Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I-AA Conference Realignment

I-AA Conference Realignment

More and more I-AA schools are 'appearing' on the map each year. In recent years, we've added Southeastern Louisiana, Northern Colorado and Coastal Carolina to name a few.

This year, we have several schools announcing their desires to jump from Div II to I-AA or reinstating football. Central Arkansas. Presbyterian. Campbell. Winston Salem State. North Carolina Central. We could even see Lamar announce an attempt to get football rolling. Definitely more schools making the jump from Div II or non-existance than those making the move from I-AA to I-A.

With all these moves, do you see any conference realignments happening in the near future? Div I sports in general, I-A for football purposes just had a major shift with schools moving from Sun Belt to WAC, Big East to ACC, C-USA to Big East, etc, etc. Is it time for I-AA to have some shifts?

There was talk on another thread of a San Diego becoming scholarship and starting a California/Arizona-based conference. What will happen with the Dakota schools? There's been talks of all these different schools wanting to move to the SoCon for several years (or atleast their fans wanting them to do so). Could more non-scholarship schools move to scholarship schools?

Thoughts?
    -The Terror-

Hopefully more I-AA west of the rockies, but I don't think there are any more schools on the horizon. I don't think there's any reason to think San Diego will be adding scholarships - I haven't heard anything from anyone associated with the school - it's mostly just offseason hopeful gossip from westerners

Quote Originally Posted by ucdtim17
    Hopefully more I-AA west of the rockies, but I don't think there are any more schools on the horizon. I don't think there's any reason to think San Diego will be adding scholarships - I haven't heard anything from anyone associated with the school - it's mostly just offseason hopeful gossip from westerners
    Why don't you invite them to the GWFC anyway?

You are not gonna forget me. GO CATS! catamount man's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina
    A new conference called the Mountain East Conference could look like this:

Western Carolina
    Appalachian State
    VMI
    James Madison
    Tennessee Tech
    Eastern Kentucky
    East Tenn.State (if and when football is restored)
    UT-Chattanooga

2 from NC, 2 from VA, 1 from Kentucky, and 3 from Tennessee. A pretty good balance.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

retired
    Central Arkansas and Winston Salem State announced last year. North Carolina Central and Presbyterian announced this year (if their applications are accepted). Campbell also announced this year and is the only D-I in the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph
    Central Arkansas and Winston Salem State announced last year. North Carolina Central and Presbyterian announced this year (if their applications are accepted). Campbell also announced this year and is the only D-I in the lot.
    So what does that mean for playoff eligibility? I know that with no schollies and it being their first year (since 1950 anyway), it probably doesn't matter, but if they're D-I in other sports, are they playoff eligible immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by catamount man
    A new conference called the Mountain East Conference could look like this:

Western Carolina
    Appalachian State
    VMI
    James Madison
    Tennessee Tech
    Eastern Kentucky
    East Tenn.State (if and when football is restored)
    UT-Chattanooga

2 from NC, 2 from VA, 1 from Kentucky, and 3 from Tennessee. A pretty good balance.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
    I don't think you would see JMU leave the A10; too many state rivals there....

retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod
    So what does that mean for playoff eligibility? I know that with no schollies and it being their first year (since 1950 anyway), it probably doesn't matter, but if they're D-I in other sports, are they playoff eligible immediately?
    Yes, Campbell is out-the-box set. Just like CCU and SLU were recently. WSSU and UCA have four years left, NCCU and PC are just starting their five year transition (and can still back out before 6/2007).

AGS FCS Champion
    Wasn't NCCU under investigation for allegedly using illegal headsets during games? I thought the coach was caught on video using one with hooked up to the QBs helmet? Hmm.. maybe nothing came of it...but I'll be the QB will be the first to know....:coach: :doh:
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

retired
    Quote Originally Posted by UCABEAR
    Wasn't NCCU under investigation for allegedly using illegal headsets during games? I thought the coach was caught on video using one with hooked up to the QBs helmet? Hmm.. maybe nothing came of it...but I'll be the QB will be the first to know....:coach: :doh:
    It was an NCCU student (not on the football team) assaulted by the Duke Lax team...