Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Predictions...Who do you think will be the next NDSU head football coach?

AGS FCS Champion

Re: Predictions...Who do you think will be the next NDSU head football coach?

Quote Originally Posted by Preferred Walk-On View Post
    I don't disagree with you, and I suspect some of the same things were said about Entz when deciding to replace Klieman. Yet it is unclear that that assisted in maintaining the current success...or culture (and it has been argued elsewhere to the contrary).

While I don't think anyone can reasonably argue about Entz's success at NDSU (only way he could go was down, and it is not a precipitous drop by any means...and we Bison fans have been spoiled), one can conjecture about the culture a bit. To be fair to Entz, the transfer portal and NIL are really beasts that have contributed to his perceived decline in success and maybe even the culture change. I think the potential problem is that Roehl has been along for the entirety of that ride. So, what would he do differently (or not) to change the culture (or not)? Or maybe there isn't a culture problem at all, and we really should blindly support hiring Coach Roehl. I do believe there might be a bit of a culture problem (remember Tutsie interview after SIU loss, or more recently, Kava interview following UND loss).

My point with the previous post is that Cam Miller will not be here in two years (or maybe next year, if he follows through with his indirect threat). Luke Bacon is not here. The next coach will need to deal with 1, 2, 4.5 years down the line (when yet other current players will not be here), until that coach moves on (maybe?). A coach that has NFL experience or FBS experience might be one that could entice recruits to stay and entice future recruits, beyond the Cams and Lukes, to come to (and stay at?) NDSU. If one is worried exclusively about the current recruits/players, then one would never, ever hire outside the program [unless NDSU is getting Deion Sanders ].

Fairness in conversation, I am not against Coach Roehl being hired as Head Coach. I just think letting the current players potentially dictate this is a mistake. Especially since the program will continue after those players are gone.
    Yeah, I don't think we're disagreeing here. Say, hypothetically, Larsen has interviewed Roehl, Polasek, and Vigen, solicited advice of current/former stakeholders who know one or all of them, and came away convinced that one of the latter 2 was the best choice and is now dealing with blowback from that decision I'd be on board with an external hire and him making it crystal clear to these current players why he made the decision he did - then if they transfer so be it. I'd also add that it's a ball-sy move because, if it backfires, he's going to be left holding the bag for that decision.

I'm not as convinced as some are that this Bison football program is crumbling from within. The hyper-transfer activity caused by the changing rules and NIL isn't something that Klieman or Bohl ever had to deal with while at NDSU. I don't think just anyone could've coached the Bison to titles in 2019 and 2021 or gotten then into the title game in 2022. The program was bound to take a step back at some point but I've been super encouraged by how this team has bounced back from where they were at in mid-October after that UND loss and that's a testament to the coaching and the culture.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBacker View Post
    Or Roehl because Matt Larson will be lazy and take the easy route.
    And that dumbass Larsen never tells anyone anything. If it's Roehl than go ahead and announce it. If we're looking elsewhere then say it. Just do something. But I suppose even passing on information is too much work for Matt Larsen.
    I'm a Democrat for life. trump made sure of that.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, I don't think we're disagreeing here. Say, hypothetically, Larsen has interviewed Roehl, Polasek, and Vigen, solicited advice of current/former stakeholders who know one or all of them, and came away convinced that one of the latter 2 was the best choice and is now dealing with blowback from that decision I'd be on board with an external hire and him making it crystal clear to these current players why he made the decision he did - then if they transfer so be it. I'd also add that it's a ball-sy move because, if it backfires, he's going to be left holding the bag for that decision.

I'm not as convinced as some are that this Bison football program is crumbling from within. The hyper-transfer activity caused by the changing rules and NIL isn't something that Klieman or Bohl ever had to deal with while at NDSU. I don't think just anyone could've coached the Bison to titles in 2019 and 2021 or gotten then into the title game in 2022. The program was bound to take a step back at some point but I've been super encouraged by how this team has bounced back from where they were at in mid-October after that UND loss and that's a testament to the coaching and the culture.

I've never gotten this feeling from anyone I've talked to. Any successful program cannot stay on top forever. If this year is a "step back" I think 100% of teams would take it.

The Bison football program has had a "winning culture" since Darrel Mudra in the early 60s and it will continue after Entz.

The Don of the MVFC Mafia BisonBacker's Avatar
    My Team
    North Dakota State
    Where ever I happen to be when you are reading this!

Quote Originally Posted by ysubigred View Post
    Me thinks IDGAF.. Seems you clowns could get Larry, Moe, or Curly as a coach and still win ****ing championships..

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
    To anger a Republican lie to them. To anger a Democrat tell them the truth.
    If God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have given us plaid shirts--Floyd R. Turbo
    I only kill in self defense-what would you do if a rabbit pulled a knife on you?. Floyd R. Turbo
    We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

Major FCS Ruler
    My Team
    ETSU

And to think Tyler Roehl was a finalist for the ETSU job when Randy Sanders retired. One has to wonder where would ETSU be if Roehl was hired? I would submit ETSU would likely give the Bison a run for their money next season, that is if Roehl was still at ETSU by that time.
    Once upon a time, my alma mater was a college football desert in the middle of SEC/SoCon country. But then ETSU leadership brought back football and brought on as head coach:

- Carl Torbush, whose teams were nothing to write home about
    - Randy Sanders, who brought ETSU unprecedented success with two SoCon titles
    - George Quarles, who basically ran the team into the ground AND GOT FIRED! (Bye Felicia!)

ETSU Football: Now playing in a football stadium near you.

AGS FCS Champion

Preparing for a tumultuous few days upcoming for NDSU football... sounds like they're going to hire Wyoming OC Tim Polasek (who also was an assistant under Craig Bohl at NDSU and Chris Klieman's OC from 2014-2016) to be the next head coach. Also rumors that NDSU Athletic Director Matt Larsen, who is making the hire, is on his way out the door to (presumably) greener pastures as well. Can Polasek retain Tyler Roehl as offensive coordinator? Roehl was heavily backed by the current players so if he doesn't return I'd expect NDSU to be gutted by the transfer portal. I'd have to imagine if Roehl does come back he's going to be moving on within a year or two tops since I'm sure the reason he was passed up for the job is that he has no network or experience outside of NDSU.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Top FCS Advocate
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Preparing for a tumultuous few days upcoming for NDSU football... sounds like they're going to hire Wyoming OC Tim Polasek (who also was an assistant under Craig Bohl at NDSU and Chris Klieman's OC from 2014-2016) to be the next head coach. Also rumors that NDSU Athletic Director Matt Larsen, who is making the hire, is on his way out the door to (presumably) greener pastures as well. Can Polasek retain Tyler Roehl as offensive coordinator? Roehl was heavily backed by the current players so if he doesn't return I'd expect NDSU to be gutted by the transfer portal. I'd have to imagine if Roehl does come back he's going to be moving on within a year or two tops since I'm sure the reason he was passed up for the job is that he has no network or experience outside of NDSU.
    I'm hoping the rumor that Larsen is gone too is true. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't announce the new coach any time soon. That seems to be his style.
    I'm a Democrat for life. trump made sure of that.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Izzo say it is Polasek. Be interesting to see who all stays.
    Skeptics are blessed with ignorance, while pessimists are cursed with knowledge.

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

My Team
    North Dakota State

If God didn't want us to hunt, He wouldn't have given us plaid shirts--Floyd R. Turbo
    I only kill in self defense-what would you do if a rabbit pulled a knife on you?. Floyd R. Turbo
    We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

My Team
    North Dakota State

It's is POLASEK!!!!!!