors
21 Sophmores
44 Freshman

On offense, SHSU starts 1 freshman, 4 sophmores, 4 juniors, 2 seniors

On defense, SHSU starts 3 sophmores, 5 juniors and 3 seniors

Sam Houston has a total of 7 freshman in the current two deep. I think this team is going to be very good the next several years.

katstrapper
November 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
But who else have you seen?

I have Direct TV so I have watched quite few of the other FCS games across the country. (Ga Southern, App State, Furman, New Hampshire, James Madison, Wofford, Montana St). I am not being a homer here and saying that nobody else is as good. I just get upset when everyone piles on SHSU's accomplishment of 10-0 to this point and their only arguement is schedule. It is VERY hard to go undefeated in college football. I dont care what level or schedule you play.

I am sure that most of you dont know that this year is only Coach Fritz's second year at Sam Houston. He is currently 16-5 in just two seasons. He inherited a program that was 25-28 in its 5 previous seasons. He has back to back Jr College football national championships on his resume at Blinn JC (Tx) where he was 39-5 in four seasons and is the winningest coach at Central Missouri (DII) with a 97-47 record. This guy is a winner!!

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2011, 09:10 PM

Engineer86,

Big whoop on WIU being ranked #24. They have shown they were not worthy of that ranking. It was a carry over from last season. Also, I tried to watch this last game but the ESPN3 feed kept freezing up. We shall see how SHSU fares.

I know you don't like to hear it, but the Southland has gotten absolutely crushed the last couple years in the playoffs. If SHSU can make some noise, then the conference will start getting the respect you say it deserves.

katstrapper
November 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Big whoop on WIU being ranked #24. They have shown they were not worthy of that ranking. It was a carry over from last season. Also, I tried to watch this last game but the ESPN3 feed kept freezing up. We shall see how SHSU fares.

I know you don't like to hear it, but the Southland has gotten absolutely crushed the last couple years in the playoffs. If SHSU can make some noise, then the conference will start getting the respect you say it deserves.

I will not argue with that point because it is true. But, I will also say that SHSU shouldnt get slighted because of last two years of SLC conference performance. Last two years, SFA had no defense and they relied solely on Jeremy Moses arm. They say defense is what wins championships and SHSU's is VERY GOOD. Stats dont lie.

clenz
November 13th, 2011, 09:25 PM

I know you don't like to hear it, but the Southland has gotten absolutely crushed the last couple years in the playoffs. If SHSU can make some noise, then the conference will start getting the respect you say it deserves.I don't know what voters were looking at when the voted WIU at 24....they were picked to finish last in the conference by the coaches , medai and SIDs

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I will not argue with that point because it is true. But, I will also say that SHSU shouldnt get slighted because of last two years of SLC conference performance. Last two years, SFA had no defense and they relied solely on Jeremy Moses arm. They say defense is what wins championships and SHSU's is VERY GOOD. Stats dont lie.

Fair enough man. I have never wished SHSU any ill will.

UNIFanSince1983
November 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Respect has to be earned. Your conference history unfortunately proceeds you. We get slightly more respect in the MVFC, but people still don't want to put the us in the same category as the CAA, SoCon or even Big Sky (which is still odd considering up until last year everyone just called it the Big Fluffy because only Montana ever did anything in the playoffs).

You will have to do some breaking of stereotypes, and that will only happen in the playoffs. We at UNI and in the MVFC have to do the same thing.

ODUsmitty
November 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM
This SLC discussion reminds me of last year's MEAC discussion of having SC State and BCC get in the tournament.

History and tradition are nice, but Meac teams have been playoff "bye weeks" in recent years. Unfortunately, recent history sshows the same pattern for SLC teams, deserved or not. And as much as everyone would like to live in the present, past performance can be an indicator of future results.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM
SHSU will be the #2 seed if Montana St wins and #1 if Montana wins - and they will have earned it. The Southland is not the most competitive conference, but it's next in line behind SoConn, CAA, Big Sky, and MVC. Going 11-0 is no easy task and they should be respected and rewarded for it. I would say the same about an OVC team and would cut it off there depending on OOC schedule of a Patriot, NEC, or MEAC team.

Towson will be a #5 seed because GSU and NDSU will outbid them, which matters. App will be in GSU's bracket because the NCAA will want that as a TV game if they both get to that point. The same goes for pairing UNI/NDSU and Montana/Montana St.

I actually hate it when teams from the same conference have to face each other before the semi's because we've already seen that. I like the old 16 seed way of doing things.

The bids are not even opened until AFTER the seeding process has taken place. You have to understand the process.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM

Defense

#2 Total Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#1 Scoring Defense
#2 Turnover Margin
#4 Turnovers Gained
#2 Pass Eff Defense

Offense
#23 Total Offense
#1 Scoring Offense
#8 Rushing Offense
#3 Pass Efficiency
#3 Time of Possession

This guy sounds like some of those San Diego fans who used to hang out around here.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
The bids are not even opened until AFTER the seeding process has taken place. You have to understand the process.

So the bids aren't opened, but the committee is still thinking about revenue potential and attendance history. We know the Fargo Dome and Paulson will sell and no one in Maryland cares.

PAllen
November 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Holy travel Batman!

Didn't Sports Network used to have decent I-AA coverage?

ngineer
November 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM

Maine @ Montana

Illinois State @ Wofford

Seems to me the return engagement should be at Goodman..(;-)

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 10:02 PM
So the bids aren't opened, but the committee is still thinking about revenue potential and attendance history. We know the Fargo Dome and Paulson will sell and no one in Maryland cares.

Towson has had a substantial boost in interest this season. They have doubled their attendance from what I've been told. That will have NOTHING to do with how high of a seed Towson receives. Now the fact that North Dakota State is a one-loss teams and Towson is a two-loss team (with one being to a BCS opponent) will have more to do with where the seeds go and in what order. With Georgia Southern probably losing to Alabama, the fact that Towson and the Eagles are both in the same boat will make for an interesting decision.

ngineer
November 13th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Like they acknowledge at the top, "They Know Nuthing"....

Indianastate45
November 13th, 2011, 10:05 PM
No YSU but ISUr and ISUb ? i dont buy it. YSU has a much better resume then ISUb and if ISUr loses to UNI then them too

Yea TWO non scholly D1 wins and a head to head loss to Indy State where their tailback set the single game rushing record with 256 yards and the team who also put a 44-16 beatdown on potentially the only Bowl bound FBS team to lose to an FCS team. NDSU was a good win....but not a whole season.

Also the Redbirds didn't even play an FBS team. Indy State played two and did lose a close battle to the Birds. Selection committee will have their hands full.

DoubleE
November 13th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Yea TWO non scholly D1 wins and a head to head loss to Indy State where their tailback set the single game rushing record with 256 yards and the team who also put a 44-16 beatdown on potentially the only Bowl bound FBS team to lose to an FCS team. NDSU was a good win....but not a whole season.

Also the Redbirds didn't even play an FBS team. Indy State played two and did lose a close battle to the Birds. Selection committee will have their hands full.

YSU has 2 wins over top 20 teams. how many does ISUb or ISUr have ?

Fear the Bird
November 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM
YSU has 2 wins over top 20 teams. how many does ISUb or ISUr have ?

What amI missing? Seems ISU-b and YSU have very similar records but ISU-b has h2h why would YSU be in better shape

UIWWildthing
November 13th, 2011, 10:30 PM

I care...
In all seriousness I know $$$ comes into play, but a 9-2 CAA champion Towson team I would think gets a #5 seed

CopperCat
November 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM

Before everybody gets all butthurt, let's look at what has happened. GSU played a top 5 team and slid to #5 from #1. NDSU lost to YSU, a team they were statistically superior to in pretty much every category. YSU was consequently unranked, and thus NDSU should probably take a hit for that. However, NDSU does deserve at least a first round bye and hosting a playoff game, possibly even a #5 seed at this point. I'm probably in the minority in this, but I would even give NDSU a seed over SHSU, simply based on the level of competition that each team has played. So both of you have a point to be made.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Before everybody gets all butthurt, let's look at what has happened. GSU played a top 5 team and slid to #5 from #1. NDSU lost to YSU, a team they were statistically superior to in pretty much every category. YSU was consequently unranked, and thus NDSU should probably take a hit for that. However, NDSU does deserve at least a first round bye and hosting a playoff game, possibly even a #5 seed at this point. I'm probably in the minority in this, but I would even give NDSU a seed over SHSU, simply based on the level of competition that each team has played. So both of you have a point to be made.

Honestly I think NDSU will fall to four or five in the rankings(UNH and Wofford losing helped us), we should remain ahead of UNI. If NDSU wins at WIU, we'll be seeded anywhere from 2 to 5 depending on what happens next week.

CopperCat
November 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Honestly I think NDSU will fall to four or five in the rankings(UNH and Wofford losing helped us), we should remain ahead of UNI. If NDSU wins at WIU, we'll be seeded anywhere from 2 to 5 depending on what happens next week.

I reread my post and I think I should amend it a bit, in that NDSU COULD get anything as high as a #2 seed at this point. If the playoffs started this weekend, I think NDSU would be a #5, but alas there is another weekend of football left before the selection show. If NDSU takes care of business, I realistically think they will be the #3.

lionsrking2
November 14th, 2011, 02:09 AM
UCA would get a home game against Indy State? Whoever goes to Conway had better bring ice skates. You're going to need them on that field.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/408/kigeagreekk7wm4.jpg

frozennorth
November 14th, 2011, 02:09 AM
More like the houston of the fcs.

IaaScribe
November 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Once again .. Norfolk State has publicly stated that it is not submitting a bid for a home game. Norfolk State will be on the road no matter what.

UNH72Plus
November 14th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Before you get too carried away with touting your offensive prowess have a look at the scoring defense rankings of your FCS opponents
McNeese St. - 57th
Northwestern St. - 65th
SFA - 74th
Texas St. - 77th
Central Ark. - 85th
Nichols St. - 108th
Western Ill. - 111th
Lamar - 114th
SE La - 116th

Oh yeah, then there's your signature win against 1-9 New Mexico who have been outscored by the there opponents 364-141.

QUOTE=katstrapper;1722173]If Sam Houston finishes 11-0 next week, how in the hell can you say a team would leap frog the only undefeated team in the country in FCS? That would be an absolute travesty and the national pollsters should have their azz kicked. And I dont want to hear the schedule excuse!! Undefeated is undefeated and I would put this team up against anybody in the country right now..

Defense

#2 Total Defense
#1 Rush Defense
#1 Scoring Defense
#2 Turnover Margin
#4 Turnovers Gained
#2 Pass Eff Defense

Offense
#23 Total Offense
#1 Scoring Offense
#8 Rushing Offense
#3 Pass Efficiency
#3 Time of Possession

Sam Houston has outscored their opponents 398-125 through ten games. This team isnt just getting by opponents, they are dominating opponents.[/QUOTE]

blueballs
November 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM
In 1999 Tennessee State was awarded the #1 seed after going undefeated against a dubious schedule and was promptly sent home in the first round.

GSU was given the #2 seed despite 2 losses (at App and at Oregon State) against a far tougher schedule and proceeded to win their 4 playoff games by 43, 18, 11, and 35 while scoring 197 points in their 4 playoff games.

Sounds like a similar scenario shaping up here...

eaglewraith
November 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
In 1999 Tennessee State was awarded the #1 seed after going undefeated against a dubious schedule and was promptly sent home in the first round.

GSU was given the #2 seed despite 2 losses (at App and at Oregon State) against a far tougher schedule and proceeded to win their 4 playoff games by 43, 18, 11, and 35 while scoring 197 points in their 4 playoff games.

If that means we deliver a pure unadulterated *** whooping in the championship game I'll take it.

WileECoyote06
November 14th, 2011, 11:50 AM

TSU lost their starting QB in the season finale that year. They had a good convincing win over semifinalist FAMU during the regular season; and they were a repeat playoff participant. The scenarios aren't exactly the same.