Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bucknell HC Joe Susan steps down

AGS FCS Champion

Re: Bucknell HC Joe Susan steps down

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    Seems like a force retirement to me. I he was thinking that route, he would have announce leading up to or after last game. Mid-January is a bit late. Middle of recruiting, now have to restaff. Tough. Lewisburg a tough place to turn around. Not the location or the school, but the culture. Does not seem to be any interest. Every time I've gone to Christy Mathewson we outnumbered the home team.
    Quick look on Bison board. Other than the announcement, zero reaction on board .

On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh

Quote Originally Posted by RichH2 View Post
    Quick look on Bison board. Other than the announcement, zero reaction on board .
    Exactly. Yawn. Amazing that BU excels at a lot of other sports, but football has been in the crapper for 20+ years.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Lehigh/Temple/DePaul/Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    Exactly. Yawn. Amazing that BU excels at a lot of other sports, but football has been in the crapper for 20+ years.
    Talk about a place I never venture.....as of 11 P.M. there's still only 1 post. That's sad. And the crux of the problem....

Bucknell legitimately plays second fiddle to Lewisburg HS in their own stadium. The apathy is reaching new lows out there and that's saying something. I dug a little deeper and found posts earlier in the year that suggested Bucknell should consider dropping the program.
    Temple B.B.A., DePaul M.Ed., Kansas State Ph.D. (in progress) & Lehigh Blood! Go Mountain Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Lehigh TU owl View Post
    Bucknell legitimately plays second fiddle to Lewisburg HS in their own stadium. The apathy is reaching new lows out there and that's saying something. I dug a little deeper and found posts earlier in the year that suggested Bucknell should consider dropping the program.
    While unlikely, that would be a death knell to the PL. Why? League bylaws require a minimum of five full-membership schools to sponsor any sport; therefore, if anyone other than Fordham or Georgetown drops out or changes conferences at any time, PL football is defunct.

That being said, I find it discouraging that people trot out the "they should drop football" argument to any PL school. Each of these seven schools have played for over 100 years and they want to play, or they wouldn't be in the PL.
    Last edited by DFW HOYA; January 15th, 2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Bucknell beat Holy Cross in football this year....there were probably about 300 posts on the HC board on what the hell happened...maybe 5 on Bucknell's board on how they won....they just don't seem to care, and maybe we care too much?

My Team
    Colgate

I cannot see Bucknell dropping football. Does the program need a shot in the arm? Hell, yes. It has never been the same since the death of Tom Gadd, who really had the program at a high level in 1996 and 1997.

Probably just a coincidence. But yesterday, Dartmouth got a commitment from a guy whose only other offer was from.... Bucknell.

I hope it’s not a medical issue. Otherwise the timing is very poor. He was probably let go rather than a true resignation, and if so the timing is horrible.

Justin Lustig would be a great get for them if he’s still interested. Susan was hired over him last time around.

Why is this "retirement" happening now, and not a week or two following the conclusion of Bucknell's season?

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by crusader11 View Post
    Why is this "retirement" happening now, and not a week or two following the conclusion of Bucknell's season?
    Simple really. Football is barely an afterthought at Bucknell. No urgency to deal with issues. We'll deal with it when we get around to it. Hence, he is forced out now. Absent an almost immediate hire, recruiting will be hamstrung. No doubt staff will keep trying.While academics are a central part of PL recruiting,the lack of a Head coach will severely limit prospects interest in Bucknell. Kids can get the same or better academics at the other PL schools.