Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
Yes...personnel issue too. I think they have a starting LB out injured & the ones they have in there do not appear, to me, to be the fleetest of foot. The speed of Mr. Newman & Woffy’s RB’s is hard to match. IMO, Chatt would have been much better off using 2nd Team Safeties in some of those “LB” positions.

When I had access to Coach View video a few years back, I ‘fell in love’ with a DC when I was really able to see & break down the personnel, alignment, and scheme adaptations he deployed to shut down El Cid’s Option O when it was running through everyone else like poop thru a tin horn (props to Coach Saban). He moved a DE inside as a DT. He changed from a 3-4 base to 4-3. He put his SS in the “SnakeEye” Mike role (like UTC lined up in) to get FAST-er Flow from that position. He put his (usual) Mike (who was fast; just not fast-ER) in an OLB role, and put a back-up SS at the other OLB role. Moved an OLB to a DE role. Then, he “played games” with his (aligned as) DE’s and OLB’s on the edge - stacks, slants, stunts, etc. Totally forked up CIT’s OL Blocking ‘rules.’ Completely revamped his D to adapt to CIT’s O and shut ‘em down cold 2x. He was the DC at Charleston Southern then. Serves in the same role for a SoCon Team now...Purple Team in upstate SC, I believe. With a year of getting HIS guys ‘ramped up’ in HIS methods, I’m looking forward to seeing if he’s cooked up some interesting ‘treats’ for the LittleDogs on Saturday.
Bear… thanks for the comments here. And, it goes to something I'm hoping we will see. Davonta Porter is back listed on the two-deep after being injured in the Clemson game. Porter is a big spur 6-2 225. I'm not sure Staggs knows what to do with Porter yet, he came to Furman as a 6-2 180 safety. I like Willis but Porter IMO has a huge upside and I would love to see him next to McKoy.

Another possible treat is Furman has true freshman Braden Gilby back this week. Perryman plays with emotion and has a high motor but Gilby seems to have that something - granted maybe it's just that he reminds me of Bouton and Jay Their.

One more thought on Furman defensive personnel and this matchup up. In the past, I've felt against Wofford our corners have been easy to get wrapped up in the trash. I don't think we've seen the best of Amir Trapp he at times has played very physical I hope we see that side of his game this weekend. Also doesn't hurt that Furman has a big athletic safety in Okeh (6-4, 212).

On the offensive side… will be curious to see if Furman test Wofford deep? Gordon is an obvious threat, Burnette can run and has a size advantage, and Bell is a different kinda threat that Furman hasn't had in a while. But, maybe the guy to keep an eye on is true freshman Ryan Miller a hybrid TE/WR, Roberts looks his way a good bit, and Miller burned the Cats for a big romp.