Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NDSU/UND Rivalry and UND Div I Study Results Forthcoming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NDSU/UND Rivalry and UND Div I Study Results Forthcoming

Several things of note. First off, UND and North Dakota St have no plans at playing each other on the gridiron and secondly, North Dakota has stated that they're going to be rolling out their findings on a move to Div I, which could perhaps lead to several interesting conference expansion discussions and a return of the UND/NDSU rivalry...

UND, NDSU unlikely to renew football rivalry anytime soon
    Associated Press

FARGO, N.D. - The University of North Dakota football team is playing an NCAA Division I-AA opponent next season, but it's not former archrival North Dakota State.

The Fighting Sioux, who play in Division II, have scheduled a game with I-AA Northern Iowa.

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said his counterpart at UND, Tom Buning, approached the Bison about playing a game on Oct. 21. NDSU declined and instead scheduled a game with I-A Minnesota.

UND and NDSU have not played since the Bison moved from Division II to Division I-AA after the 2003 season. Taylor said the schools are unlikely to play in the next few years.

"We've got so many things going on," he said. "Right now we just don't have the time, between trying to find a conference and filling out our schedules. That is something that is going to take a lot of discussion."

Buning said UND will keep asking. "And when the time is right we would love to renew the rivalry with NDSU," he said.

The Oct. 21 date remains open on UND's schedule.

UND recently completed a study of Division I reclassification and is expected to release its findings next week.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandf...s/14502765.htm
    -The Terror-

Not to reinvent the wheel here, but there are so many in the Big Sky Conf. that would welcome NDSU and SDSU in a heartbeat (I won't repeat who the naysayers are). UND has fallen behind and it will take a time to get out of the shadows.

NDSU is obviously trying to rise in the ranks of I-AA (and doing a very repectful job of doing so) while their former rival is wallowing. I have no problem with NDSU maintaining the tough schedule they have chosen in lieu of playing a former in state rival.

Quote Originally Posted by GOKATS
    Not to reinvent the wheel here, but there are so many in the Big Sky Conf. that would welcome NDSU and SDSU in a heartbeat (I won't repeat who the naysayers are). UND has fallen behind and it will take a time to get out of the shadows.
    Well, atleast with this study, we can see where UND believes they stand and what legitimate chance they have at moving up. Hopefully this study is done without a bias and we can get some facts, as well as legitimate thoughts and insight from the UND administration in response to what the study shows...

Quote Originally Posted by GOKATS
    NDSU is obviously trying to rise in the ranks of I-AA (and doing a very repectful job of doing so) while their former rival is wallowing. I have no problem with NDSU maintaining the tough schedule they have chosen in lieu of playing a former in state rival.
    And it includes SLC foes! I got no problem with that. SDSU is doing a pretty good job too...
    -The Terror-

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror
    Well, atleast with this study, we can see where UND believes they stand and what legitimate chance they have at moving up. Hopefully this study is done without a bias and we can get some facts, as well as legitimate thoughts and insight from the UND administration in response to what the study shows...

And it includes SLC foes! I got no problem with that. SDSU is doing a pretty good job too...
    I meant no slight whatsoever to SDSU, you're right on. I was just addressing the original topic.

First Class FCS Ruler chrisattsu's Avatar
    While I am happy the NDSU is trying to make themselves a better team and are foregoing a rivalry game for a IA payout, I still can't help but feel sad for the UND.

To me this smells like one of those, "Playing you does nothing for our program and if we lose, we look like jackasses because we are D1 and you are D2."
    Tarleton Texan - Hey Oscar P!
    Texas State Bobcat - Show 'em State!

My Team
    The North Dakota State University
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu
    While I am happy the NDSU is trying to make themselves a better team and are foregoing a rivalry game for a IA payout, I still can't help but feel sad for the UND.

To me this smells like one of those, "Playing you does nothing for our program and if we lose, we look like jackasses because we are D1 and you are D2."
    Ah!, you have it the other way around. When NDSU went I-AA, they offered UND a 4 year home and home, this would be year 3. UND said no, they wanted to play on an equal playing field, NDSU had the advantage in scholarships etc, etc. UND was the third option for Oct 21, UNI first, Minnesota second.

They will play again, probably after UND moves to I-AA.
    Living the Dream

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    South Dakota State
    North DFW. Hosting FCS champs and parties
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil Dobie
    Ah!, you have it the other way around. When NDSU went I-AA, they offered UND a 4 year home and home, this would be year 3. UND said no, they wanted to play on an equal playing field, NDSU had the advantage in scholarships etc, etc. UND was the third option for Oct 21, UNI first, Minnesota second.

They will play again, probably after UND moves to I-AA.
    Gil/Bison fans - Is there ANY likely scenerio that UND moves to D-1, and ISN'T in the SAME CONFERENCE as NDSU or SDSU, especially for football? I just don't see them moving up without tying into their I-29 rivals. Too remote without us. Great West or Big Sky, I just see us as their year in year out rivals. Staying D-2, they have the NCC. Moving up? not without Rabbits and Bison to play against.
    Rabid Rabbit

Rabbits will smack you in the face, knock you down, help you up and do it all over again - McNeese75

My Team
    The North Dakota State University
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidRabbit
    Gil/Bison fans - Is there ANY likely scenerio that UND moves to D-1, and ISN'T in the SAME CONFERENCE as NDSU or SDSU, especially for football? I just don't see them moving up without tying into their I-29 rivals. Too remote without us. Great West or Big Sky, I just see us as their year in year out rivals. Staying D-2, they have the NCC. Moving up? not without Rabbits and Bison to play against.
    One interesting scenario is UND to the Big Sky, NDSU/SDSU to the Mid-Con/Gateway. It's all speculation of course. NDSU to a conference is my may concern.
    Living the Dream

There was an older gent in my choral group who went to NDSU and proudly wore a Bison sweatshirt to many rehearsals. Boy, he hated UND! He said that UND people tended to look down on NDSU students as "aggies" and second-class citizens. I wouldn't be surprised if the bad blood appears when the football rivalry is renewed.

My Team
    North Dakota State
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisattsu

When NDSU went DI the school offered to extend the rivalry by giving UND a contract to continue to play for 4 more years and it even gave UND two home games (NDSU said we will continue the rivalry as long as UND wants to). UND turned the offer down rudely just to spite NDSU(because we needed games badly) and now a lot of bad blood exists between the two for this and a few other reasons. Don't feel sad for UND they made their own bed and now they have to lay in it. The two schools will play again but I doubt it will happen any time during the next few years.