Quote Originally Posted by JALMOND View Post
This was 40 years ago and, my opinion, it would have happened eventually; if not then, then probably when ESPN came on the scene. Interesting when the article mentions "TV package" as the dollar explosion brought about by ESPN (and other networks) hadn't happened (and couldn't have even been imagined back then). I know Portland State was 1-AA back then, but soon decided to drop back down to DII shortly after, then returned to DI status (and 1-AA) in 1996. We saw another "split", so to say, just recently with the emergence of the P5/G5 within D1-A. I'm also thinking another split is just on the horizon, possibly involving some of the G5 schools and the upper FCS schools.
I don't think it will be a split, as much as a merger. Don't think it would be a good idea to have 3 distinct D1 football sub groups.

I know there is, but FBS is still considered 1. And, even though some don't agree, a UCF, Boise State, Memphis and so on can theoretical compete for the National Championship (that is technically not recognized by the NCAA).

If you made the G5 and "upper FCS" it's own deal, eventually, you will have the bottom of that class, complaining, saying they need to split so they can be competitive and the top of the other FCS saying, We can compete with them, why are we not there.

I say make it a true FBS and FCS. My opinion, the Sun Belt, half or better of C-USA, the MAC and most of the MWC should be in FCS. I personally don't like watching non meaningful bowl games with schools who just broke .500 to get in and 2000 (if that) fans in the stands.

I also don't think JMU or NDSU should be interested in going FBS, App St and Georgia Southern, Liberty and Coastal all should have stayed to see (and show) how good FCS football could really be.

Just my opinion, but I'm a grass roots person anyway.