Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

AGS FCS Champion Reign of Terrier's Avatar
    My Team
    Wofford

Re: SoCon 2019 Off-Season

I'm trying to follow the reasoning of people bashing the socon. It's just not there. You can say the second scheduling is weak, but the average socon team played a tougher schedule than at least 2 of the quarterfinalists (Colgate, Kennesaw State, maybe even Maine)

Put another way, if you're looking at the quality of the teams played and redacting the names of the teams and not worrying about whether those teams are within conferences or not, the socon is still tougher than a lot of bubble teams.

Mercer lost to Yale, but so did Maine by a much worse margin. The CAA gets a pass for that for some reason.

Looking at OOC against FCS, loss margin in parentheses)
    ETSU 1-1 (JSU by 7)
    Wofford 3-1 (KSU by 3)
    Furman 0-1 (didn't show up against Elon, by 38)
    Mercer 1-1 (Yale by 7)
    Citadel 1-1 (Towson by 17)
    Western Carolina 1-0
    VMI 0-0
    Chattanooga 2-0
    Samford 0-1 (by 14)

So the only team that we lost to that didn't make the playoffs was Yale...who beat quarterfinalist Maine by much worse.

We are supposed to hold it against the socon for losing to teams that were pretty tough and beating teams handily as we should have. You can say we didn't get it done in some games this year, but we were 9-6 this year in OOC, 8-4 during the regular season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    Say what you want about the socon's OOC, none of our teams lost to Butler.

I said nothing about the MVFC. The MVFC is weak this year outside of NDSU and SDSU. I am saying that you have to win an OOC playoff game in the round of sixteen. All you say is how disrespected the SoCon is but you still can’t beat an OOC team in the round of sixteen. Get back to me when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No good story starts with I was sober......

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateBison View Post
    I said nothing about the MVFC. The MVFC is weak this year outside of NDSU and SDSU. I am saying that you have to win an OOC playoff game in the round of sixteen. All you say is how disrespected the SoCon is but you still can’t beat an OOC team in the round of sixteen. Get back to me when that happens.

Well, the SoCon's hottest team didn't even get a shot in favor of 6 CAA teams, most of whom wet the bed.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by youngterrier View Post
    I'm trying to follow the reasoning of people bashing the socon. It's just not there. You can say the second scheduling is weak, but the average socon team played a tougher schedule than at least 2 of the quarterfinalists (Colgate, Kennesaw State, maybe even Maine)

Put another way, if you're looking at the quality of the teams played and redacting the names of the teams and not worrying about whether those teams are within conferences or not, the socon is still tougher than a lot of bubble teams.

Mercer lost to Yale, but so did Maine by a much worse margin. The CAA gets a pass for that for some reason.

Looking at OOC against FCS, loss margin in parentheses)
    ETSU 1-1 (JSU by 7)
    Wofford 3-1 (KSU by 3)
    Furman 0-1 (didn't show up against Elon, by 38)
    Mercer 1-1 (Yale by 7)
    Citadel 1-1 (Towson by 17)
    Western Carolina 1-0
    VMI 0-0
    Chattanooga 2-0
    Samford 0-1 (by 14)

So the only team that we lost to that didn't make the playoffs was Yale...who beat quarterfinalist Maine by much worse.

We are supposed to hold it against the socon for losing to teams that were pretty tough and beating teams handily as we should have. You can say we didn't get it done in some games this year, but we were 9-6 this year in OOC, 8-4 during the regular season.

At least 4 of those regular season wins were against Big South teams. You were very skeptical of KSU because of their weak Big South schedule. Did the SoCon beat an OOC playoff team?

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Well, the SoCon's hottest team didn't even get a shot in favor of 6 CAA teams, most of whom wet the bed.
    Yet 2 of the SoCon co-champs could not win a round of 16 playoff game.

I think there is a lot to like about what Clay Hendrix is building in Greenville.

Realistically, Furman needs to get off the mat quicker. They've been slow out of the gate the last two years and then come on strong late. Hopefully, the team will come out swinging in 2019, which will do a lot for national perception and create some energy.

Next season, Furman's biggest task is to figure out the QB situation. While the young guys have a lot of potential, many seem to think that Furman may look to the transfer market. While I do not normally like transfers, this is a clear opportunity for Furman to find a talented signal caller and surround him with some impressive talent on the offensive side of the ball.

I saw Furman continue to improve over the course of the season. I think next year, there will not be nearly as much of a learning curve with a new OC and a very young offense. If the Paladins can start 2019 like they finished 2018, they'll be a force.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

I mean, it is not my fault the committee left the best SoCon team home.
    FU all the time.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Yeah, I didn't think ETSU would go far. They had a good season but were in it by the skin of their teeth. Their 6 SOCON wins were ALL by either 2 or 3 points. Think about that a minute. Everyone knew they were not a great team. A good one, but not real good. Easily could have had a losing record. You do have to hand it to them for consistency though. They fought hard.
    FIRE THOSE CANNONS!

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think ETSU would go far. They had a good season but were in it by the skin of their teeth. Their 6 SOCON wins were ALL by either 2 or 3 points. Think about that a minute. Everyone knew they were not a great team. A good one, but not real good. Easily could have had a losing record. You do have to hand it to them for consistency though. They fought hard.
    Agree with everything you said. Impressive to win that many close games.

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    I mean, it is not my fault the committee left the best SoCon team home.
    I will let you hash that out with YT and the circular argument. I will discuss OOC games excluding the payday Clemson game.