Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
That’s actually the Center blocking back on Mack. VERY difficult to snap the ball & take a flat enough step to get something on a hard-charging DLman, who is probably jumping the snap count also. Ideally, if he does that, you just get a wee little piece of him & he takes himself out of the play...as you noted that he did. OL WIN! Yay!

The play is a counter-trap with Option motion. The inside-out positioning of the OT’s going up on the LB’s tells me this is a predetermined give / trap...and the option fakes are window dressing. Love this play...and so many others the ‘Dins are running!! BTW - that EXACT play was a staple of the Paladin Offenses of the late 70’s and 80’s. 22/23 Trap - the counter to 32/33 Veer. Everything old is new again! Happy days are here again!
The 31 and 32 counter-trap was a staple of the old high school offense. The ball carrier was almost always the fullback out of the I, though.

I think plays like this are why some seem to think Furman is an "option team." It looks like an option, but it isn't.

If Furman's version is anything like the one I learned, you are hoping for just enough action in the backfield to get the linebacker to make a false step on what he thinks he sees. You can see that on the Watkins run, the MLB starts attacking the QB option which doesn't exist. By the time he realizes he made the wrong read, Watkins is past him.