Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Riley Stapleton

Re: Riley Stapleton

This would be a minor infraction and no real punishment in the past - maybe miss a half or one game. Welcome to the #MeToo era boys - I'd be shocked if it isn't something bad.
    Delaware Football in the Dumpster and Henzone reads all my posting here

Quote Originally Posted by bluehenbillk View Post
    This would be a minor infraction and no real punishment in the past - maybe miss a half or one game. Welcome to the #MeToo era boys - I'd be shocked if it isn't something bad.
    I don't know that I'd call that a minor infraction.

My Team
    Elon

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    I don't know that I'd call that a minor infraction.
    Same here... Not sure it should be thought of as minor for a student athlete. We hold our kids to high standards, we should hold our student athletes to even higher standards. They are representatives of the schools and potential icons in the future.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

From what I've heard about Cig(other syllables here) I'd bet Riley will no longer be a Duke once this all finishes.

2011, '12, '13, '14 '15 '17 '18 & '19 National Champions

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

I'm all for holding athletes more accountable for off the field conduct, but I honestly don't see any reason the punishment shouldn't be light.

For those of you who don't know, when you're no longer a minor and you get arrested or charged with a crime, let alone convicted, it usually stays on record for the rest of your life, which has a lot of down-the-line consequences for job applications and other things. I'm too lazy to look up Stapleton's age or the details I read yesterday, but this happened after he turned 18. Considering the punishment was pretty light and it's a misdemeanor, I don't see the need for severe punishment (more than a game or two suspension). Maybe I'm biased because I work with lawyers and hear about a lot of instances where relatively minor mistakes people make between 18 and 24 follow them for the rest of their life.

Meanwhile, playing football, so long as he doesn't make a similar mistake again, can help him prevent that outcome. Just my two pennies worth, I'm not starting a big argument about criminal justice or collateral consequences.

A little more background here. Curt Cignetti was an assistant under Saban at Alabama 2007-2010, before taking a big pay cut to take the HC job at Div II Indiana of Pennsylvania (IUP) in 2011. Curt wanted the opportunity to be a HC, and Curt’s father Frank, now in the Div II HOF, had been the HC at IUP 1986-2005. IUP slipped after Frank Sr retired, and Curt quickly returned them to being a Div II power.

Meanwhile Riley Stapleton was at the local HS, Indiana HS, from 2011-2015 before coming to JMU. Riley's younger brother Dylan (JMU's leading TE last season) I think was a year behind Riley at Indiana HS. Dylan played at Div II Slippery Rock before transferring to JMU as a walk on, so the 2 brothers could play together for 2 seasons. Cignetti's daughter Natalie was at Indiana HS a year ahead of Riley. During Cignetti's hiring press conference at JMU he joked about how he knew Riley very well- Riley was always over at his house back in Indiana. I assume Riley and Natalie might have dated. She became a Div II All American Volleyball player at IUP, think graduated last year (quite the looker going by her IUP volleyball pic).

So the fact that Coach Cignetti has known Riley for not just a few months as JMU's HC, but for 6-8 years, and the fact that Riley was at least friends with Cignetti's daughter adds a whole nother dynamic to the situation.

Stapleton Returns

Just two days after he pleaded no contest to a charge of false imprisonment in an Indiana County (Pa.) Common Pleas Court, James Madison senior wide receiver Riley Stapleton returned to Dukes practice Thursday.
    No decision regarding Stapleton’s future with the program has been decided.
    “Poor choices and decisions lead to poor consequences,” Cignetti said Thursday. “That’s all I’ve got to say.”
    The Indiana Gazette reported Stapleton was placed on probation for one year after he acknowledged charges that he restrained his former girlfriend at a house party in June of 2017 in Indiana, Pa.
    Stapleton was sent for anger management and a drug-and-alcohol evaluation, according to the newspaper.
    “We are extremely disappointed in Riley’s actions and will issue punishment in line with the court’s findings,” JMU athletics released in a statement on Wednesday through associate athletic director for communications Kevin Warner. “We will be meeting with the student athlete to communicate his punishment and then will release that accordingly.”
    https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news...t-on-left-side

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

why are we posting facebook photos from random women in their early 20s?

First Class FCS Advocate NEBison's Avatar
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Reign of Terrier View Post
    Gotta agree

My Team
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Reign of Terrier View Post
    To exhibit how creepy some of us are...