Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
Professor ... Lazy reporting ? Well NCAA reps said it and NCAA posted the article on their website .. that is where I got it, from NCAA website.

Ursus .. As for my statement that GPI is the system they lean on most .. it is the only one they have ever mentioned. Note, I didn't say they rely on GPI entirely to make their decision, just that is the system they rely on most. BTW, this is not the only time they have said it and they have never mentioned any other system that I recall.

For perspective ... This was in response to you saying they did not use GPI, which was after my claim they did in pointing out the 14 vs 33 ranking disparity. Now it seems like you're changing your argument to it isn't the only thing they rely on.
Yep, lazy reporting. It's an AP article, you'll find it in a lot of other places other than the NCAA's website. I'd challenge you to find any article that quotes the selection committee saying they used the GPI for anything other than the Pioneer League's bridge auto. Because I've seen it straight from the horse's mouth (in November 2012) that it isn't/wasn't used for anything other than that (the link to the article no longer works in the below quote): http://www.anygivensaturday.com/show...arge-Selection

Quote Originally Posted by danefan View Post
Thanks to FargoBison for posting this article.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

Contrary to some FCS public opinion, the Gridiron Power Index poll is not a primary factor.

“We use it in a very limited fashion,” said Damani Leech, director of championships and alliances for the NCAA.

Specifically, the only time the GPI is used is if a team from the non-scholarship Pioneer League is on the cusp of making the field. For a Pioneer team to make it, a team must have eight Division I wins, with two coming against a team from a league that has an automatic qualifier, and it finishes the season ranked 20th or higher in an average of three top 25 polls: the coaches’, Sports Network media and the GPI.

“So (the GPI) is used to evaluate one team, and it’s one of the components of it,” Leech said.

A Pioneer team has never made the playoffs. It’s doubtful a team has even been close.

This is not meant to demean the GPI. It’s a rather accurate rating and considering a main FCS selection factor is strength of schedule, it’s a pretty good predictor on who will get in. The litmus test will be Indiana State, which if it beats Youngstown State on Saturday, will have seven D-I victories but a high GPI.

Leech said the FCS playoff committee does its own rankings via conference calls during the season, and when the group huddles this weekend in Indianapolis, they will have that chart in front of them. Wins versus Football Bowl Subdivision teams are very much a factor, he said.