Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
Yea, Cookus is really good. Thankfully our overall defense was a bit better (at least on that day) and we outran them in that track meet.

You are correct, Coach Fisher was the OC at Richmond before coming here last year. I definitely like him better as a person, and it seems like he can recruit pretty well, although most of that remains to be seen with only a few of his guys getting playing time last year as true freshmen. He's changed up a few things on the defense...Got a new DC and a few other staff...moving from 4-3 to 3-4 because the majority of our talent and experience is at LB right now (we honestly have like 5 LBs who are good enough to be starters). It seemed like the biggest issue with our pass defense last year (which was absolutely horrible) was where the guys were on the field and not being able to be in position to defend (SDSU TE's notwithstanding...you just can't defend him, no matter where you are). Maybe the new DC and new defensive schemes will fix that...but we just don't know yet. I do know that some change needed to be made and changes were made...so we'll see how that works out.

It looks at this point like we'll be more of a run-first offense, with WRs Lance Lenoir and Joey Borsellino graduating. McGuire is a decent running QB, RB Steve McShane is only a junior, and we've got a redshirt freshman RB (Max Norris) who REALLY impressed people in spring practices. That, plus the investment we're making in TE's tells me that running and shorter, but more accurate, passes will likely be the norm for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so looked at some stats and NAU roster losses from 2016. Their offense adjusted pretty well to backup QB for most part, so their system must be pretty good. FYI fo your game, their defense is losing a lot of their top tacklers, including their stud pass rusher. I suspect they will have hard time getting of the field and they're going to be in a lot of high scoring games, especially in Big Sky. For us, that is good news being on road .. our OL new OL won'tt be tested too much in our week 5 game against them. And our defense should be clicking enough to win a higher scoring game like 38 to 31 type game. Playing at 7000 foot elevation wil be interesting .. that could take some adjustments ... and oxygen. I'm assuming they won't be able to run on us much at all, and will be hurrying it up and airing it out. We have very good depth this season on defense, especially with DL and DB groups .. so we will have guys to rotate in/out if needed .. and we tend to slow things down on offense .. always huddle and work the clock, rarely do hurry up unless absolutely needed .. at 7000 feet, I doubt that will change.