Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
Yes. There are over 50,000 alumni within an hour of the campus. Play and compete with a decent opponent, and people would take notice.

But those PL fans that cite Georgetown's poor attendance at perhaps the worst facility anywhere in Division I often ignore three truths.

1. No one goes to a stadium that has no parking. Thanks to endless construction, there are less than 50 surface parking spaces left on Georgetown's main campus. Fifty. Want to park a quarter mile away at the hospital? The remaining surface lot there is about be swallowed up by a 477,000 SF hospital addition. Public transit? The Metro rail is a comfortable 5/8 mile walk across Key Bridge. Parking in Georgetown proper is by permit only and urban garages run $15-$25 on a Saturday afternoon. M Street on a Saturday is reminiscent of the 405 Freeway in Los Angeles.

2. No one goes to a stadium that has no amenities. Want a reserved seat? Want to see a video board? Want to see a halftime show? Want restrooms that weren't hauled in from the back of a flatbed truck? Go elsewhere.

And the obvious...

3. No one goes to a stadium whose team does not win. Seventeen losing seasons in its last 18, no home wins in nearly two years, and opponents that frankly draw zero local interest. How many families are going to pile into the mini-van somewhere in Montgomery County on a Saturday morning and drive down to watch this?

Parking - There is plenty of free parking available at garages on campus on Saturdays. Surface would be better for tailgating, but I've never had to pay for parking at a GU game. Most urban schools don't have a lot of free surface parking at this level. Many don't have free parking of any kind within a mile of the stadium. All of the above schools still draw crowds

Reserved seat - The vast majority of schools at this level have most if not all seats as GA

Video Board - Many have thrived without one. People don't go to FB games to watch a video board

Halftime show - I know Lehigh tried has tried to bring their band on several occasions, GU basically said no, so self inflicted. That said, most fans outside of some of the HBCUs don't come to games to watch the halftime show.

Port-A-Potties - Yeah, your stadium is an eyesore.

Opponents that draw local interest - I honestly don't know who that could feasibly be. Villanova isn't going to draw thousands. There are a number of FBS schools that would, but most of those would be visitor fans, and even then, GU isn't in the same galaxy as those programs. If Howard and the Ivies don't draw crowds, then I honestly don't know who would.

Wins - As stated many times, if GU put even a minimum of support into their program, they could be a serious player in the PL every year. If you require regular home wins against ACC, AAC, and BigTen schools to draw crowds, then good luck with that.