Quote Originally Posted by MUHAWKS View Post
C-Hen is usually spot on but gotta agree with Fordham here- Chesney was a great in game coach, not to mention recruiter and clearly always prepared. These last few HC teams were rarely flat and when things were not going the best they always seemed to turn it on. Yes, No Sluka ad things are vastly different but I bet there are coaches that would have messed it up.
The ball definitely seemed to bounce our way during the Chesney era. Seemed the opposite when we had Gilmore. Winning programs create their own luck.

With regards to Sluka, Holy Cross would've been a Top 25 team and a beast of a Patriot League squad without him under Chesney. With him we were a national title contender at our peak. The "luck" finally seemed to even out a bit in 2023 -- if only Matt hadn't stepped out of bounds against BC, we'd have been in the playoffs. And I honestly think we'd have been just as much of a force to be reckoned with in the postseason in '23 as we had been in '22.

The Bob Chesney hire was a grand slam home run for Holy Cross. I have no doubt he will continue to make a name for himself at JMU and beyond.