Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
It honestly starts at the top with the Chancellor/President and BoR/BoT. If those entities want to have a successful athletics program, they will make efforts to do so.

From there, they'll hire a competent AD and support him financially, within school and system rules. From there, it will snowball with an AD that will hire contentment fund raising staff, increasing Alumni donations and corporate sponsorship, and hiring a competent Head Coach who will bring in talented coaches and student athletes.

It's what happened at A&T and NCCU, and is happening at PV and other HBCU programs.
Ah, there are breaks at almost every part of the process at Missouri State.

• We don't have a competent AD. Our President has no interest in replacing him.
  • We make token efforts to fund raise, and money will not be allocated to increase that.
  • We have an "alumni association", but no alumni chapters. From personal experience, their fund raising efforts consist of calling me at 9 pm on a weeknight.
  • We've been losing for so long that we don't know what a competent head coach looks like. As time goes on, Terry Allen looks more and more like a competent coach who just hit our program's low ceiling, he didn't look all that competent at the time because I did not realize how low the ceiling really was back then.

When it's going on 30 years since even token success in the sport, to me it is time to open a frank dialogue with your community. Does football actually matter at your school? If it does, where are the disconnects? How much money to fix it? Do you have enough money to fix it? Even if you do, is it worth it?