Thread: SHSU vs SFA - Battle of the Piney Woods Game Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SHSU vs SFA - Battle of the Piney Woods Game Thread

Starting this a bit early, since there's plenty of SFA-SHSU discussion that is bursting at the seams...

Note: Additional information will be added to this thread, as it becomes available.

Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks vs Sam Houston State Bearkats
    October 23, 2010 · 2 p.m · Reliant Stadium · Houston, Texas
    The Battle of the Piney Woods

Following the Game
    TV: Southland TV Network
    Live Audio - SHSU 1 - SHSU 2
    Live Blog - SFA (will be available later)
    Live Video: SLC Now

Game Day Weather Information (courtesy of the Weather Channel) -
    Reliant Stadium

Game Notes
    SFA - http://sfajacks.cstv.com/photos/scho...ly-release.pdf
    SHSU - Not available as of post time

Twitter Feeds

Team Web Sites

Other Helpful Links

Team Fan Sites

Related Threads
    -The Terror-

Re: Sam Houston St vs Stephen F. Austin - Battle of the Piney Woods Game Thread

If anyone has ticket updates, please post...

The most recent update stated that 16,000 tickets had been solid and that just 9,000 tickets remain for the contest...

Of note, the 1,000 tickets that were purchased by an anonymous donor for SHSU students were all bought up for $5 a piece. That means that a nice chunk of the SHSU student body has tickets and hopefully both schools did some nice selling of the tickets at their games today.

Also, all premium tickets are sold out...

Walk-up figures to be pretty good...
    -The Terror-

Re: Sam Houston St vs Stephen F. Austin - Battle of the Piney Woods Game Thread

Our annual reminder of the SFA Super Fan - Caleb Fisher!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br7nbAzYPyA
    -The Terror-

Frequent FCS Advocate

Re: SHSU vs SFA - Battle of the Piney Woods Game Thread

Well guys, it's that week again. It happens every year and is one of the more fun weeks of the year for one of the most underrated rivalries in Texas. It's going to be fun this Saturday in what has shaped up to be a pretty good contest. I've got my tickets and will be there decked in purple.

The 'Jacks have managed to take care of business since the opening loss at Texas A&M, with every phase of the game contributing. Everyone seems to talk about the SFA offense, but if you look closer you will see that the defense and special teams have scored six touchdowns this season with INT returns, kick & punt returns, as well as a pair of blocked kicks that scored. Oh, and there are a pair of safeties in there too. It's always a luxury to be able to score points when you don't directly have the football.

With that being said, it's not like they are not vulnerable. This is the best defense in the SLC this year, all statistics aside, with a solid offensive line and an outstanding group of backers. The thing I will be interested to see is how David Gibbs' plans to attack the SHSU rushing game, more specifically Tim Flanders.

Flanders has quickly proven that he is the best back in the SLC, a league that has had its fair share of good RBs; however, the only RB to rush for 100 yards this year was Cristine Michael of A&M in the first game of the year. Since then, the only 100-yard rusher was the QB from UNI, who really bulked his stats with two really big runs, but no RB has really been close to the century mark.

I'm curious as to what type of offense Fritz has installed there at SHSU this year since I have not had a chance to watch them this season up to this point. From what I can tell, a spread attack has been much more effective in moving the football against the SFA defense rather than a pro-style attack (again, with the exception of the A&M game). On Saturday against UCA the Bears had much more success in the hurry-up game rather than when they lined up in the I-formation and ran it right at the D.

I know Brian Bell ran a pass-happy spread offense at China Spring, but I also see that he has not been asked to throw the ball much at all this year, which is the smart thing to do when you have run the ball as effectively as you have.

Somehow this game reminds me of last season's Southeastern/SFA game in Hammond, though, as the Lions were the surprise of the SLC late in the season before hosting SFA in the second-to-last week of the season. The 'Jacks went in there and dominated that game, and when this team is clicking, they are explosive enough to do that on Any Given Saturday (like the plug?).

Again, I'm very much looking forward to this Saturday and a great game and I am extremely impressed at the progress the Kats have made in such a short time; but, I think this really has the chance to be a reality check for SHSU. But if they can keep it close, maybe the Kats could pull an upset, I just don't see it happening. The 'Jacks are seasoned and tested and in the last five weeks have won games in nearly every way possible.

Either way, it's just going to be great to be there. Go Jacks!

Bearkats open up BOPW week with a 2-0 record against SFA... the new Kats defeat SFA in the 'Battle of the Piney Lanes' on a neutral playing surface in Arlington... congrats!
    -The Terror-

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror View Post
    Bearkats open up BOPW week with a 2-0 record against SFA... the new Kats defeat SFA in the 'Battle of the Piney Lanes' on a neutral playing surface in Arlington... congrats!
    What was the attendance? 40/60? Did they sell out the student tickets for the match? What was the tailgating like? Man I'm sorry I missed such a big event.

ps. college bowling is a joke. Thanks title 9