April 11, 2011

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. - Bethune-Cookman's annual spring football game has become more than an annual evaluation of off-season practice. It's now officially an event unto itself as part of an effort to partner with local communities.

After holding the game in DeLand last season, Ormond Beach will be the site of this year's game on Saturday, April 16 at 4 p.m. at the Ormond Beach Sports Complex, 700 Hull Road. The Complex will also host the Wildcats softball program and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference championship next Month.

B-CU Athletic Director Lynn Thompson is an Ormond Beach resident who is excited about bringing his football program to his hometown.

"As part of our `Cats in the Community' program, the goal is to expose B-CU not only to the world, but our own community as well," Thomson said. "Bringing our spring game to Ormond Beach provides an opportunity to showcase our great football program to many potential new fans."

Head Brian Jenkins is also looking forward to playing in Ormond Beach.

"It's a tremendous opportunity and I'm always eager to showcase what the Wildcats have in store," Jenkins said. "This game gives us a chance to celebrate our accomplishments, look forward to another exciting season and fellowship as fans, alumni and members of the Wildcat family."

The spring game is one of two events that now make April 15-16 "Spring Game Weekend."

On Friday, April 15, B-CU's two All-Pro alumni - Nick Collins of the Green Bay Packers and Eric Weems of the Atlanta Falcons- will host the inaugural "Pros vs. Joes" Charity Basketball Game in historic Moore Gymnasium at 7 p.m. Proceeds from the game will benefit the Nick Collins Jump Start Foundation and the B-CU football program.

In addition to Collins and Weems, former B-CU players Stevie Baggs Jr. of the CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Damion Cook of the United Football League's Omaha Nighthawks are expected to play along with Philadelphia Eagle All-Pro Cornerback Asante Samuel, Benny Sapp of the Miami Dolphins and Abdul Hodge of the Carolina Panthers.

Jenkins is also expected to showcase his basketball abilities as well along with other local celebrities like Police Chief Mike Chitwood and NBA referee Eric Lewis.

"We'll see how many minutes I get," the coach kidded. "It'll be great to see our alumni back on the campus after the stellar seasons they've had and renew ties with other alumni in a fun atmosphere."

Tickets for the basketball game are $5 general admission and $3 for B-CU students with ID. Spring game admission is $5 for general admission and $1 for B-CU students with ID.

I wish I was in Daytona Beach this weekend. This will be a nice event.