Thread: Big Sky or SoCon? Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: Big Sky or SoCon? Which Conference is Better Positioned for 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal03 View Post
    As a new FCS fan I knew nothing about the SoCon so I did some research and concluded the Big Sky is the better conference.

Musician alumni - SoCon’s Kenny Chesney vs BSC’s Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam). Winner BSC - Pearl Jam is much better than country music singer

Former Members- SoCon had almost every SEC and ACC team. The Big Sky had Boise State, Nevada, and Gonzaga.
    Winner BSC - the Big Sky got rid of a truck driving school, a school that hasn’t won a game in 77 years, and Nevada. The SoCon failed to retain every national champion of the last 20 years not name USC.

Politician - SoCon’s Mark Sanford vs BSC’s Sarah Palin
    Winner no one

NFL WR SoCon’s Terrell Owens vs BSC Cooper Kupp
    Winner SoCon

Final standings
    Big Sky 2-1-1
    SoCon 1-2-1
    Solid analysis & I’ll agree with TO over Kupp AND the departed Teams thing.

I mean, none of those early departures have experienced the thrill & pageantry of a Thanksgiving weekend 1st Round FCS Playoff game in the cold sleety rain at Butler with well over 1900 in attendance. That’s what College Football is all about; not some prepackaged made-for-Tv exhibition game in an artificial environment. The SoCon allowed those schools to deprive themselves & their Players of such a character-building experience, so they deserve to lose the in this category. You are correct!

Gotta pull the hole card on you & flip the music category though, which also gives the SoCon the win.

I’m sure Jeff Ament is a fine bassist for an outstanding band that was highly relevant in the late 90’s, but he only spent a few semesters in Missoula & he didn’t play Football or even Hoops there, as I saw reported elsewhere. https://missoulian.com/sports/meet-j...7cc0b09fa.html

On the other hand & more recently relevant, the SoCon has a Football STAR http://eweb.furman.edu/athletics/foo...nehartPOY.html - who is the LEAD Singer of his renowned band, Needtobreathe http://www.needtobreathe.com/ , which is CURRENTLY relevant and whose fame is growing with every new release.

GMA Dove Awards
    Year Award Title Result
    2008 Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Signature of Divine" Nominated
    Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year The Heat Nominated
    2009 Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Washed by the Water" Won
    2010 Group of the Year Won
    Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Lay 'Em Down" Won
    Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year The Outsiders Won
    2011 Group of the Year Won
    Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Something Beautiful" Won
    2012 Group of the Year Won
    Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Slumber" Won
    Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year The Reckoning Won
    2013 Short Form Video "Keep Your Eyes Open" Nominated
    Rock/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year "Keep Your Eyes Open" Won
    2016 Song of the Year Brother Nominated
    Grammy Awards
    Year Award Result
    2015 Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song ("Multiplied") Nominated
    So...based on Rinehart’s relevance to and stardom in the sport of FCS & SoCon Football & the recency of his musical success, I have to give him the nod over the kinda, sorta Grizzly with no association with FCS / BSC Football.

It’s the SoCon again, Sports (and Music) Fans!

Oh...almost forgot, my classmate, Mark Sanford, was a Football Cheerleader at Furman; probably the Head Cheerleader or Captain & it appears Ms. Palin, while, yes, an Idaho Alum, was only there for 3 or 4 semesters & no indication that she participated in Athletics...Football or Cheerleading as Mr. Sanford did. I think I’m gonna have to flip that one too and make it...

1-3 for the BSC...much like their recent Playoff showings...but better.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; July 10th, 2018 at 10:13 PM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model