http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle...CLID=205006781

RICHMOND, Va. (October 5, 2010) -- CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager released the following statement today in regards to issues surrounding the Delaware/James Madison game, Oct. 2, at JMU’s Bridgeforth Stadium.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT
In consultation with the conference’s supervisor of officials and the game referee, I have determined the play in which Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin was injured was not an unsportsmanlike act.

Our supervisor and game referee have distinguished officiating experience and their extensive postgame video review has concluded the play was an acceptable play which did not warrant a penalty. I respect and concur with that opinion.

The CAA is concerned with any injury to any player, particularly concussion injuries, which are a special point of emphasis this year. Player safety will always be at the forefront of our interests.

This was a hard fought game between two undefeated and Top-5 ranked teams which was not decided until the final seconds of the game. It was exactly the type of contest expected from these two respected championship programs. There were 17 penalties called in the game, but none were determined to be personal fouls for aggressive play such as unnecessary roughness or late hits. Our game officials also reported the players on the field were not overly engaged in taunting, which is often the case in games of this magnitude.

I am aware that prior to and after the game there were several public comments by both teams which have fueled rumors and innuendo about the game. The CAA Football office will address its concerns about certain inappropriate comments with the involved individuals and their institutions. All such matters will be handled privately and internally.