Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Albany Favored in the NEC, All-Conference Team Named

Post Albany Favored in the NEC, All-Conference Team Named

08-18-2009 11:18 AM

Albany Favored in the NEC, All-Conference Team Named

UAlbany stands as the unanimous favorite to capture the 2009 Northeast Conference football crown, which would be its third straight. The Great Danes received eight first-place votes to finish atop an annual survey of league’s head coaches for a fourth consecutive season. Monmouth, the 2008 NEC runner-up, garnered the lone remaining first-place nod to finish second in the preseason poll, the results of which were announced during a media teleconference Tuesday morning. The Conference also unveiled its Preseason All-NEC Team during the media session, which served as a prelude to the NEC’s 14th season on the gridiron.

Read more ...

Albany picked to win a third straight NEC Title

http://www.northeastconference.org/N...asp?path=fball

Somerset, NJ -- UAlbany stands as the unanimous favorite to capture the 2009 Northeast Conference football crown, which would be its third straight. The Great Danes received eight first-place votes to finish atop an annual survey of league’s head coaches for a fourth consecutive season. Monmouth, the 2008 NEC runner-up, garnered the lone remaining first-place nod to finish second in the preseason poll, the results of which were announced during a media teleconference Tuesday morning. The Conference also unveiled its Preseason All-NEC Team during the media session, which served as a prelude to the NEC’s 14th season on the gridiron.

Central Connecticut State, which has posted a winning conference record in each of the past five seasons, claimed third in the poll ahead of Sacred Heart in fourth and Robert Morris in fifth. Embarking on its second NEC season, Duquesne was chosen sixth while new league member Bryant took seventh. Wagner, in eighth, and Saint Francis (PA), in ninth, round out the preseason selections.

The Northeast Conference kicks off the 2009 campaign on September 5 when all nine of its members take the field. Monmouth will host Duquesne to open the league schedule on September 19 in front of a NEC-TV audience, but it is not until October 3 that the NEC slate steps into full swing.

No program in Northeast Conference history has secured three consecutive outright league crowns, let alone three straight undefeated seasons. Not having lost a conference game since the 2006 season finale, Albany (9-3, 7-0 NEC) has the opportunity to accomplish both feats in 2009 and reigning NEC Coach of the Year Bob Ford welcomes back six preseason all-NEC performers to help in the effort. Walter Payton Award candidate David McCarty (Gansevoort, NY/LaSalle Institute), the league’s all-time single-season rushing leader (1,852), returns for his senior season at tailback. After moving from flanker into the backfield prior to the 2007 campaign, McCarty has rushed for a program-record 3,355 yards and 26 touchdowns in 24 games as the starter.

The Great Danes enjoy continuity at the other offense skill positions as well. All-NEC receiver Tim Bush (Saratoga Springs, NY/Saratoga Springs), who gained a fifth year of eligibility due to medical hardship, owns Albany’s single-season receptions record (67). Senior quarterback Vinny Esposito (Demarest, NJ/Northern Valley Regional) has a 17-7 career record as a starter and has thrown for 25 touchdowns to only 16 interceptions during that span.

Despite opening the 2008 season with three of four games against top-10 teams in FCS, Albany managed to lead the NEC in both scoring defense (18.2 ppg) and rushing defense (119.1 ypg). The Great Danes’ three preseason all-NEC selections had much to do with that. Sophomore defensive end Eddie Delaney (Holtsville, NY/Sachem East) made 37 tackles and broke up six passes. Senior captain Justin Brancaccio led the linebacking corps with 91 tackles. Meanwhile, senior Dave Casale (Troy, NY/Troy) was all over field in making 74 tackles and seven interceptions.....

My Team
    Central Connecticut State

Re: Albany picked to win a third straight NEC Title

Albany deserved the pick, and I think the poll is fair, but I really like CCSU chances this year - we return a lot of starters and talent.

Looking forward to a great season for all the NEC teams!

Six-Time NEC Football Champions

2019 | 2017 | 2010 | 2009 | 2005 | 2004
    FCS Playoffs - 2019, 2017

My Team
    Bryant

no way bryant only finishes in front of wagner and saint francis. I do not seem them much higher than middle of the NEC, but not 7th.

Bryant (7-4) enters its first season as a Northeast Conference member not far off from being a contender. Competing as an independent in 2008 when they began the NCAA reclassifying process, the Bulldogs defeated four of the six NEC members they faced. Head coach Marty Fine welcomes back 17 of 22 starters, 10 of whom played for one of the stingiest run defenses (99.4 ypg) in Division I FCS. Senior linebacker Pat Polomski (Franklin, MA/Franklin) made a team-high 67 tackles in his third season as a starter while classmate Don Smith (Attleboro, MA/Attleboro) tallied 8.5 sacks, broke up seven passes, and was credited with nine quarterback hurries from his defensive end position. Senior tailback Jerrell Smith (Brooklyn, NY/St. Francis Prep), who takes aim at a second consecutive 1,000-yard season, highlights a list of seven returning starters on offense. Smith posted averages of 6.2 yards per carry and 114.0 yards per contest, while Lindsey Gamble (Boston, MA/Reading Memorial) added 79.2 yards per game and scored a team-high seven touchdowns in 2008.
    Bryant Bulldogs (23rd Season)
    All-time Record: 130-120 (93-78)
    2022 Record: 4-7 (2-3)

Quote Originally Posted by dgreco View Post
    no way bryant only finishes in front of wagner and saint francis. I do not seem them much higher than middle of the NEC, but not 7th.
    I agree, but it will take some time to get respect from the other coaches. I expect Bryant to win at least 3 NEC games this year and maybe more.

My Team
    Central Connecticut State

A lot of this poll is based on respect and past performance. But Bryant was 4-2 vs the NEC last year!!!! I agree they are probably too low. But as with Duquesne, you're new to the conference and the respect will come.

For the record, here's my preseason picks, but after reader the NEC blurbs I mighst swap SHU and RMU based on the return of Heart's QB Fink:

1. CCSU - I really think this is the year. We have a lot of returning talent and a favorable NEC schedule (Albany and Monmouth at home).

2. Albany - Has been the standard bearer for the NEC. Good coaching and defense is their foundation. If their offense is on, watch out they could three-peat.

3. Monmouth - Will be very good with Sinisi back, but they will be breaking in a new QB. A very dangerous team that I won't count out.

4. Robert Morris - I think there still may be a big fall off between the top-3 and the rest of the NEC, but the Colonials are climbing the ladder. They can be a spolier.

5. Sacred Heart - I think they are possibly better than the rest, but still are a work in progress.

6. Bryant - Has made a great transition so far and beat a few NEC teams last year.

7. Wagner - I think they are bringing in better talent and more depth. Too hard to tell now, but they could be a few season away.

8. Duquesne - This ain't the MAAC. I expected a better season last year from the Dukes, but they could easily finish higher than this.

9. Saint Francis - This program is in trouble on the field. They need a few wins or recruiting is going to get even tougher and I don't see many chances for a win this year.

Six-Time NEC Football Champions

2019 | 2017 | 2010 | 2009 | 2005 | 2004
    FCS Playoffs - 2019, 2017

My Team
    Bryant

I think...

1. Albany - I think an obvious clear favorite
    2/3. toss up between Monmouth/CCSU - depends on the matchup between the two and if one stumbles.
    4/5/6. any one of Bryant/RMU/SHU (I think Bryant will probably be in the middle of the two)
    7. Duquesne - I think they are just better than Wagner and SFPA.
    8. Wagner - might be better than Duquesne, but Duquesne might steal an extra conference game from another opponent.
    9. SFPA - we keep hearing they are going to turn it around, but I still do not think they are there yet.
    Bryant Bulldogs (23rd Season)
    All-time Record: 130-120 (93-78)
    2022 Record: 4-7 (2-3)

First Class FCS Ruler Original_RMC's Avatar

I look forward to watching Bryant battle RMU on Sept 26th.
    It should be a great NEC season and wonder which program within the NEC beats a team from a so-called larger conference. There seems to be one year every year since 2005:

Albany @ Fordham (41-0)
    CCSU @ Colgate (24-22)

Albany @ Lehigh (17-16)
    Albany @ Delaware (17-10)
    CCSU @ Georgia Southern (17-13)
    Monmouth @ Fordham (23-9)
    Monmouth vs. Morgan St (26-9)
    Monmouth @ Colgate (17-12)

Albany @ Fordham (23-20)

Albany @ Hofstra (22-16)
    CCSU @ Delaware St (28-10)

2009 ????
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic8682_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Original_RMC View Post
    It should be a great NEC season and wonder which program within the NEC beats a team from a so-called larger conference. There seems to be one year every year since 2005
    Maybe more important, can somebody besides CCSU, Monmouth, and Albany get one? At least there are more opportunities for everybody than in the past.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Arrow Re: Albany picked to win a third straight NEC Title

Quote Originally Posted by Original_RMC View Post
    I look forward to watching Bryant battle RMU on Sept 26th.
    It should be a great NEC season and wonder which program within the NEC beats a team from a so-called larger conference. There seems to be one year every year since 2005:

Albany @ Fordham (41-0)
    CCSU @ Colgate (24-22)

Albany @ Lehigh (17-16)
    Albany @ Delaware (17-10)
    CCSU @ Georgia Southern (17-13)
    Monmouth @ Fordham (23-9)
    Monmouth vs. Morgan St (26-9)
    Monmouth @ Colgate (17-12)

Albany @ Fordham (23-20)

Albany @ Hofstra (22-16)
    CCSU @ Delaware St (28-10)

2009 ????