Thread: Southern Conference Week 11 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: Southern Conference Week 11 Power Rankings/Pick 'Em

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Said it a few times, but I'm really excited about the future with this young stable of running backs. Devin Wynn seems to have a 50+ yard touchdown carry almost every week.

Good example of Devin Wynn's versatility. This play, in my opinion, had no reason to be a touchdown. Furman is in a splitback shotgun look and UTC crashes in from both sides. This looks like an option play and a bad read by Roberts, but it may just be a straight give with a little English carrying out the look of the option.

Not a great block by the RG on Isaiah Mack (who, admittedly, isn't easy to block). I can hear my old defensive line coach, though, screaming about over penetration. Mack gets in the backfield, but he overruns the play and takes himself out.

The rest is just Wynn. I presume UTC has some boys that can run in the defensive backfield. Wynn makes them look like they are running with bricks tied to their feet. That boy can scoot.

Another nice run by Corey Watkins. Watkins is probably the most punishing of the three backs, and reminds me a lot of a guy that also wore #31, Brandon Mays. Good speed, tough guy to tackle, and runs HARD.

Upon second look, I think this the the same play run to the other side. If you can get 16 yards against 8 in the box, you'll be alright.

That’s actually the Center blocking back on Mack. VERY difficult to snap the ball & take a flat enough step to get something on a hard-charging DLman, who is probably jumping the snap count also. Ideally, if he does that, you just get a wee little piece of him & he takes himself out of the play...as you noted that he did. OL WIN! Yay!

The play is a counter-trap with Option motion. The inside-out positioning of the OT’s going up on the LB’s tells me this is a predetermined give / trap...and the option fakes are window dressing. Love this play...and so many others the ‘Dins are running!! BTW - that EXACT play was a staple of the Paladin Offenses of the late 70’s and 80’s. 22/23 Trap - the counter to 32/33 Veer. Everything old is new again! Happy days are here again!
    Last edited by FUBeAR; November 6th, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model